- [Mongoose Publishing] 2300AD: Ships of the French ArmPosted 4 days ago
- [Modiphius] Mutant: Year Zero Free PreviewPosted 4 days ago
- [DramaScape] Canal SidePosted 5 days ago
- [Wizards of the Coast] Dungeons & Dragons 5th Edition Player’s HandbookPosted 1 week ago
- Battle BunkerPosted 1 week ago
- [Precis Intermedia] EarthAD.2Posted 1 week ago
- [Chronicle City] @ctiv8 for FATE CorePosted 2 weeks ago
- PainKillerPosted 2 weeks ago
- [Chronicle City] Tianxia: Blood, Silk & Jade FATE SettingPosted 2 weeks ago
- [Chronicle City] The Robotic AgePosted 2 weeks ago
With smartphones and tablets becoming more popular amongst gamers, I felt it was time to have a look at the different applications (or apps as they are more commonly called) that a gamer may find useful. It is hoped that this list will constantly evolve with suggestions from visitors through the comments section. If you have views on an app that is (or isn’t) listed, please let us have them. If you can provide a link to Google Play so much the better.
I realise that Android isn’t the only smartphone/tablet operating system. Unfortunately though, it is the only one I have access to. If someone wants to produce a similar article aimed at the iPhone/iPad and/or other tablets, I will be more than happy to host it here for them.
UK Role Players does not recommend any particular app and this listing is provided as a resource.
Some apps have nothing to do with roleplaying by design, but are just too useful not to install.
Evernote is an easy-to-use, free app that helps you remember everything across all of the devices you use. Stay organized, save your ideas and improve productivity. Evernote lets you take notes, capture photos, create to-do lists, record voice reminders–and makes these notes completely searchable, whether you are at home, at work, or on the go.
Annotate, Listen, and Fill out PDF Form. ezPDF Reader is the Best Selling and the Best Rated Multimedia PDF viewer, annotator, and form filler.
Clearly presented without the fluff, documents appear as they would on your PC, but customized to fit your mobile device’s screen. Scanned and text based PDFs are all supported, including JPEG2000 and JBIG2 compression. Select Text Reflow, Fit to Text Column, Copy and paste text in PDF view and bookmark as you go or Change Reading Direction to ease reading.
Mindjet Maps for Android
The best way to visually capture and organize information! Brainstorm ideas, take notes, and track tasks from the convenience of your Android device.
- Quick and Easy Information Capture – Use it for note taking, brainstorming, or creating tasks. Manage supporting information via attachments, links and notes.
- Anytime, Anywhere Access – Take your work with you and access it from your Android device whenever, wherever.
- Feature Packed – Mindjet for Android comes loaded with powerful features accessible through an intuitive menu. Mapping features, text styling, topic styling, relationships, and tools (attach, links, export, etc.).
- Tagging – Use keywords to organize and sort your Mindjet files. Makes it easier to search for maps as well.
- Gesture Shortcuts – Replaces the keyboard shortcuts for easy to use gesture shortcuts designed to bring the most common commands right to your fingertips.
- Dropbox Support – Sync your Mindjet files from your phone to your PC with Dropbox.
- Mindjet File Format (.mmap).
- Support for Android 2.1 and later.
Make it perfect with Skitch.
Skitch lets you communicate important ideas in an instant. Snap a photo, mark it up, and send it on. Use Skitch to mark up a PDF, snap your screen, annotate a photo, or create something new with a blank canvas. Getting your point across has never been easier.
Dice apps are ten-a-penny on Google Play so I’ve only included a few that I thought quite useful.
DiceShaker D&D is a 3D RPG dice roller app with realistic graphics and advanced physics. It contains a full set of polyhedral dice for role-playing game sessions.
- d4, d6, d8, d10, d12 and d20 RPG dice, including percentage dice
- shake the phone or tap the screen to roll the dice, or flick the dice individually
- switch between five separate dice screens
- realistic graphics and physics – tilt the phone upside down and the dice fall on the glass
- total score
Advanced Dice for D&D
Advanced Dice for D&D is a feature rich version of Dice for D&D. New features include logging, customizable dice rolling (2D10+8, 3D6, 1D100, etc), audio, animation, rumbling, and an advanced psuedo-random number generator that greatly reduces streaks of the same number.
RPG Dice Calculator Free
Tired of lugging around 30 dice to gaming sessions? Forget to put your d12 in your dice bag? Not enough 6-sided dice to calculate your epic character’s fireball without rolling the dice over and over again?
No problem. RPG Dice Calculator is like having an infinite bag of dice in your pocket.
RPG Dice Calculator will roll 4-sided, 6-sided, 8-sided, 10-sided, 12-sided and 20-sided dice using dice graphics. It will also roll any-sided dice using generic graphics, so you could roll 4d32 or 6d14.
You can also add pluses to your dice, so you could rold 6d6+6 or 20d6+4.
RPG Dice Calculator saves your last roll, so if you need to switch over to check out an email or make a call, you can come back in and still see your roll results.
Roleplaying apps that aren’t limited to a particular rules system.
Songs & Dragons
Songs & Dragons make it easy to introduce music on your games by using the portability of a phone or a tablet and the convenience of a touch screen. Create scenes and events and activate and deactivate them with a single touch. Say goodbye to bringing a cumbersome laptop to your game table when all you need is at the touch of a finger.
Pocket Game Master
Pocket Game Master (PGM) is a full featured android app tailored to Game Masters and players of almost any role-playing game.
While fully functional for players, Pocket Game Master really shines in the hands of the Game Master. PGM allows the game master to not only create a complete adventure right from their device, but to run that adventure from the device as well!
Of course, players can use this for their character sheets, map dungeons, jot down dungeon notes, and use the dice.
Best of all you can network between devices and interact in real time through Wifi or Bluetooth!!
Name your RPG or MMO characters – or even your baby boy, girl, dog, or pet orc! This name generator features 3,800 names from fantasy literature – with additions for comic relief. You can save or email favorites to use in your RPG’s and MMO’s. The names are sorted by gender and class: Fighter, Healer, Rogue, Wizard, Dwarf, Elf, Gnome, Halfling, & Monster.
RPG Buddy is a convenient way to keep track of initiative for characters and monsters in your tabletop role playing game session. Store the initiative bonuses of monsters, player characters, and NPCs in the library then create a set of encounters. When you need the encounter, simply bring it up in the RPGBuddy and let the system roll and keep track of initiative for you. (You may also manually enter the results from a player’s die roll.) This makes it super-easy to reroll initiative each round and also take some of the hassle out of preparing encounters. RPGBuddy also supports deleting monsters and reordering during the encounter so you can adjust things as needed while you are playing your game.
RPG Master Tool
A game master role playing tool for games like D&D, DSA, GURPS etc.
- Helps you keep track of the essential stats of characters and monsters while leading a role playing game.
- Not meant to replace your pen&papers but to have a quick view on stats while handling fights.
- Multiple role playing groups possible.
- Monsters can be grouped in advance in encounters for later use.
- Maps can be fitted with fog-of-war and displayed on another device over WIFI.
AndroNaG Random Name Generator
Create random names that make sense! Uses JaNaG name generator.
AndroNaG is a client for the open source Java Name Generator (JaNaG) server (either public or private one, network connection needed). Randomly create names for book writers, gamers, etc. Names are created using a certain morphology.
Generates more than 2.500.000 random typical names for over 30 different nationalities (plus ancient Greek and Roman). Based on statistics for the most common first and last names for each country.
D&D 3rd Edition
Still a popular rules system.
Spellbook – D&D 3.5
Spellbook serves as a quick way to look up spell descriptions during a D&D gaming session. It includes all spells from the srd 3.5, and lets you store your spells in custom lists for even faster access.
d20 Character Sheet
d20 Character Sheet consists of two main parts. The Character Sheet to keep track of your character, which you use while playing RPG. The Administration to customize the game setting to your demands. Supported game systems are DnD v.3.5. and Pathfinder. Includes a full online manual (d20CharacterSheet.com/manual.html).
The SRD (System Reference Document) for the d20 system, this is used for the Dungeons and Dragons game as well as many others.
D20 Helper Plus
A simple to use application that lets you keep track of your hit points and skills for D&D. Also has a dice roller for popular dice types, attack and damage rolls. The “Plus” version removes the ads and automatically saves your HPs and skills.
D&D 4th Edition
The latest version of the Dungeons & Dragons rules.
Sylloge D&D Compendium Search
Search and view the full Dungeons and Dragons (4e) Compendium from anywhere.Please note: a D&D Insider account is required to view stat cards just like the website. Not associated with Wizards of the Coast in any way. All Compendium material is copyright WOTC.
Combat Assistant, used for tracking initiative and status effects, intended for use with the Dungeons and Dragons rules set (4th Edition), although some users have noted it’s useful for previous editions also.Ever got confused by trying to keep track of status effects, hit points, healing surges, etc. in a game. Well, be confused no more with this versatile app for keeping track.
Useful for DMs who need to keep track of player defenses as well as hit points of their monsters. Will also automatically apply ongoing damage and check with you whether your creatures have made their saving throws. Monsters can also be pre-created and then are saved automatically to keep the flow of the game going without having to pause to add details of new creatures to the combat. Useful for players to keep track of an entire party’s details, including hit points, healing surges, temporary hit points and status effects.
Portraits can also be assigned to creatures, so you can take a photo of each player using your phone’s built in camera and then quickly assign those photos to each creature. A tutorial mode also available to show you the features of the application.
Tablet users please note that you must have an internet connection available the first time you run the app to obtain a license. Once you’ve run it once you can then use it offline until the next update.
Please note that none of the content in this application is created by or endorsed by Wizards of the Coast.
The paid version will save previously used information. With the free version, all information is lost every time you quit.
D&D Tool: Random Encounters 4e
The perfect tool for the busy DM with random monsters, magic items and treasure.
D&D Tool: Random Encounters provides the busy DM with easy-to-use random 4th edition encounters including random monster groups, a dice roller, treasure parcels and random magic items separated by type. This handy tool can be used by players wishing for a quick adventure or just to add a dose of random to a d20 campaign.
dMinion is an initiative tracking application intended for use with Dungeons and Dragons 4th Edition. This application is a supplement to DM screens. It helps remove the need for paper in your D&D game.
Power Organizer Pro
Get your power cards off the table and into your phone!Keep track of your character’s powers when playing D&D 4E without your power cards strewn about your table. Add your powers, take photos of their descriptions from your PHB or power cards, and take back that table space!
- No ads
- Track your HP, Temp HP, healing surges, XP and action points
- Honeycomb optimization
- Image cropping
Cheeky’s D&D Buddy
Track your characters’ information without the need for pencil and paper!Manage Hit Points, Surges, Action Points, Conditions, Notes, Skills/Abilities and treasure for multiple characters at the touch of a (virtual) button.
Cheeky’s D&D Buddy replaces the need for pencil and paper at your gaming table.
Switch easily between any number of characters, with all current statistics stored across sessions.
D&D 4 Android New
Take your D&D 4 character sheets everywhere… in your smartphone!
D&D 4 Android will help you to keep track of your character ability scores, defenses, health, powers, feats, skills, rituals, equipment items,…
Easily spend surges, take damage, take short or extended rest, remember the powers you used, and many other features!
Pathfinder, D&D 4E, 3.5E characters supported
- Supports creating characters from scratch
- Exported from D&D Insider online (4E) or even exported from the old software version
- Choose items, feats, spells from integrated libraries
- Dice rollers
- Combat Tracker/Initiative/Encounter Tracker
- View multiple Characters at same time (Party Viewer)
- Build campaigns with maps and encounters
- Add creatures straight from Monster library
- Magic Items
This app is optimized for both tablets and handheld screens (it automatically chooses the tablet version if your screen size is larger than 6″). Get the HD and mobile in one app (and install it on both).
The “spin-off” from 3rd Edition.
A complete compendium of Pathfinder Roleplaying Game feats & talents.
A complete compendium of Pathfinder Roleplaying Game spells.
This app provides convenient access to the spells currently available from the Pathfinder Core Rules, Advanced Players Guide, and several other sources. Additional features:
- The ability to filter spells by school, types of saves allowed, casting time, etc.
- Select your favorite spells and view them in the favorites window
Thanks to the Pathfinder SRD for providing the spell data!
Spellbook – Pathfinder
The quickest way to reference spells from the Pathfinder Roleplaying Game.Spellbook serves as a quick way to look up spell descriptions during a gaming session. It includes all spells from the Pathfinder Roleplaying Game core classes as well as classes from the Advanced Player’s Guide and Ultimate Magic source books. Here are some highlights from the app:
- Store a custom list of your spells for quick access.
- View spells by name or class and level.
- Full support of Cleric Domains, Oracle Mysteries, and Patron Themes.
- Keep notes with spells.
- Quickly jump to referenced spells by clicking links in spell descriptions.
- Easily search for spells from anywhere in the app.
- Honeycomb Tablet support
Pathfinder NPC Gallery
NPC characters to liven up your roleplaying game.This app provides you with a list of non-player characters (NPC) to use in your Pathfinder roleplaying game. It can help dungeon masters in session planning and liven up a gaming session by giving more depth to characters in any environment.
Had a rough encounter on the road? You might run into a Pilgrim (CR 3) who could tend wounds or provide a healing potion (provided you make a donation to her church, of course). Exploring a recently discovered ruin? You might run into an Archaeologist (CR 6) who can tell you secrets of relics and ancient culture.
PF RPG Reference Document
Browse the PFRPG Reference Document completely offline, with a five-level index with 11.441 choices, for a very fast consulting. PFRPG stands for PF Role Playing Game, the fantasy RPG by Paizo Publishing.
There are also other features:
- Multi-tab browsing
- Search System, with the ability to search for any word in the index.
- It is also possible to search trough “Quick search box” widget
- Search in page
- Support for large screen/honeycomb/Ice Cream Sandwich/tablet
- Five-level index, with over 11.400 choices
- Completely offline browsing
The “lite” version contains only the Core Rulebook (except magic items) and Game Mastery Guide. It also contains advertising and collects anonymous statistics usage.
Are you a Magician, a Druid or a Summoner (or similar) in PFRPG? This application will allow you to use “Summon Monster” or “Summon Nature’s Ally” spells WITHOUT handbooks. ALL you need is here, and it does not need internet connection! This Application will help you managing summoned monsters. ALL summonable monster (Based on OGL terms) are selectable in this application. PFRPG stands for PF Role Playing Game, the fantasy RPG by Paizo Publishing. Features:
- Augment Summoning
- Celestial and Fiendish
- Manage up to 5 creatures at time
- Ac, touch, flat-footed
- Spell Resistance, Damage resistance
- Fortitude, Reflex, Will
- Combat maneuver bonus (CMB), combat maneuver defense (CMD)
- Hit dice, Bonus Attack Base, Hit points
- Alignment, subtype
- Ability Scores
- Attacks and roll attack and damage, Special Attack
- Spells, Skills, Feats, Special Qualities, Defensive Abilities, Senses, Speed
The “lite” version provides all the monsters of first level and the first monster of all levels of summon monster/summon nature’s ally.