- Village Backdrop: AshfordPosted 9 hours ago
- Eternal Contenders In Stores Now!Posted 3 days ago
- Fortune’s Fool In Stores Now!Posted 3 days ago
- 17 June 2013Posted 3 days ago
- This Gaming Life: University Challenge RatingPosted 4 days ago
- The Sunken PyramidPosted 4 days ago
- Globetrotters’ Guide to Cads & CultistsPosted 7 days ago
- Rooftop TemplePosted 8 days ago
- Traveller eBook SalePosted 8 days ago
- HARP Martial Law available now for just $5.00Posted 8 days ago
With smartphones and tablets becoming more popular amongst gamers, I felt it was time to have a look at the different applications (or apps as they are more commonly called) that a gamer may find useful. It is hoped that this list will constantly evolve with suggestions from visitors through the comments section. If you have views on an app that is (or isn’t) listed, please let us have them. If you can link to the Android Market so much the better.
I realise that Android isn’t the only smartphone/tablet operating system. Unfortunately though, it is the only one I have access to. If someone wants to produce a similar article aimed at the iPhone/iPad and/or other tablets, I will be more than happy to host it here for them
Prices correct at time of publication. UK Role Players does not recommend any particular app and this listing is provided as a resource.
Some apps have nothing to do with roleplaying by design, but are just too useful not to install.
Evernote turns your Android device into an extension of your brain.
Evernote is an easy-to-use, free app that helps you remember everything across all of the devices you use. Stay organized, save your ideas and improve productivity. Evernote lets you take notes, capture photos, create to-do lists, record voice reminders–and makes these notes completely searchable, whether you are at home, at work, or on the go.
Audio & Video Multimedia PDF Reader
Annotate, Listen, and Fill out PDF Form. ezPDF Reader is the Best Selling and the Best Rated Multimedia PDF viewer, annotator, and form filler.
Clearly presented without the fluff, documents appear as they would on your PC, but customized to fit your mobile device’s screen. Scanned and text based PDFs are all supported, including JPEG2000 and JBIG2 compression. Select Text Reflow, Fit to Text Column, Copy and paste text in PDF view and bookmark as you go or Change Reading Direction to ease reading
Good for application forms, school tests, and contracts. Fill out your Tax Form with ezPDF Reader.
Fill out the contract form, sign with Freehand, and send via email from the file manager (My docs).
Multimedia PDF Viewer – Audio, Video, and TTS (using built-in Text-to-Speech feature).
Get convenient, hassle-free PDFs directly to your Android device with ezPDF Reader. It also plays multimedia files embedded into PDF. Perfect solution for PDF based audio/video-enabled Ebooks, such as children’s books and instructional books. (Multimedia file format must be compatible to your Android device, However, no support for Flash) Use Voice Reading feature to have documents read to you with the continuous automatic page-turning feature. (It uses TTS feature of the hardware settings).
Annotation Features on PDF – No need to print for marking.
Useful tool to add text in text box and sticky notes; highlight, underline, or cross out texts; draw rectangles, ovals and freehand drawings. Add memo & image, change color / thickness, resize and move them around as you like. All these comments are compatible with Adobe® Acrobat®. (PC or Mac version)
There is a Lite version costing £0.64 for those users who just want PDF viewing capability with advance reading features.
The best way to visually capture and organize information!
Introducing Mindjet® for Android™
The best way to visually capture and organize information! Brainstorm ideas, take notes, and track tasks from the convenience of your Android device.
- Quick and Easy Information Capture – Use it for note taking, brainstorming, or creating tasks. Manage supporting information via attachments, links and notes.
- Anytime, Anywhere Access – Take your work with you and access it from your Android device whenever, wherever.
- Feature Packed – Mindjet for Android comes loaded with powerful features accessible through an intuitive menu. Mapping features, text styling, topic styling, relationships, and tools (attach, links, export, etc.).
- Tagging – Use keywords to organize and sort your Mindjet files. Makes it easier to search for maps as well.
- Gesture Shortcuts – Replaces the keyboard shortcuts for easy to use gesture shortcuts designed to bring the most common commands right to your fingertips.
- Dropbox® Support – Sync your Mindjet files from your phone to your PC with Dropbox.
- Mindjet File Format (.mmap).
- Support for Android 2.1 and later.
- Zoom in and out.
- Drag and drop topics.
- Create topic notes.
- Various topic styles with simple gestures.
- Add icons and images for context and detail.
- Priority markers.
- Create relationships between topics.
- Add attachments and hyperlinks to supporting files and web pages.
- Gesture shortcuts – draw shapes in order to execute various commands.
- Full-screen mode.
- File tagging for easy organization and search.
- Support for keyboard shortcuts.
Annotate, edit and save your photos & scribbles… fast
Skitch, the popular desktop app has gone mobile. Annotate an image with arrows, shapes and text. Sketch something new and markup an existing photo, then save your creations to Evernote or share them with other applications.
Dice apps are ten-a-penny in the Android Market so I’ve only included two that I thought quite useful.
Full set of D&D 3D dice always in your pocket! DiceShaker D&D is a 3D RPG dice roller app with realistic graphics and advanced physics. It contains a full set of polyhedral dice for role-playing game sessions.
- d4, d6, d8, d10, d12 and d20 RPG dice, including percentage dice
- shake the phone or tap the screen to roll the dice, or flick the dice individually
- switch between five separate dice screens
- realistic graphics and physics – tilt the phone upside down and the dice fall on the glass
- total score
Advanced Dice for D&D is a feature rich dice rolling application.
Advanced Dice for D&D is a feature rich version of Dice for D&D. New features include logging, customizable dice rolling (2D10+8, 3D6, 1D100, etc), audio, animation, rumbling, and an advanced psuedo-random number generator that greatly reduces streaks of the same number.
Also has a free version
Tired of lugging around 30 dice to gaming sessions? Forget to put your d12 in your dice bag? Not enough 6-sided dice to calculate your epic character’s fireball without rolling the dice over and over again?
No problem. RPG Dice Calculator is like having an infinite bag of dice in your pocket.
RPG Dice Calculator will roll 4-sided, 6-sided, 8-sided, 10-sided, 12-sided and 20-sided dice using dice graphics. It will also roll any-sided dice using generic graphics, so you could roll 4d32 or 6d14.
You can also add pluses to your dice, so you could rold 6d6+6 or 20d6+4.
RPG Dice Calculator saves your last roll, so if you need to switch over to check out an email or make a call, you can come back in and still see your roll results.
Roleplaying apps that aren’t limited to a particular rules system.
Take the immersion of your RPG tables to another level by using music and sounds
Take the immersion of your RPG sessions to another level by introducing music and sounds in your game table!
Songs & Dragons make it easy to introduce music on your games by using the portability of a phone or a tablet and the convenience of a touch screen. Create scenes and events and activate and deactivate them with a single press on a screen. Say goodbye to bringing a cumbersome laptop to your game table when all you need is in your hand.
Some advanced features include:
- Copying events between scenes;
- Doing a backup from your scenes and events, so you can change your ROM or device without the fear of losing all your work;
- Multi-selection from audio files, with the ability to preview them while searching;
- Looping events with random wait times between them, to create a very natural feeling;
- Global events, common to all scenes;
- Background playing, so you can check that PDF without fear of the app being killed by the android system;
- And more!
Please note that this is still a beta version, it may have some bugs and it still needs some improvements, especially for tablets. If you have a suggestion or a bug report, please leave a comment or send me an email.
NOTE: If you have some problems while playing a scene, please consider sending the message, it may help me find what’s causing incompatibilities with some devices. Also, I finally got a tablet and some spare time, so I’ll be rewriting all of the UI, already thinking in Ice Cream Sandwich.
Songs & Dragons was created by a huge fan of old school pen and papers games to other fans, so it will be free and ad-free forever! But you may buy me some mead if you want If I ever feel that I cannot keep updating the app, I’ll open source it so anyone can take it from there.
While fully functional for players, Pocket Game Master really shines in the hands of the Game Master. PGM allows the game master to not only create a complete adventure right from their device, but to run that adventure from the device as well!
Of course, players can use this for their character sheets, map dungeons, jot down dungeon notes, and use the dice.
Best of all you can network between devices and interact in real time through Wifi or Bluetooth!!
- Make, view and save 20 character sheets at a time.
- Interactive stats allowing for in-game use, like tapping on damage to roll damage dice.
- Write an adventure from scratch, add pictures, music, web content and more.
- Basic dungeon map creating with unlimited undo/redo even AFTER saving.
- Initiative roller
- Complete dice bag
- Ability to customize most input to match your campaign. Including stat names, stat bonus, feat/skills/spell lists, classes, effects, “to hit” and “initiative” dice, just to name a few.
- 3 user countdown fields and 3 user saving throw fields per character. This allows for deeper campaign customization.
- Full help manual
- Networking to share character’s info instantly. For example, if a monster hits a player for 3 damage, the Game Master can input the damage once, and the player’s sheet will automatically update!
There is also a free demo version.
Name your RPG or MMO characters – or even your baby boy, girl, dog, or pet orc! This name generator features 3,800 names from fantasy literature – with additions for comic relief. You can save or email favorites to use in your RPG’s and MMO’s. The names are sorted by gender and class: Fighter, Healer, Rogue, Wizard, Dwarf, Elf, Gnome, Halfling, & Monster.
RPG Buddy is a convenient way to keep track of initiative for characters and monsters in your tabletop role playing game session. Store the initiative bonuses of monsters, player characters, and NPCs in the library then create a set of enounters. When you need the encounter, simply bring it up in the RPG Buddy and let the system roll and keep track of initiative for you. (You may also manually enter the results from a player’s die roll.) This makes it super-easy to reroll initiative each round and also take some of the hassle out of preparing encounters. RPG Buddy also supports deleting monsters and reordering during the encounter so you can adjust things as needed while you are playing your game.
- Store initiative for monsters, player characters, or NPCs
- Track hit points and status effects
- Add or customize creature name and initiative bonus
- Prepare encounters ahead of time
- Reorder or delete participants during the encounter
- Compatible with any D20 system including D&D and Pathfinder
A game master role playing tool for games like D&D, DSA, GURPS etc.
- Helps you keep track of the essential stats of characters and monsters while leading a role playing game.
- Not meant to replace your pen&papers but to have a quick view on stats while handling fights.
- Multiple role playing groups possible.
- Monsters can be grouped in advance in encounters for later use.
- Maps can be fitted with fog-of-war and displayed on another device over WIFI.
Create random names that make sense! Uses JaNaG name generator.
AndroNaG is a client for the open source Java Name Generator (JaNaG) server (either public or private one, network connection needed). Randomly create names for book writers, gamers, etc. Names are created using a certain morphology.
Generates more than 2.500.000 random typical names for over 30 different nationalities (plus ancient Greek and Roman). Based on statistics for the most common first and last names for each country.
Dungeons & Dragons 3rd Edition
Still a popular rules system.
The fastest way to look up spell descriptions for a D&D 3.5 gaming session.
Spellbook serves as a quick way to look up spell descriptions during a D&D gaming session. It includes all spells from the srd 3.5, and lets you store your spells in custom lists for even faster access.
The d20 Character Sheet application handles your D&D 3.5 characters.
d20 Character Sheet consists of two main parts. The Character Sheet to keep track of your character, which you use while playing RPG. The Administration to customize the game setting to your demands. The app is available in English and German language. Supports portait and landscape mode and includes a full online manual (android-ash.de/manual.html).
The SRD (System Reference Document) for the d20 system, this is used for the Dungeons and Dragons game as well as many others.
Premium version of D20 Helper. Removes the ads and automatically saves your HPs and skills.
A simple to use application that lets you keep track of your hit points and skills for D&D. Also has a dice roller for popular dice types, attack and damage rolls.
Also has an, ad-supported, free version
Dungeons & Dragons 4th Edition
The latest version of the Dungeons & Dragons rules.
Search and view the full Dungeons and Dragons (4e) Compendium from anywhere.Please note: a D&D Insider account is required to view stat cards just like the website. Not associated with Wizards of the Coast in any way. All Compendium material is copyright WOTC.
Combat Assistant, used for tracking initiative and status effects, intended for use with the Dungeons and Dragons rules set (4th Edition), although some users have noted it’s useful for previous editions also.Ever got confused by trying to keep track of status effects, hit points, healing surges, etc. in a game. Well, be confused no more with this versatile app for keeping track.
Useful for DMs who need to keep track of player defenses as well as hit points of their monsters. Will also automatically apply ongoing damage and check with you whether your creatures have made their saving throws. Monsters can also be pre-created and then are saved automatically to keep the flow of the game going without having to pause to add details of new creatures to the combat.
Useful for players to keep track of an entire party’s details, including hit points, healing surges, temporary hit points and status effects.
Portraits can also be assigned to creatures, so you can take a photo of each player using your phone’s built in camera and then quickly assign those photos to each creature.
Tutorial mode also available to show you the features of the application.
Tablet users please note that you must have an internet connection available the first time you run the app to obtain a license. Once you’ve run it once you can then use it offline until the next update.
Please note that none of the content in this application is created by or endorsed by Wizards of the Coast.
This version is identical to the free version, except that the paid version will save previously used information. With the free version, all information is lost every time you quit.
Also has a free version.
Browse the Dungeons and Dragons (D&D 4e) Compendium. This connects to wizards.com; therefore requires a DDI (D&D Insider) account. Searches include classes, feats, glossary, items, monsters, powers, races, rituals, and traps.
The perfect tool for the busy DM with random monsters, magic items and treasure.
D&D Tool: Random Encounters provides the busy DM with easy-to-use random 4th edition encounters including random monster groups, a dice roller, treasure parcels and random magic items separated by type. This handy tool can be used by players wishing for a quick adventure or just to add a dose of random to a d20 campaign.
dMinion is an initiative tracking application intended for use with Dungeons and Dragons 4th Edition. This application is a supplement to DM screens. It helps remove the need for paper in your D&D game.
Get your power cards off the table and into your phone!Keep track of your character’s powers when playing D&D 4E without your power cards strewn about your table. Add your powers, take photos of their descriptions from your PHB or power cards, and take back that table space!
- No ads
- Track your HP, Temp HP, healing surges, XP and action points
- Honeycomb optimization
- Image cropping
Also has a free version.
Track your characters’ information without the need for pencil and paper!Manage Hit Points, Surges, Action Points, Conditions, Notes, Skills/Abilities and treasure for multiple characters at the touch of a (virtual) button.
Cheeky’s D&D Buddy replaces the need for pencil and paper at your gaming table.
Switch easily between any number of characters, with all current statistics stored across sessions.
Take your D&D 4 character sheets everywhere… in your smartphone! D&D 4 Android will help you to keep track of your character ability scores, defenses, health, powers, feats, skills, rituals, equipment items,… Easily spend surges, take damage, take short or extended rest, remember the powers you used, and many other features!
Finally a D&D Character app that looks great!Character viewer and editor that supports D&D 4th Edition characters. Supports creating characters from scratch, exported from D&D Insider online or exported from the software version.
This app is optimized for both tablets and handheld screens (it automatically chooses the tablet version if your screen size is larger than 6″). Get the HD and mobile in one app (and install it on both).
Yes, this app costs more than the $2 quickie, but invest in me please? I’d like to work on this more and I hope you would like to sponsor me a bit. If you look at this apps history, you’ll see in a short period, I’ve had many significant upgrades.
I’m an independent developer: help me raise a new generation of gamers that love roleplaying and Dungeons and Dragons games as much as we do!
Features added since release:
- Optimized for both 1200, 1024 and 7″ tablets.
- Kindle Fire, Nook Tablet support
- Dice Rollers (three colors, two dice workspaces, “save” configuration coming soon)
- Character art import
- Wild Magic, Heroic Feat details.
- Hardware acceleration
- Edit/Add custom powers
- DnD Insider power/feat/inventory details added
The “spin-off” from 3rd Edition.
A complete compendium of Pathfinder Roleplaying Game feats & talents.
A complete compendium of Pathfinder Roleplaying Game spells.
This app provides convenient access to the spells currently available from the Pathfinder Core Rules, Advanced Players Guide, and several other sources. Additional features:
- The ability to filter spells by school, types of saves allowed, casting time, etc.
- Select your favorite spells and view them in the favorites window
Thanks to the Pathfinder SRD for providing the spell data!
The quickest way to reference spells from the Pathfinder Roleplaying Game.Spellbook serves as a quick way to look up spell descriptions during a gaming session. It includes all spells from the Pathfinder Roleplaying Game core classes as well as classes from the Advanced Player’s Guide and Ultimate Magic source books. Here are some highlights from the app:
- Store a custom list of your spells for quick access.
- View spells by name or class and level.
- Full support of Cleric Domains, Oracle Mysteries, and Patron Themes.
- Keep notes with spells.
- Quickly jump to referenced spells by clicking links in spell descriptions.
- Easily search for spells from anywhere in the app.
- Honeycomb Tablet support
NPC characters to liven up your roleplaying game.This app provides you with a list of non-player characters (NPC) to use in your Pathfinder roleplaying game. It can help dungeon masters in session planning and liven up a gaming session by giving more depth to characters in any environment.
Had a rough encounter on the road? You might run into a Pilgrim (CR 3) who could tend wounds or provide a healing potion (provided you make a donation to her church, of course). Exploring a recently discovered ruin? You might run into an Archaeologist (CR 6) who can tell you secrets of relics and ancient culture.
Browse the PFRPG Reference Document completely offline, with a five-level index with 11.441 choices, for a very fast consulting. PFRPG stands for PF Role Playing Game, the fantasy RPG by Paizo Publishing.
There are also other features:
- Multi-tab browsing
- Search System, with the ability to search for any word in the index.
- It is also possible to search trough “Quick search box” widget
- Search in page
- Support for large screen/honeycomb/Ice Cream Sandwich/tablet
- Five-level index, with over 11.400 choices
- Completely offline browsing
Also has a Lite (free) version that contains only Core Rulebook (except magict items) and Game Mastery Guide. The Lite version also contains advertising and collects anonymous statistics usage
Are you a Magician, a Druid or a Summoner (or similar) in PFRPG? This application will allow you to use “Summon Monster” or “Summon Nature’s Ally” spells WITHOUT handbooks. ALL you need is here, and it does not need internet connection! This Application will help you managing summoned monsters. ALL summonable monster (Based on OGL terms) are selectable in this application. PFRPG stands for PF Role Playing Game, the fantasy RPG by Paizo Publishing. Features:
- Augment Summoning
- Celestial and Fiendish
- Manage up to 5 creatures at time
- Ac, touch, flat-footed
- Spell Resistance, Damage resistance
- Fortitude, Reflex, Will
- Combat maneuver bonus (CMB), combat maneuver defense (CMD)
- Hit dice, Bonus Attack Base, Hit points
- Alignment, subtype
- Ability Scores
- Attacks and roll attack and damage, Special Attack
- Spells, Skills, Feats, Special Qualities, Defensive Abilities, Senses, Speed
The Lite (free) version provides all the monsters of first level and the first monster of all levels of summon monster/summon nature’s ally.