Don't miss

Whither Next London Indie RPG?

FAQ | Search | Register | Login
View unanswered posts | View active topics | View your posts
We meet one Saturday a month from 12pm to 9pm to play Indie RPGs. Check our Meetup site for dates and times. Post here for suggestions, comments, ideas for upcoming events and loving good vibes.

Moderators: Epistolary Richard, w00hoo

Whither Next London Indie RPG?

Postby Magus » 2:13am on 15 Nov 12

As I've mentioned I want to step down as the principal organiser of London Indie RPG in the New Year. It is evident that there is a lot of enthusiasm for continuing and it's great to see a number of people want to take on managing various aspects of the group.

If you are interested in shaping the future I'd like to invite you to a meeting. The plan is to meet in Shrigley's, the cafe next to St Christopher's on Saturday 17th November at 11am. If you are interested in attending then post here. I was going to prepare an agenda so if there are things you think it would be worth discussing then add them here, especially if you are unable to come.

I thought it would be worth discussing a new organisational structure, like a Council of Five or something. Different people taking on different things.

I'd like to put on the Agenda
Financing the Group - what the costs are and how they might be covered. Should the group attempt to make money to finance future ventures?
Publicising the Group - what could be done to extend Indie gaming in London and further afield
Cons - we've had the idea in the past to run our own con. Also a Playstorm Con has been discussed as well as a Playtest Con.
Publishing - shall we put our games out there in a more structured way?

That's just a quick mind dump - feel free to say if you think it is too ambitious. I certainly think we should address the first and second points with the other two taking a backseat.

But post here if you're coming and/or you want things discussed.
London Indie RPG Indiemeet
Hear The Magus and Shadowmourne enthuse about Indie RPGs on The Jennisodes
London Indie RPG on Facebook
London Indie RPG on Twitter

The_Magus is a known asshole and I am not sure why the admins around here still let him post. Hey Admins! Can you boot this piece of crap? The_Magus thread craps on the OSR threads and it's getting really old. - Ara Kooser, the voice of storygames.com
Magus has received thanks from the following for this post:
Epistolary Richard, GB Steve, Mick Red, Neil Smith, Pete
Magus
Dice Funder
Running: Sorcerer, Crap Robots, 50 Shades of Bad Sex
Planning: The Facility, One-shot Sorcerer (Cronenberg)

Re: Whither Next London Indie RPG?

Postby Epistolary Richard » 2:51am on 15 Nov 12

I'll plan to be there. To my mind, your thoughts on how you want to handle the handover and then establishing who will being doing everything that you've been doing going forwards are the main thing (and, unless it's extremely straightforward, it will probably talk the bulk of the hour in any case).

Financing is important, but I think easily handled. I've offered to cover it; others as well or make a contribution. I think that score is simple.

As to Publicity, Cons and Publishing, we can brainstorm, but any decisions are really going to be down to whoever is going to be taking Indiemeet forwards. They'll need to mull on any ideas and perhaps have their own discussions with interested parties.

The one thing I would like to talk about is Indiemeet's involvement in Dragonmeet. I have a pretty fair idea of what we're doing, but actually having a chat with those of us going along would do much to make me feel on track. Of course, I understand if you'd prefer that conversation to happen separately to this one.
"Asking Piers to a seminar about the state of the British RPG industry is like asking The Clash if they'd like to attend a Live Aid reunion." Baz King
Epistolary Richard has received thanks from the following for this post:
Magus, Pete
Epistolary Richard
London Indie RPG
Playing: Anything going at Indiemeet
Planning: Project Y

Postby NimbyDagda » 8:40am on 15 Nov 12

I will be there.
All is fair in love and war...

...as long as I'm not losing!
UKRP Design Collective
Damwain Games
NimbyDagda has received thanks from the following for this post:
Magus
NimbyDagda
Dice Funder
Playing: GM-Less Stuff
Running: GM-Less Stuff
Planning: Frostbite, reStructured Play

Postby Alex Gwilt-cox » 9:11am on 15 Nov 12

I will be there with bells on.

I said before that indiemeet means a lot to me, and I would like to contribute in anyway I can to seeing it continues.

I'm going through a lot of personal issues at the moment, so the amount of extra responsibility I can take on right now is limited, but I would love to be part of the discussion and contribute in anyway I can.
Alex Gwilt-cox has received thanks from the following for this post:
Magus, Pete
Alex Gwilt-cox
4th-level
Playing: Apocalypse World
Running: Tourchbearer
Planning: Epic space game

Postby GB Steve » 9:46am on 15 Nov 12

I'll be there. I'm not a regular attendee so I don't think I could or should be involved in key decisions but I'm keen to support the endeavour.
GB Steve has received thanks from the following for this post:
Magus, w00hoo
GB Steve
Dice Funder

Postby Graham W » 10:00am on 15 Nov 12

I'm interested in talking about the future of London Indie RPG. An agenda is too formal for my taste: I have enough committees in my life already! If we're simply having a coffee and talking about how to take things forward, then that would be useful.

I'm not sure whether I'll attend.
Last edited by Graham W on 11:27am on 15 Nov 12, edited 3 times in total.
Graham W has received thanks from the following for this post:
Magus
Graham W
Dice Funder
Running: Cthulhu Apocalypse
Planning: Kagematsu, Apocalypse World

Postby Pete » 10:09am on 15 Nov 12

I'll be there.

The meeting ain't formal. Piers is merely suggesting topics for discussion so that peeps can have a think prior to the meet.

The Pulled Pork baps at this wee place at the south end of Borough Market are great. (Skip the offer of copious BBQ sauce though.) Ash swears by the World's Best Cheese Toastie near the north end, but at £5 for a slice of cheese on toast it's a tad overpriced by my book.
London Indiemeet—Small Press Role-Playing in London
Pete has received thanks from the following for this post:
Magus
Pete
Reaaaally?!
Playing: The Witcher II
Running: Mouse Guard
Planning: Pig, War Stories For Boys

Postby Stephanie » 10:51am on 15 Nov 12

Will be there.

More importantly, if the pulled pork baps Pete mentioned are the ones sold at the tiny outlet in the side alley, those things make me happy.
Stephanie has received thanks from the following for this post:
Magus
Stephanie
4th-level

Postby Pete » 11:52am on 15 Nov 12

The very one! You have excellent taste Indie Steph ::bungs twine-wound Bennie on to the table::
Magus
Pete
Reaaaally?!

Postby catty_big » 12:34pm on 15 Nov 12

GB Steve wrote:I'll be there. I'm not a regular attendee so I don't think I could or should be involved in key decisions but I'm keen to support the endeavour.

What he said. I must admit, I was wavering until I saw a mention of pulled pork baps. No, seriously, I'll be there.
Occam's razor: one should not increase, beyond what is necessary, the number of entities required to explain something.
Gillette's razor: shaves you closer.
Currently promoting Sci-Fi Beta Kappa (published November 2013) and working on several other games: visit the indyhippo design lab for details.
catty_big has received thanks from the following for this post:
Magus
catty_big
20th-level
Location: Near the Barbican (City of London) and the Internet.
Playing: Space 1889.
Running: around like a headless chicken.
Planning: SkipJack, Disgraceful, Chaotic Evil, MotorMouth... Oh, so many.

Postby Magus » 7:14pm on 16 Nov 12

I will be meeting Robert on the concourse at London Bridge for platforms 8 - 16 at 10:45am. This is the one by the base of The Shard if anyone wants to walk down with us.
London Indie RPG Indiemeet
Hear The Magus and Shadowmourne enthuse about Indie RPGs on The Jennisodes
London Indie RPG on Facebook
London Indie RPG on Twitter

The_Magus is a known asshole and I am not sure why the admins around here still let him post. Hey Admins! Can you boot this piece of crap? The_Magus thread craps on the OSR threads and it's getting really old. - Ara Kooser, the voice of storygames.com
Magus
Dice Funder
Running: Sorcerer, Crap Robots, 50 Shades of Bad Sex
Planning: The Facility, One-shot Sorcerer (Cronenberg)

Postby SJE » 7:49pm on 16 Nov 12

I cant make the this Saturday's summit meeting (or the meetup itself) , but if you need a table-mover, or pitch organiser, then I can do that for you.

Normal service/attendance should be resumed in Dec.

Steve
"Forth, and fear no darkness! Arise. Arise, Riders of Theoden. Spears shall be shaken, shields shall be splintered! A sword day... a red day... ere the sun rises. Ride now!... Ride now!... Ride! Ride for ruin and the world's ending!"

Exalted Actual Play: Gem City Watch! || Dark Heresy- Silver Dawn/The Castermere Look/The Beiderbeck Investigation || ASOI&F - A Knights Tale || Cold City: BSG || Rogue Trader: Eastern Fringes Trading Co. || Elric: Inception in the Dreaming City || Masks of Nyarlathotep-7e||
SJE has received thanks from the following for this post:
Magus
SJE
14th-level

Postby Shadowmourne » 8:30pm on 16 Nov 12

I had planned on attending but events conspire against me.

I've put to some of you some of my thoughts on the matter Piers has raised and I'm willing to join with others to make them a reality and support the Meetup.

Life conspires to mean I can't take full responsibility for the Meetup however I am willing to put myself forward for any council of #.

I'm happy to share my ideas via electronic medium or in person after my exams, many of you know how to track me down.

Let me know how it goes!
Shadowmourne has received thanks from the following for this post:
Magus
Shadowmourne
Dice Funder
Playing: GM-less/Gm-ful games mostly. Light fun stuff when I get the chance.
Running: My Own Creations
Planning: Whatever is to hand.

Postby SJE » 9:23pm on 20 Nov 12

Out of curiosity, what was the outcome of the Council of Umpteen deliberations?

Thx.

Steve
"Forth, and fear no darkness! Arise. Arise, Riders of Theoden. Spears shall be shaken, shields shall be splintered! A sword day... a red day... ere the sun rises. Ride now!... Ride now!... Ride! Ride for ruin and the world's ending!"

Exalted Actual Play: Gem City Watch! || Dark Heresy- Silver Dawn/The Castermere Look/The Beiderbeck Investigation || ASOI&F - A Knights Tale || Cold City: BSG || Rogue Trader: Eastern Fringes Trading Co. || Elric: Inception in the Dreaming City || Masks of Nyarlathotep-7e||
SJE
14th-level

Minutes, Stream of Consciousness-style

Postby Pete » 12:18am on 21 Nov 12

Arrive at Shrigley's Cafe, order English brekkie, start noshing. Top banana.

The current pitching process is perceived to be scaling poorly to the increased numbers -> chaotic, takes too long, pitches are of variable quality, some folk get "leftover" in the scrum -> injection: trial some alternate methods of pitching and assigning, not sign-up sheets tho', rinse and repeat until a pitching process broadly "better" than the current one is found -> Stephanie running with this with support from others.

Began wondering where Piers was, he hasn't arrived yet -> the gang slurps down greasy Tetleys.

Monies -> Epistolary Richard (and I think Stephanie) to handle the (small) money side of things -> we'll solicit bucks from the regulars on demand, nobody keen on subscriptions or annual membership fees -> current running costs only really extend to annual Meetup site, cakes and tea 2-3 times a year, the odd flyer/pin-badge/tee-shirt run.

Still wondering where Piers was -> we phone him -> he's in "Pret a Manger" (note: doesn't rhyme with "banger") waiting for us to arrive! -> we're all chowing down in Shrigleys Cafe as agreed, oh how we chortled.

Discussion of the core "brand" of Indiemeet -> small-press games, culture of playtesting, friendly vibe -> how to grow -> didn't really decide on anything, we were just jawing around.

Piers arrives, verily and moreso! Much hugging -> Piers orders mint tea.

Discussion of an Indiemeet "con" -> held in London, 1 day, leverage skills of ConCrete Cow dudes who attend Indiemeet, April mooted but not set in stone, don't want to clash -> "day out" to Nottingham for "Nottingmeet" in 2013, hook up with Gaz and the local scene there -> proposal for a "themed" con, proposal for a "playstorm" con -> didn't really decide on anything, letting it stew, will discuss again.

Publishing -> it's great that Indiemeet has a culture of playtesting, perhaps we can also offer more for "after" playtesting, i.e. help on editing, layout, publication, etc. ala the Collective Endeavour -> plenty of published designers are regulars, maybe just mine them on demand and do nothing formal -> didn't really decide on anything, it's enough that folk know there's advice/support on tap as needed -> we can ask Pelgrane's Simon 'cos he's nice.

OMG! It's 12! -> tootle along to pub to meet and greet any newcomers -> order pint of Guinness, hug Cameron.
Magus, w00hoo
Pete
Reaaaally?!

Next

Return to London Indie RPG Meetup Group