Don't miss

New pitch system - trialling December's meetup

FAQ | Search | Register | Login
View unanswered posts | View active topics | View your posts
We meet one Saturday a month from 12pm to 9pm to play Indie RPGs. Check our Meetup site for dates and times. Post here for suggestions, comments, ideas for upcoming events and loving good vibes.

Moderators: Epistolary Richard, w00hoo

New pitch system - trialling December's meetup

Postby Stephanie » 9:43pm on 08 Dec 12

As some of you know, a group of us have been talking about trialling a new pitch system at the next Indiemeet.

The primary flaws of the current system are that it can take a long time and leads to a lot of players hanging back for games that may not end up running. That said, it would be nice to retain the situation where everybody knows all the games that are offered, and avoiding all the timing issues of signup sheets.

So for December, we are going to be testing the following. If you're coming along, please do look at the sheet, fill one in ahead of time or be ready to fill one out next Saturday.

THE SYSTEM

Step 1:
Attached is form detailing the basic pitch for your game.What's the name of the facilitator? How many players are you looking for? What's the title of the game? And a few sentences on theme, style and system. You can either fill in the form/any scrap of paper, email me (UKRP or meetup), or just come along and fill in a slip before the meetup. There will be pens and paper available.

* Note: I inadvertently forgot to note on the form whether the number of players were including the facilitator or not. Unless specified otherwise, I would assume these to be 'additional' players, as the facilitator rarely raises their hand to indicate interest in their own game.

Step 2:
At the start of pitching, one 'designated pitcher' will go through all the slips. At this phase, if anybody has extra questions about the games that aren't covered on the slips, they would call them out at that point and the game's facilitator would respond.

Step 3:
The pitcher would go through the titles of the games so that people could raise their hands to indicate interest in the game. This is not a definite "Yes", but rather an "I could be into that ..." - it is hoped this will show what games there is serious weight behind at a session.

Step 4:
Then it's just normal - people move for the games they want. Based on Step 3, it helps if the facilitators of the games with the most hands up try and do some initial shepherding

Obviously there'll be a few kinks early on and this is just a trial. Any comments and discussion are more than welcome. I'd be interested in whether people think Newbie's Choice should be before or after Step 3.

Pre-emptive strike: As some people end up arriving halfway through the pitching session, will ask at the end of Step 1 whether there are any additional games on offer.
Attachments
LIR_PitchSheet_a4.pdf
(76.3 KiB) Downloaded 28 times
Stephanie has received thanks from the following for this post:
Epistolary Richard, Magus, Pete, Shadowmourne
Stephanie
4th-level

Re: New pitch system - trialling December's meetup

Postby Epistolary Richard » 12:39am on 09 Dec 12

Thanks, Steph. I would suggest put Newcomer's choice after step 2 and before step 3 i.e. before we start raising hands.

While it does put the newcomers on the spot, Newcomer's choice is all about trying to make sure that - when people come for the first time - we try and get going the game that's caught their interest. A lot of the regulars don't have strong preferences and so - when a newcomer suggests a game- are happy to bundle in to make sure it runs, irrespective of what they were previously thinking of playing.

Whereas doing it _after_ step 3 - when everyone's preferences are known - the newcomer may feel as though they're left in the position of 'demanding' others give up the preferences they expressed in order to make get that one game going.

Also - being able to peel off one or two tables before we get into step 3 - can then make the rest of the pitching session go a lot quicker.
"Asking Piers to a seminar about the state of the British RPG industry is like asking The Clash if they'd like to attend a Live Aid reunion." Baz King
Epistolary Richard has received thanks from the following for this post:
Pete
Epistolary Richard
London Indie RPG
Playing: Anything going at Indiemeet
Planning: Project Y

The Gloaming of the Golem Gleaming Green

Postby Pete » 1:23pm on 09 Dec 12

The Gloaming of the Golem Gleaming Green

Lo! Hurled through a crimson portal of cosmic zarjaz, our rogues are stranded on a brutal planet a thousand light leagues from home! Girding their loins and hefting their axes, our rogues strike forth across a blasted landscape, their destination... Grayskull, Castle of the Golem Gleaming Green!

Starring Kezzad the Thief, Pojalakko the Magician, Arnos the Snake, Reddick the Homunculus, and fan favourite Potswold the Dwarf, The Gloaming of the Golem Gleaming Green is your portal to zarjaz adventure!

::screaming air guitar solo::

System: Lamentations of the Flame Princess plus Carcosa
DM: Pete
# Players: 3-5
Duration: ~3 hours
Play Style: Dungeon Crawl

It's totes not The Wizard of Oz recoloured to Carcosa. ::shifty eyes::
London Indiemeet—Small Press Role-Playing in London
Pete has received thanks from the following for this post:
hartjesper, Mick Red
Pete
Reaaaally?!
Playing: The Witcher II
Running: Mouse Guard
Planning: Pig, War Stories For Boys

Postby hartjesper » 3:26pm on 09 Dec 12

That dungeon crawl better be int he morning slot, cus 'm totes up for that!!

That means other people have a week to pitch for the second half of my day 8)

Unfortunately I'm still confused to how long I will be staying for the afternoon slot, as evening activities conspire to take me away early again this month :shock: :o
hartjesper
4th-level

Re: The Gloaming of the Golem Gleaming Green

Postby Magus » 6:10pm on 09 Dec 12

Pete wrote:...zarjaz...

Jeez...

Pete wrote:
It's totes not The Wizard of Oz recoloured to Carcosa. ::shifty eyes::

Ain't so bad...

So does Reddick the Homunculus get +3 INT at quest's end?
London Indie RPG Indiemeet
Hear The Magus and Shadowmourne enthuse about Indie RPGs on The Jennisodes
London Indie RPG on Facebook
London Indie RPG on Twitter

The_Magus is a known asshole and I am not sure why the admins around here still let him post. Hey Admins! Can you boot this piece of crap? The_Magus thread craps on the OSR threads and it's getting really old. - Ara Kooser, the voice of storygames.com
Magus has received thanks from the following for this post:
Mick Red
Magus
Dice Funder
Running: Crap Robots, 50 Shades of Bad Sex
Planning: The Facility, Cronenberg Monsterhearts/Seid Hack, Tarkovsky - the RPG

Postby Pete » 6:56pm on 09 Dec 12

hartjesper wrote:That dungeon crawl better be int he morning slot, cus 'm totes up for that!!

:brofist:

Magus wrote:Jeez...

True, there's no Manichean Dualism on offer in my pitch... but there is Nietzschean Gnosticism! :brofist:

Magus wrote:So does Reddick the Homunculus get +3 INT at quest's end?

Dude, there'd have to be a quest for there to be an end. #OldSchoolPlay #n00b #girlsLaughing :P

So what are you bringing? 'cos you know, it's Run One, Play One.
Pete
Reaaaally?!

Postby Magus » 11:07pm on 09 Dec 12

Un-GM: Teh Magus !!!11!!1!
No of players: 2 - 5
Game Title: Lost Days of Memories and Madness
Description: Set in the Eternal Court of the Elves, the players take the roles of the main movers and shakers on the court, vying for control while all the time plotting against each other. The resolution mechanic involves staking your memories to defeat your opponent. High Drama Blood Opera, with an emphasis on histrionics.

SEE POST BELOW

Game Title: Fiasco Area 51 Playset
Description: Fiasco is a game of great schemes and poor execution. The players work together to create a set of interesting characters with their own agendas and needs. Each character gets two scenes of their own before a "tilt," that shifts the game towards a resolution. I wrote this playset, focused around the near-mythical Area 51, the site of reputed recovered Alien technologies.

The_Magus is a known asshole and I am not sure why the admins around here still let him post. Hey Admins! Can you boot this piece of crap? The_Magus thread craps on the OSR threads and it's getting really old. - Ara Kooser, the voice of storygames.com
Magus
Dice Funder

Postby hartjesper » 12:08pm on 14 Dec 12

Yay Piers is gonna Facilitate Fiasco, this should be full of awesome. 8)

Hopefully there will be an available player space for me in that.

We have around half a dozen games proposed for the event which is awesome, but I would just likepeople to try and get Stephanie, there game pitch sentences before tomorrow if possible so she can be uber organised and stuff!!

I'm being lame this moth and not pitching anything...but I'll bring the awesome back in 2013!! (Or at least try to).
hartjesper has received thanks from the following for this post:
Magus, Stephanie
hartjesper
4th-level

Postby Magus » 2:03pm on 14 Dec 12

Just to update one of my pitches:

Game Title: Lost Days of Memories and Madness
Description: Set in the Eternal Court of the Elves, the players take the roles of the main movers and shakers on the court, vying for control while all the time plotting against each other. The resolution mechanic involves staking your memories to defeat your opponent. High Drama Blood Opera, with an emphasis on histrionics.

I will be running this using The Five Obstructions, although I suspect it might be just four, as I haven't managed to look at RQ 2e rules.

Additionally, I would discourage newcomers from joining this as it is a bit of an experiment. I'd rather they have a well-facilitated game of something more familiar. However, I'm more than happy to have new players in the Fiasco game.

Pete
Magus
Dice Funder

A Merry Christmas to us all!

Postby Pete » 2:59pm on 14 Dec 12

I've just twigged that it's almost Christmas. NEWS FLASH! :oops: :D

Yeah yeah, I've got my holidays sorted, peeps in the office have been talking about Crimbo, and Oxford is decked out in Xmas tosh, but it had all somehow washed over me. Suddenly, I'm like "OMG!!1! It's Christmas in a few days, hole-eeee1!1!!"

I'm all set for the satanic, nihilistic, bleak metal of Lamentations of the Flame Princess+Carcosa, but having just realised that Crimbo is here, I wonder whether something else might be more appropriate. (The satanic nihilism of Carcosa might be apposite given the commercial secularism of the holiday, but let's not be Scrooges.)

I'm now minded to offer a suitably festive game of Mouse Guard, rich with seasonal flavour: cruel snowstorms, paws black with frostbite being sawed off, Really Tiny Tim starving to death in a snowdrift, all good festive stuff.

A Gesture of Kindness wrote:It has been one year since Barkstone revolted, nearly toppling Lockhaven, the very home of the Mouse Guard. Winter is once again slowly creeping upon the Territories. Gwendolyn, leader of the Mouse Guard, wishes to present the residents of Barkstone with a gesture of forgiveness. Your patrol is being dispatched to gather a shipment of holiday presents and then deliver them to the children of the beleaguered city. First, you will journey to Port Sumac, to collect the shipment from Captain Algir. You will pay the good Captain and arrange for transshipment at your discretion.

Once you arrive in Barkstone, you will report to Guard Captain Milius. He is acting mayor since the revolt. He will assist you in distributing the Yulefrost gifts.

I'll decide on the train in to London with Ash tomorrow I guess.
Pete has received thanks from the following for this post:
Elina
Pete
Reaaaally?!

Postby Pete » 3:01pm on 14 Dec 12

Hey,

hartjesper wrote:Yay Piers is gonna Facilitate Fiasco, this should be full of awesome. 8)

Piers, bang the content of that playset over to me and I'll PDF it into a nice package with a cover and everything.

hartjesper wrote:I'm being lame this moth and not pitching anything...but I'll bring the awesome back in 2013!

Heck yeah!

James, bring more Dungeon Crawl Classics RPG! I enjoyed the session muchly.
Pete
Reaaaally?!

Postby Magus » 3:07pm on 14 Dec 12

Pete wrote:Hey,
hartjesper wrote:Yay Piers is gonna Facilitate Fiasco, this should be full of awesome. 8)

Piers, bang the content of that playset over to me and I'll PDF it into a nice package with a cover and everything.

Hmm, it's on my home PC and tonight is the dreaded works Christmas do. I have already made my list of people I do not want to sit next to. I can send it to you (the playset, not the list) but it will be late. It's part formatted in Hitchcock anyways. I sent it off to Morningstar to be considered for Playset of the Month as some geezer on G+ was talking about doing one.

Pete
Magus
Dice Funder

Re: A Merry Christmas to us all!

Postby hartjesper » 3:31pm on 14 Dec 12

Pete wrote:I'm now minded to offer a suitably festive game of Mouse Guard, rich with seasonal flavour: cruel snowstorms, paws black with frostbite being sawed off, Really Tiny Tim starving to death in a snowdrift, all good festive stuff.

I'll decide on the train in to London with Ash tomorrow I guess.

I'd be happy with this also, I have not been involved in one of your games of mouses and guarding.
hartjesper
4th-level

Re: A Merry Christmas to us all!

Postby catty_big » 4:34pm on 14 Dec 12

Pete wrote:I've just twigged that it's almost Christmas. NEWS FLASH! :oops: :D

Yeah, me too. And there I was preparing to pitch Where The Heart Is. D'Oh! Ok, so, change of plan. Now it's...

GM: Leo
Game title: A Very Merry Terran Xmas
Game system: Sci-Fi Beta Kappa
Players: 4-6
Slot: Slot 1
Description:
It's a week before the biggest celebration in the Terran calendar and everyone's walking around with a smile on their face, but you're stuck on campus. Our delinquent aliens are not only far from home, but stuck on the most backward planet in the galaxy, bored out of their skulls (well, those that have skulls) and under constant threat of expulsion. What to do?

It’s a no-brainer: have a party!! And why not tap into the holiday spirit and host a traditional Terran Xmas party? After all, what could possibly go wrong?

We'll have...er... some big bird, or pig, or, I don't know, something, anyway there'll be music and dancing and lots of booze. Just come along and have fun. Only, er, don’t tell the Dean.

No system knowledge necessary. Link to current doc here. AP reports here.
Occam's razor: one should not increase, beyond what is necessary, the number of entities required to explain something.
Gillette's razor: shaves you closer.
Currently promoting Sci-Fi Beta Kappa (published November 2013) and working on several other games: visit the indyhippo design lab for details.
catty_big
20th-level
Location: Near the Barbican (City of London) and the Internet.
Playing: Space 1889.
Running: around like a headless chicken.
Planning: SkipJack, Disgraceful, Chaotic Evil, MotorMouth... Oh, so many.

Postby Elina » 6:28pm on 14 Dec 12

I am on the train, about to cross the Channel! I will be there for the morning session! Hurray!!!
Elina
Will travel for beer and games!
Elina
7th-level

Next

Return to London Indie RPG Meetup Group