So .. Monsterhearts?

FAQ | Search | Register | Login
View unanswered posts | View active topics | View your posts
Want to talk, specifically, about RPGs? Then post it here. Questions, comments, and views are all welcomed.

So .. Monsterhearts?

Postby Neil Gow » 10:41am on 18 Mar 12

I backed the kickstarter of Monsterhearts and I have just taken delivery of the final pdf and skins. I've read through the pre-release pdf as well. I'm giddy with excitement.

I love dark romance/urban fantasy fiction. All those cheesy teenage/'womens' vampire+werewolf+demon+hunters of the above books are just like comfort reading for me. Love it. This is that game. Its Twilight, Buffy, True Blood and the Craft all mashed up together, with a bit more sexy. Hell, I should really do a review, shouldn't I?

Anyone else got this? What are you planning to do with it?

I'm running it at Conpulsion, late night after hours. So much fun to be had.
Omnihedron Games - Publisher of Duty & Honour and Beat to Quarters
Keep up-to-date with Omnihedron on Facebook or Google+
ZackSpacks - "I get highly amused by Neil Gow’s constant slagging of Call of Cthulhu"
Jonny Gray - "Ron Edwards is no way as passionate as The Gow"
Neil Gow has received thanks from the following for this post:
James Mullen
Neil Gow
Omnihedron Games
Playing: Shadowrun, Runequest
Running: Nothing!
Planning: ERA Setting Packs, Star Ace!

Re: So .. Monsterhearts?

Postby James Mullen » 11:07am on 18 Mar 12

Neil Gow wrote:I love dark romance/urban fantasy fiction. All those cheesy teenage/'womens' vampire+werewolf+demon+hunters of the above books are just like comfort reading for me. Love it. This is that game. Its Twilight, Buffy, True Blood and the Craft all mashed up together, with a bit more sexy. Hell, I should really do a review, shouldn't I?

Yes, you should, please :wink: (rolls+hot: an 11!) Right away!
Groundhoggoth has mutated!
Join the community on G+ for access to free indie RPGs and scenarios!

The 'Hood is now open for business: a supplement for Apocalypse World for modern urban crime dramas.
James Mullen
13th-level

Postby Pete » 11:24am on 18 Mar 12

Alex pitched it at the London Indiemeet and the pitch was immediately greeted with "ooh", "aah", and general excitement. Monsterhearts ended up being run in both slots, and I guess there'll be more of it rocking out at future Indiemeets.

London's only four hours away on the train Neil :D
London Indiemeet—Small Press Role-Playing in London
Pete
Reaaaally?!
Playing: The Witcher II
Running: Mouse Guard
Planning: Pig, War Stories For Boys

Postby SJE » 12:02pm on 18 Mar 12

Yep, utterly fantastic game yeterday at the Meetup- the nice clarity and tone of Apoc World, with a better setting and more user (and melodrama) friendly list of characters. Some of the interactions are great- A werewolf coming out of Darkest Nature when he ripped apart his Ghoulfriend, only for her to resurrect later, as a mix of parts as we'd thrown her into a big gym bag with the body parts of the Head Cheerleader. I had fun as a square jawed Chosen, heroically taking the Blow everytime my Mortal girlfriend got close to danger...

SJE
"Forth, and fear no darkness! Arise. Arise, Riders of Theoden. Spears shall be shaken, shields shall be splintered! A sword day... a red day... ere the sun rises. Ride now!... Ride now!... Ride! Ride for ruin and the world's ending!"

Exalted Actual Play: Gem City Watch! || Dark Heresy- Silver Dawn/The Castermere Look/The Beiderbeck Investigation || ASOI&F - A Knights Tale || Cold City: BSG || Rogue Trader: Eastern Fringes Trading Co. || Elric: Inception in the Dreaming City || Masks of Nyarlathotep-7e||
SJE
14th-level

Postby w00hoo » 2:09pm on 18 Mar 12

Had to buy it, probably won't get to play it until an indie meet though.
"I don't want to remember. But if I don't have the memories, nobody will, so I can't forget." - Samantha.
w00hoo
King of the Scribblers
Playing: Pendragon, Dresden Files, G+ TOR & D&D5
Running: Kingdom of Nothing, Supernatural, De Profundis, Blood & Water
Planning: SFLRP

Postby GuyMilner » 4:41pm on 18 Mar 12

Yep, I've got it (as you know, Neil...) ... I don't think my 'regular' group will go for it, but will certainly be bringing it to cons in the future... I'd say I'll almost definitely offer it at Furnace.

There's been quite a few reports in the 'Bite-Sized AP' thread on StoryGames that have got me even keener to run/play it... looks like the system really encourages that sexy car-crash teen angst of the source material (which I guess also means it won't be for everyone).

Yeah, bust out a review! There's a lot of neat AW hacks coming out now (got the preview of Monster of the Week, a sorta action-against-the-supernatural hack, and Dragon World is around for free somewhere.... it's sorta a Japanese wacko fantasy comedy RPG hack, similar to Dungeon World but with it's tongue firmly in it's cheek).
GuyMilner
9th-level
Running: 3:16

Return to Open RPG Discussion