Concrete Cow 13½: 14 September 2013, Milton Keynes

FAQ | Search | Register | Login
View unanswered posts | View active topics | View your posts
Concrete Cow is a twice-yearly gaming day held in Milton Keynes.

Moderator: Neil Smith

Concrete Cow 13½: 14 September 2013, Milton Keynes

Postby Neil Smith » 7:25pm on 01 May 13

Milton Keynes RPG Club are holding another Concrete Cow on 14 September 2013.

WHO?
We're Milton Keynes RPG Club. Find out more about us at http://www.mk-rpg.org.uk.

WHEN?
Saturday 14 September 2013. Doors open at 9.00am, first games start at 10.00am. We'll finish at 11.00pm.

WHAT?
Any roleplaying or board game. You want to play it, bring it along and run it. A full list of games on offer is on the Concrete Cow games page and you can see the list of games offered at Concrete Cow 13.

If you want to run a game, let us know and we'll put it on the list.

WHO'LL BE THERE?
Traders are TBC, once we've done the whole diary-checking-and-confirmation thing.

More importantly, there's all the fantastic games gamers who'll be there and all the fantastic games you'll bring along. If you let us know what you're planning to run, we'll put it on the Concrete Cow games page.

(Note that for child protection reasons, under-16s will need to be accompanied by an adult at Concrete Cow.)

WHERE?
Probably the Old Bath House, Wolverton, in the north-west corner of Milton Keynes. However, the venue is under new management and we're still in the process of confirming our bookings. We'll let you know as soon as we know anything.

HOW MUCH?
TBC, depending on venue. The costs will just be to cover the cost of hiring the hall. Under 16s are free, but note that we can't take responsibility for them.

FOOD?
Details TBC, but we're planning to arrange another lunchtime curry buffet.

For more information, visit our Yahoo group, email concrete-cow-owner@yahoogroups.com, or ask here!
Milton Keynes RPG club. Tuesday evenings. Come join us!
Concrete Cow 15: A one-day con on 14 March 2015.
Neil Smith
Concrete Cow
Playing: Hollow Earth Expedition, Star Wars:EtoE
Planning: Freemarket, Dogs in the Vineyard, Earthdawn/Cortex+ hack

Re: Concrete Cow 13½: 14 September 2013, Milton Keynes

Postby Neil Smith » 7:48pm on 27 Jul 13

Less than two months to Concrete Cow 13½ and it's about time I did an update!

My apologies for the long silence. It was caused by a combination of Real Life(TM) and the venue (the Old Bath House) changing management while I was trying to prevent another double booking. Happily, both of these are now resolved and its all systems go for 14 September!

We'll still be in the Old Bath House, the same as ever. The church group should have the message that their meeting is cancelled that day, and we should be able to get into the kitchen.

That also means the entry cost will remain at £5.00.

Leisure Games have confirmed they'll be attending again with lots of shiny books. Mike will be turning up at different times, however. Rather than getting up at the crack of dawn, he'll be appearing mid-morning and staying until the evening games have started. That should give you all more time to peruse his stall and buy everything you can.

We're after a couple of things from you.

First is games! We have one eager beaver, Pete, who's already offered a game of Torchbearer (blurb below). But we need more. Please send be your game blurbs, by whatever means, and I'll add them to the Concrete Cow games list.

The other thing is that we'll be having another charity raffle at Concrete CowThe last one raised £120 for the Alzheimer's Society, so we'll be seeing if we can beat that total in September. If you have any items you'd like to put up as prizes, please let us know.

(I know someone has already offered a prize for the raffle, but I've managed to lose your email. Could you please contact me again?)

And without further ado, here's the Torchbearer blurb:
Torchbearer

Black Deeds in Blackmoor
Adventurer is a dirty word. You’re a scoundrel, a villain, a wastrel, a vagabond, a criminal, a sword-for-hire, a cutthroat.
Torchbearer is a dungeon crawl role-playing game and love letter to Basic D&D. In it, you take on the role of an adventurer seeking his or her fortune. To earn that fortune, you must explore forlorn ruins, brave terrible monsters and retrieve forgotten treasures.

* Players: 3-4
* DM: Pete
Neil Smith
Concrete Cow

Postby catty_big » 7:19pm on 28 Jul 13

In Slot 1 I will offer:
Rock God is unhappy; Rock God is confused; Rock God is angry.
You play a member of the entourage of a faded former rock 'n' roll superstar, who, as his ego has spun out of control, has lost the respect of his friends and former band members, audiences, the music press, basically everyone in fact apart from you, his psychologically damaged but fiercely loyal team.

Why do you stay with this madman? You don't know, but somehow you do, carrying out his increasingly deranged orders even though in doing so you descend ever deeper into a pit of weariness and self-loathing, until one day, one of you has the courage to take the raging bull by the horns and... Ah but let's just see what happens shall we?

GM: Leo
System: My Life with Master
Players: 3-5

In Slot 2 I will offer:
The Marquis of Ferrara
You play a scheming signore at the Court of Niccolo d'Este, Marchese de Ferrara in the late 15c, who at the start of game has just been assassinated. You will have to negotiate the city's treacherous political maze in order to ensure that your interests are served. Treat with everyone but trust no-one.

Facilitator: Leo
System: The Marquis of Ferrara
Players: GMless 4-6

The Marquis of Ferrara is a game in pogress by Richard Lacey, one of the co-authors of Witch: the Road to Lindisfarne.

In Slot 3 I will offer:
SkipJack
Imagine that you’re walking down a quiet, residential suburban street. You come to a house outside which is a skip. Curious, you stop beside it and peer in. You find a jumble of items- a sofa, an old bicycle, a photo frame etc.- and, as you look at them, you begin to speculate as to what kind of person their possessor might have been, and what the items tell you about his or her life.

In SkipJack, the players build a character by choosing from a list of household items such as the above, attach valencies to them (+, -, +/-), and create scenes that explain the Character’s association with the items and that, one by one, provide a picture of what this person was like. As the scenes unfold, the player group fills in the character sheet with what they’ve learned about the Character through play. Link to the current doc here.

This game is likely to be shorter than the other games on offer, possibly two hours or a bit more.

Facilitator: Leo
System: Home brew
Players: GMless 3-5
Last edited by catty_big on 2:48pm on 27 Aug 13, edited 7 times in total.
Occam's razor: one should not increase, beyond what is necessary, the number of entities required to explain something.
Gillette's razor: shaves you closer.
Currently promoting Sci-Fi Beta Kappa (published November 2013) and working on several other games: visit the indyhippo design lab for details.
catty_big has received thanks from the following for this post:
Neil Smith
catty_big
Epic Level
Location: Near the Barbican (City of London) and the Internet.
Playing: Space 1889.
Running: around like a headless chicken.
Planning: SkipJack, Disgraceful, Chaotic Evil, MotorMouth... Oh, so many.

Postby Neil Smith » 9:12pm on 28 Jul 13

Thanks for the games, Catty! I've added them to the list.
Neil Smith
Concrete Cow

Postby wraithben » 9:43pm on 28 Jul 13

We're hoping to make it again so I'll definitely offer one or two things - not too sure what yet.
My name is Ozimandius king of kings, Look on my works ye mighty and despair
wraithben has received thanks from the following for this post:
Neil Smith
wraithben
13th-level
Playing: Depressingly little
Running: The One Ring - online
Planning: The House - Structure tabletop freeform Horror game

Postby Neil Smith » 8:01am on 29 Jul 13

Thanks. Let me know as soon as you've decided.
Neil Smith
Concrete Cow

Postby simonpaulburley » 1:29pm on 05 Aug 13

Hi

I'll be at concrete cow - again. Offering squadron uk - again. However, this time:

1) I'll want to play in a different game in one of the slots
2) I'll be Demoing one or more upcoming products so people will start with pregens. One of these will be WWII. So feel free to list "Finest Hour - the birth of Squadron UK in the dark days of WWII"

As always, if anyone else wants to RUN a game of Squk for me to play in that'd be great.
"People don't stop playing because they get old. They get old because they stop playing."

Been around since original D&D
Author of Golden Heroes, Squadron UK and The Comics Code
Doyen of the British Superhero RPG scene.
simonpaulburley
11th-level
Playing: The odd game at Conventions
Running: Squadron UK, The Comics Code
Planning: Comics Code spin offs, WWII SqUK, SqUK QuickStart

Postby Neil Smith » 7:26pm on 09 Aug 13

A quick update, just to keep people reminded about this!

The games continue to... well, "flood in" would be an overstatement, but as least we're getting some more! As well as the games mentioned upthread (thanks all for offering them!), John and Pete will be offering sessions of their new game Quest:

A GM-less adventure with map making and world building… create an interesting world as you play.

A character-driven world drawn straight from the imagination of the players with pirates elves goblins love gods of death the first cool thing that jumps into your mind.

Amazing stories guaranteed!

Games offered in morning and afternoon slots.

If you're attending and thinking of offering a game, please let me know and I'll add it to the Concrete Cow games list

See you all in a month!
Neil Smith
Concrete Cow

Postby w00hoo » 5:08pm on 11 Aug 13

I will be attending.

I'm going to offer Dogs in the Vineyard for one of the slots. Probably either afternoon or evening.

I'd also be happy to offer up Ribbon Drive for the morning slot, but am aware that it's done a few Cows now and may have reached saturation point for a bit. So rather than be stood around with no game on and one grumpy player who'd signed up hoping it would happen, I'll only run it if two people think they want to play it before the day. If that's all a bit conditional, then just mention Dogs and I'll firm up the slot when I've had a bit of a think.
"I don't want to remember. But if I don't have the memories, nobody will, so I can't forget." - Samantha.
"I think on this one rare occasion the majority of the fault for the confusion probably lies with me." - Omnifray.
w00hoo has received thanks from the following for this post:
Neil Smith
w00hoo
King of the Scribblers
Playing: Age of Rebellion, G+ TOR
Running: Kingdom of Nothing, Supernatural, De Profundis
Planning: SFLRP

Postby wraithben » 5:15pm on 11 Aug 13

It looks like we'll be attending - so I will offer Kingdom in a slot. This is likely to be from the Kickstarter pre-release PDf which I am currently reading. I'll send some info over shortly.

If Ribbon Drive is offered I'll be up for it for certain - having said that NimbyDagda and I got a promise out of Elina to run it for us (and Helen I believe) at Indiecon - so it wouldn't be the end of the world if it wasn't offered.

I'll definitely offer a second slot too - I'm considering Umlaut, but if there isn't interest in that I can offer either Microscope or The Quiet Year instead. I'll pin down the second game once I get a feel for what else is going on.
My name is Ozimandius king of kings, Look on my works ye mighty and despair
wraithben has received thanks from the following for this post:
Neil Smith
wraithben
13th-level
Playing: Depressingly little
Running: The One Ring - online
Planning: The House - Structure tabletop freeform Horror game

Postby Neil Smith » 9:13am on 12 Aug 13

Thanks guys! If you could enblurbify me, I'll update the details on the games list.
Neil Smith
Concrete Cow

Postby catty_big » 10:46am on 12 Aug 13

Neil Smith wrote:Thanks guys! If you could enblurbify me, I'll update the details on the games list.

'Enblurbify'- fantastic! As a lover of language, and especially imaginative neologisms I salute you Neil. That's made my day. (Yeah, sad aren't I?).
Occam's razor: one should not increase, beyond what is necessary, the number of entities required to explain something.
Gillette's razor: shaves you closer.
Currently promoting Sci-Fi Beta Kappa (published November 2013) and working on several other games: visit the indyhippo design lab for details.
catty_big has received thanks from the following for this post:
Neil Smith
catty_big
Epic Level
Location: Near the Barbican (City of London) and the Internet.
Playing: Space 1889.
Running: around like a headless chicken.
Planning: SkipJack, Disgraceful, Chaotic Evil, MotorMouth... Oh, so many.

Postby Epistolary Richard » 10:53pm on 12 Aug 13

w00hoo wrote:I'd also be happy to offer up Ribbon Drive for the morning slot, but am aware that it's done a few Cows now and may have reached saturation point for a bit.

I would like to play Ribbon Drive again!

I would also like to offer Golden Sky Stories so let me know when you might want to offer RD and I'll offer GSS in the other slot.
"Asking Piers to a seminar about the state of the British RPG industry is like asking The Clash if they'd like to attend a Live Aid reunion." Baz King
Epistolary Richard
London Indie RPG
Playing: Anything going at Indiemeet
Planning: Project Y

Postby w00hoo » 10:58pm on 12 Aug 13

OK, I will run Ribbon Drive in slot 1.
"I don't want to remember. But if I don't have the memories, nobody will, so I can't forget." - Samantha.
"I think on this one rare occasion the majority of the fault for the confusion probably lies with me." - Omnifray.
w00hoo
King of the Scribblers
Playing: Age of Rebellion, G+ TOR
Running: Kingdom of Nothing, Supernatural, De Profundis
Planning: SFLRP

Postby Epistolary Richard » 11:55pm on 12 Aug 13

Cool. I will offer GSS in the afternoon slot. Enblurbification!

Golden Sky Stories
Golden Sky Stories is a heartwarming, non-violent role-playing game from Japan. In this game, players take on the role of henge (pronounced hen-gay), animals that have just a little bit of magical power, including the ability to temporarily take on human form. You can be a fox, raccoon dog, cat, dog, rabbit, or bird, and each kind has their own special magical powers. Players will then attempt to solve problems around a small enchanted town with ingenuity, co-operation and friendship.

This is an endearing game, only recently released in English to KS backers.

GM: Epistolary Richard
Players: 2-4
Slot: Afternoon
"Asking Piers to a seminar about the state of the British RPG industry is like asking The Clash if they'd like to attend a Live Aid reunion." Baz King
Epistolary Richard
London Indie RPG
Playing: Anything going at Indiemeet
Planning: Project Y

Next

Return to Concrete Cow