Don't miss

Should Continuum be on every year?

FAQ | Search | Register | Login
View unanswered posts | View active topics | View your posts
A biannual games convention held in Leicester.

Moderators: Rolgan, Julia

Yes, I would love Continuum to be on every year.
47%
No, I prefer Continuum to be every two years.
29%
I am not bothered either way.
21%
I would only attend if Continuum was on every year.
3%

Total votes : 34

Postby Darran » 7:22pm on 05 Feb 11

There is a poll on the Yahoo! Group Continuum 2012 site here.

Continuum will be twenty years old in 2012 and one of the things we are thinking about is making Continuum an annual convention. The next Continuum is in 2012 so it is possible to have another in 2013 and then every year after that.
It does mean a major commitment by the committee to go annually with a massive increase in work load so we want to know if you, the Continuum membership would want to attend every year or make it just a special event that happens every two years?

Yes, I would love Continuum to be on every year.

No, I prefer Continuum to be every two years.

I am not bothered either way.

I would only attend if Continuum was on every year.

To join the Yahoo! Group:
Continuum2012-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
Darran
Con-Quest
Playing: Edge of the Empire
Running: Edge of the Empire
Planning: Firefly Cortex +

Re: Should Continuum be on every year?

Postby SJE » 8:04pm on 05 Feb 11

I might be one of the few who does both the Cambridge con and Continuum (I havent seen a huge amount of crossover), so it would definately be annoying if Continuum was on the same weekend as the New Hall con.

Steve
"Forth, and fear no darkness! Arise. Arise, Riders of Theoden. Spears shall be shaken, shields shall be splintered! A sword day... a red day... ere the sun rises. Ride now!... Ride now!... Ride! Ride for ruin and the world's ending!"

Exalted Actual Play: Gem City Watch! || Dark Heresy- Silver Dawn/The Castermere Look/The Beiderbeck Investigation || ASOI&F - A Knights Tale || Cold City: BSG || Rogue Trader: Eastern Fringes Trading Co. || Elric: Inception in the Dreaming City || Masks of Nyarlathotep-7e||
SJE
14th-level

Postby Queex » 9:06pm on 05 Feb 11

Well, extra load on the committee notwithstanding, I'd eagerly turn up year on year as long as I'm in the area. Continuum 2010 was the first gaming con I'd been to (along with a whole bunch of others from our club) and it's given me a taste for more. Particularly given that it's difficult for me to justify paying to travel further afield, a con just down the road from my workplace is ideal.
Queex
2nd-level
Playing: Ars Magica, possibly
Running: One-shots
Planning: Writing an RPG in a month, over and over again

Postby Nomad » 11:10pm on 05 Feb 11

Continuum is the only con I've attended: 2008 and 2010. Enjoyed both immensly and feel a great deal of loyalty to it.

Being in the IOM attending cons is an expensive affair as its looking £300+ just leaving the island what with ferry (with car) or flight + car hire.

Continuum suits me as its a special event every two years and spreads the cost.

Currently, with a young family, its not looking like I will be able to make a con every year, let alone more than 1. In a few years time, things may change, but even then, Probably not much more than 1 a year, maybe 2.

I voted, not bothered as I didn't want to prejudice anyone else.
115/420
Nomad
Dice Funder
Playing: sPACE 1889 / CoC
Running: The Masks of Nyarlathotep / 3:16 / The Great Pendragon Campaign
Planning: BRP Jorune - Earth Colony Conflict Era / HeroQuest

Postby Avatar » 2:01am on 06 Feb 11

Every year, but in the old Battlemasters slot please.
Lovecraftian Cartoons & Comic Strips By Matt Nixon & Sebastian Dietz.
Check out our Website or become a Fan on Facebook.
Never Knowingly Wrong

Postby ncmreynolds » 2:41am on 06 Feb 11

There's a certain element of "if it's not broken...", I'm sure people would go more often but equally I'd be quite happy for it to stay as it is.
ImageThe Phoenix Games Club- Boardgames and Roleplaying every Thursday in East London
ncmreynolds
Dice Funder

Postby Phil Masters » 11:10am on 06 Feb 11

SJE wrote:I might be one of the few who does both the Cambridge con and Continuum (I havent seen a huge amount of crossover), so it would definately be annoying if Continuum was on the same weekend as the New Hall con.

Despite having missed a few Continuums for assorted personal reasons, I'm in that category too. And I can think of a few other people. Some of them may get to Summer Stabcon, too.

Given that Continuum and the BRS cons actually have a shared ancestry, sort of (there was this Cambridge con that invited Greg Stafford over, back in the early '90s...), it'd be rather weird if they ended up competing.
Phil Masters
8th-level

Postby DigitalMage » 11:44am on 06 Feb 11

I voted on the Yahoo group so won't vote again here (otherwise I would be double counted).

I voted I do not care - my reasoning being that I may still only go every other year, but I wouldn't feel put out if it was going on every year.

One of the reasons I may not go every year is that I now aim to attend PaizoCon UK again which is around the same time of year - I went to the first PaizoCon UK when Continuum wasn't running, but I then dropped out of Pathfinder SOciety games when it moved to the PF RPG as the rules system, so I went to Continuum last year with no perceived clash for me.

Now however I have gotten back into PFS and will be attending PaizoCOn UK this year, again when Continuum isn't running.

Next year? I am not sure yet, I probably will go to Continuum and try to go to PaizoCon UK for at least a couple of slots (its fairly local). But I am not sure I would try that juggling act every year.
R Grant Erswell
Geek in wolf's clothing
Proud member of the West Midlands Roleplayers and Gaming Meetup Group
Want to check out the FATE system? Download Free FATE, a concise 48 page PDF.
Also available is Free FATE Magic, an 8 page PDF that provides a simple but powerful system to add sorcery, summoning and magic items to your Free FATE game.
Free FATE character sheets: A4 size & Half Size with Name Tent
DigitalMage
Dice Funder
Playing: Nothing
Running: About to run a Don't Rest Your Head one-shot
Planning: Mongoose Traveller scenario for TravCon 2013

Postby Newt » 3:33pm on 06 Feb 11

As a long standing Continuuee I voted yes. None of us are getting any younger and now you've not got the heavy burden of getting Greg/Sanday & co over, it seems reasonable to have it every year.

I would certainly support it and put my money where my mouth is by running games all con :)
Newt
D101 Games
Running: Dungeon World
Planning: Wordplay Cyberpunk, Old School D&D, Monkey & 101 other things

Postby Evilgaz » 6:01pm on 06 Feb 11

Only being every other year makes it hard for people to schedule, its not a weekend to block out every year and so can lead to conflicts and people unsure of committing two years in advance.

If its every year, people can still just attend as and when if they wish, every couple of years, but it provides more options for other who are more footloose and fancy free.
Evilgaz
Evil Alien Overlord
Playing: Iron Kingdoms
Running: Savage Worlds, Hot War
Planning: Deadlands, Lot5R

Postby zackspacks » 8:15pm on 06 Feb 11

Newt wrote:As a long standing Continuuee I voted yes. None of us are getting any younger and now you've not got the heavy burden of getting Greg/Sanday & co over, it seems reasonable to have it every year.

I would certainly support it and put my money where my mouth is by running games all con :)

What he said. Apart from the long standing bit. :D

My intention would be to attend yearly, but with my line of work I could be called abroad for weeks at a time, so there is always the possibility I could end up missing one. That would currently result in a 4 year gap ! Thoroughly enjoyed my first Continuum last year, and it fits just within the 3-4 hour range that I am prepared to travel to a con.

cheers
Paul
zackspacks
Dice Funder
Playing: Nothing
Running: Savage Sinbad, Savage Judge Dredd
Planning: Call Of Cthulhu 7e

Postby Darran » 10:22pm on 08 Feb 11

Evilgaz wrote:Only being every other year makes it hard for people to schedule, its not a weekend to block out every year and so can lead to conflicts and people unsure of committing two years in advance.

If its every year, people can still just attend as and when if they wish, every couple of years, but it provides more options for other who are more footloose and fancy free.

This is the reason I want to do it every year, get some new blood in and keep the momentum of it going.
Darran
Con-Quest

Postby Murgh Bpurn » 10:27pm on 08 Feb 11

I probably couldn't/wouldn't attend every year but having the option to would be good
Murgh Bpurn
11th-level

Postby Darran » 11:08pm on 08 Feb 11

Avatar wrote:Every year, but in the old Battlemasters slot please.

There is a convention in the old Battlemasters slot, it's called Con-Quest.
Darran
Con-Quest

Postby Avatar » 11:12pm on 08 Feb 11

Darran wrote:
Avatar wrote:Every year, but in the old Battlemasters slot please.

There is a convention in the old Battlemasters slot, it's called Con-Quest.

Nope, never heard of it - must be one of those foreign Cons! :P
Lovecraftian Cartoons & Comic Strips By Matt Nixon & Sebastian Dietz.
Check out our Website or become a Fan on Facebook.
Never Knowingly Wrong

Next

Return to Continuum