The End of an Era

FAQ | Search | Register | Login
View unanswered posts | View active topics | View your posts
Found out any role playing news that you think UK Role Players would benefit from knowing about? Well, post them here.
Forum rules
This forum is provided to advertise your products, services, upcoming conventions, and general roleplaying news. Items posted here may be copied across to the main website (and therefore disseminated to Facebook, Twitter and Google+). When posting here please do not just provide a link and/or a single sentence. Writing good copy is hard, but please try and describe what you are announcing.

If you are providing a link to RPGNow, DriveThruRPG or Amazon.co.uk please use the BBCode buttons provided. These will automatically format your link and provide the correct affiliate code so that UK Role Players can make a little bit of money at no cost to you. If you would rather use your own link for RPGNow and/or DriveThruRPG please append ?affiliate_id=32567 to the end and do not use any other affiliate code. Other affiliate codes will be removed without warning.

The End of an Era

Postby dpmcalister » 12:15pm on 15 Dec 17

I was going to post a nice, poetic post but as I've just been accused of running this site for a profit and my own benefit, I just can't be arsed anymore.

The domain name here expires in April. I won't be renewing it. That means UK Role Players will close in 4 months.
My administrator/moderator voice is RED.

UK Role Players Affiliate Schemes: Amazon :: CafePress :: DriveThruRPG :: D&D Classics :: ProFantasy :: RPGNow
Personal Links: Blog :: Flickr :: LinkedIn :: Twitter
dpmcalister
Administrator
Running: D&D 5e: Under Illefarn; Lost Mines of Phandelver; Storm King's Thunder

Re: The End of an Era

Postby ragr » 1:33pm on 15 Dec 17

I know you've been pondering this for a while and weighing it all up so it's not a bombshell although it is incredibly disappointing to say the least. This site was a major influence in getting me back into role-playing as a hobby after my two year walk in the wilderness and for that I reserve special thanks for you, Dave.

This place has been a complete hub of my RP life for the last 6 years and other people's for a lot longer. It won't be replaced by anything I can foresee and certainly not by the likes of Facebook and G+; to be honest, I'd rather wander back in the wilderness than subject myself to those platforms on any regular basis.

On the negative side I know that you've felt pushed in this direction as much as pulled and that has been very galling to watch; you have my sympathies on this* and we've talked about it anyway.

Thanks for everything you've done with the site in the period it's been running and a personal thanks in playing a major part of keeping me in the hobby.

(*EDIT: And FULL support.)
"He's an okay GM sometimes" - Pebsie
ragr has received thanks from the following for this post:
dpmcalister, Evilgaz, Grinnen Baeritt, James Mullen
ragr
19th-level
Playing: Trail Of Cthulhu.
Running: CoC (Curse Of Nineveh), Esoterrorists, 13th Age.
Planning: Cthulhu Confidential, Yggdrasill.

Postby Vile » 1:59pm on 15 Dec 17

Ah, bugger. And here's me just reading how this site is no. 25 in a list of the top 100 RPG thingies or something. I come here because it's a small island of normality in the often rather overblown RPG community dominated by our friends over the pond. And because this is the current resting place of The Tavern. Oh, well, the way the internet is going it's not a decision I would argue with, though I hope there will be a successor and that you'll find your way there as a poster, at least.. :|
Vile has received thanks from the following for this post:
Darran, dpmcalister, Grinnen Baeritt
Vile
3rd-level
Playing: Dungeon Inc.
Running: BLUEHACK™
Planning: AEON:engine™

Postby Polar Blues » 2:16pm on 15 Dec 17

Eek! That's heartbreaking news.

I don't know any of the background to this decision so I won't comment, just respect whatever decision is made. But damn, I really like this site. I mean, have you guys seen the rest of the Internet? It's crazy out there!

Thanks for years of support to the community and creating a really good, civilised site for UK roleplayers.
Bounty Hunters of the Atomic Wastelands A post-apocalyptic western game based on Fate. It's simple, it's free and it's in colour! http://ukrpdc.wordpress.com/2014/01/05/bounty-hunters-of-the-atomic-wastelands/
Cyberblues City Cyberblues is a bit like cyberpunk, only more mellow. https://ukrpdc.wordpress.com/2015/10/04/cyberblues-city/
Polar Blues has received thanks from the following for this post:
Darran, dpmcalister, Evilgaz, Grinnen Baeritt
Polar Blues
11th-level

Postby Darran » 2:33pm on 15 Dec 17

That is a great shame.

Dave, you have put in a great amount of work and dedication over the decades that has certainly been appreciated by myself and no doubt a great many others.
It will be sorely missed.

The rest of the RPG sites on the internet are awful. This was the only beacon of civilisation out there!
Cheers,
Darran
-----------------------------
'A lack of planning on your part does not constitute an Emergency on my part'-http://darransims.livejournal.com/
Playing crappy characters on a whim for +35 years!
Darran has received thanks from the following for this post:
dpmcalister, Evilgaz, Grinnen Baeritt
Darran
Dice Funder
Playing: Nothing
Running: Firefly, Supernatural.
Planning: Wilderness Throne, Tales from the Loop.

Postby Evilgaz » 2:40pm on 15 Dec 17

Fair play Dave, I think you've done a stalwart job over the years and it's been a great achievement.

It does feel like other media platforms are winning out - and it's impossible to go to one place these days as a catch all, with my usual journey round several places to try and connect with different people.

I know from speaking at conventions and at other times you seem to be putting in a large amount of admin effort, but little positive benefit - and to coin a phrase Baz is fond of - if it's not fun, don't do it.

I'm sure everyone here appreciates the time and effort you've put in over the years, I know I do.

(PS I'd suggest people don't attempt to find the top 100 thingy mentioned above, The Smart Party and others are on the list, but it appears to be a site for harvesting the details of those who sign up and has negative reviews! :) )
Evilgaz has received thanks from the following for this post:
Darran, dpmcalister, Grinnen Baeritt, Vile
Evilgaz
Evil Alien Overlord
Playing: Iron Kingdoms
Running: Savage Worlds, Hot War
Planning: Deadlands, Lot5R

Postby nclarke » 3:12pm on 15 Dec 17

Sorry to hear this news Dave. I've enjoyed my time here and it's a shame that people being **** have caused you to carefully ponder your position before pulling the plug. Now that there won't be a UKRP some folks will complain and some might regret not doing more to support and encourage the site. I'll retreat to G+ which sort of works for me and a few other forums where I find the company congenial.
Nigel
nclarke has received thanks from the following for this post:
Darran, dpmcalister, Evilgaz, Grinnen Baeritt
nclarke
10th-level

Postby satbunny » 3:29pm on 15 Dec 17

I've emailed you.
I'll just place here the most important point in that email that I want everyone to read:

I was not so sad when the Tavern burnt down cause I knew that UKRP had outperformed it and was happy to come over.
Now I am somewhat devastated, since the combined bubble and brew on UKRP has been great this year.
Tom Zunder: tom at zunder.org.uk
satbunny has received thanks from the following for this post:
Darran, dpmcalister, dr_mitch, Grinnen Baeritt, Vile
satbunny
The Guvnor
Playing: Symbaroum
Running: Nowt
Planning: Dolmenwood and Science Fiction

Postby MongooseMatt » 3:29pm on 15 Dec 17

If you would consider a re-hosting/continuation, drop me a line (msprange@mongoosepublishing.com). We might be able to help.
MongooseMatt has received thanks from the following for this post:
Darran, DigitalMage, dpmcalister, Grognard
MongooseMatt
Mongoose Publishing

Postby Morthrai » 3:49pm on 15 Dec 17

It will be a damn shame to lose this place. I haven't spent a lot of time here, preferring to pop in and out, but it's always been mostly calm and collected and people have been supportive of my small efforts. I also got some free pencils one time :)

Whatever happens, a hearty thanks to you for everything Dave.
Lee Williams.
The Dark Times Fanzine
"Superstition is a name the ignorant give to their ignorance"
Morthrai has received thanks from the following for this post:
Darran, dpmcalister, Evilgaz, Grinnen Baeritt, Pebsie
Morthrai
5th-level
Playing: Nothing
Running: Nothing
Planning: The Dark Times Fanzine, new homebrew campaign

Postby James Mullen » 4:10pm on 15 Dec 17

Ah, grunnocks :(

I'll be sorry to lose this site, it's been fantastic for connecting with other role-players, but you have to do what's best for you Dave.

My only personal interaction with you was when sitting running a game on the comfy sofas at Naish (I know, go figure...) and you gave me a UKRPG die because every time you passed that spot, I was there running something. :D

Thanks again for everything!
Blood & Water is available now on DriveThru: "An awesome, awesome game of mundane nonsense" - Neil Gow

Keep up with new nano-games and other games in development at the Groundhoggoth blog.
James Mullen has received thanks from the following for this post:
Darran, dpmcalister, Evilgaz, Grinnen Baeritt, ragr
James Mullen
Spaghetti ConJunction
Playing: A Smorgasbord of Short Games
Planning: Spaghetti ConJunction 2a

Postby Baz King » 4:31pm on 15 Dec 17

This is ****. I’m sad and actually a bit angry that things have come to this.

Absolutely respect your decision Dave, but hope you’ll change your mind. If you don’t mind me asking publically, what would it take to make that happen?
"Baz, I believe, is absolutely 100% right." Neil Gow

My RPG stuff for you to own http://www.drivethrurpg.com/browse/pub/5880/Grand-Scheme-Publishing

What Would the Smart Party Do? https://smartparty.wordpress.com/
Baz King has received thanks from the following for this post:
dpmcalister, Grinnen Baeritt, Grognard, satbunny
Baz King
D&D&D
Playing: Star Wars
Running: 5e
Planning: The next Smart Party podcast

Postby dr_mitch » 4:36pm on 15 Dec 17

Firstly, I find this an enormous pity. I've lost count of the ways that this site has been useful to me. To give just one example, there's absolutely no way I'd have got people together for the first Seven Hills without this site. To give another, a new player in a face to face group is from here too.

But with gratitude and regret, you've got to do what you've got to do Dave. I know that these days you're finding UKRP a demanding and thankless task, and one taking a lot of energy and taxing your patience. I hope that in this thread we've at least made it feel a bit less thankless, at least.
dr_mitch has received thanks from the following for this post:
Darran, dpmcalister, Evilgaz, Grinnen Baeritt, ragr, satbunny
dr_mitch
dr_mitch
Playing: Esoterrorists, Unknown Armies, Cthulhu Invictus
Running: D&D 5e, The One Ring
Planning: Lots. Always.

Postby First Age » 4:40pm on 15 Dec 17

Very sorry to see the place go and huge thanks to you Dave, for everything. We know you've been wanting to close for a while, for a variety of reasons, but I'm sorry that you are closing with those feelings.

G+ would be OK, there's already such a lot going on there. If that is where we go I hope we all do and see each other over there. If not then somewhere else.

But, mostly, thanks to you Dave.
First Age

Come to our Sheffield RPG Convention
Furnace: http://furnace.org.uk/
I write games: http://wordplaygames.co.uk
First Age has received thanks from the following for this post:
Darran, dpmcalister, Evilgaz, Grinnen Baeritt, satbunny
First Age
First Age
Planning: Heroic Fantasy

Postby Shane » 4:45pm on 15 Dec 17

Dave, thanks for everything. UKRP is an island of sanity in an RPG internet of hassle.

And if the person/people that pushed Dave to this are reading this: you're why we can't have nice things. Feel free to **** off.

Shane
Shane has received thanks from the following for this post:
cade_tosscobble, Darran, dpmcalister, dr_mitch, Grinnen Baeritt, jester_uk, satbunny
Shane
Dice Funder
Playing: D&D 5e (quarterly-ish)
Running: D&D 5e (online weekly), Family D&D 5e (weekly-ish)
Planning: Conan 2d20 or The One Ring, mood dependant

Next

Return to Announcements