Omnimatt's To-Play List:- Please Help :-)

FAQ | Search | Register | Login
View unanswered posts | View active topics | View your posts
Omnifray:- fantasy roleplay in the mysterious Enshrouded Lands, "a thousand worlds in one", where magic bubbles away beneath the surface, beyond the ken of the common folk, with a unique, detailed, highly flexible rules system

Omnimatt's To-Play List:- Please Help :-)

Postby Omnifray » 8:33pm on 23 Feb 13

This is my current list of games I feel I ought to play, or at least read and think about, but haven't yet done so, or not enough to get a full handle on them.

[This list has been edited since some of the replies later in the thread, to keep it current.]

OD&D [White Box or Brown Box version]
Lords of Olympus (as an alternative to Amber, without having to know the Amber fiction)
Cortex+ Drama (aka Smallville) - for group party-gen
Universalis [alternatively, perhaps, Microscope... under discussion in thread]
Savage Worlds [just because]
Pendragon
FATE [could be FATE Core]
Seventh Sea
Archipelago and/or (other) "Structured Freeform Stuff" by Matthijs Holter and/or Emily Care[-Boss?]
The One Ring [just because]
CHIEFS (...)
Call of Cthulhu (already played it once)
Vampire: the Masquerade (played it in Germany yonks ago but didn't understand it then)
a bit more Beat to Quarters / Duty & Honour (already played BtQ once, was surprised by how good it was)
a bit more TurboDice / Crimson Exodus (already played TurboDice once, brilliant game)

Please help me put them in some sort of order of priority!

Games I've already played and/or GM'd include:- AD&D 1st edition, AD&D 2nd edition, BECMI D&D (up to Master set; read Immortals set but never played it), Dragon Warriors, WHFRP 1st edition, WHFRP 2nd edition, Vampire: the Requiem (MET-LARP version), Mage: the something or other (1 session only), Miravlor & its predecessor-game, full-fat Omnifray, Omnifray Lite, Soul's Calling, numerous foam-sword and homebrew salon LARPs (vampire-themed and Cthulhu-themed salon LARPs, Astral Conclave and 3 different high fantasy foam-sword LARPs), Fiasco, Montsegur 1244, Dead of Night, I Would Do Anything For Lady Katja, Mouse Guard, OctaNe, TurboDice, a Dungeon World hack (Elizabethan Plymouth), Cursed Empire (crunchy version), Beat to Quarters (Star Wars setting), Albion (canon and Ancient Celts settings), Call of Cthulhu (though only once), Rune Quest (2nd edition), D&D 3rd edition, D&D 3.5, Pathfinder, Freeform Cursed Empire, Space Hulk, WHFB, WH40K, Shogun (the really old one), Paranoia (though only once), Vampire: the Masquerade (LARP version, in Germany, didn't really understand what was going on at the time, partly because I was unfamiliar with V:tM terminology and didn't know whether some of the words being used were German words I didn't know or V:tM terms I didn't know...), Fighting Fantasy gamebooks, Choose Your Own Adventure gamebooks, Battlepits of Krath gamebooks, Ages of Despair (MUD), Eye of the Beholder, Eye of the Beholder II, Heroquest (the GW boardgame).

I will not play MMORPGs, MUDs or MUSHes. Ages of Despair was the only one and I don't want to play another one.

I also have a short "to-read list" which currently consists of:-

Stealing Cthulhu by Graham Walmsley
some Stanislavsky-type books
that Forgey book on immersion
Looking for playtesters for the Implodarc Tabletop RPG. If you'd like to playtest it and post public feedback or an AP thread, ask me for the private link to download it, or I can e-mail it to you. At least compared to my usual stuff, it's meant to be simple and quick to play with quick CharGen.
Omnifray
Omnifray

Re: Omnimatt's To-Play List:- Please Help :-)

Postby catty_big » 11:57pm on 27 May 13

Omnifray wrote:This is my current list of games I feel I ought to play, or at least read and think about, but haven't yet done so, or not enough to get a full handle on them.

Universalis

Please help me put them in some sort of order of priority!

Well for a start, don't bother with Universalis, it's dire. I played it at Expo on Sunday, and it truly stank. Basically, if Universalis is the question, Microscope is the answer.
catty_big has received thanks from the following for this post:
dr_mitch
catty_big
Epic Level

Postby Evilgaz » 7:08am on 28 May 13

The One Ring is with it - although badly organised as a book, its got some good stuff in and is sufficiently different from regular games to make it interesting for you. A new FATE core is due within the next few weeks and is your best bet. Cthulhu 7th is hitting Kickstarter any time now so its probably worth holding off until later in the year before trying that.
Evilgaz
Evil Alien Overlord
Playing: Iron Kingdoms
Running: Savage Worlds, Hot War
Planning: Deadlands, Lot5R

Postby Neil Gow » 8:13am on 28 May 13

You could probably clean up a chunk of those by a day trip to Furnace and some sharp elbows.

Neil
Omnihedron Games - Publisher of Duty & Honour and Beat to Quarters
Keep up-to-date with Omnihedron on Facebook or Google+
ZackSpacks - "I get highly amused by Neil Gow’s constant slagging of Call of Cthulhu"
Jonny Gray - "Ron Edwards is no way as passionate as The Gow"
Nick Reynolds - "Suffice to say no Gon was left Un-zoed in this tour-de-force of Gow cod-British tourism-tat-driven madness."
Neil Gow has received thanks from the following for this post:
Omnifray
Neil Gow
Gow Bear
Playing: Dresden Files Accelerated
Running: Monsterhearts 2, Symbaroum
Planning: Unliving, Dead of Night

Postby oreso » 6:56pm on 28 May 13

Small thing: Archipelago -is- a structured freeform by Matthjis Holter.

I'd be really interested to see what you think of Archipelago (as "Love in the Time of Seid" or it's other incarnations). The balance of meta stuff and "shut up, game, I'm immersing right now" is pretty good, I think.
Keep up with the latest Pompey Crew Design games, like Witch: The Road to Lindisfarne and the Marquis of the Ferrara, here! Some free games too!
oreso has received thanks from the following for this post:
Omnifray
oreso
17th-level

Postby Omnifray » 1:03pm on 01 Jun 13

catty_big wrote:Well for a start, don't bother with Universalis, it's dire. I played it at Expo on Sunday, and it truly stank. Basically, if Universalis is the question, Microscope is the answer.

This is most curious, as I have heard fairly bad things about Microscope.

What makes Microscope and Universalis similar to each other, but distinct from other storygames/RPGs? What makes Microscope "better" at this than Universalis?

In other words, how is Universalis the question and Microscope the answer?

Universalis made my list because of the Venn diagram Andy Kitkowski put up in this thread:- http://www.story-games.com/forums/discussion/5208/speak-to-me-of-in-a-wicked-age/p1
Looking for playtesters for the Implodarc Tabletop RPG. If you'd like to playtest it and post public feedback or an AP thread, ask me for the private link to download it, or I can e-mail it to you. At least compared to my usual stuff, it's meant to be simple and quick to play with quick CharGen.
Omnifray
Omnifray

Postby Mick Red » 1:08pm on 01 Jun 13

Who told you bad things about Microscope? And what did they say? I've never heard anyone say anything but good stuff about it
Mick Red
Gibbering Mouther
Playing: Esoterrorists
Running: Into the Odd
Planning: Yoon-Suin

Postby Omnifray » 1:13pm on 01 Jun 13

Well I don't want to land anyone in controversial waters by naming them but reading between the lines of what I was told, the person concerned played a game of Microscope at a convention and found the whole thing rather silly and aimless. Maybe excessively over-the-top / gonzo, or maybe just lacking in any kind of coherent thread of action.

But I wasn't in that game, and didn't have a long conversation about it, so I'm only going on rough second-hand impressions.
Omnifray
Omnifray

Postby ncmreynolds » 1:14pm on 01 Jun 13

Mick Red wrote:Who told you bad things about Microscope? And what did they say? I've never heard anyone say anything but good stuff about it

Probably Matt's mate (whose name escapes me) who played with Elaine, Wendy, Brenda and myself at Conception. It was a terrible game we abandoned before the end, just couldn't make it work. :(
This space left intentionally blank
ncmreynolds
Dice Funder

Postby dr_mitch » 2:10pm on 01 Jun 13

I've played Microscope twice. First game (QoT's Furnace game) was terrific. Second game (with home group) was awful. It's a game that needs everyone to have fairly similar tastes in what they want to do, I think.

As for Universalis, it covers broadly similar ground to Microscope, but is one of the few games that seems completely beyond my comprehension.
dr_mitch
dr_mitch
Playing: Esoterrorists, Unknown Armies, Cthulhu Invictus
Running: D&D 5e, The One Ring
Planning: Lots. Always.

Postby Omnifray » 2:16pm on 01 Jun 13

The maths is too hard?

8)
Omnifray
Omnifray

Postby ncmreynolds » 2:19pm on 01 Jun 13

dr_mitch wrote:I've played Microscope twice. First game (QoT's Furnace game) was terrific. Second game (with home group) was awful. It's a game that needs everyone to have fairly similar tastes in what they want to do, I think.

This. Also, it suffers from the curse of all GM-less games in that sometimes for no discernible reason it just doesn't sing.
This space left intentionally blank
ncmreynolds
Dice Funder

Return to Omnifray