Soul's Calling Capsule Review on RPG.net

FAQ | Search | Register | Login
View unanswered posts | View active topics | View your posts
Omnifray:- fantasy roleplay in the mysterious Enshrouded Lands, "a thousand worlds in one", where magic bubbles away beneath the surface, beyond the ken of the common folk, with a unique, detailed, highly flexible rules system

Moderator: Omnifray

Soul's Calling Capsule Review on RPG.net

Postby Omnifray » 2:00pm on 22 Jul 13

Asen Georgiev has kindly posted a capsule review of the playtest edition of Soul's Calling here:- http://www.rpg.net/reviews/archive/15/15914.phtml
Looking for playtesters for the Implodarc Tabletop RPG. If you'd like to playtest it and post public feedback or an AP thread, ask me for the private link to download it, or I can e-mail it to you. At least compared to my usual stuff, it's meant to be simple and quick to play with quick CharGen.
Omnifray
Omnifray

Re: Soul's Calling Capsule Review on RPG.net

Postby Mist77 » 8:01pm on 01 Aug 13

Having played a few playtests of Souls calling now with Matt.

Generally a good game. It is another variation on a fantasy world, but definitively it's own variation which means as a player you are going to have some surprises as to how things work exactly. Matt has done a lot of work on his setting so there is a fair bit there.
The big effect is a matter known as the shrouding. Basically the fates of the world don't want most folks to know about magic. So while your hero's may well know a fair bit and maybe even be able to use some the level of magic flying about day to day will be quite low. Those who go about telling the ordinary folks stuff or throwing bolts of fire etc in public tend to get stamped on really rather hard.
The game aims to emphasise in character immersion. Matt provides a lot of advice on this subject. Which in my opinion many gamers will rummage through and take the bits they find useful and ignore the ones that don't suit their style or for which they already have a functioning solution they see no point in changing. However there is a lot of good ideas in there.

The game mechanics are based on the D12 system Matt has used before but the various pools of chips etc have gone making things far quicker and easier for players in Soul's Calling. There are re-rolls available if needed but at least or demo games the ref now handles that so you can play the game and worry about it only if you need to. Combat is violent and dangerous, you are unlikely to come out of a real fight without some scratches. Warrior characters are likely to win but. You won't generally want to get into battles (if you are a sane character) but if you do they won't take lots of playing time while still offering drama and leaving the ref the ability to take role-playing into account through modifiers.

Characters are built using templates so you should end up with someone that's is a 'reasonable' person and has some balance to their abilities.

I would not call the rules the easiest read for the ref, but there is plenty in there and generally the actual mechanics are quite easy. All the complexity can be pre calculated onto character sheets and a lot of the volume is advice and options. Also unlike too many big game systems out there the maths works as stated because Matt knowns his numbers.

I seem to keep going back for more so Matt must be doing something right...
Mist77 has received thanks from the following for this post:
Omnifray
Mist77
6th-level

Re: Soul's Calling Capsule Review on RPG.net

Postby Omnifray » 6:28pm on 02 Aug 13

Many thanks for the comments!
Looking for playtesters for the Implodarc Tabletop RPG. If you'd like to playtest it and post public feedback or an AP thread, ask me for the private link to download it, or I can e-mail it to you. At least compared to my usual stuff, it's meant to be simple and quick to play with quick CharGen.
Omnifray
Omnifray

Return to Omnifray