Proof-Reading Soul's Calling, Eyes on Indiecon 2013

FAQ | Search | Register | Login
View unanswered posts | View active topics | View your posts
Omnifray:- fantasy roleplay in the mysterious Enshrouded Lands, "a thousand worlds in one", where magic bubbles away beneath the surface, beyond the ken of the common folk, with a unique, detailed, highly flexible rules system

Proof-Reading Soul's Calling, Eyes on Indiecon 2013

Postby Omnifray » 1:23pm on 19 Oct 13

Last night I finally finished going through the entire Soul's Calling RPG Basic Handbook and annotating it in manuscript with little changes here and there that I wanted to make. Changes range from fixing the very, very small number of typos (one instance of "he" for "the", for example) to adding a solid page or two's worth of material on the CharGen process, namely regarding how much leeway the ref-team gets to meddle with your backstory (and maybe stats). I spent ten minutes adding in other bits and pieces earlier today.

I don't know when I'll get the time to type all these little changes up in soft copy, but it seemed appropriate to start this task in early September because in the process I've drummed a lot of the rules into my head and I'm going to be running a few games of Soul's Calling at Indiecon.

Next up is scenario prep for Soul's Calling and more prep for Simon Burley's Squadron UK, which I'm reffing on the Friday evening of Indiecon 2013 as Part I of the Great GM swap. I've read the basic rules for Squadron UK and in the round they are intuitive and make plenty of sense, but I think I'll benefit from reading the full rules and then re-reading the basic rules. I'm hoping that will be quick work seeing as I've already read the rules the once.

My major plan for running Soul's Calling at Indiecon is to port over a bunch of characters I genned up for a game in Darlington earlier this year, but I need to re-read all the character sheets and backgrounds and make a few changes. For starters the game I ran in Darlington assumed I would have one or two female players (playing female characters) and I don't know whether that will be the case at Indiecon so I may have to modify some of the text a bit.

Anyway it feels as if I have plenty to be getting on with!
Looking for playtesters for the Implodarc Tabletop RPG. If you'd like to playtest it and post public feedback or an AP thread, ask me for the private link to download it, or I can e-mail it to you. At least compared to my usual stuff, it's meant to be simple and quick to play with quick CharGen.
Omnifray
Omnifray

Re: Proof-Reading Soul's Calling, Eyes on Indiecon 2013

Postby Mick Red » 4:22pm on 20 Oct 13

Cant male players play female characters then?
Mick Red
Gibbering Mouther
Playing: Esoterrorists
Running: Into the Odd
Planning: Yoon-Suin

Postby Omnifray » 9:01pm on 20 Oct 13

Mick Red wrote:Cant male players play female characters then?

In Soul's Calling specifically, if a player is reasonably happy playing a same-sexed character, then that's encouraged. But if they feel strongly about wanting to play an opposite-sexed character, then obviously that's what they're going to do. I'm not putting this forward as some kind of golden wisdom that should apply to all roleplaying games; it's just about the immersiveness of the game, that's all. Take Mick Red for instance. How convincing is Mick Red playing Caedmyn the Master Crossbowman, and how convincing is he playing Beyma the Shieldmaiden?

Anyway getting away from the idea of the rules dictating how people play, it's obviously better that people at least have the option to play same-sexed characters. I know that I personally have a tough time playing female characters.
Looking for playtesters for the Implodarc Tabletop RPG. If you'd like to playtest it and post public feedback or an AP thread, ask me for the private link to download it, or I can e-mail it to you. At least compared to my usual stuff, it's meant to be simple and quick to play with quick CharGen.
Omnifray
Omnifray

Postby w00hoo » 6:50am on 21 Oct 13

You could always just create extra pre-gens so people have more choice. 9 pregens for a 5-6 player game would ensure no one ended up with a character they didn't want at all.
"I don't want to remember. But if I don't have the memories, nobody will, so I can't forget." - Samantha.
"I think on this one rare occasion the majority of the fault for the confusion probably lies with me." - Omnifray.
w00hoo
Dice Funder
Playing: Torchwood Victorian, Unisystem Post Apoc, G+ TOR
Running: Nothing
Planning: Always SFLRP

Postby Omnifray » 11:54am on 21 Oct 13

I've genned up more than 20 PCs I can use in this, but some are core, and some have interconnected backgrounds... depending on who's in play as a PC. That's bound to make my life a bit more complicated but so be it. 16 of the PCs are in pairs of plot-equivalent male/female characters, some of whom may co-exist in the game, and some of whom may not, and some of whom are quite different from their opposite-number pairs. For instance, Lady Urva (an original character from the Darlo game) is in a pair with Laev Anatolovic. She's a better warrior than he is, but he has other skills. If she is played as a PC, he died some years ago. If he is played as a PC, she could still be an NPC (probably with different stats/backstory).
Omnifray
Omnifray

Postby Omnifray » 12:30am on 25 Apr 14

Omnifray wrote:Last night I finally finished going through the entire Soul's Calling RPG Basic Handbook and annotating it in manuscript with little changes here and there that I wanted to make. ...

I don't know when I'll get the time to type all these little changes up in soft copy ...

... and the answer to that appears to be... around about now.

I've implemented the edits to the first 220 out of about 360 pages (inclusive of Intro, Appendix and illustration pages).

So far it's about 12 pages longer than it was previously.

There have also been some spur of the moment things.

* I'm calling the main edition the "core edition" rather than "basic edition", as the "freeform edition" will be simpler
* I've added the Commander template (see other thread)
* I've improved the power of mundane characters compared to magic-using types

With regard to the last of these, the difference between a basic peasant and a newbie adventurer is now about 875 "advancement points" in easily costed advantages plus uncosted advantages probably worth around 200-300 APs. About 250 APs would go on having a fairly basic level of magic, so two-ninths of the total advantage. The typical newbie adventurer is in a different league to your basic peasant, probably about 12 times more effective in combat than a typical peasant before you factor in the advantage of fate and better equipment and maybe 3 times more effective than a peasant on average across a whole range of areas. A non-magic user is now going to be on average about 40% better than a magic-using type, statistically, across most areas, and likely to be twice as good at mundane fighting (that does depend very much on individual stats though). Basically, the cost of having unremarkable magic is similar to the cost of about 1 point on every stat, in a d12+stat v d12+stat system. I'm hoping this will be perceived as balanced.
Omnifray
Omnifray

Return to Omnifray