Soul's Calling RPG Core Guide - ashcan now out!

FAQ | Search | Register | Login
View unanswered posts | View active topics | View your posts
Omnifray:- fantasy roleplay in the mysterious Enshrouded Lands, "a thousand worlds in one", where magic bubbles away beneath the surface, beyond the ken of the common folk, with a unique, detailed, highly flexible rules system

Soul's Calling RPG Core Guide - ashcan now out!

Postby Omnifray » 7:41am on 07 Sep 14

The Soul's Calling RPG Core Guide is now out in its ashcan edition (old artwork, no index). Be part of its early days! http://www.lulu.com/shop/matt-west/soul ... 94263.html

Currently available only in print (hardback, via Lulu). Full blurb in spoiler tags below.

Spoiler: show
Here the primeval ooze still clings to its ancient manner of life. Here the foulest and most murderous of gods are zealots of righteousness. Here, in the Enshrouded Lands, here I stand at the edge of the unknown.

Tread where powerful spirits strive against each other each for the sake of right. Follow quests where charm, charisma and deception count as high as eldritch arcana and the might of the sword. Do battle where otherworldly realms form a potent tapestry overlaid upon the mortal world, and in death, adventure still beckons. Luxuriate in an atmospheric Medievalesque setting of potent hidden magic yet grounded appearances. Be faerie-blooded, or be a merchant-adventurer, a cultist, a scout, a warrior, or a leader of warriors. A game designed specifically for maximal immersion no matter the cost, for the riveting experience of stepping entirely into your character’s shoes, Soul’s Calling will put true magic into your roleplay. The mechanics, the setting and the fully explained, baked-in playstyle are all geared to help you suspend your disbelief in the notion that you are your adventurer.

The Soul's Calling tabletop RPG encourages a style of roleplay loosely inspired by acting methods, giving the game in your living room a feel reminiscent of live roleplay. Be in tune with your adventurer’s "golden motive"; tone of voice, posture and facial expression are key tools for truer portrayal. The game's take on in-character social interaction uniquely maximises fluid dialogue without jettisoning social stats. For combat and magic the game has special, flexible tools for skewing the odds of different outcomes to reflect your adventurer's precise intentions. The game also supports a sense of exploring the unknown and the mysterious and of confronting trickery and intrigue.

Included are all the rules, advice and setting materials essential for running or playing Soul's Calling. Characters are portable into the planned expanded edition (which still requires this book). This game isn’t designed for purely tactical play, nor for pure storygaming, but careful thought has also been applied to accommodating those styles within a primarily immersive RPG, without compromising immersion. Bear in mind that this is the ashcan edition (old artwork, no index).

May your fellow gamers look forward to fighting dragons with you!

Meanwhile the Player's Quickstarter is free to download at http://www.lulu.com/shop/matt-west/soul ... 89804.html, or can be had in print at a reasonable price at http://www.lulu.com/shop/matt-west/soul ... 89787.html. For a flavour of the game-world, you might be interested in The Ragings of the Fae (two short stories), available as an e-pub at http://www.lulu.com/shop/matt-west/the- ... 93126.html or in print at http://www.lulu.com/shop/matt-west/the- ... 92830.html. Minor edits to the Player's Quickstarter may be effected soon.
Looking for playtesters for the Implodarc Tabletop RPG. If you'd like to playtest it and post public feedback or an AP thread, ask me for the private link to download it, or I can e-mail it to you. At least compared to my usual stuff, it's meant to be simple and quick to play with quick CharGen.
Omnifray
Omnifray

Re: Soul's Calling RPG Core Guide - ashcan now out!

Postby Omnifray » 6:51pm on 07 Sep 14

Character sheets can be downloaded for free for printing here:- http://www.lulu.com/shop/matt-west/soul ... 94917.html (in US letter format, but this should print fine to A4, which is slightly larger - try it a couple of pages at a time first, to check your settings work; if not, you could try using a PDF-printer to print it to A4-sized PDF then print out in hard copy from that).
Looking for playtesters for the Implodarc Tabletop RPG. If you'd like to playtest it and post public feedback or an AP thread, ask me for the private link to download it, or I can e-mail it to you. At least compared to my usual stuff, it's meant to be simple and quick to play with quick CharGen.
Omnifray
Omnifray

Postby kamawell » 9:18pm on 07 Sep 14

Wow! £23.57 for an ashcan edition? I know the blurb says "maximal immersion no matter the cost" but even so :)
"That better be wardrobe and it better be good news."
kamawell has received thanks from the following for this post:
Darran, Evilgaz
kamawell
Dice Funder

Postby Omnifray » 10:02pm on 07 Sep 14

kamawell wrote:Wow! £23.57 for an ashcan edition? I know the blurb says "maximal immersion no matter the cost" but even so :)

It's a 396-page hardback (partly because it's mostly in 12-point font to help dyslexics and other people with reading difficulties - I've used Helvetica this time). The manufacturing cost from Lulu is £19.02, so that's £4.55 profit for yours truly. The £23.57 you quote sadly isn't inclusive of postage and packing either, so I'm guessing for a UK delivery of a single copy it might be the thick end of thirty quid (the thing weighs basically a kilo). Prices obviously are subject to change.

Where I've missed a trick is that DriveThruRPG has much lower manufacturing costs with a half-inch more space on the page in each direction:- http://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?735 ... Publishing (especially post #10). But I get the feeling DriveThruRPG isn't really for ashcan products, more for final releases (and obviously is specifically for RPGs not other products though it has sister companies).

So the final release will hopefully be on DriveThruRPG, with better art; I haven't decided on pricing yet.

The book price is set at US$29.99.

I've ordered a small number of copies and will bring some to Indiecon where people can have a look. If anyone wanted to boost my ego by buying it off me there, the cost to me of each copy is slightly over £21, including postage and packing.

I am thinking, maybe as Kickstarter rewards, I could make the ashcan edition available in other formats more cheaply before final release. But I am some way off even being ready to get a Kickstarter going.
Omnifray
Omnifray

Postby Baz King » 10:13pm on 07 Sep 14

What does Ashcan mean? Please forgive my ignorance.
"Baz, I believe, is absolutely 100% right." Neil Gow

My RPG stuff for you to own http://www.drivethrurpg.com/browse/pub/5880/Grand-Scheme-Publishing

What Would the Smart Party Do? https://smartparty.wordpress.com/
Baz King
D&D&D
Playing: Star Wars
Running: 5e
Planning: The next Smart Party podcast

Postby kamawell » 11:15pm on 07 Sep 14

Why do an ashcan in hardcover at all?
If you're looking at Kickstarter wouldn't it be a better plan to give the no-art version away for free as a pdf to try and get people interested in shelling out money for a nicer edition? Even a soft cover version would be a lot cheaper according to Lulu's pricing widget.
"That better be wardrobe and it better be good news."
kamawell
Dice Funder

Postby Evilgaz » 11:29pm on 07 Sep 14

Baz - Ashcan is a term from comic land, but in indie RPG circles is typically a cheap ass beta copy of a game (maybe sans art or black and white, ring bound or whatever) so that folk can get it before its properly released. The normal reason is because the game won't be ready for a particular convention for release, or to get some initial play and feedback to smarten things up for the proper release.
The price point and hardback production fly in the face of convention - but then Omnifray products tend to work on their own rules.
Evilgaz has received thanks from the following for this post:
Baz King
Evilgaz
Evil Alien Overlord
Playing: Iron Kingdoms
Running: Savage Worlds, Hot War
Planning: Deadlands, Lot5R

Postby Omnifray » 11:53pm on 07 Sep 14

kamawell wrote:Why do an ashcan in hardcover at all?

Well, really, the reason for this release is for me and my mates to be able to play it. Eventually I will get a nice attractive edition sorted, with artwork, possibly even formatting, to attract more interest from the punters. But it's going to be a long time before that happens, and in the meantime, I would really like to be playing this game. I don't want to be playing it from a PDF on a laptop. I want a nice book that won't fall apart. That's why.

If anyone wants to buy a copy too, that's a bonus.

But I don't expect the final text to change much. I'm not planning another wholesale revision of the product. This is virtually the final release. Any changes to the text are likely to be relatively trivial. (For instance, I have found one formatting error where two letters aren't in italics but the rest of the word is. And I have just realised that I miscorrected the date of the impending end of the Age of Man by two years. That kind of thing.)

kamawell wrote:If you're looking at Kickstarter wouldn't it be a better plan to give the no-art version away for free as a pdf to try and get people interested in shelling out money for a nicer edition? Even a soft cover version would be a lot cheaper according to Lulu's pricing widget.

I'm looking at all the options, including pre-Kickstarter. Watch this space!
Omnifray
Omnifray

Postby Baz King » 7:32am on 08 Sep 14

Ta Gaz. I did look it up, and as you say, in comics it means something different. Apparently it's to do with ensuring copyright as you can claim it's published even if not for proper public consumption. Hence it ends up in an 'ashcan' I guess.
"Baz, I believe, is absolutely 100% right." Neil Gow

My RPG stuff for you to own http://www.drivethrurpg.com/browse/pub/5880/Grand-Scheme-Publishing

What Would the Smart Party Do? https://smartparty.wordpress.com/
Baz King
D&D&D
Playing: Star Wars
Running: 5e
Planning: The next Smart Party podcast

Postby Evilgaz » 8:07am on 08 Sep 14

Yeah, its supposed to be throwaway. Typically the indie gamers have offered a discount on the full version once it comes out, if you bought the ashcan version.
Evilgaz
Evil Alien Overlord
Playing: Iron Kingdoms
Running: Savage Worlds, Hot War
Planning: Deadlands, Lot5R

Postby dr_mitch » 8:25am on 08 Sep 14

I'm struggling to think of an example, but I recall some failed Kickstarters leading to ashcan editions.
dr_mitch
dr_mitch
Playing: Esoterrorists, Unknown Armies, Cthulhu Invictus
Running: D&D 5e, The One Ring
Planning: Lots. Always.

Postby Omnifray » 4:17pm on 08 Sep 14

dr_mitch wrote:I'm struggling to think of an example, but I recall some failed Kickstarters leading to ashcan editions.

Let's please not use the term "failed Kickstarter" on this subforum!!! :shock:

Don't want to jinx things :o
Omnifray
Omnifray

Return to Omnifray