in the works

FAQ | Search | Register | Login
View unanswered posts | View active topics | View your posts
Omnifray:- fantasy roleplay in the mysterious Enshrouded Lands, "a thousand worlds in one", where magic bubbles away beneath the surface, beyond the ken of the common folk, with a unique, detailed, highly flexible rules system

Moderator: Omnifray

in the works

Postby Omnifray » 3:43am on 27 Jan 16

After playing a tabletop session on the 16th with a couple of friends, I felt the urge to write a simpler RPG.

I'm taking a break from Soul's Calling while I write it up. I'm on page 69 so far, US Trade-sized (6" x 9"), 12-point Arial font for easy reading, including leaving space for some full-page pictures.

I anticipate it being 120 pages long by the time it's finished, all told, including pictures etc.

Really that's tiny by my standards, bearing in mind it's 12-point font and US Trade size, so maybe the equivalent of a 60 to 80 page A4 book in the sort of font size you'd probably normally expect to see in print.

It's just a quick and dirty system really, with a twist that it takes account of a personal choice between a traditional playstyle and a narrative playstyle, and broadly speaking you can change that choice as you see fit.

It has a single core mechanic, but it uses all the traditional dice, except the d10, which is a bogus dice because it's not a regular polyhedron (!). It also uses something called a "stable d4", which is physically a d4, but works by different rules to other dice. You're always rolling one dice at a time, or at most two dice (d20+d12) if you're very lucky.

I'm writing it very much with one particular friend in mind, a friend who "hates" Soul's Calling.

At the same time some bits of it I've lifted from Soul's Calling and full-fat Omnifray... the sketchy setting details include the Cymraeth, Marrashk, Quotidian and Sassenar languages, and I've been able to write it quickly partly because some of the conundrums I might have grappled with in previous years, I've already explored at length for writing Soul's Calling.

CharGen I'm hoping could be done in 5 minutes by someone who is either vaguely familiar with the system or willing to not think too hard about choices. You roll a d20, you get a stat array (well, two stat arrays in a way), you arrange your stats, make a few more choices, job done.

Character sheets are 1 side of US Letter format (so approx. A4). You scrawl your equipment on the back. I plan on shrinking that to US trade size for the book but making the PDF downloadable as US Letter format.

If anyone wants to playtest it give me a shout. It seems pretty basic to me so I'm hoping people won't have any difficulty running it without seeing me run it first.

Hopefully I'll finish it within the next few weeks.
Looking for playtesters for the Implodarc Tabletop RPG. If you'd like to playtest it and post public feedback or an AP thread, ask me for the private link to download it, or I can e-mail it to you. At least compared to my usual stuff, it's meant to be simple and quick to play with quick CharGen.
Omnifray
Omnifray

Re: in the works

Postby Omnifray » 2:01pm on 02 Feb 16

By way of an update, this project currently stands at 120 pages of solid text (plus 33 blank pages for artwork), almost entirely in 12-point Arial font, in US Trade format (6" x 9"), with rudimentary formatting.

This now includes pretty much the entire rules. The only things outstanding are guidelines for statting up NPCs, a mini-bestiary and an intro for the book.

I haven't yet proof-read it.

So, I have clearly overshot the 120-page estimate I made in the OP, but it remains very slim and a lot simpler than my usual fare, and a complete game, with rules for character advancement and the intervention of the Fates, and incorporating options for individual players to proceed by way of narrative or traditional play as they see fit.

I guess all told it will probably be somewhere around 180 pages long when I have written up the intro, the guidelines for statting NPCs and the mini-bestiary.

Anyway, it's ready for me to run it now, and the whole process has taken less than 3 weeks so far (!).
Looking for playtesters for the Implodarc Tabletop RPG. If you'd like to playtest it and post public feedback or an AP thread, ask me for the private link to download it, or I can e-mail it to you. At least compared to my usual stuff, it's meant to be simple and quick to play with quick CharGen.
Omnifray
Omnifray

Postby Omnifray » 6:20pm on 02 Feb 16

Omnifray wrote:By way of an update, this project currently stands at 120 pages of solid text (plus 33 blank pages for artwork), almost entirely in 12-point Arial font, in US Trade format (6" x 9"), with rudimentary formatting.

This now includes pretty much the entire rules. The only things outstanding are guidelines for statting up NPCs, a mini-bestiary and an intro for the book.

I haven't yet proof-read it.

So, I have clearly overshot the 120-page estimate I made in the OP, but it remains very slim and a lot simpler than my usual fare, and a complete game, with rules for character advancement and the intervention of the Fates, and incorporating options for individual players to proceed by way of narrative or traditional play as they see fit.

I guess all told it will probably be somewhere around 180 pages long when I have written up the intro, the guidelines for statting NPCs and the mini-bestiary.

Anyway, it's ready for me to run it now, and the whole process has taken less than 3 weeks so far (!).

By way of addendum to my update, I've realised I need to include rules on magical artefacts (there are already some rules for magical scrolls and potions), which increases the chance of the book exceeding 180 pages. Most of the pages left to write will be the intro, for which I have some specific plans, I just don't know how much page-count it will take to execute them. I wouldn't be surprised if it hits 200, but then again, I could well keep it to below 180.

Also I've dropped the Quotidian language and included the Hellethian language instead. Basically, the main cultures in the game will be quasi-Ancient Celtic, quasi-Ancient Greek (at the time of the Trojan War, so no Olympic Games, and no institutionalisation of bizarre social relationships transgressing modern mores), quasi-pre-Islamic Arabian and quasi-Saxon. The PCs are quasi-Saxon, which saves a few headaches. However there will be some technological anachronisms, with uneven technological development in the quasi-Saxon areas.

And I've added ways of using a lot more randomisation in CharGen if you wish to, to save you from making laborious decisions. As well as a points-buy system for the munchkins and the masochists :-)
Omnifray
Omnifray

Postby Omnifray » 1:46am on 05 Feb 16

Rules done, 147 pages of game-info, plus 37 blank pages for artwork; last numbered page is 183, then the character sheet (index would go between the two if I get round to that).

Character sheets are formatted in downloadable as well as rulebook versions.

Outstanding:- proof-reading; intro text. Intro text could be a bit rambling but it's not rules as such.

The game has:-

36 "true magic" spells for PCs plus 3 other magical abilities for PCs (one being alchemy)
12 alchemical recipes
additional magic for NPCs
35 stat-blocks in the mini-bestiary (though 3 are just different sexes of dimorphic animals - bear, hawk, owl)

Some stat-blocks take up less space than this post. Injuries inflict stat-penalties. Bonuses to stats are very limited. Mostly it is just one dice plus one stat, maybe with an injury penalty, on each side of the dice-contest. But dice can lead on to other dice.

An attack in combat is basically one roll for you, one roll for your victim, with no separate initiative roll (there are some minor exceptions to this).
Omnifray
Omnifray

Postby Omnifray » 6:35pm on 06 Feb 16

Just finished proof-reading the entire rules content. It's amazing the dumb stuff you find just by reading things through a second time!

Remaining tasks include:-

(1) inserting page references on character sheets
(2) writing a prompter-sheet
(3) writing an intro section
Omnifray
Omnifray

Postby Omnifray » 12:28am on 11 Feb 16

If you are reading this on or before 11th February 2016 you probably know that I finished the first draft PDF at the weekend and have been looking for playtesters.

I have now changed the name of this project to Implodarc, to be more distinctive; also because by "taking the reins" you can cause the "story arc" to implode :-)

Still looking for playtesters if anyone is vaguely interested.
Omnifray
Omnifray

Return to Omnifray