Basic Handbook Errata

FAQ | Search | Register | Login
View unanswered posts | View active topics | View your posts
Omnifray:- fantasy roleplay in the mysterious Enshrouded Lands, "a thousand worlds in one", where magic bubbles away beneath the surface, beyond the ken of the common folk, with a unique, detailed, highly flexible rules system

Basic Handbook Errata

Postby Omnifray » 2:09pm on 12 Mar 09

Damn, I have just realised that the example on page 68 has a typo in it:- a light crossbow optimally crafted for a Strength 7 character would have a Strength (to damage) score of 11 no matter who used it, and a Missile Speed of 15 no matter who used it. The example says Strength to damage of 15, which is a typo (but hopefully an obvious one):- it's the first important typo I've found in the Basic Handbook!!
Looking for playtesters for the Implodarc Tabletop RPG. If you'd like to playtest it and post public feedback or an AP thread, ask me for the private link to download it, or I can e-mail it to you. At least compared to my usual stuff, it's meant to be simple and quick to play with quick CharGen.
Omnifray
Omnifray

Re: Basic Handbook Errata

Postby Omnifray » 2:35pm on 13 Mar 09

Damn, damn, damn! Another error found!

If you are using the penalties for Blindness on page 86 of the Basic Handbook, you don't want to stack those with the penalties on page 88 for dim light or darkness. If a blinded / semi-blinded character is trying to spot / locate an enemy, the way I would handle it is as follows:-

1. When you're looking at the modifiers on the top table on page 88 itself, assume good light.
2. When you're looking at the modifiers on the top table on page 88 itself, disregard light cover, and treat medium or heavy cover as light cover instead.
3. Use distance modifiers from page 88 as normal.
4. Then apply the Blindness penalties from page 86. Remember these get worse at greater distances.

Whatever modifier this gives you, if, after applying the penalties for blindness, it's WORSE than the modifier for a character who is not (semi-) blind, then use this modifier. Otherwise, use the standard modifiers as if the character weren't blind. After all, he can't have a better chance of spotting someone just because he's been blinded...

It's actually quite simple in practice, but if you're not sure precisely how to work it out - the ref should just pick a number which feels right.

One other thing. The True Vision feat (several variants of which appear in the Expert Manual) allows you to see through mists as if your Perception were 12 points higher. The Mists feat creates impenetrable mist which blinds everyone within it. Normally at melee range your Perception would be treated as 6 points lower for most purposes, as it is assumed that you can sense people close to you by other means - hearing them, feeling their body warmth, feeling the movement of the air, smelling them, or even a vague 6th sense if your Perception is very high. The 6-point blindness penalty is more than cancelled out by the True Vision feat and the way I interpret that is that you can actually see pretty well at melee range. For each metre's distance, the penalty increases by 1 point, so beyond 6 metres the mist is starting to interfere with your vision. Obviously this sort of thing has to be interpreted by the referee in a way which fits the particular circumstances, but I hope that helps!
Looking for playtesters for the Implodarc Tabletop RPG. If you'd like to playtest it and post public feedback or an AP thread, ask me for the private link to download it, or I can e-mail it to you. At least compared to my usual stuff, it's meant to be simple and quick to play with quick CharGen.
Omnifray
Omnifray

Re: Basic Handbook Errata

Postby Omnifray » 8:19pm on 31 Mar 09

Rule:-

If you have a thrusting weapon with sufficient reach to get an immediate attack when your foe moves incautiously (charges) into melee with you, you can get that advantage only if

[PREVIOUS RULE:-] your previous or current action was to set your weapon to receive a charge AND time has passed since your last such immediate attack (if you have already made one) which is at least equal to a full action of yours (Basic Handbook page 57) [/PREVIOUS RULE]

[REPLACEMENT RULE:-] your previous (immediately preceding) full action was to set your weapon to receive a charge (from the same general direction), and your current action could still be or is to set your weapon to receive the charge --- the referee can allow a looser application of this rule in an appropriate case [/REPLACEMENT RULE]

For commentary see the Improvised Rules for Combat thread, where this rules-change was originally posted.

Rule:-

If you have a thrusting weapon with sufficient reach to get an immediate attack when your foe moves into melee with you while you are moving incautiously (charging) towards him, you can get that advantage only if

[PREVIOUS RULE:-] your previous or current action is/was to charge (Basic Handbook page 57) [/PREVIOUS RULE]

[REPLACEMENT RULE:-] your previous (immediately preceding) full action was to charge (in the same general direction), and your current full action could be or is to continue charging into melee --- the referee can allow a looser application of this rule in an appropriate case [/REPLACEMENT RULE]

Omnifray
Omnifray

Return to Omnifray