Omnifray Lite Development Blog

FAQ | Search | Register | Login
View unanswered posts | View active topics | View your posts
Omnifray:- fantasy roleplay in the mysterious Enshrouded Lands, "a thousand worlds in one", where magic bubbles away beneath the surface, beyond the ken of the common folk, with a unique, detailed, highly flexible rules system

Re: Omnifray Lite Development Blog

Postby Omnifray » 11:37pm on 06 Oct 09

Kaiserjez wrote:
Omnifray wrote:
The character sheets are beautiful.

Lets see one then!

I've not bought games before after looking at the insanely long character sheets. How many A4 pages is it for a Omnifray Lite character sheet?

Your interest is much appreciated but you might have to wait until Indiecon, these babies are under wraps at the moment! :-)

One single side of A4 paper for a character sheet for Omnifray Lite, unless you are a spellcaster in which case the reverse side lists your magical arts, favoured spells, casting level etc.

A modest proportion of the single side character sheet is taken up with basic rules prompters, so really it's only about 80% to 85% of a single side of A4 for the actual character info. And it's nicely shaded and boxed and stuff too!
Looking for playtesters for the Implodarc Tabletop RPG. If you'd like to playtest it and post public feedback or an AP thread, ask me for the private link to download it, or I can e-mail it to you. At least compared to my usual stuff, it's meant to be simple and quick to play with quick CharGen.
Omnifray
Omnifray

Postby Omnifray » 12:05am on 07 Oct 09

06 October 09

WIN!

I have just returned from Playtest Number 4. This was the first Omnifray Lite playtest for the North Shields Boyz, the two Andies. I made a very conscious decision that I wanted to see how they would handle character generation "out of the book".

They were very nice and simply let me give them the manuscript, open it at Chapter 1 and say:- make yourselves some characters. No introduction, nothing, just handed them the book and let them get on with it.

I didn't leave the room or zip my mouth shut completely. In fairness to them they were doing me a favour and going through CharGen so it would have been rude of me to absolutely refuse to get involved if they had any questions. But 95%+ I just let them get on with it. They got through choosing main stats without help. They stumbled a bit over where to write "social status" on the character sheet (nowhere... it's just an element in deciding your background... I will try to make that clearer in the book), and they disagreed over the precise way to write Defence stats in on the character sheet, but one of them got that bit right without help and all I had to do was say "read it again" and "yeah, that's right".

They started CharGen at about 7:20 and by about 8:10 they had two fully rolled-up characters, kitted out with equipment, armour/weapon stats, background/description, miscellaneous capabilities, tendencies, the lot!

Now 50 minutes might sound like a pretty long time compared to some games (one of them commented it seemed a bit time-consuming), but for their complete first time, with just the book and virtually no help from me, I don't think that's too bad at all. Many popular commercial roleplaying games can take longer than that even when you know the rules; people spend whole evenings on CharGen, which I think is over the top.

After character generation, I explained the basics of the rules and the combat system and gave them the combat stances stuff to read for themselves. After that we set the scene and pretty quickly launched into a full-on hack-n-slash combat scenario, two slightly-above-average humans in cuir bouilli with two weapons each against a horde of physically powerful but unarmed corpse-things with claws. Oops just realised I statted the corpses pretty flimsy on the Defence side for dark mindless undead horrors, I was supposed to give them an extra +4 for being dark mindless undead horrors, not to worry, that's trivial. The PCs cut through the ten horrors and surveyed the scene. Their horse wasn't very happy.

Combat is easily quick enough for my tastes, maybe too slow for some people, maybe too lite for others. But this was quite a big fight (2 vs. 10) and would have taken a while in any half-detailed system. One PC got through 3 luck tokens; the other used up one.

They didn't take to combat stances the way my other playtest group have, but then again I didn't give them more than 5 minutes to absorb the info on combat stances, which isn't really enough. Anyway combat stances are virtually an optional feature of the game. They both very predictably chose "party-constructive" player stance, not my personal favourite but it's a very cooperative group.

We had time for them to get a Booster Point award (55 each, of which 17 for going to the trouble of doing CharGen without help), and one of them with my permission overspent by 5, raising his main combat stats by 1 point each.

Hopefully there might be time for a follow-up playtest with them next week.

Conclusion:- I think if they can cope with CharGen straight out of the book in less than an hour as complete newbies, that's near enough to pick-up-n-play for my tastes. Very pleased with that. Comments were along the lines that the game was a lot simpler than full-fat Omnifray ("You don't feel as if you need a degree to understand it"...) though I think they still thought some bits were intricate. They didn't get the double roll mechanic as quickly as my other group, but then again I didn't really explain it at first (just showed them the prompters on the character sheet and gabbled through it) and yes that can lead to confusion. But when I explained it more carefully they did get it, and started giving me their different takes on why I should have included a "critical fumble" on the double roll (which I won't). One of them didn't like there being an A4 page for each combat stance but the other playtest group have had no problem with that - the combat stances thing is fundamentally an uncomplicated system and adds a great tactical element for no real pain, without complicating CharGen, and you don't need to use it if you don't want to. Overall though the real feeling of "mission accomplished" (or at least 75% of the way there) comes from the fact that they got through CharGen almost entirely on their own in reasonably quick time and would I think have managed without difficulty without me being there at all though it might have taken a little bit longer or they might have been a bit less certain that they had got it right when in fact they had.

So, overall, I think from my point of view at looking at it in terms of the big picture, this qualifies as a WIN!
Looking for playtesters for the Implodarc Tabletop RPG. If you'd like to playtest it and post public feedback or an AP thread, ask me for the private link to download it, or I can e-mail it to you. At least compared to my usual stuff, it's meant to be simple and quick to play with quick CharGen.
Omnifray
Omnifray

Postby Kaiserjez » 7:53am on 07 Oct 09

Omnifray wrote:
A modest proportion of the single side character sheet is taken up with basic rules prompters, so really it's only about 80% to 85% of a single side of A4 for the actual character info.

This sounds promising :D
"And, when the doctor said I didn't have worms any more, that was the happiest day of my life."
Pompey Crew Achievements; Arse Like A Japanese Flag, Harry Redknapp'd, Pompey Social, Crash At Mick's, Spend a Penny, Safety in Numbers, Pass The Arse Gravy, The Jonny Gray's Brother Maneuver, Make Mine A Guinness, The Third Troll, Broken!, Gash Tats, Hello Sailor, Informed judgement, Dedication's what you need, The Fly, It's not trolling if..., Thundercats! Ho!
"Jez has champagne pockets and lemonade eyes." -Indie Pete
Kaiserjez
Jonny Gray's Brother
Playing: Nothing
Running: Nothing
Planning: Loads of stuff that I will never finish

Postby Mick Red » 5:04pm on 07 Oct 09

I would agree 50 mins is far to long for character gen. However at indiecon i know you will go armed with pre-gens
Mick Red
Gibbering Mouther
Playing: Esoterrorists
Running: Into the Odd
Planning: Yoon-Suin

Postby Omnifray » 6:37pm on 07 Oct 09

Mick Red wrote:I would agree 50 mins is far to long for character gen. However at indiecon i know you will go armed with pre-gens

I will. But I was thinking of having an Omnifray Lite CharGen run-through at some point as a mini extra.

It might have taken them 45 minutes. I think I can take people through the process in about 35 minutes explaining it properly, or 20 without explaining everything, and probably gen a character in 10 to 15 minutes myself. But that's kind of guesswork really.
Omnifray
Omnifray

Postby Mick Red » 8:58pm on 07 Oct 09

not sure people will write off a 1/4 of a gaming slot genning a character.....if i were you i would have a dozen characters so each player can pick thier archtype and start gaming
Mick Red
Gibbering Mouther

Postby Omnifray » 9:42pm on 07 Oct 09

Mick Red wrote:not sure people will write off a 1/4 of a gaming slot genning a character.....if i were you i would have a dozen characters so each player can pick thier archtype and start gaming

I will have a dozen character sheets no problem.

But which of these options would you go for as an additional extra:-

1. as well as running games with pregens, offer a short CharGen intro on the Thurs eve

2. as well as running games with pregens, run ONE game with CharGen for anyone who's interested

3. other

4. none of the above
Omnifray
Omnifray

Postby Mick Red » 10:37pm on 07 Oct 09

I would choose option 2
Mick Red
Gibbering Mouther

Postby Kaiserjez » 12:31pm on 08 Oct 09

Run it in a morning slot and let anyone who wants to do character gen come round to your chalet and do it before the game starts, otherwise use pre gens.
"And, when the doctor said I didn't have worms any more, that was the happiest day of my life."
Pompey Crew Achievements; Arse Like A Japanese Flag, Harry Redknapp'd, Pompey Social, Crash At Mick's, Spend a Penny, Safety in Numbers, Pass The Arse Gravy, The Jonny Gray's Brother Maneuver, Make Mine A Guinness, The Third Troll, Broken!, Gash Tats, Hello Sailor, Informed judgement, Dedication's what you need, The Fly, It's not trolling if..., Thundercats! Ho!
Kaiserjez
Jonny Gray's Brother

Postby Omnifray » 4:35pm on 08 Oct 09

Kaiserjez wrote:Run it in a morning slot and let anyone who wants to do character gen come round to your chalet and do it before the game starts, otherwise use pre gens.

That's a great idea; unfortunately, however, I am truly horrible in the mornings.

Mick is probably still traumatised by the memory of waiting for me to show up something like 7 minutes late on the first morning of Indiecon 2008 to run full-fat Omnifray. The thought of me doing CharGen at 8:15am ... has an air of unreality about it.

I think I will offer CharGen on Thursday evening and offer it as an elective for one of the sessions I potentially run during the Con.
Omnifray
Omnifray

Postby Kaiserjez » 4:47pm on 08 Oct 09

Running an entire slot where people can just drop in and gen a character - with the option of playing it in another slot could work. I suppose it could show you just how robust the system is to some of the weird builds people might come up with.

Either that or post the character gen rules up on t'interweb and see what people do with them?
Kaiserjez
Jonny Gray's Brother

Postby Mick Red » 7:06pm on 08 Oct 09

I stand by my comment that people wont give up a slot to gen chars, in fact at an indie games con i doubt people give a toss about genning chars
Mick Red
Gibbering Mouther

Postby Omnifray » 12:31pm on 09 Oct 09

Will think it over.
Omnifray
Omnifray

Postby Omnifray » 11:59pm on 11 Oct 09

11 October 2009

Book interior finished (210 pages interior of which 190 for main text). Just awaiting cover now.

Includes 2-page index.

Looking good!
Omnifray
Omnifray

Postby Omnifray » 11:11am on 12 Oct 09

12 October 09

Book done and on order!

Public release expected to follow hot on the heels of Indiecon.

I hope to have enough copies to give free copies to Indiecon playtesters.
Omnifray
Omnifray

PreviousNext

Return to Omnifray