play by post, how it works?

FAQ | Search | Register | Login
View unanswered posts | View active topics | View your posts
An out of character area for the Play by Message Board (PbMB) games. Here you can request your own game forum or just chat about the games.

play by post, how it works?

Postby richardcdowen » 3:10pm on 16 Jul 13

this might be obvious any of you in this forum but how does a play by post game work? could anyone give me a run down of how it works? im interested in getting involved in a play by post game and want some idea of how it works.
richardcdowen
2nd-level
Playing: 5e
Planning: castles & crusades

Re: play by post, how it works?

Postby wraithben » 9:04pm on 16 Jul 13

Generally it depends on the game - the best thing would be to check out some of the threads below - there's two Duty and Honour/Beat to Quarters based ones (one star wars themed) that would give good idea of how some games are done.

As a basic guideline Play by Post is done on a forum - the GM posts what is happening and each player posst what they will do - as a rule the rolling of dice/playing of cards etc is then done by the GM and they post the results.
wraithben has received thanks from the following for this post:
richardcdowen
wraithben
14th-level
Playing: Depressingly little
Running: The One Ring - online
Planning: The House - Structure tabletop freeform Horror game

Postby richardcdowen » 1:17pm on 17 Jul 13

ok cool

but whats the time frame between posts; are people on the forum at set times or is it just post whenever sort of set up?
richardcdowen
2nd-level
Playing: 5e
Planning: castles & crusades

Postby wraithben » 4:32pm on 17 Jul 13

That's normally set up as you set the game up - if you're going for all available at the same time then you might be better off playing live over G+ hangouts or something The normal expectation (from games I've played) would be to check the forums once/twice a day and post when it's your turn. Personally I try to check at least in the morning and evening.
wraithben has received thanks from the following for this post:
richardcdowen
wraithben
14th-level
Playing: Depressingly little
Running: The One Ring - online
Planning: The House - Structure tabletop freeform Horror game

Postby 3Jane » 10:31am on 18 Jul 13

In my (limited) experience, the primary thing you want to watch out for is the expected minimum posting rate.

Random bits and pieces:

- There may be some expected genre/conventions including posting style (example: 3rd person or 1st person).
- RP style tends to be different, because you need to post a fair chunk of action, description and dialogue on your own; it can be closer to storytelling and scene description than normal RP.
- Interacting with other characters is hard; either you and the person you're talking to post very very often, or you need to assume they say something and post an exchange between the characters, responding "as if".
- You can be out-posted. That is, if your posting rate is once per day, and everyone else can post several times per day, the action will move on without you.
- I suspect you may need to have a stronger character concept than in normal RP.
- It's easy to loose your drive after, say, a month or two, when the story hasn't moved on as much as it would have in normal RP and life situation suddenly changes and eats up your free time. People drop out.

And finally, it's really worth it to read a couple of different PbP threads because there are different styles and it's quite educational :)
3Jane has received thanks from the following for this post:
richardcdowen
3Jane
9th-level

Postby Neil Gow » 12:45pm on 18 Jul 13

How does it work?

Well, if the failure rate of games on this site is anything to go by, it doesn't. :lol:

Playing in a PbP game is, in my opinion, quite different from the normal RP stuff you will do around a table. The main difference is the time dilation - it can take days to play out one scene that would take minutes at a table, especially if you and the other person do not share time zones! A PbP game might encompass in a few months what could be done in a session around a table.

However, it has some very strong advantages. No time restrictions, no location restrictions and if you make the effort, you can probably create a more thorough canvas for the game through images, NPCs, descriptions etc.

The very best PbP I have ever taken part in is running at the moment - http://southronambitions.com/index.php

Have a gander at that bad boy and see how much work 'Stranger' has put into creating a truly immersive experience. It is mind-boggling and I shudder to think how much time has been dedicated to it. Each day takes a week and has specific challenges and events that can be entered, that all have complex interactions.

It is very very good indeed
Omnihedron Games - Publisher of Duty & Honour and Beat to Quarters
Keep up-to-date with Omnihedron on Facebook or Google+
ZackSpacks - "I get highly amused by Neil Gow’s constant slagging of Call of Cthulhu"
Jonny Gray - "Ron Edwards is no way as passionate as The Gow"
Nick Reynolds - "Suffice to say no Gon was left Un-zoed in this tour-de-force of Gow cod-British tourism-tat-driven madness."
Neil Gow has received thanks from the following for this post:
richardcdowen
Neil Gow
Gow Bear
Playing: Dresden Files Accelerated
Running: Monsterhearts 2, Symbaroum
Planning: Unliving, Dead of Night

Return to The Welcome Inn...