Furance XII

FAQ | Search | Register | Login
View unanswered posts | View active topics | View your posts
Furnace is an annual roleplaying convention in Sheffield, around October, which is held in a converted gaol.

Moderator: ElaineM

Furance XII

Postby Evilgaz » 2:07pm on 10 Oct 17

It’s that most wonderful time of the year. Another Furnace, and it’s in double figures, so feels like it’s been around forever. I don’t recommend any other people of around my advanced age go and look at the photo group as the years have not been kind to me (it seems!).

Free beer, a new room I’ve not tried yet (I’ve got a bingo card and am close to shouting House), and the usual Friday night icebreaker in the bar. The pie was good as always, and the special Furnace beer was tasty. Some attendees got a little bit worse for wear, but the plus side is, the younger folk in the bar had an endless supply of people offering life advice. Good to see that us seasoned gamers can pass on our wisdom to a new generation. There was a weird bit when someone from the wedding party came up to threaten Pete and myself due to something to do with his girlfriend (apparently), but happily his friends took him away again while we looked on bemused.

Breakfast the next morning looked like a casting session for The Walking Dead in some quarters... :)

Slot 1 Cypher Cyberpunk with Lemur (Pete Atkinson)
NeoTokyo is a great level on Timesplitters 2, but if you never played that game it won’t mean much – think of Bladerunner type setting, but make it a bit more pulpy. Good sesh, although we missed a player due to the Great Plague, but the four of us happily Ocean 11’d our way through the dystopian future. I’m liking Cypher at conventions, although it needs a couple of tweaks and custom character sheets for prime convention-session consumability, it does the job nicely.

Slot 2 Legend of the Five Rings (me)
A dispute between Lion and Crane lands and the threat of war had our magistrate’s assistants trying to solve a murder and fight off incursions of the Shadowlands agents. I could have read up a bit more on rules in hindsight, as I spent more time flicking through books than I normally do, but I think overall it was a decent session. The Garrison armoury is pretty noisy, even with just two games in it, but on the plus side there was an A0 flipchart so I could do a big map of the lands the characters were exploring. A few of is chatted about the new Beta rules from FFG – but the jury is still out on the new system.

Slot 3 Star Wars Edge of Empire (Graham Spearing)
Graham had gone to town with the massive glossy maps, sound effects and miniatures. We had plenty of sets of dice around the table, and although initially confusing, the symbols started to make sense throughout the session and we were all on board with what threats and so forth were. Decent session with the gang, through a published scenario, there was a bit of everything in there to get a flavour of the game. I think the system is fine, although I’m not sure I want to get involved for the sake of it – there’s no problems with it – but I could do something as easily with Cypher, Savage or Fate for my preference. Still, glad I tried and Graham did a good job of showing things off.

Slot 4 Tales From the Loop (me)
Quiet start to the Sunday morning session, we took a little time to ask some questions of characters before getting into the meat of the game. Pretty quickly everyone was into character and some of the relationships in the game started to show through. Adults were suitably unhelpful and distant, while the kids found things to do with their lives from dog grooming to preventing inter-dimensional plots. Great set of players and I’m still loving this implementation of the rules.

Slot 5 Mouseguard (Guy Milner)
I do love me some Mouseguard. Can’t say why, my usual grimdark preferences and so forth lead many people to question this fetish, but the art is great, the idea of the world just works, and a streamlined Burning Wheel engine scratches my gamer itch. It was a bit of a short session, which was a shame, I’d like to see this run in one of the central slots of the con, where it can get a good few hours and several GM / Player turns. Another good session though, despite its brevity, we need to recruit more MG GMs…

Another hugely successful Furnace, they’re always good and always all about the games. I even won something in the raffle! Although there was nothing there I didn’t already have, I picked up a prize I knew a fellow Furnaceer was talking about purchasing so I could save them a few bob.

Thanks and congratulation to Graham, Elaine and Dom, plus all the generous GMs (especially those stepping in to replace those taken down by plague) and players who make it great. Lovely to see some new people on their first visit too, and some first time convention GMs!

Good people, good games. What more could you want?
Evilgaz has received thanks from the following for this post:
Dom, dr_mitch, j0rdi, negromaestro, Newt, Pebsie, ragr, satbunny, simonpaulburley, The Crypt Keeper
Evilgaz
Evil Alien Overlord
Playing: Iron Kingdoms
Running: Savage Worlds, Hot War
Planning: Deadlands, Lot5R

Re: Furance XII

Postby negromaestro » 10:20am on 11 Oct 17

Evilgaz wrote:...
Slot 3 Star Wars Edge of Empire (Graham Spearing)
Graham had gone to town with the massive glossy maps, sound effects and miniatures. We had plenty of sets of dice around the table, and although initially confusing, the symbols started to make sense throughout the session and we were all on board with what threats and so forth were. Decent session with the gang, through a published scenario, there was a bit of everything in there to get a flavour of the game. I think the system is fine, although I’m not sure I want to get involved for the sake of it – there’s no problems with it – but I could do something as easily with Cypher, Savage or Fate for my preference. Still, glad I tried and Graham did a good job of showing things off.

Age of Rebellion was the particular Fantasy Flight Games Star Wars variant at the table. Though the ruleset is the same with Edge of the Empire, apart from minor tweaks like Duty in AoR vs Obligation in EoTE.

I enjoyed hearing the welcome sounds of "pew pew...pew pew" even though I was at a table "far far away" and probably a "long time ago" since I was adventuring in Saxon Britain with the good Doctor.
Attachments
graham_spearing_star_wars_at_furnace_2017.jpg
graham_spearing_star_wars_at_furnace_2017.jpg (34.04 KiB) Viewed 220 times
Running 2d20 games before they turned cool
negromaestro has received thanks from the following for this post:
Darran, Dom, First Age, satbunny
negromaestro
9th-level
Playing: Warhammer 40K Dark Heresy
Running: Conan, Coriolis, Star Wars
Planning: Star Trek, Starfinder

Return to Furnace