Crimson Exdous 2nd Ed Kickstarter

FAQ | Search | Register | Login
View unanswered posts | View active topics | View your posts
Publisher of the Crimson Exodus sword & sorcery style roleplaying game, the stand alone wound encyclopedia Trauma, and the Fantasy Dice game system known for fast and simple game mechanics with lots of tactical depth.

Crimson Exdous 2nd Ed Kickstarter

Postby Claus » 3:01pm on 11 May 13

Ok, I've decided to experiment with kickstarter for the second edition of Crimson Exodus in the hope of putting together enough money to get a new cover and justify doing some printed copies. Check it out, spread the word and I'm open to all and any ideas and suggestions from ye good folk.

http://www.RadicalApproach.co.uk - Crimson Exodus and Trauma
Claus
Radical Approach
Running: Edge of The Empire
Planning: Too many games at once!

Re: Crimson Exdous 2nd Ed Kickstarter

Postby Omnifray » 9:48pm on 16 May 13

Good luck with this one Claus!

I've not forgotten the fun I had at the TurboDice game you GM'd last Indiecon:- http://www.ukroleplayers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=14190#p152634

Can you tell us a bit about how the mechanics have changed?
Looking for playtesters for the Implodarc Tabletop RPG. If you'd like to playtest it and post public feedback or an AP thread, ask me for the private link to download it, or I can e-mail it to you. At least compared to my usual stuff, it's meant to be simple and quick to play with quick CharGen.
Omnifray has received thanks from the following for this post:
Claus
Omnifray
Omnifray

Postby Claus » 8:47pm on 21 May 13

Thanks Matt, I read your play report and was very happy that you enjoyed it so much.

The second edition of Crimson Exodus integrates all the Fantasy Dice rule changes that have taken place since the first edition was released and will be familiar to readers of the Fantasy Dice book, but Crimson Exodus has ten detailed cultures and detailed chapters on herbs and alchemy as well as stats for plenty of NPCs, beasts and monsters for the Crimson Exodus setting. While the setting itself remains the same the chapter order, fonts and layout has been improved upon - and I've commissioned some new artwork.

I won't try to list everything that has changed as pretty much all the rules chapters have been heavily revised or rewritten, but I'll highlight a few things. Note that this new version still plays much the same way as the first edition and the core part of the rules remains the same. I assume some familiarity with the first edition in this list, but I'm happy to answer any questions and elaborate.

1. The skill list has been slightly pruned – most importantly Perception is gone as a skill in favour of using the Sight attribute when notice rolls are needed and the emphasis is more on the skill of the person actively hiding, sneaking or setting traps. In the same fashion your sixth-sense is now entangled with the attribute for the associated type of magic.
  2. The character creation process has been made faster and simpler, but is still as flexible as in the first edition to create your unique character.
  3. There are two new paths Way of the Heretic and Way of the Loremaster as in the first edition all the lore oriented paths focused on the arcane arts. All the existing paths have also had an overhaul to make sure the paths and their abilities are interesting and works with the new rules.
  4. There are now explicit rules for how to use triggers with or without your characteristics and aspirations, and the triggers themselves have been re-written clearer and more concise based on how they tend to be used in play.
  5. Learned skills no longer start at D4, but at D6 so that D4 is now the default for an untrained skill when such a skill roll is deemed plausible. D4 skills were just too weak to be much use and it as you need to learn a speciality anyway before you can improve the die rating it is a lot more elegant this way.
  6. Combat tactics have been overhauled and the consequences of wounds have been modified so that now you only get a -1D penalty from a grievous wound and a -2D penalty for a grim wound. This works out elegantly because now stun is a more important effect in combat being the only immediate result of a nasty wound. It also means that a combatant is not crippled by a nasty wound, and may even continue the fight with a grievous wound (albeit at a big disadvantage while stunned).
  7. The trauma chapter has been completely rewritten and post trauma is now much faster and easier to resolve for the player characters after battle. It is still a serious matter, but with bleeding, broken bones and so on all being determined based on some fairly simple and quick rules without any need for further dice rolling. Mundane healing has also been made a bit more effective to make it possible for a skilled healer to significantly reduce recovery times even without the use of arcane arts.
  8. Blunder and perfect rolls are included by popular demand and introduce a new element of excitement, but is not something that will happen very often or have too dramatic an effect on the result. You can also influence the risk by the use of scaling as having fewer dice will increase the chance of a blunder.

There are other little things, such as the attribute rolls reduced from D8 to D10 to bring them in line with skills and difficulties, and generally lots of changes throughout the book that makes it a better read and in my opinion more fun to play.
Claus has received thanks from the following for this post:
Omnifray
Claus
Radical Approach

Postby Omnifray » 3:04pm on 24 May 13

Sounds kind of like the main thing is a general overall refinement of the system, after having more experience with and feedback on the system, to make it smoother and to target the kind of experience of play that you were aiming for?

Can you tell us a bit more about the Way of the Heretic and the Way of the Loremaster and how they impact on the game?
Looking for playtesters for the Implodarc Tabletop RPG. If you'd like to playtest it and post public feedback or an AP thread, ask me for the private link to download it, or I can e-mail it to you. At least compared to my usual stuff, it's meant to be simple and quick to play with quick CharGen.
Omnifray
Omnifray

Postby Claus » 8:04am on 26 May 13

Yes, and also to give players what they want. Like the fumle and perfect rolls which I initially felt were unnecessary with the scaling mechanic, but which a lot of players really wanted and I now think does add something to the game.

As with all paths the idea is to give the players unique abilities that gives them an edge. For the hermit this means a wide range of abilities from survival, hunting and herbalism to abilities as a mystic, healer, crafter and even some combat abilties. The loremaster path is for the scholar and thinker, with abilities that boosts the character's academic and problem solving abilities, but can also help to make him a polyglot, master alchemist or surgical virtuoso among other things.

Below is the flavour text for each path.

Way of the Hermit
Withdrawn and solitary, those that walk the path of the hermit have often given up on people and may have chosen their solitude, but others were forced to live on their own as outcasts, exiles or even fugitives. Regardless, the hermit is capable, self sufficient and a survivor. Winning the trust of a hermit is never easy, but there is seldom a truer friend when you truly need one.

Way of the Loremaster
With an unrivalled thirst for learning, and dedication to books and languages surpassed by none, those scholars and learned men who walk the path of the loremaster have given their lives over almost entirely to the accumulation and understanding of knowledge. The loremaster is rarely without her books, and delights in deciphering archaic scripts in forbidden libraries, uncovering and documenting buried secrets, and above all in learning
Claus
Radical Approach

Postby Jaracove » 8:16pm on 27 May 13

What if the target isn't met? I don't mean in relation to the backers' pledges (I know they get their money refunded), I mean in relation to the actual book itself?

I assume there'll be no hardcopy, only the pdf version, or does the hardcopy have another less stellar cover than the one hoped for?

Thanks
Jaracove
3rd-level

Postby Claus » 11:35am on 28 May 13

I'm doing a Q&A tonight at 6pm GMT (7pm UK time) at the irc channel #rpgnet with Dan Davenport hosting. If you fancy joing #rpgnet chat use http://tinyurl.com/belh2wq.

@Jaracove: If the target isn't met I will explore all other options, but most likely Crimson Exodus will be released later in the year as a PDF with the same cover as the first edition.
Claus
Radical Approach

Postby Claus » 7:59pm on 03 Jun 13

Claus
Radical Approach

Postby Jaracove » 10:40pm on 03 Jun 13

I read the Q&A and it was very interesting, thanks for taking the time out to do that

I hope the Kickstarter does well, unfortunately, I'm on a bit of a Fantasy Dice trip right now, and I'm looking for a setting that's more medieval/feudal. I see CE2 is more sword and sorcery, for example, there are no horses. I might pledge though, but I'm all for Fantasy Dice right now
Jaracove
3rd-level

Return to Radical Approach