Some Questions

FAQ | Search | Register | Login
View unanswered posts | View active topics | View your posts
Publisher of the Crimson Exodus sword & sorcery style roleplaying game, the stand alone wound encyclopedia Trauma, and the Fantasy Dice game system known for fast and simple game mechanics with lots of tactical depth.

Some Questions

Postby Jaracove » 10:21pm on 27 May 13

Hello

Just found Fantasy Dice and so far I think it's great. I've a few questions though

Is there an errata listing? I think I found one on Page 21, and it's to do with pairing attributes. It seems that Demon is Demon paired but should be Spirit paired? Also, same page same thing, Spirit is paired with Spirit but should be Demon paired?

Also, on Page 26, last paragraph last sentence is says: "So to learn a new skill at D8 would cost 6 + 8 experience points – 14 in total – plus the cost for specialities"

Is this worded incorrectly? Should that be "So to learn a new skill at D8 would cost 8 (for the first speciality) + 6 (for bumping the d4 to d6) + 8 (for bumping the d6 to a d8) - 22 in total?

Some questions

Page 24: Replacing Skills
Basically, it's saying, upgrade one skill to the next higher dice type, then replace the old skill with a new skill at the old skill's score?

What's the reason for this rule?

House Rules
I've got a d14 and a d16 at home, I was wondering if it would be possible to increase the skill dice to these values? In doing so, I could also raise the Difficulties from 12, up to 14 and 16. Reason for these two house rules is to give the players more character growth skill wise.

Also, I'd like to restrict the attribute increases to being improved up to three times their racial rating instead of just the twice

I'm also gong to cap starting skill dice at d10, again to allow characters to grow more into their abilities.

What do you think?
Jaracove
3rd-level

Re: Some Questions

Postby Claus » 12:22pm on 28 May 13

There is no errata (yet), but you are right about the mistake about what Demon and Spirit is paired with. Thanks for pointing it out and it is pretty impressive that nobody has noticed this until now.

The reason it is phrased the way it is on page 26 is that you could potentially learn several specialities before you upgraded the die of the skill, but with one speciality you are right that the cost would be 8 (speciality) + 6 (D6) + 8 (D8) = 22 experience points.

Page 24: Replacing Skills
It is not saying next higher die type, but "upgrade a skill that is already known to one with a higher die rating". As you know, during character creation you get a few skills based on your people, occupation and a skill package of starting skills and then a choice of a generalist or professional package (or middle ground). So if you as an Orc got Melee D6, but wanted to be awesome at fighting then you might want to take Melee D10 as your occupation and in doing so you would be able to choose another skill at D6 to replace the Melee skill you just upgraded - for example Dominate D6.

Yep, using d14 and d16 would not be a problem at all and would certainly allow for more epic and legendary characters, as well as scaling even higher. Dragons will love this rule. :)

It is your game, so feel free to be more flexible with attribute improvement. There will be more dice in your pools (typically in FD you roll 2-4 dice, but bonuses and scaling affects this of course), but if you are cool with that then why not.

I also considered capping starting skills at d10 at one time, but then I thought that if a player really, really wants to be epic in a skill then let them have one skill at d12. They will after all have to spend all their customisation points on that one skill and therefore can't improve attributes or wealth (less awesome weapons will be available for example), and I believe in giving players what they want as long as they are willing to make sacrifices for it. Still, I don't see any problem with capping the skills at d10 during character creation as it will have no impact for most players.

Thanks for sharing your tweaks and good luck with your game.
http://www.RadicalApproach.co.uk - Crimson Exodus and Trauma
Claus
Radical Approach
Running: Edge of The Empire
Planning: Too many games at once!

Postby Jaracove » 12:37pm on 28 May 13

Thanks for the reply

It's reassuring to know the designer thinks the tweaks aren't going to break the game in any way
Jaracove
3rd-level

Postby Jaracove » 1:52pm on 28 May 13

Possible errata?

Page 34: "Melee (daggers) 2D8 a dagger's attack would be 3D8, while for parry you would have 1D8 due to the -2D parry penalty for daggers"

Isn't 2d8 - 2d a 3d6 or is the -2d taken off the 3d8?
Jaracove
3rd-level

Postby Claus » 3:34pm on 28 May 13

Jaracove wrote:Possible errata?

Page 34: "Melee (daggers) 2D8 a dagger's attack would be 3D8, while for parry you would have 1D8 due to the -2D parry penalty for daggers"

Isn't 2d8 - 2d a 3d6 or is the -2d taken off the 3d8?

You get a bonus die because of the speciality "daggers" when using daggers, hence why the attack is 3D8. If you would use a spear, which has a -1D parry penalty, then the attack would be 2D8 and the parry would be 1D8.

PS! In the case of 2D8 - 2D it would need to be scaled down until you have enough dice to "pay the penalty", so 3D6 - 2D = 1D6.
Claus
Radical Approach

Postby Jaracove » 4:14pm on 28 May 13

Claus wrote:You get a bonus die because of the speciality "daggers" when using daggers, hence why the attack is 3D8. If you would use a spear, which has a -1D parry penalty, then the attack would be 2D8 and the parry would be 1D8.

Ok, I understand that part, you are simply reducing the total dice by the modifier. So a 4d8 becomes a 3d8 with a -1D or a 2d8 with a -2d.

Claus wrote:PS! In the case of 2D8 - 2D it would need to be scaled down until you have enough dice to "pay the penalty", so 3D6 - 2D = 1D6.

I don't get this part

Again though, I understand how 3d6 -2d equals 1d6, but are you saying 2d8 -2d equals 1d6?
Jaracove
3rd-level

Postby Claus » 4:47pm on 28 May 13

Jaracove wrote:Again though, I understand how 3d6 -2d equals 1d6, but are you saying 2d8 -2d equals 1d6?

You need to read the scaling rules - "Scale" on page 93 of the Rolls and Rules chapter (there should really be a reference to that in the character creation chapter).

Basically, you can scale a roll up by removing one die for each step. So a skill of 2D8 could be scaled up to 1D10. Alternatively, a roll can be scaled down adding a die for each step. So 2D8 could be scaled down to 3D6 or 4D4.

This ability to scale rolls add a lot of tactical flexibility as players can scale up and risk rolling fewer dice for a chance at greater success, or scale down for a safer roll but with a lower maximum result possible.
Claus
Radical Approach

Postby Jaracove » 5:47pm on 28 May 13

Claus wrote:
Jaracove wrote:Again though, I understand how 3d6 -2d equals 1d6, but are you saying 2d8 -2d equals 1d6?

You need to read the scaling rules - "Scale" on page 93 of the Rolls and Rules chapter (there should really be a reference to that in the character creation chapter).

Basically, you can scale a roll up by removing one die for each step. So a skill of 2D8 could be scaled up to 1D10. Alternatively, a roll can be scaled down adding a die for each step. So 2D8 could be scaled down to 3D6 or 4D4.

This ability to scale rolls add a lot of tactical flexibility as players can scale up and risk rolling fewer dice for a chance at greater success, or scale down for a safer roll but with a lower maximum result possible.

Oh I understand that part :)

2d10
3d8
4d6
5d4

(I think it's a brilliant rule as well!)

I just don't understand this part: “In the case of 2D8 - 2D it would need to be scaled down until you have enough dice to "pay the penalty", so 3D6 - 2D = 1D6

I was referring to 2d8 -2d so I’m not sure where you got the 3d6 – 2d = 1d6 from

I thought 2d8 -2d would be

2d8 -1d = 1d8

1d8 -1d = 2d6
Jaracove
3rd-level

Postby Claus » 7:04pm on 28 May 13

Ah, no it is not the penalty which scales causes it to scale down, but rather you need to scale down until you can pay the penalty.

Dice penalties (and bonuses) do not depend on dice type. So if you have 3D8 or 3D10 a -2D penalty would in both cases leave you with a single die, 1D8 or 1D10 respectively.

So if you have 2D8 and the penalty is -2D you obviously don't have enough dice so you must first scale down to 3D6 and only then apply the penalty of -2D, so 3D6 - 2D which is 1D6.

If the penalty was -3D you would have to scale down again to 4D4 and you would be left with 1D4.
Claus
Radical Approach

Postby Jaracove » 7:23pm on 28 May 13

Claus wrote:Ah, no it is not the penalty which scales causes it to scale down, but rather you need to scale down until you can pay the penalty.

Dice penalties (and bonuses) do not depend on dice type. So if you have 3D8 or 3D10 a -2D penalty would in both cases leave you with a single die, 1D8 or 1D10 respectively.

So if you have 2D8 and the penalty is -2D you obviously don't have enough dice so you must first scale down to 3D6 and only then apply the penalty of -2D, so 3D6 - 2D which is 1D6.

If the penalty was -3D you would have to scale down again to 4D4 and you would be left with 1D4.

Ah yes, now I understand

This bit helped " If the penalty is greater than the dice available, scale the skill or attribute down until there is enough dice to pay the penalty."

I know that's what you were saying, but it didn't click until I read it in context with the other rules on that page (95).

Can I ask why you didn't just keep deducting the number of dice (i.e. 3d8 - 1d = 2d8 - 1d = 1d8 - 1d - 2d6)?

Is it because the penalty is not severe enough?
Jaracove
3rd-level

Postby Claus » 9:37pm on 28 May 13

You can't mix number of dice and die type, it won't work. Besides, because of how scaling works 1D8 is the same as 2D6, so 1D8 -1D = 1D6, just like 2D6 -1D = 1D6. Nothing to do with the severity of the penalty.

Bonuses work the same way. If you get +1D then if you have 1D8 you will end up with 2D8. If you have 2D6 you will end up with 3D6, but since 2D8 can be scaled down to 3D6 (and vice versa) it is the same thing.

Scaling takes a bit of getting used to, but is really fun once you get comfortable with how it works. Some players take some time to grok it and avoid it at first, while others immediately start scaling up and down and love the tactical choice it gives them in rolling dice.
Claus
Radical Approach

Postby Jaracove » 12:04am on 29 May 13

Scaling up is significantly easier though, yes? Because you don't have to worry about having enough dice to accomodate penalites?

For example, 3d8 with a +1d simply scales up to 4d8?
Jaracove
3rd-level

Postby Claus » 9:42pm on 29 May 13

Yes.
Claus
Radical Approach

Postby Jaracove » 2:56pm on 06 Jun 13

There are a few points unclear to me

Page 123 Ambush
..."the ambushers all get to act first in the round and may execute both their primary and secondary action."

Basically, if the ambusher is successful, he can attack twice, forcing the defender to defend twice?

Like:

Ambusher Primary Action 'Attack'
Defender Primary Action 'Defend'
Ambusher Secondary Action 'Attack'
Defender Secondary Action 'Defend'

That it?

If so, I thought you could not perform the same action twice in a row

And what constitutes 'complete surprise' as indicated on page 123 in the 'Ambush' paragraph?

"If the attack is instant and a [i]complete surprise, such as stabbing someone in the back, the defender is unable to defend and the attack is considered a free action before normal initiative is rolled[/i]"

Page 124
On the next page, it says 'if the target is unaware of the attack there is usually no need to roll. Simply declare the location and trauma.'

Is this 'target is unaware' the same as the 'complete surprise' (as mentioned on page 123)? If it is, should this have been pointed out on the previous page (123) when speaking of 'complete surprise' to make it clearer, along with saying it's done against an Easy 2 difficulty, or is it a different thing altogether?

It's not clear if they are two different things
Jaracove
3rd-level

Postby Claus » 3:17pm on 06 Jun 13

"A surprise attack or ambush is a special type of held action where the ambushers all get to act first in the round and may execute both their primary and secondary action."

So the main benefit of an ambush is that the ambushers automatically win initiative, but otherwise actions are handled as normal and you cannot attack with the same weapon twice unless you have a path ability for that, or wielding a weapon in each hand.

For example:
Ambusher Primary: Stab at enemy with sword
Defender Primary: Dodge
Ambusher Secondary: Punch at enemy, or perhaps harass to take off balance (trip, push, elbow, knee, etc.)
Defender Secondary: Block

Of course: "If the attack is instant and a complete surprise, such as stabbing someone in the back, the defender is unable to defend and the attack is considered a free action before normal initiative is rolled"
Claus
Radical Approach

Next

Return to Radical Approach