Wahee, Seven Hills number three!

FAQ | Search | Register | Login
View unanswered posts | View active topics | View your posts
Seven Hills is a new roleplaying convention, to be held in Sheffield, the Rome of the north, on the 26th and 27th of April 2014.

Moderators: dr_mitch, First Age

Wahee, Seven Hills number three!

Postby dr_mitch » 12:56am on 23 Apr 16

Now I've recovered down from both the excitement and the post-convention mellow period, time for me to talk about Seven Hills three!

(*) On Friday, I had a proper catch up with people at the bar. That was good. Extra special thanks to everyone who stayed up while I was waiting for the taxi.

(*) Organiser's perspective...there were too many games for the number of players there, with two or so per slot not running. This is something for me to watch out for next year. I'm still really happy with everyone coming along and offering games, and hope nobody was *too* disappointed their game didn't run.

(*) We don't talk about the Armoury.

(*) I thought the convention had a really nice atmosphere.

Now the games...

(*) Slot one was The Steel Chrysanthemum, my Legend of the Five Rings scenario with Steve Ellis, Remi, Stephen "I'll kill you in a duel" Elves, and John Ruddy. I had fun with this, and there was some strong characterisation from the players. I aimed for a combination of action and politics. Nobody met with complete tragedy, but it was a nicely messy ending. I ought to offer some more L5R at conventions.

(*) Slot two I played Paul Lawrence's Savage Worlds Lankmar Murder of Crows with Dan "my character hates yours" Levi, Paul B, and Graham. This was a fun group to be in; the game in general was such immense pure *fun*. It was a nice mixture of comedy and darkness, and really felt like Lankhmar. It also reminded me how much I enjoy Savage Worlds as a player. I now want my own fake religious cult of the Scarecrow. But more than that I want a sequel!

(*) Slot three and Saturday evening brought a sombre and atmospheric game of Trail of Cthulhu with Richard Lock's Iron Harvest with Fil, Tom Lock, and Seven Hills first-timer Jon. This was rich in atmosphere, though I went a bit gung-ho at the end, and nicely low key and personal. The rules were as smooth as a smoothie. I got a lot out of this game.

Then down to the bar...

(*) Slot four on Sunday morning was me running again, this time some Planescape powered by Barbarians of Lemuria in To Hell and Back, with Richard "I'm only playing in one of your games this year" Lock, Fil, John R, and Alex. It was silly and dark, with the Barbarians of Lemuria rules being nicely transparent and maybe my new weapon of choice for running D&Dish settings. And Rich's character met a heroic end fighting a pit fiend while everyone else jumped out of the window and made their escape. It wasn't deep, but I really enjoyed running this.

(*) By slot five on Saturday afternoon, I was pretty exhausted when it was time to run my Mindjammer scenario, Dragonfly Wings, with Nick Reynolds, Steve Ellis, "I can speak with a Russian accent" j0rdi, and James B. Going with the atmosphere at the table, the gang managed to think and science their way out of situations rather than resorting to combat in a fun exploration of alien ruins and alien menaces. We had the atmosphere intended, and a style of SF I'm very much interested in.

What can I say? Good people, good games, and a relaxed atmosphere. I look forward to the next one!
dr_mitch has received thanks from the following for this post:
j0rdi, Neil Smith, ragr, simonpaulburley, Steven, zackspacks
dr_mitch
dr_mitch
Playing: Ashen Stars
Running: The One Ring
Planning: Lots. Always.

Re: Wahee, Seven Hills number three!

Postby ragr » 4:13pm on 23 Apr 16

BoL was very good fun. I did like the system, it seemed to be at the perfect level of crunch for the scenario; gave you things you could do but kept those things well structured. I wonder about its longer term application. It was really nice to get a chance to delve into Planescape after all those years of having the boxes in a cupboard; might be nice to see it again sometime.
"He's an okay GM sometimes" - Pebsie
ragr has received thanks from the following for this post:
dr_mitch
ragr
17th-level
Playing: The One Ring
Running: Nights Black Agents. CoC (Curse Of Nineveh), Ashen Stars.

Postby dr_mitch » 10:18pm on 23 Apr 16

Yes, I can see myself doing more BoL Planescape at future conventions (though I now have other plans for Furnace). I don't think I'd use the system for a long-running game, but for a one shot or short series of a few sessions, I'm rather taken with it. But for that it has just enough crunch.
ragr
dr_mitch
dr_mitch

Postby ragr » 8:15am on 24 Apr 16

dr_mitch wrote:
(*) Slot three and Saturday evening brought a sombre and atmospheric game of Trail of Cthulhu with Richard Lock's Iron Harvest with Fil, Tom Lock, and Seven Hills first-timer Jon. This was rich in atmosphere, though I went a bit gung-ho at the end, and nicely low key and personal. !

Thinking about the gung-ho element with the benefit of distance reveals the actions of a group of people who were thoroughly disturbed by the situation in which they found themselves and resorting to the oddest of solutions; from a distance they probably looked like mentally unstable people. One of the things I like about either of the Cthulhu games is when it brings out this kind of behaviour rather then the outright and blatant actions following a failed SAN/Stability roll, which has become very overplayed - to the point where it's almost expected, especially within a short form game. I love these moments in the game; in a long term game they can be even better, where the ramifications of the behaviour presents a spiral of outcomes.
"He's an okay GM sometimes" - Pebsie
ragr has received thanks from the following for this post:
dr_mitch
ragr
17th-level
Playing: The One Ring
Running: Nights Black Agents. CoC (Curse Of Nineveh), Ashen Stars.

Postby dr_mitch » 10:44am on 24 Apr 16

ragr wrote:
dr_mitch wrote:Thinking about the gung-ho element with the benefit of distance reveals the actions of a group of people who were thoroughly disturbed by the situation in which they found themselves and resorting to the oddest of solutions; from a distance they probably looked like mentally unstable people. One of the things I like about either of the Cthulhu games is when it brings out this kind of behaviour rather then the outright and blatant actions following a failed SAN/Stability roll, which has become very overplayed - to the point where it's almost expected, especially within a short form game. I love these moments in the game; in a long term game they can be even better, where the ramifications of the behaviour presents a spiral of outcomes.

I've also been thinking about that (a sign of a good game that, thinking about it a week later). I didn't so much do gung ho things as a player as react in character (no, I won't say the dreaded I-word). It was a form of panic, and thinking of things in terms of going "over the top" again based on the flashbacks. I also got really concerned for my friends. Same goes for the shooting in the foot; something that I hope came across as very out of character.

I went off convention Cthulhu years back, because I was bored of the SAN loss black comedy routine. I was pretty sure from previous games of yours that you'd do something rather more interesting, so I signed up, and I'm really glad I did.
ragr
dr_mitch
dr_mitch

Postby zackspacks » 12:19pm on 24 Apr 16

dr_mitch wrote: I now want my own fake religious cult of the Scarecrow. But more than that I want a sequel!
Thanks mate, the Cult Of The Scarecrow was added to my after game notes, and also the Schism of The Purple Jellyfish cult, in which stinging occurs, was also duly noted.

Incidentally Dan's character had nothing in their bio about disliking you at all. It was all his doing :lol: However the group of players were awesome, many thanks once again for this. :brofist:

As for a sequel, well I will be writing another one, not so much a sequel, just a different story with the same characters, cheers.
zackspacks has received thanks from the following for this post:
dr_mitch, PaulBaldowski
zackspacks
zackspacks
Playing: Nothing
Running: Savage Sinbad
Planning: Napalm Jones for Furnace

Postby dr_mitch » 10:54pm on 28 Apr 16

zackspacks wrote:Thanks mate, the Cult Of The Scarecrow was added to my after game notes, and also the Schism of The Purple Jellyfish cult, in which stinging occurs, was also duly noted.

Incidentally Dan's character had nothing in their bio about disliking you at all. It was all his doing :lol: However the group of players were awesome, many thanks once again for this. :brofist:

As for a sequel, well I will be writing another one, not so much a sequel, just a different story with the same characters, cheers.

Awesome. Adding to the cannon! And another outing with the same group of characters would be fantastic.
First Age, zackspacks
dr_mitch
dr_mitch

Return to Seven Hills