2017 Thanks!

FAQ | Search | Register | Login
View unanswered posts | View active topics | View your posts
Seven Hills is a new roleplaying convention, to be held in Sheffield, the Rome of the north, on the 26th and 27th of April 2014.

Moderators: dr_mitch, First Age

2017 Thanks!

Postby Evilgaz » 7:23pm on 25 Apr 17

Thanks to organisers, players and GMs of this year's 7 Hills, great fun as always.

Friday bar was quieter than usual, but that was a good thing - caught up with Some People, but probably Not Enough People. Such is the challenge of having so many friends and acquaintances in one place!

Slot 1 - Sexy Lemur - Cypher system Star Wars. I've been holding off running Cypher at cons as it always seems a bit much to take in, even though the system itself is fairly light. Fellow Smart Party member Pete shows the way... Make your own character sheets (never an issue for me!), use the Marvel initiative system (who ever went last picks who goes next) and halve the hit points of mook baddies so they don't outstay their welcome. Sexy times. Good fun with starships wending through asteroid fields, getting a Bothan off his fur on psychotropics and infiltrating the senate. Will try some Cypher soon I think.

Slot 2 - J0rdi - Pendragon. It is a rare beast to see in the wild - a questing beast could be say? Fun session of a game I normally have to run and don't get to play. Bit of a slow start, as it was designed for introducing people to the game, but we were all old hands, then off on a romp and those nefarious fae creatures causing problems again. Good fun! Glen had tinkered with the system a bit to make it more con friendly, but my advice would be to stick the RAW, except the "roll a 1, lose your character" thing for passions - as in my experience most folk can handle it. :)

Slot 3 - me - Cthulhu Invictus. First time out using the "proper" 7th ed rules since they've been published and I was a bit rusty on some points of order I think, but it all ran smoothly enough. Great set of players, with Julez and Nigel falling straight into a Sergeant Major / long suffering Private relationship in no time, and everyone else embracing their roles and the game whole heartedly. I think everyone's favourite moment was the cowardly Legionary who'd run from the final scene leaving his companions to their fate, fumbling his attempt to get in a boat and having his throat slit. Or maybe that was just mine. :)

Slot 4 - me - Hell on Earth. One of my sort-of-sandpit games with a map of stuff, starter mission and background threat that'll keep pushing things forward. Everyone got into it, which was great, with some laugh out loud moments and great one liners along the way. I might need to put some more meat on the bones for interactions and force one or two more car chases or dramatic scenes, but overall a fun session and it's given me some more ideas of what I might do if I run it at ShaCon.

Slot 5 - Zackpacks - Resident Evil (Savage). Paul likes to make sure his characters are "capable" and we were certainly that. I don't think the T-Virus zombies stood a chance. As usual, plenty of handouts, although I was disappointed by the lack of floorplans... (jk)! Paul brings some good energy to the last slot of the day, for me the scenario could have done with a couple more scenes in it to give us more to chew on, but it was an enjoyable way to spend a Sunday afternoon regardless.

I missed saying hello properly to loads of people, and that was with about ten no-shows on the day too. Some games didn't run as a result, but there's no helping that. As long as everyone got to play something, that's the main thing. I recommend more people to sign up for the convention next time - always a pleasure - never a chore!

Thanks again to organisers, players and GMs for a great time. I may even mention it in the 50th Anniversary podcast. :D
Evilgaz has received thanks from the following for this post:
dpmcalister, dr_mitch, First Age, j0rdi, Jiminy, ragr, SexyLemur, simonpaulburley, The Crypt Keeper
Evilgaz
Evil Alien Overlord
Playing: Iron Kingdoms
Running: Savage Worlds, Hot War
Planning: Deadlands, Lot5R

Re: 2017 Thanks!

Postby The Crypt Keeper » 7:32pm on 25 Apr 17

Evilgaz wrote: I think everyone's favourite moment was the cowardly Legionary who'd run from the final scene leaving his companions to their fate, fumbling his attempt to get in a boat and having his throat slit. Or maybe that was just mine. :)

Absolutely right it was...laugh, we most certainly did :lol: Fabulous game Gaz, cheers for running it :-D
Cardinal Fangorn of the Proggish Inquisition and Keeper of the Comfy Chair

"I shall fetch the soft cushions, a copy of 2112 and a portfolio of Roger Dean album covers"
The Crypt Keeper has received thanks from the following for this post:
Evilgaz
The Crypt Keeper
Dice Funder

Return to Seven Hills