Memoirs of a Sweary Man!

FAQ | Search | Register | Login
View unanswered posts | View active topics | View your posts
Seven Hills is a new roleplaying convention, to be held in Sheffield, the Rome of the north, on the 26th and 27th of April 2014.

Moderators: First Age, dr_mitch

Memoirs of a Sweary Man!

Postby dpmcalister » 8:51pm on 25 Apr 17

Hopping onto a train straight from work I found myself in Sheffield just before 6pm and at the Garrison not long after. Meeting up with Chris we then headed over to the bar where we proceeded to imbibe a jar or 7 of ale! Great to catch up with j0rdi and thenovalord (even if I was told off by one of the barstaff for swearing!) Still, not the end of the world - although it perhaps cemented my reputation! On to the games:

Saturday am: D&D 5e (me)--My sign-up only attracted two names but I was happy to run with that so proceeded to head down to the Dungeon. One the way down I picked up another player and, again, once downstairs, there were another three. I'd come up with male and female versions of the core D&D characters (dwarven cleric, elven wizard, halfling rogue, and human fighter) so we ended up with a couple of twins but the players seemed happy enough so off we went. I'll freely admit that, although I had the basics of the scenario jotted down in my notebook, the actual specifics were finalised during play. Everything worked out well though (to such an extent that I'm going to work up the scenario and maybe even run it again at some point). Suffice to say, I hit every point I wanted to: urban legend, a dungeon and a dragon :)

Saturday pm: The Petal Hack (nclarke)--The first time I had to get my sharped elbows out for the sign-up scrum but, of course, I didn't have to as the Seven Hills sign-up system is all rather civilised with a queue and everything. I fancied taking a look at the new Hotness in the form of a Hack game. Being of the right age I remember Tekumel being around although I never played it "back in the day". It was a very interesting background and I really enjoyed the game with both nclarke's and First Age's (another player) enthusiasm for the setting bursting through. I was less enamoured with the system though. It seems to over simplify things too much. Still, I'm glad I tried it and I'd certainly play another Tekumel-based game.

Saturday evening: Deadlands Noir (TPK)--After a little misunderstanding about the slot start time, we found ourselves as members of a para-investigation team in 1931 New Orleans. Blundering from one part of the investigation to another, we stumbled upon the villain of the piece where my character proceeded to get horribly killed by a knitting needle! Good fun though even though I think we steadfastly avoided every bit of plot going ;)

Sunday am: Savage Worlds TMNT (j0rdi)--I remember running and playing the original TMNT RPG back in the 80s and loving it so it was almost a given that I'd jump at an updated version. j0rdi didn't disappoint. I managed to grab Mikey and got us into as much trouble as I could while eating as much pizza as possible. We even managed to get a little topical by joining an anti-Trump protest march #TurtlesAgainstTrump and #GreenIsNotMean ;)

Sunday pm: Savage Worlds Resident Evil (zackspack)--I've watched the films and tried playing the first game (but, as Evilgaz will tell you from my Left4Dead days, I'm crap at that sort of game) but that's the extent of my Resident Evil knowledge. Still, a game in a zombie apocolypse? How could I resist? I thought the characters were well balanced with a nice element of potential PvP but with the overriding aim of needing to work together to succeed. We were pretty lucky with the Big Bad at the end I think as it could easily have gone horribly wrong, but it was a good way to end the convention.

By the time the game ended it appeared that most people had already disappeared. A shame as I would have liked to say goodbye (or even hello in some cases!) properly. I did bump into Simon Burley and had a good, but short, chat while waiting for our respective trains before heading home.

Once again (and this was my third Seven Hills - I, unfortunately, missed the first), Seven Hills proved itself to be an excellent convention and the Garrison (being told off for swearing notwithstnding ;)) an excellent venue. Already looking forward to next year although I'm not sure about the theme...
My administrator/moderator voice is RED.

UK Role Players Affiliate Schemes: Amazon :: CafePress :: DriveThruRPG :: D&D Classics :: ProFantasy :: RPGNow
Personal Links: Blog :: Flickr :: LinkedIn :: Twitter
dpmcalister has received thanks from the following for this post:
Darran, First Age, j0rdi, ragr, satbunny, simonpaulburley
dpmcalister
Administrator
Running: D&D 5e: Under Illefarn; Lost Mines of Phandelver; Storm King's Thunder

Re: Memoirs of a Sweary Man!

Postby SJE » 9:30pm on 25 Apr 17

Was it the grumpy old man behind the bar who told you off? He's basically the nemesis of each gaming con.
"Forth, and fear no darkness! Arise. Arise, Riders of Theoden. Spears shall be shaken, shields shall be splintered! A sword day... a red day... ere the sun rises. Ride now!... Ride now!... Ride! Ride for ruin and the world's ending!"

Exalted Actual Play: Gem City Watch! || Dark Heresy- Silver Dawn/The Castermere Look/The Beiderbeck Investigation || ASOI&F - A Knights Tale || Cold City: BSG || Rogue Trader: Eastern Fringes Trading Co. || Elric: Inception in the Dreaming City || Masks of Nyarlathotep-7e||Super(Mad)men from the Stars||V20: The Red List|| Dracula Dossier @LongCon2016
SJE has received thanks from the following for this post:
Darran, dpmcalister, satbunny
SJE
17th-level

Postby dpmcalister » 9:43pm on 25 Apr 17

SJE wrote:Was it the grumpy old man behind the bar who told you off? He's basically the nemesis of each gaming con.

It was indeed that gentleman. I realise my language can be a bit fruity at times (especially if I've imbibed ale) but I've never been told off before. I can only surmise that I was rather loud. Still, no harm, no foul - and I'll be a little more circumspect in the future ;)

UK Role Players Affiliate Schemes: Amazon :: CafePress :: DriveThruRPG :: D&D Classics :: ProFantasy :: RPGNow
Darran, satbunny, The Crypt Keeper
dpmcalister
Administrator

Postby dr_mitch » 11:32pm on 25 Apr 17

I would judge you were considerably less fruity than the average guest when a wedding is being held at the Garrison.

I'm glad you enjoyed the event. Things do rather fade out on Sunday don't they?
dr_mitch has received thanks from the following for this post:
dpmcalister, satbunny
dr_mitch
dr_mitch
Playing: Esoterrorists, Unknown Armies, Cthulhu Invictus
Running: D&D 5e, The One Ring
Planning: Lots. Always.

Postby Darran » 11:50pm on 25 Apr 17

I did really enjoy the D&D 5e game on Saturday morning, my only second time playing it. :D

I thought it best to have one full game running than two half empty games due to the lack of players.
Cheers,
Darran
-----------------------------
'A lack of planning on your part does not constitute an Emergency on my part'-http://darransims.livejournal.com/
Playing crappy characters on a whim for +35 years!
Darran has received thanks from the following for this post:
dpmcalister, dr_mitch, satbunny
Darran
Dice Funder
Playing: Nothing
Running: Firefly, Supernatural.
Planning: Wilderness Throne, Tales from the Loop.

Postby dr_mitch » 7:25pm on 27 Apr 17

By the way Dave, are you still allowed in Samuel Smiths pubs? 8)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbcthree/item/041d5177-b5cb-49c4-bb27-dcb652806c0d
dr_mitch has received thanks from the following for this post:
dpmcalister
dr_mitch
dr_mitch
Playing: Esoterrorists, Unknown Armies, Cthulhu Invictus
Running: D&D 5e, The One Ring
Planning: Lots. Always.

Postby dpmcalister » 7:42pm on 27 Apr 17

There is one in Lincoln but I've never been in. Unlikely to now ;)

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge

dr_mitch
dpmcalister
Administrator

Postby Dr Moose » 6:25pm on 01 May 17

Twas good to meet you on the Friday evening and put a name to a face :)
QED
(Quadruped Erat Demonstrandum)

1 man, 1 million ideas... and all of them still incomplete
"Unleashing the inner teenager since 1988"
Dr Moose has received thanks from the following for this post:
dpmcalister
Dr Moose
2nd-level
Playing: Nowt
Running: zip, squared
Planning: Random projects for Glorantha, Traveller, Wordplay & general interest

Return to Seven Hills