Welcome to Whartson Hall

FAQ | Search | Register | Login
View unanswered posts | View active topics | View your posts
Obsessed with old, indie and even modern games, chocolate and bad puns, this group started in Manchester and has since spread across England thanks to the magic of VoIP.

Moderators: Jomster, BigJackBrass, RogerBW

Welcome to Whartson Hall

Postby BigJackBrass » 11:45am on 02 Sep 16

Nestled in the lush green heart of the Internet, aimless and ageless, rambling monument to monumental rambling, Whartson Hall.

We've been clogging up the Web since 2007 with (almost entirely) unedited recordings of numerous roleplaying games, ranging from experimental indies to crusty old standards. The membership has shifted and fluctuated, but the aim of giving a group of friends a way to relax and share some laughs has remained.

These days geography has conspired against us, driving the Hall entirely online, playing through Google Hangouts. It does affect the table experience and often introduces technical gremlins, but means we can carry on gaming. You're most welcome to listen in and add your comments to the forum.

Current residents may include:

Jason
Mark
Amelia
Nick
Roger
Jon

All uploaded episodes are available here, and there's also an RSS feed - but discussion and announcements happen on these forums.
‘If a man does not make new acquaintance as he advances through life, he will soon find himself left alone. A man, Sir, should keep his friendship in constant repair.
- Samuel Johnson
BigJackBrass
Whartson Hall Gamers
Playing: Pendragon
Running: Forgotten Futures
Planning: HeroQuest. Or T&T. Or Fudge. Or...

Re: Welcome to Whartson Hall

Postby BigJackBrass » 10:27am on 17 Sep 16

I was recently the guest of Dirk the Dice on his podcast The Grognard Files, chatting about Tunnels & Trolls. You can listen to the episode via this convenient link. It includes a snippet of audio from our Monsters! Monsters! game, which can be found in full elsewhere on this forum.
‘If a man does not make new acquaintance as he advances through life, he will soon find himself left alone. A man, Sir, should keep his friendship in constant repair.
- Samuel Johnson
BigJackBrass
Whartson Hall Gamers

Postby YankTank » 4:35am on 11 Jul 17

Hi, YankTank from the USA here. Hope it's OK to respond to this. Didn't really see anywhere else it would fit on the forum.

I have really been enjoying Whartson Hall's actual play podcasts. I originally listened to get a feel for how to run Classic Traveller. But I stuck around because you are all so much fun to listen to.

Your shows have replaced heavy metal as my go-to workout listening. Which may not be a good thing, as bursting into laughter while running or lifting weights could be dangerous!

I'd love to hear you play Over The Edge sometime.

I really like the wide variety of games that you choose, as well as your sense of humor. Thank you for providing me with so much entertainment, keep up the good work!
YankTank has received thanks from the following for this post:
satbunny
YankTank
1st-level
Playing: C&C
Running: Over the Edge, Classic Traveller
Planning: Golden Heroes

Postby RogerBW » 8:51am on 11 Jul 17

Welcome, YT!

I don't think there's any Over the Edge in the archives, but I have a Cunning Plan…
Podcast: Improvised Radio Theatre - With Dice
Gaming stuff here: Tekeli-li!
Try my weekly webcomic, Laager and Limehouse
Buy stuff I've written: on Warehouse 23
RogerBW has received thanks from the following for this post:
satbunny, YankTank
RogerBW
Whartson Hall Gamers

Postby BigJackBrass » 12:02pm on 11 Jul 17

Welcome to the forum and thank you for the kind words.

I would, however, caution against anyone listening to our group for examples of how to actually run any RPGs :D
- Samuel Johnson
BigJackBrass has received thanks from the following for this post:
satbunny, YankTank
BigJackBrass
Whartson Hall Gamers

Postby YankTank » 6:13pm on 11 Jul 17

RogerBW wrote:Welcome, YT!

I don't think there's any Over the Edge in the archives, but I have a Cunning Plan…

Ah, I see you wrote "Infection" for the WaRP System. I recently ran OtE for my regular C&C group and ran them through the "Collision" adventure.
YankTank has received thanks from the following for this post:
satbunny
YankTank
1st-level

Postby RogerBW » 7:09pm on 11 Jul 17

(Buy a copy! Buy several!) That actually originated as a GURPS demo adventure, but WaRPed Adventures fits it pretty well.
Podcast: Improvised Radio Theatre - With Dice
Gaming stuff here: Tekeli-li!
Try my weekly webcomic, Laager and Limehouse
Buy stuff I've written: on Warehouse 23
RogerBW has received thanks from the following for this post:
satbunny, YankTank
RogerBW
Whartson Hall Gamers

Postby YankTank » 8:50pm on 11 Jul 17

RogerBW wrote:(Buy a copy! Buy several!) That actually originated as a GURPS demo adventure, but WaRPed Adventures fits it pretty well.

I purchased all of the available WaRP stuff together, so I have Infection. Er, that didn't sound right...
YankTank
1st-level

Return to Whartson Hall Gamers