Pendragon: The Great Pendragon Campaign

FAQ | Search | Register | Login
View unanswered posts | View active topics | View your posts
Obsessed with old, indie and even modern games, chocolate and bad puns, this group started in Manchester and has since spread across England thanks to the magic of VoIP.

Moderators: Jomster, BigJackBrass, RogerBW

Pendragon: The Great Pendragon Campaign

Postby RogerBW » 3:22pm on 07 Oct 16

"You know what I like about Whartson Hall?", said one of our commenters on the old site. "Your short campaigns".

RogerBW - GM
Nick - Sir Perin
Dr Jomster - Sir Geoffrey
BigJackBrass - Sir Garimore
RIddles - Sir Idris

Session 0 - Character Generation. 42 years of history in a little over an hour - and our brave heroes start to take shape.
Session 1 - 485 a - The Bear and Bandit Hunt. The squires are sent to deal with a "man-eating bear", and meet more than they bargained for.
Session 2 - 485 b - The Battle of Mearcred Creek. The new-made knights join Uther's forces in fighting the Saxons. Well, it could have gone worse.
Session 3 - 486 - Sword Lake. The knights are kept back from fighting Saxons, and ride the bounds of Salisbury. Merlin makes everything more complicated.
Session 4 - 487 a - Lindsey Embassy. The knights go on an embassy with the King, and nobody dies in spite of their best efforts.
Session 5 - 487 b - Malahaut Embassy. On to Eburacum! What is it about turning up to visit, the people you came to see always seem to be out...
Session 6 - 488 - to Frankland! The knights cross the British Sea as part of Madoc's army, and find out the other reason why he's called a bastard.
Session 7 - 489 - Excalibur's Peace: The knights travel to Devon in hope of a battle... and don't get the one they expect.
Session 8 - 490 - Battle of Lindsey: After more winter tragedy and dead horses, the knights enter their biggest battle yet... and try for a king's ransom.
Session 9 - 490-491 - King's Progress and Tintagel: The aftermath of Lindsey, and gross breaches of hospitality lead to bad ends.

…and we're back with phase 2!

Session 10 - 492 - Three Weddings and a Kidnapping: On garrison duty in Tintagel over winter, and then things get strange.
Session 11 - 492 - Tried for Treason: Is it a plot? Of COURSE it's a plot. But how will our heroes get out of it?
Session 12 - 493 - Embassy to Eburacum: Riding attendance on their earl, the knights encounter an old ally, and show him proper hospitality.
Session 13 - 494 a - Embassy to Estregales: Last winter's shadow hangs heavy as our heroes head into the barbarian lands past Cardiff.
Session 14 - 494 b - Embassy Awry: With one knight melancholic, the knights come up against base treachery... and smite it.
Session 15 - 495 - The Battle of St Albans and the Infamous Feast: A highly glorious battle for these veteran knights. But it's the after party that gets you.

(That's it for now, though we'll be coming back to this campaign again.)
Podcast: Improvised Radio Theatre - With Dice
Gaming stuff here: Tekeli-li!
Try my weekly webcomic, Laager and Limehouse
Buy stuff I've written: on Warehouse 23
RogerBW has received thanks from the following for this post:
ajevans, Hador, Nomad, The Ugly American, WolfeRJ
RogerBW
Whartson Hall Gamers

Re: Pendragon: The Great Pendragon Campaign

Postby WolfeRJ » 7:23pm on 11 Oct 16

652 days after that post and with 210 Whartson Hall sessions through the podcasters I can emphatically say: Whartson hall sessions are great because, gosh darn it, they're such a witty and loveable bunch of scamps I just can't get enough of their shenanigans.

I'm looking forward to hearing how artisanal cheese production on the manors affects the progress of Arthurian legend cycles.
WolfeRJ has received thanks from the following for this post:
BigJackBrass
WolfeRJ
2nd-level

Postby BigJackBrass » 11:41am on 16 Oct 16

And they're off! Our newly minted characters embark on a short adventure:

RogerBW - GM
Nick - Sir Perin
Dr Jomster - Sir Geoffrey
BigJackBrass - Sir Garimore
RIddles - Sir Idris

Session 01 - 485 a - The Bear and Bandit Hunt. The squires are sent to deal with a "man-eating bear", and meet more than they bargained for.
‘If a man does not make new acquaintance as he advances through life, he will soon find himself left alone. A man, Sir, should keep his friendship in constant repair.
- Samuel Johnson
BigJackBrass has received thanks from the following for this post:
The Ugly American
BigJackBrass
Whartson Hall Gamers
Playing: Pendragon
Running: Forgotten Futures
Planning: HeroQuest. Or T&T. Or Fudge. Or...

Postby RogerBW » 10:27am on 21 Oct 16

Session 2: 485 b - The Battle of Mearcred Creek. The new-made knights join Uther's forces in fighting the Saxons. Well, it could have gone worse.
The Ugly American
RogerBW
Whartson Hall Gamers

Postby RogerBW » 10:07am on 28 Oct 16

Session 3 - 486 - Sword Lake. The knights are kept back from fighting Saxons, and ride the bounds of Salisbury. Merlin makes everything more complicated.
The Ugly American
RogerBW
Whartson Hall Gamers

Postby The Ugly American » 4:32pm on 01 Nov 16

Having only ever been familiar with American takes on this game, I have been wanting to hear Brits take on Great Pendragon Campaign for some time now. For most Americans, the only castle they've ever seen is the Disney one. We have no concrete attachment to the medieval past, so the whole thing is like an extended fairy tale to us, no more real than Lord of the Rings. Brits have layers of cultural understanding that we Americans lack, from the aforementioned castle architecture, to the scale and scope of the medieval landscape, to the class system. The past is much more concrete for people who live where it happened than for us on western side of the Atlantic. In other words, I really look forward to seeing how you folks play this!
The Ugly American
1st-level
Playing: https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/leg ... 1063143233?
Running: Rise of the Runelords (Pathfinder)
Planning: Delta Green and a Pendragon hack (two different games)

Postby RogerBW » 7:47pm on 01 Nov 16

That's an interesting thought, and one I hadn't considered - certainly, family holidays when I was young would often include "let's go and look at the ruined castle", and I assume that my players had similar experiences. There are quite a lot of ruined castles about the UK, and even the ones that are basically just outlines of stones give you an impression of the size of the whole affair that pictures in books don't.
dpmcalister
RogerBW
Whartson Hall Gamers

Postby RogerBW » 11:14am on 11 Nov 16

Session 4 - 487 a - Lindsey Embassy: The knights go on an embassy with the King, and nobody dies in spite of their best efforts.
RogerBW
Whartson Hall Gamers

Postby WolfeRJ » 8:48pm on 11 Nov 16

The opportunity to hear Monty Python quotes in an authentic accent is good as well; and a Blazing Saddles nod if my ears don't play tricks.

Enjoying the campaign very much!
WolfeRJ
2nd-level

Postby RogerBW » 10:36am on 18 Nov 16

Session 5 - 487 b - Malahaut Embassy. On to Eburacum! What is it about turning up to visit, the people you came to see always seem to be out...
RogerBW
Whartson Hall Gamers

Postby kendoyle659 » 10:21pm on 29 Nov 16

Really enjoying this. As I live in York I enjoyed the visit to Eboracum. The hunting trip with the Questing Beast was great fun too.
kendoyle659
1st-level

Postby BigJackBrass » 9:34am on 01 Dec 16

kendoyle659 wrote:The hunting trip with the Questing Beast was great fun too.

It was certainly unexpected.
‘If a man does not make new acquaintance as he advances through life, he will soon find himself left alone. A man, Sir, should keep his friendship in constant repair.
- Samuel Johnson
BigJackBrass
Whartson Hall Gamers
Running: Forgotten Futures
Planning: HeroQuest. Or T&T. Or Fudge. Or...

Postby Jomster » 11:34pm on 12 Jan 17

You know what's amazing about Sir Geoffrey? That he's some how managed not to die yet.

Impressive, I know. Worthy of the tales of Arthurian legend, I should wager...
Jomster
Whartson Hall Gamers
Playing: Cthulhu, Pendragon, Traveller
Running: Sadly nothing at the moment
Planning: World domination

Postby lordof1 » 11:04pm on 14 Jan 17

The Ugly American wrote:Having only ever been familiar with American takes on this game, I have been wanting to hear Brits take on Great Pendragon Campaign for some time now. For most Americans, the only castle they've ever seen is the Disney one. We have no concrete attachment to the medieval past, so the whole thing is like an extended fairy tale to us, no more real than Lord of the Rings. Brits have layers of cultural understanding that we Americans lack, from the aforementioned castle architecture, to the scale and scope of the medieval landscape, to the class system. The past is much more concrete for people who live where it happened than for us on western side of the Atlantic. In other words, I really look forward to seeing how you folks play this!

We are nothing if not cultural.
lordof1
2nd-level
Running: Call of Cthulhu
Planning: A baby

Postby lordof1 » 11:06pm on 14 Jan 17

Jomster wrote:You know what's amazing about Sir Geoffrey? That he's some how managed not to die yet.

Impressive, I know. Worthy of the tales of Arthurian legend, I should wager...

And he only has one more quest before he retires to tend his beloved wife, and so his fields. Or is it the other way round? Anyway, he'll be fine I'm sure. Just one more mission!
lordof1
2nd-level
Running: Call of Cthulhu
Planning: A baby

Next

Return to Whartson Hall Gamers