What have you seen recently?

FAQ | Search | Register | Login
View unanswered posts | View active topics | View your posts
The Gaming Tavern is a comfortable place for the discussion of fantasy, science fiction, visual, literary and in gaming. This forum is the successor to the much loved Gaming Tavern 2004-2016 RIP.

Moderator: satbunny

Re: What have you seen recently?

Postby j0rdi » 4:35pm on 21 Sep 17

I had to post this as it is almost beat perfect:

http://nerdist.com/nerdist-presents-tho ... s-trailer/

If you've ever wondered what the newest Thor would look like in an 80s video trailer.

I think I'd watch it even more...
j0rdi has received thanks from the following for this post:
dpmcalister, negromaestro, satbunny
j0rdi
ShaCon
Playing: Blades in the Dark, Cthulhu 7,
Running: 1/3 http://shacon.org.uk 2? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Planning: Savage Worlds! FAE! H+I! DitV???

Postby simonpaulburley » 10:22pm on 25 Sep 17

I've just watched the first two episodes of Star Trek Discovery and....... contrary to the prevailing on-line opinion, I LIKED it!

Yes I know the "we can afford prosthetics now" Klingons were a bit generic. But I can forgive that.

The one BIG issue I have was the music. Not just the bland - Netflix branding it seems - theme (lack of) tune. The soundtrack. When did SciFi shows adopt this drifty, standoffish, droning Muzak that distances the viewer from the action and totally fails to foster suspense and excitement? BSG suffered from the same thing but I don't think it was first. Where's all the brass? All the thunder? All the EXCITEMENT? Recut these episodes with a full, dramatic orchestral score and it'd change a lot of people's views on events.

Apart from that though, I really liked a lot about the show. The production is bloody beautiful. Yes it's pastiche, but all Star Trek now has to be pastiche and it's good pastiche, with loads of little call backs to the many older series and films. I like how they've cunningly combined Kirk and Spock into a single character. Good use of Sarek. Bad-ass Vulcans. But, most of all, the whole show fronted and carried by two non-White females and you don't even notice it. It's not even worthy of comment. Just as it should be. Just as it should ALWAYS have been.

Liked it.
"People don't stop playing because they get old. They get old because they stop playing."

Been around since original D&D
Author of Golden Heroes, Squadron UK, The Comics Code,The Code of the Spacelanes, The Code of Steam and Steel, The Code of Warrirors and Wizardry and The Super Hack.

I attend lots of RPG conventions in the UK. I Attend non-RPG "geek" conventions to promote The Hobby using my "Choose Your Adventure" set up. I blog about both of these things here: https://rpgs4all.blogspot.co.uk .
simonpaulburley has received thanks from the following for this post:
Darran, dr_mitch
simonpaulburley
Spaghetti ConJunction
Playing: The odd game at Conventions
Running: "Code" books - Comics, SciFi, SteamPunk, Anime.The Black Hack.
Planning: Manifold multi-genre RPG. More Code Books - Fantasyand Horror next

Postby j0rdi » 5:20pm on 27 Sep 17

I just watched the Anime short (~15mins) prequel to Bladerunner 2049. It's on crunchyroll:
http://www.crunchyroll.com/blade-runner ... 022-748417

It's only 480p (unless you sign up to their free trial) but that's fine for anime, and it's Eng-dub. So is it worth watching? If you like anime or are looking for some cyberpunk inspiration then I'd say yes, if neither apply but you're a Bladerunner buff then maybe (there's a bit of backstory about the world in there).
j0rdi has received thanks from the following for this post:
negromaestro, satbunny
j0rdi
ShaCon
Playing: Blades in the Dark, Cthulhu 7,
Running: 1/3 http://shacon.org.uk 2? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Planning: Savage Worlds! FAE! H+I! DitV???

Postby satbunny » 7:50pm on 05 Oct 17

Just been to see Bladerunner 2049.

Not keen.

Not going to say any more right now, your mileage may vary.

Sent from my SM-G901F using Tapatalk
Tom Zunder: tom at zunder.org.uk
satbunny has received thanks from the following for this post:
Darran
satbunny
The Guvnor
Playing: M&M, Savage Worlds
Running: Nowt
Planning: Dolmenwood 5e or TBH

Postby SJE » 8:32pm on 05 Oct 17

Just saw Bladerunner 2049- bloated running time, self indulgent visuals and a glacial pace. Like a latter day GRRM book it's desperately in need of an editor who can stand up to the auteur and remind them to go back to the meat and potatoes. A disappointing 3 out of 10!
"Forth, and fear no darkness! Arise. Arise, Riders of Theoden. Spears shall be shaken, shields shall be splintered! A sword day... a red day... ere the sun rises. Ride now!... Ride now!... Ride! Ride for ruin and the world's ending!"

Exalted Actual Play: Gem City Watch! || Dark Heresy- Silver Dawn/The Castermere Look/The Beiderbeck Investigation || ASOI&F - A Knights Tale || Cold City: BSG || Rogue Trader: Eastern Fringes Trading Co. || Elric: Inception in the Dreaming City || Masks of Nyarlathotep-7e||Super(Mad)men from the Stars||V20: The Red List|| Dracula Dossier @LongCon2016
SJE has received thanks from the following for this post:
Darran, satbunny
SJE
17th-level

Postby Dom » 8:11pm on 17 Oct 17

Saw Blade Runner 2049. My mileage does vary. Brilliant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"We live in a nuclear powered universe. We're the oddballs by getting energy from burning carbon."
James Lovelock
Dom has received thanks from the following for this post:
Darran
Dom
8th-level

Previous

Return to The Tavern