What have you seen recently?

FAQ | Search | Register | Login
View unanswered posts | View active topics | View your posts
The Gaming Tavern is a comfortable place for the discussion of fantasy, science fiction, visual, literary and in gaming. This forum is the successor to the much loved Gaming Tavern 2004-2016 RIP.

Moderator: satbunny

Re: What have you seen recently?

Postby ragr » 8:01am on 29 Jul 17

negromaestro wrote:"Passengers" needed George R. R. Martin's input.....

Which is the one thing George doesn't seem keen on these days.

The film was originally scheduled to have a smaller budget which may have curtailed excesses - or, the excesses just would have looked worse. Then Sony came in and splashed the cash with the remit that nobody wants to leave a cinema crying; unless we want them to, which on this occasion, we don't. Even dear old George would have been under orders.
"He's an okay GM sometimes" - Pebsie
ragr
18th-level
Playing: Blades In The Dark.
Running: CoC (Curse Of Nineveh), Ashen Stars.
Planning: Cthulhu Confidential, Esoterrorists, 13th Age. Yggdrasill.

Postby Darran » 12:48pm on 29 Jul 17

I have watched two remakes over the last couple of days, both to avoid!

Ben Hur. I knew that this wouldn't be as good as the original but I was watching it for a bit of sand & sandles inspiration. It was just so dull, I had to switch it off after an hour. It's main leads were uninteresting and what little action there was was insipid. Even the costumes and set locations were dull.

Jurassic World. This was a by-the-book summer blockbuster feature film. They got the narrative beats right and the special effects were very good. Trouble is it lacked any wonder and any insights into the nature of the dinosaur/human mix. It tried to make everything bigger and better but ended up making it hackneyed and uninspired.
I spent most of my time watching the changing hairstyles of Bryce Dallas Howard as the rest of the cast 'phoned' their performances in for the pay cheques!
Cheers,
Darran
-----------------------------
'A lack of planning on your part does not constitute an Emergency on my part'-http://darransims.livejournal.com/
Playing crappy characters on a whim for +35 years!
Darran
Dice Funder
Playing: Nothing
Running: Firefly, Supernatural.
Planning: Wilderness Throne, Tales from the Loop.

Postby ncmreynolds » 10:20am on 31 Jul 17

Stranger Things: A re-watch off the back of the season two trailer. I binged it in one sitting and it rewarded a second watch.

Spectral: Pretty basic action fodder with ghost-like entities killing soldiers in the middle of a messy conflict somewhere in a near future grimdark Eastern Europe. Full of cheese it has great visuals but flat characters and some horrific techno-babble to explain it all. This is a Netflix exclusive 'movie' and I've seen far worse at the cinema, I deliberately watched it to see what their output was like. OK if you accept its limitations.

Lucy: It thinks it's a meditation on the meaning of existence, with a dash of Morgan Freeman spouting posthuman aspiration for gravitas. It's not, it's tripe wrapped up in 'party girl gets superpowers' clothing. The only good thing about it is the frantic pace, especially the cross-Paris race against time.
This space left intentionally blank
ncmreynolds has received thanks from the following for this post:
Darran, ragr
ncmreynolds
Dice Funder

Postby Darran » 3:15pm on 31 Jul 17

As an antidote to Lucy check out Jonathan Glazer's sci-fi horror-flick, Under the Skin starring Scarlett Johansson and set in Glasgow of all places. It's very disturbing and almost surreal.
Cheers,
Darran
'A lack of planning on your part does not constitute an Emergency on my part'-http://darransims.livejournal.com/
Darran
Dice Funder

Postby j0rdi » 3:35pm on 31 Jul 17

I watched the new 'King Arthur' recently... and it's not fit to polish Excalibur's spurs.

If they hadn't felt the need to butcher the Pendragon story it would just be a very bad movie, soiling that myth drags it to a new low even David Cameron's sub wouldn't reach. Arthur is a brothel-keeper (natch) and Vortigern is his uncle. Arthur's son Mordred is now a mage who attacks Camelot when Arthur is just a child (couldn't have used a different name perhaps because there's little point doing that unless it's to signal that this is just going to chew up and spit out the Arthur myth... oh).

You can tell it's a Guy Ritchie movie because it's basically the same cheeky-chappy lovable criminal characters, only now they have swords not guns. What worked (really well imo) for Snatch and Lock, Stock is horribly out of place here, jarringly so - at least Charlie Hunnam didn't put on a mockney accent I suppose (but tbh it wouldn't have detracted much from the film if he had). It's like Ritchie's tried to shoehorn his goto 'modern british gangster movie with snappy dialogue and flash-forward jump cuts' and the Arthurian legend, with predictably crap results - I don't know if either camp would enjoy this mish-mash, hodge-podge chimera (complete with kung-fu school in ancient Londinium 'avin a barney with the 'rozzers').

The good bits! (There were some.) The acting was pretty good all round I thought - some top notch British actors (and Eric Bana and Djimon Hounsou) put in a good shift in a bad movie. Not convinced by Hunnam leading yet, even though I want him to do well, this isn't the movie to convince anyone. The special effects were pretty good (although the sword is totally OP and should be nerfed in the next patch...) but overused at times - I could've saved Ritchie a bundle there - and the longer they go on the easier it is to spot the flaws.

I can't help feeling that if they'd left the Arthur angle alone and just done 'Guy Ritchie's: Magic Sword and Fings Innit' then it wouldn't feel as woeful.
j0rdi has received thanks from the following for this post:
Darran, dr_mitch, ragr
j0rdi
ShaCon
Playing: Blades in the Dark, Cthulhu 7,
Running: 1/3 http://shacon.org.uk 2? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Planning: Savage Worlds! FAE! H+I! DitV???

Postby Neil Gow » 3:55pm on 31 Jul 17

Dude. It's not even that good. Utter ****

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Omnihedron Games - Publisher of Duty & Honour and Beat to Quarters
Keep up-to-date with Omnihedron on Facebook or Google+
ZackSpacks - "I get highly amused by Neil Gow’s constant slagging of Call of Cthulhu"
Jonny Gray - "Ron Edwards is no way as passionate as The Gow"
Nick Reynolds - "Suffice to say no Gon was left Un-zoed in this tour-de-force of Gow cod-British tourism-tat-driven madness."
Neil Gow
Gow Bear
Playing: Dresden Files Accelerated
Running: Monsterhearts 2, Symbaroum
Planning: Unliving, Dead of Night

Postby dr_mitch » 6:43pm on 31 Jul 17

I remember laughing hysterically at the trailer when I first saw it. That's probably enough hilarity for me without seeing the film.
dr_mitch
dr_mitch
Playing: Ashen Stars
Running: The One Ring
Planning: Lots. Always.

Postby MartinP » 7:03pm on 31 Jul 17

dr_mitch wrote:I remember laughing hysterically at the trailer when I first saw it. That's probably enough hilarity for me without seeing the film.
I saw the trailer on TV with the sound off (a work thing), and all I could think was "Giant war elephant, WTF?"

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
MartinP has received thanks from the following for this post:
dr_mitch
MartinP
4th-level
Playing: Spirit of the Century
Running: Code of Steam and Steel - Victorian Mars
Planning: Code of Shojo and Shonen, Alas For The Awful Sea, GURPS Traveller

Postby Dom » 11:06pm on 31 Jul 17

I watched the live action 'Ghost in the Shell' 2017 film again last night. Great action movie, and having both rewatched the original anime and read the manga since I watched this in the cinema in March, I think that this more than holds up. Visually, it's stunning, and definitely worth a watch.

//qThe only defense is to cease all communications. Shut all systems down, receive no messages. Further rep p p sqdr ....................//
"We live in a nuclear powered universe. We're the oddballs by getting energy from burning carbon."
James Lovelock
Dom has received thanks from the following for this post:
j0rdi
Dom
8th-level

Postby j0rdi » 12:54pm on 23 Aug 17

Just watched the new Starship Troopers: Traitor of Mars.

It's a fully CGI movie (except some news segments weirdly) but holds up really well. Although the callbacks to the original do get a bit much by the end. If you liked Starship Troopers at face value then you'll like this.

The inclusion of a leader who only cares about approval ratings and is willing to
Spoiler: show
destroy a planet
to get them is obviously stretching credulity though... :wink:
Last edited by j0rdi on 2:56pm on 11 Oct 17, edited 1 time in total.
Darran, satbunny
j0rdi
ShaCon

Postby satbunny » 4:55pm on 23 Aug 17

Is it streaming somewhere?
Tom Zunder: tom at zunder.org.uk
satbunny
The Guvnor
Playing: M&M, Savage Worlds
Running: Nowt
Planning: Dolmenwood 5e or TBH

Postby j0rdi » 5:45pm on 23 Aug 17

US via proxy, and I think it's hit and miss now as to which IPs are blocked or unblocked. The days of easy US streaming appear to be ending... :(
satbunny
j0rdi
ShaCon

Postby j0rdi » 11:58am on 02 Sep 17

Wrapped up this season of Killjoys. A pretty good finale... but then I had to go and see if it had been renewed and the news was bittersweet: Killjoys yes, Dark Matter no.

So they've cancelled Dark Matter which was imo the better of the two shows; plot, writing and acting. I hope the creator releases his outline for the show so I can see what might have been. As for Killjoys it gets another 2 seasons to wrap things up, but I'm not sure where it can go from this season's finale tbh.
Darran, satbunny
j0rdi
ShaCon

Postby PaulBaldowski » 8:54pm on 03 Sep 17

Watched Tomorrowland and Fantastic Four in the last few days.

I enjoyed Tomorrowland a lot and liked the concept/plot line a lot. It has a few ideas I'd be up for stealing, though it wasn't quite as sparky as Disney movies go. I liked the character of Athena. Wasn't too hot on the People in Black. Not a wasted evening.

On the other hand, if Tomorrowland missed the tone and spark by a bit, the most recent Fantastic Four didn't get anything right. Spending way too long on the childhood of characters we could hardly care about and introducing a villain who lacked any sense of villainy or master plan. ACK! As with other properties outside the core Marvel universe for contractual reasons, FF seems to miss again and again - and, if anything, this has to be the widest of the mark so far.
Paul B
"The Cthulhu Hack hit my doorstep today and it's bloody good!" - Simon Burley
"If you want at least a little bit of butt-kicking, or if you like tossing dice, The Cthulhu Hack is the clear choice." - Steve Roberts, RPG Geek
Ready to game with an All Rolled Up dice bag
PaulBaldowski has received thanks from the following for this post:
Darran, satbunny
PaulBaldowski
9th-level
Running: Tales From The Loop
Planning: Symbaroum, Cthulhu Hack, Star Trek, Predation, Dragon Quest

Postby Darran » 9:53pm on 03 Sep 17

I've been on a Netflix binge recently.

What Happened to Monday. No question mark.
Very much an Orphan Black vibe Noomi Rapace does it very well. Seven septuplets living in a world where only one offspring is allowed. Each goes out into the world on the day of her name, so Sunday goes out on Sunday, Monday on Monday, Tuesday on Tuesday, etc. taking on the persona of a single person they alll share. Of course trouble starts when Monday doesn't return home.
Interesting take on the issue of world over-population though it doesn't really dip into any of the issues raised about seven siblings sharing a single identity, cryogenic storage, world over-population, controlling State laws, police state, or even underground rebellion.

Death Note
A very poor working of the anime, severely white-washed, missing the point, and reduced to an awful 80's high school horror slasher. Only the performance by Willem Dafoe as Ryuk is watchable. Avoid!
Cheers,
Darran
Darran has received thanks from the following for this post:
satbunny
Darran
Dice Funder

PreviousNext

Return to The Tavern