What have you seen recently?

FAQ | Search | Register | Login
View unanswered posts | View active topics | View your posts
The Gaming Tavern is a comfortable place for the discussion of fantasy, science fiction, visual, literary and in gaming. This forum is the successor to the much loved Gaming Tavern 2004-2016 RIP.

Moderator: satbunny

Re: What have you seen recently?

Postby thenovalord » 2:53pm on 14 Dec 17

Especially that fan bois in the front row!!!

Quad in Derby is a lovely and cheap cinema
thenovalord has received thanks from the following for this post:
Darran
thenovalord
The Mighty Vest
Playing: Symbaroum, PFS
Running: Ironfang Invasion, Tomb Annihaltion, Starfinder
Planning: Kickstarter stuff

Postby negromaestro » 3:27am on 15 Dec 17

Star Wars: The Last Jedi --- absolutely brilliant.
And Episode 9 may be even more interesting considering what happened and did not happen in this one. :idea:
Running 2d20 games before they turned cool
negromaestro has received thanks from the following for this post:
thenovalord
negromaestro
9th-level
Playing: Warhammer 40K Dark Heresy
Running: Conan, Coriolis, Star Wars
Planning: Star Trek, Starfinder

Postby simonpaulburley » 9:21am on 15 Dec 17

Definite sound of Rian Johnson dropping the mike. “Follow THAT!”
"People don't stop playing because they get old. They get old because they stop playing."

Been around since original D&D
Author of Golden Heroes, Squadron UK, The Comics Code,The Code of the Spacelanes, The Code of Steam and Steel, The Code of Warrirors and Wizardry and The Super Hack.

I attend lots of RPG conventions in the UK. I Attend non-RPG "geek" conventions to promote The Hobby using my "Choose Your Adventure" set up. I blog about both of these things here: https://rpgs4all.blogspot.co.uk .
simonpaulburley has received thanks from the following for this post:
negromaestro
simonpaulburley
Spaghetti ConJunction
Playing: The odd game at Conventions
Running: "Code" books - Comics, SciFi, SteamPunk, Anime.The Black Hack.
Planning: Manifold multi-genre RPG. More Code Books - Fantasyand Horror next

Postby Newt » 10:46am on 15 Dec 17

"Stranger Things 2" an absolutely jaw-dropping follow up for the first session. It really exceeded my low expectations after they announced that season 2 would be showing how the characters are coping with the effects of the first season, which I took to mean that it would descend into a soap-opera parody of itself. It didn't, that was just the springboard for some really good story driven character development. I could spend all day gushing about how good it was :)

On the Kung Fu movie front, I'ld firmly recommend "The Mad Monk" starring Stephen Chow (of Kung Fu Hussle/Shaolin Soccer fame). It lives up to its name being the rather bonkers tale of a minor Chinese Immortal from the Western Heaven called Dragon Fighter (who is played by Chow) who is bet by the Jade Emperor (ruler of the Western Heaven) that he can not redeem three mortals (a beggar, a prostitute and a villain) within a time limit. Oh and when he gets down to Earth he forgets that he is immortal and cannot access his powers. It is a great fun film, which playfully explores Chinese folklore.

Into the Badlands season 2 on Amazon, was also amazing. It spent a lot of time getting the main characters back together after the devastating first season, and drawing out some of the deeper backgrounds of the characters, such as the enigmatic "MK". Oh and Nick Frost was godlike, no longer is he the fat sidekick to Simon Pegg. That's all I'm going to say on that one. If you've not seen Into the Badlands, it's the kung-fu/wild west/samurai mashup that actually works, because there are no guns and it has a tight self-contained setting.

Free Fire - Directed by Ben Wheatley, co-written with his wife Amy Jump, produced by Martin Scorsese. I loved it, it's a tense, fun action flick which doesn't take itself too seriously.
Regards

;O)Newt
Monkey! OpenQuest! Hearts in Glorantha! oh my! All at D101 Games
Iron GM get in early and ride the ConKrieg to VICTORY! :D
Newt has received thanks from the following for this post:
dr_mitch, satbunny
Newt
D101 Games
Running: FATE / Crypts & Things Remastered
Planning: Wordplay Cyberpunk, Old School D&D, Monkey & 101 other things

Postby simonpaulburley » 9:16am on 16 Dec 17

I finally caught up with the first episode of The Orville, now that it's finally officially, legally, available in the UK.

Flipping LOVED it. Yes it's an uneven mix-up of ludicrously high production values, strangely restrained performances, homage to Star Trek, spoof of Star Trek and occasional random, surreal (funny) moments but - for me - it hits the sweet spot. It WORKS!

Clearly, it's just Seth McFarlane's love letter to Star Trek. It's also his fan boy indulgence. You can see he's just wanted to run around firing a phaser for soooo long. The love shows. He can't bring himself to take the piss out of it.

I remain completely envious of the stupid range of his talents. No-one that gifted should exist. I selfishly cling to his one slight failing. Somehow how he doesn't have the gravitas to pull off the lead male role. As always, if he'd cast someine else there, this thing would've been even better. He should've played a funny alien. The android or the piss-filled, monosexed Rock guy.

That's just jealousy speaking, though. I love him for a making this. He speaks for me and a whole generation of fans. We don't need our Star Trek to be big or clever. Just give us the ship, the chair, the characters, the music and some kind of plot with a problem to be cleverly solved and we're happy.

I'm happy. Warm feeling.

(Shame it's been cancelled.)
"People don't stop playing because they get old. They get old because they stop playing."

Author of Golden Heroes, Squadron UK, The Comics Code,The Code of the Spacelanes, The Code of Steam and Steel, The Code of Warrirors and Wizardry and The Super Hack.

I attend lots of RPG conventions in the UK. I Attend non-RPG "geek" conventions to promote The Hobby using my "Choose Your Adventure" set up. I blog about both of these things here: https://rpgs4all.blogspot.co.uk .
satbunny
simonpaulburley
Spaghetti ConJunction

Postby j0rdi » 9:41am on 16 Dec 17

simonpaulburley wrote:(Shame it's been cancelled.)

Whoever told you that is full of it Simon, and I don't mean Christmas cheer.

https://twitter.com/TheOrville/status/9 ... 2493164544

It was renewed for Season 2 back in November and I've seen nothing since to contradict that.
j0rdi has received thanks from the following for this post:
satbunny
j0rdi
ShaCon
Playing: 13th Age, Cthulhu 7,
Planning: Savage Worlds! FAE! BoL! FU! TBH!

Postby simonpaulburley » 11:03am on 16 Dec 17

j0rdi wrote:
simonpaulburley wrote:(Shame it's been cancelled.)

Whoever told you that is full of it Simon, and I don't mean Christmas cheer.

https://twitter.com/TheOrville/status/9 ... 493164544k

It was renewed for Season 2 back in November and I've seen nothing since to contradict that.

I so hope you're right! Thanks!

satbunny
simonpaulburley
Spaghetti ConJunction

Postby j0rdi » 11:21am on 16 Dec 17

simonpaulburley wrote:I so hope you're right! Thanks!

If the confirmation Tweet from the official Orville account wasn't enough to convince you here're a few more sources:

https://twitter.com/SethMacFarlane/stat ... 4201397248
http://variety.com/2017/tv/news/seth-ma ... 202605463/
http://deadline.com/2017/11/the-orville ... 202200369/
https://www.fox.com/the-orville/article ... 0022f94f7c

I'm pretty confident.
j0rdi has received thanks from the following for this post:
satbunny
j0rdi
ShaCon
Playing: 13th Age, Cthulhu 7,
Planning: Savage Worlds! FAE! BoL! FU! TBH!

Postby simonpaulburley » 11:25am on 16 Dec 17

ANOTHER thing I caught up with recently was the annual crossover of the four DC TV series. And isn't THAT great to say!

We live in an age of miracles. All four DC series - Arrow, Flash, Supergirl, Legends of Tomorrow - are great. I've lost track with all of them recently. I got a bit fed up with the limitations of the long TV series for at that required things like:

1) characters making silly or deferred decisions to pad out an overarching plot
2) the villain of the week defeating the heroes or escaping at the end of act 2 only to be defeated in the final act.

Basically, great content spread too thin.

But I thought I'd check in with the cross over. Again the limitations of getting format stopped it being brilliant. The plot was meandering and illogical in places. There weren't enough unique bad guys to face an ARMY of heroes. Supergirl, Arrow, Flash, every single Legend of Tomorrow - including the dead one - all of Flash's sidekicks, all of Arrow's sidekicks. Plus at least one gratuitous new hero from Earth-X. What's that? 20-30 heroes?

Vs.

The Fuehrer (evil Arrow), Overgirl (Evil Supergirl), the reverse Flash, a couple of ressurected CGI models (Metallo and Red Tornado) and infinite Nazis. The bad guys never stood a chance which made the final big battle lack jeopardy.

BUT..... it didn't really matter. This was popcorn TV of the highest order. They revelled in the evil cameos and the one liners and the "what ifs". Melissa Benoit particularly chewed up the scenery as Overgirl. I bet she can't wait to get out of Supergirl so she can get into films and take Streep's crown. And the gratuitous extra hero, "Ray" from Earth X was our own Russell Tovey making playing an American Superhero look easy. We didn't need the character, he didn't do anything special. But he could easily carry his own series.

It was like eating a big bowl of trifle.

simonpaulburley
Spaghetti ConJunction

Postby ragr » 1:06pm on 16 Dec 17

I enjoyed the second season of Stranger Things; it wasn't as revelatory and surprising as the first but it held up well enough to provide a thoroughly entertaining journey through the awkward "what happened next?" conundrum.

I'm about to give up on season two of Designated Survivor I think. The first season had a usp and although it wasn't great - the competence/incompetence of investigators depending on the necessities of the plot - it was decent enough. Season 2 has lost the usp and descended into a feeble imitation of The West Wing without any of the class writing and acting. It's also horrendously twee and pathetically right on.

I'm halfway through Witnesses, an excellent French crime drama in its second season and the superb Mindhunter, focusing on the early developments in the study and formulation of serial killers, their crimes and motivations. More on those at a later date.
"He's an okay GM sometimes" - Pebsie
ragr has received thanks from the following for this post:
Pebsie, satbunny
ragr
19th-level
Playing: Trail Of Cthulhu.
Running: CoC (Curse Of Nineveh), Esoterrorists, 13th Age.
Planning: Cthulhu Confidential, Yggdrasill.

Postby Darran » 2:23pm on 16 Dec 17

simonpaulburley wrote:I finally caught up with the first episode of The Orville, now that it's finally officially, legally, available in the UK.

Where can you see this? :?:
Cheers,
Darran
-----------------------------
'A lack of planning on your part does not constitute an Emergency on my part'-http://darransims.livejournal.com/
Playing crappy characters on a whim for +35 years!
Darran has received thanks from the following for this post:
negromaestro
Darran
Dice Funder
Playing: Nothing
Running: Firefly, Supernatural.
Planning: Wilderness Throne, Tales from the Loop.

Postby satbunny » 4:56pm on 16 Dec 17

Darran wrote:
simonpaulburley wrote:I finally caught up with the first episode of The Orville, now that it's finally officially, legally, available in the UK.

Where can you see this? :?:
Fox
Just watched first one.
It's actually very good Trek, with a few comical bits, I'm going to see where it goes.

Sent from my SM-G901F using Tapatalk
Tom Zunder: tom at zunder.org.uk
satbunny has received thanks from the following for this post:
Darran, negromaestro
satbunny
The Guvnor
Playing: Symbaroum
Running: Nowt
Planning: Dolmenwood and Science Fiction

Postby maddz » 7:23pm on 16 Dec 17

Just seen The Last Jedi. Very good and not too much cute merchandising involved, so definitely worth seeing.
maddz
7th-level

Postby Pebsie » 12:25pm on 17 Dec 17

maddz wrote:Just seen The Last Jedi. Very good and not too much cute merchandising involved, so definitely worth seeing.

Pleased I wasn't the only one who saw the Porgs for the first time in the trailer and thought "oh, look, stuff for them to sell."

I've just finished watching Stranger Things S2 (very very slowly) and thought it was okay. The first series felt like an 8 hour film, this series felt like a regular TV show. The lack of Mike in favour of Dustin and Max annoyed me quite a bit, felt like a lot of fan service rather than exploring the more interesting character. I didn't hate the narrative break near the end as much as everyone else did. Super Saiyan 11 was a fantastic way to end the series.

My girlfriend came up to my university for an extended weekend and we watched too many films. To begin was Elf which it occurs to me now is the "Bee Movie" of Christmas films. It's ridiculous, and everyone involved knows it is, which makes it awesome. We also watched It's A Wonderful Life which I'd seen a couple years before (I believe I got it as a Christmas gift from my parents and it's easily one of my top five films). Francesca doesn't usually like old films and she really wasn't looking forward to this one, but her tear filled words at the end were "That wasn't that bad actually" :lol:

Finally, I've been rewatching the MCU with her. We're currently on the first Avengers. A lot of these older MCU films are blander than the newer ones but it's amazing how little I remembered of them. I always thought that The First Avenger was terrible but it actually stood out as one of the best this time around.
Receiver of questionable advice.
I make cRPGs and noises.
Pebsie has received thanks from the following for this post:
dpmcalister, ragr, satbunny
Pebsie
2nd-level

What have you seen recently?

Postby Dom » 12:50pm on 17 Dec 17

Watched Star Wars VIII: the Last Jedi with the kids and better half on Thursday night. Loved it; shades of Empire but accelerated. Some good character interplay, and one moment where I had my heart in my mouth wondering where they were going. Shame I can’t talk about it (needs a spoilers thread) but I definitely enjoyed it.

Also watched John Wick for the first time last night; I agree with Guy Milner’s assessment of this; it’s so bad it’s good. Production values are great.

Baby Driver; I missed this in the cinema and I’m so glad I picked up the DVD of this. Great action, clever script and the opening sequence (after the first heist) is brilliant. Only dark spot is the presence of Kevin Spacey, but he plays the part well. (I’m currently working on the principle that he’s a supporting actor, and that the are several hundred other people on the film!). The soundtrack is awesome.

Atomic Blonde: Oh my. It’s a fair bit different to the source comic book, but done so well. Great soundtrack again, and only one moment that jarred (they used the same location as an Avengers movie). Betrayal, violence and shenanigans in the shadow of the last days of the Berlin Wall. McEvoy and Theron are superb. The ending is a little different to the comic book (something I’d love to discuss in a spoiler thread with people who’ve seen the film and read the book).

Star Trek: Discovery: I’m enjoying this far more than I expected. Loved ST:TOS as a kid (and Satbunny is right that the refreshed version is done so well) but drifted away from it post Blakes 7 and Babylon 5 had me in that camp not DS9 or TNG. I kind of enjoyed Enterprise but wasn’t watching it regularly. I found this one has grown on me, and the darkness in it makes it a more interesting show.

Designated Survivor: Working my way though Series 2 slowly. It’s one the better half introduced me to and I enjoy it.

World War II in Colour: Been watching this on Netflix. The colourisation makes it much more shocking and horrific and real. It’s newsreel footage colourised with a narrative.

Stranger Things: I watched series 1 & 2 back to back, and really enjoyed it - perhaps because I realised I was the same age as the kids in the show. I loved this show (again it has a great soundtrack). Enough that I watched the tie in discussion series after, and I am looking forward to another part.

Valerian: Saw it at the cinema, watched it again on DVD, enjoyed it. Feels very much like the source comic books. A thing of its time.

//qThe only defense is to cease all communications. Shut all systems down, receive no messages. Further rep p p sqdr ....................//
"We live in a nuclear powered universe. We're the oddballs by getting energy from burning carbon."
James Lovelock
Dom has received thanks from the following for this post:
Darran, satbunny
Dom
9th-level

PreviousNext

Return to The Tavern