What have you seen recently?

FAQ | Search | Register | Login
View unanswered posts | View active topics | View your posts
The Gaming Tavern is a comfortable place for the discussion of fantasy, science fiction, visual, literary and in gaming. This forum is the successor to the much loved Gaming Tavern 2004-2016 RIP.

Moderator: satbunny

Re: What have you seen recently?

Postby satbunny » 12:09pm on 27 May 17

Ok, Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2, frickin' awesome 80s fun. [And he didn't say frickin']
Tom Zunder: tom at zunder.org.uk
satbunny has received thanks from the following for this post:
Dom, negromaestro, Shane
satbunny
The Guvnor
Playing: M&M, Savage Worlds
Running: Nowt
Planning: Dolmenwood 5e or TBH

Postby dpmcalister » 7:33am on 30 May 17

Assassin's Creed: My wife's read a few of the novels based on the series so fancied this and rented it on Saturday. She and my son liked it but I thought it was boring. Characters that were unlikable and a plot that made no sense. I stopped watching after 15 minutes.

Guardians of the fricking Galaxy Vol 2: absolutely brilliant. Loved every minute of the film, it's just a pity that I had to watch it at the cinema! (I hate going to the cinema: overpriced, overheated and stuffed in like sardines. The only positive is that we got complementary tickets as compensation for the AC not working.)

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge using Tapatalk
My administrator/moderator voice is RED.

UK Role Players Affiliate Schemes: Amazon :: CafePress :: DriveThruRPG :: D&D Classics :: ProFantasy :: RPGNow
Personal Links: Blog :: Flickr :: LinkedIn :: Twitter
dpmcalister has received thanks from the following for this post:
j0rdi, satbunny
dpmcalister
Administrator
Running: D&D 5e (twice!)
Planning: Pirates of the Spanish Main

Postby j0rdi » 3:57pm on 31 May 17

dpmcalister wrote:Assassin's Creed: My wife's read a few of the novels based on the series so fancied this and rented it on Saturday. She and my son liked it but I thought it was boring. Characters that were unlikable and a plot that made no sense. I stopped watching after 15 minutes.

Assassins' Creed was utter dog toffee. Waste of talent, waste of IP, waste of time. I'm struggling to think of a good vg adaptation (I thought Prince of Persia was ok, and that's about the standard...)

Speaking of assassins who put the ass into sassin, I sat through John Wick 2 this week, the slight world-building of an assassins' club was good, Common was good, the choreography was good... but so repetitive! It's just set-piece after set-piece, supposedly 'realistic' but totally unrealistic. I got bored of watching him do the same stuff over and over again. I get it, he's a BAMF, can we skip to the (ridiculously tenuous) plot now please? I watched Arahan (old S Korean movie) the same day and got annoyed that the 30mins fight at the end of that was too long, JW2 did that just about the entire movie. At least Arahan had some laughs...
j0rdi has received thanks from the following for this post:
dpmcalister, ragr
j0rdi
ShaCon
Playing: Blades in the Dark, Cthulhu 7,
Running: 1/3 http://shacon.org.uk 2? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Planning: Savage Worlds! FAE! H+I! DitV???

Postby thenovalord » 4:13pm on 31 May 17

Just watched GOTG2
Excellent romp. Loved Drax
We were the only ones in the cinema!
thenovalord has received thanks from the following for this post:
satbunny
thenovalord
The Mighty Vest
Playing: Mummys Mask, The Sprawl
Running: Ironfang Invasion
Planning: D&D 5th, Some Kickstarters

Postby negromaestro » 12:43am on 01 Jun 17

A must watch, though I have yet to watch it (blame the prep for UKGE). :lol:
Attachments
logo_wonder_woman_logo_with_sword_and_lasso.jpg
logo_wonder_woman_logo_with_sword_and_lasso.jpg (14.53 KiB) Viewed 286 times
Running 2d20 games before they turned cool
negromaestro has received thanks from the following for this post:
satbunny
negromaestro
9th-level
Playing: Warhammer 40K Dark Heresy
Running: Conan, Coriolis, Star Wars
Planning: Star Trek, Starfinder

Postby Dom » 1:00am on 08 Jun 17

I went with the better half and the kids to see Wonder Woman, which I can wholeheartedly recommend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"We live in a nuclear powered universe. We're the oddballs by getting energy from burning carbon."
James Lovelock
Dom has received thanks from the following for this post:
satbunny
Dom
8th-level

Postby thenovalord » 7:18am on 08 Jun 17

Saw WW last week. Apart from one weak bit I thought it was very very good. Never tire of the riff!
thenovalord has received thanks from the following for this post:
satbunny
thenovalord
The Mighty Vest
Playing: Mummys Mask, The Sprawl
Running: Ironfang Invasion
Planning: D&D 5th, Some Kickstarters

Postby negromaestro » 1:14pm on 15 Jun 17

Dom wrote:I went with the better half and the kids to see Wonder Woman, which I can wholeheartedly recommend.

Saw Wonder Woman (multiple times) with the ladies in my life. The Great War (World War 1 was the right retroactive continuity for the story).

"E P I C"
Attachments
poster_wonder_woman_gal_gadot.jpg
poster_wonder_woman_gal_gadot.jpg (57.56 KiB) Viewed 265 times
Running 2d20 games before they turned cool
negromaestro has received thanks from the following for this post:
satbunny
negromaestro
9th-level
Playing: Warhammer 40K Dark Heresy
Running: Conan, Coriolis, Star Wars
Planning: Star Trek, Starfinder

Postby First Age » 10:06am on 18 Jun 17

I look to be in danger of missing Wonder Woman's theatrical release, but will surely catch it anyway; a treat to look forward to.

Last night I watched 'The Frame' with my daughter. I think its length and gentle incoherence did for Erin, but I stayed engrossed and didn't meander to a browser once. If you enjoyed 'Ink' then you'll enjoy this. Although it is set out to be a commentary on the alienation from the divine, it holds up really well, more generally, as an exploration of a number of themes of inevitability, disconnection and ideas on narrative and truth.

Really well acted, some nice effects and an interesting premise. Not your most obvious SF branded film.
First Age

Come to our Sheffield RPG Convention
Furnace: http://furnace.org.uk/
I write games: http://wordplaygames.co.uk
First Age has received thanks from the following for this post:
satbunny
First Age
First Age
Planning: Heroic Fantasy

Postby satbunny » 3:56pm on 18 Jun 17

I watched Jackson's King Kong on a beach bed sipping cocktails outside projected on to a big screen on a tropical beach framed by palm trees last night. I have to say it's much better than I remembered...

Sent from my SM-G901F using Tapatalk
Tom Zunder: tom at zunder.org.uk
satbunny has received thanks from the following for this post:
dr_mitch
satbunny
The Guvnor
Playing: M&M, Savage Worlds
Running: Nowt
Planning: Dolmenwood 5e or TBH

Postby ragr » 11:20am on 06 Jul 17

We've just run through all three seasons of Bloodline. This was a family saga/drama about a locally respected family in the Florida Keys and we witness their steady unravelling through the 33 episodes. The pace is slow but suits the languid nature of the setting where the oppressive heat literally peels off the screen. It has elements of the Coen Brothers in that events gradually occur, grow, multiply and influence further crises although it has none of the imposed black humour you'd get from the Coens; it's played straight as a die although that doesn't mean you can't have the occasional chuckle at a character's absurd decision making. The acting and portrayal is pretty solid throughout from a reasonably well known cast. It also pulls that trick of having you invest in the characters and then have them do very bad or stupid things and see whether you're going to stick with them or not; sometimes the fall guys are losers, scum and criminals but they are often victims themselves. There is a fair amount of swearing but never to the point where I felt I was being asked to believe it was edgy rather than natural and pretty much all the sex is off screen; how I much value an adult approach of "you know what's going on here, there's no need to show you like we need to impress with our juvenile boundary pushing."

Some of the flashbacks used are a little disorientating, but that may be part of the point, and occasionally the story jumps forward with events having taken place off screen which on the odd occasion jars a little; we watched one episode in season 3 where we were convinced we'd skipped an episode and missed something. It was a quick recovery, however.

Overall a really excellent series that had me hooked from an early stage and fully engaged throughout. There's plenty of opportunity for between episode debate and speculation on where thing's were going and what it was all about, and who was shafting who, which is always a good sign in my house. It's on Netflix.
"He's an okay GM sometimes" - Pebsie
ragr
18th-level
Playing: Blades In The Dark.
Running: CoC (Curse Of Nineveh), Ashen Stars.
Planning: Cthulhu Confidential, Esoterrorists, 13th Age. Yggdrasill.

Postby nclarke » 11:49am on 06 Jul 17

After a load of recommendations I started to watch The Americans. Only up to episode 4 of series 1 and am hooked, actually I was hooked after episode one.

This is absolutely a must watch for anyone that is going to run or play in a Cold War game. The sheer commitment of the female agent to the cause and their confusion over the dichotomy between life in the US and a remembered life in Russia with their on-the-ground actual experience tempering their attitude to doing the job. The way that the FBI approaches eth recruitment of an agent inside the russian Embassy should give players and GMs plenty of ideas about subverting employees of the other side. The team grabbing the wife of the dead Russian gives plenty of ideas for similar situations in-game.

I recently read Andrew and Gordievsky's KGB and Andrew's Defence of the Realm covering MI5 and the way that The Americans covers the Soviet infighting and their confusion with regard to US politics is really very good indeed.
Nigel
nclarke has received thanks from the following for this post:
Dom, dr_mitch
nclarke
10th-level

Postby Dom » 12:31pm on 06 Jul 17

What is it on?

"We live in a nuclear powered universe. We're the oddballs by getting energy from burning carbon."
James Lovelock
Dom
8th-level

Postby nclarke » 3:41pm on 06 Jul 17

Amazon Prime has it currently.
Nigel
nclarke has received thanks from the following for this post:
dpmcalister
nclarke
10th-level

Postby ajevans » 8:07am on 07 Jul 17

I've watched The Americans all the way up to Season 5, it's a good watch!
ajevans
6th-level
Playing: Call of Cthulhu
Planning: Everything & nothing

PreviousNext

Return to The Tavern