What are you resisting?

FAQ | Search | Register | Login
View unanswered posts | View active topics | View your posts
The Gaming Tavern is a comfortable place for the discussion of fantasy, science fiction, visual, literary and in gaming. This forum is the successor to the much loved Gaming Tavern 2004-2016 RIP.

Moderator: satbunny

Re: What are you resisting?

Postby thenovalord » 8:22am on 01 Sep 17

Starfinder
The SRD went live yesterday. As a jaded Pathfinder player I love what they have done to the rules.
I don't like it's default setting, and from the bits of adventures I've seen it's basically dungeons in space which I'm also not keen on

It may model very well an OTT setting like GOTG
thenovalord
The Mighty Vest
Playing: Mummys Mask, The Sprawl
Running: Ironfang Invasion
Planning: D&D 5th, Some Kickstarters

Postby ajevans » 8:43am on 01 Sep 17

thenovalord wrote:Starfinder
The SRD went live yesterday. As a jaded Pathfinder player I love what they have done to the rules.
I don't like it's default setting, and from the bits of adventures I've seen it's basically dungeons in space which I'm also not keen on

It may model very well an OTT setting like GOTG

It's piqued my interest as well, but between Traveller, Star Wars and Star Trek I'm not convinced I need it.

The cartoony vibe is a bit of a turnoff and it seems squarely aimed at D20 players who want a good Sci Fi game but don't want to learn a new system.

That said I can't completely write it off in my mind and I imagine some good Adventure stuff will be published which I can adapt.
ajevans
6th-level
Playing: Call of Cthulhu
Planning: Everything & nothing

Postby Shane » 4:23pm on 01 Sep 17

ajevans wrote:
The cartoony vibe is a bit of a turnoff and it seems squarely aimed at D20 players who want a good Sci Fi game but don't want to learn a new system.

Not a small customer group, that. Well worth going after.

That said, since Dragonstar (remember that?) I don't think we've had a decent D&D in space setting that is a decent mix of magic and tech. It'll be interesting to see what kind of thought they put into the interaction between the two, and the effects on an interstellar society of having both. If they put that much thought into it.
Shane
Dice Funder
Playing: D&D 5e (quarterly-ish)
Running: D&D 5e (online weekly), Family D&D 5e (weekly-ish)
Planning: Conan 2d20 or The One Ring, mood dependant

Postby Dom » 7:59am on 23 Sep 17

I'm currently resisting the new Fria Ligan kickstarter 'The Forbidden Lands'. Stylistically it looks great, and I like the engine it has (which reminds me of Wordplay) but I already have mounds of OSR material and a suspicion that I'm not sure if I'd read this, let alone run it. That said, I've not bought any of the Scandinavian fantasy heartbreakers and resisted Shadows of Esteren.

Of, for a developed game and setting for Conspiracy of Shadows...
"We live in a nuclear powered universe. We're the oddballs by getting energy from burning carbon."
James Lovelock
Dom has received thanks from the following for this post:
First Age
Dom
8th-level

Postby ragr » 8:54am on 23 Sep 17

Traveller second edition is on my non-essential, pick up if seen for a bargain price list, and it's meeting my price point on a certain online store. But, I've resisted for over a month now. What's holding me back?
"He's an okay GM sometimes" - Pebsie
ragr has received thanks from the following for this post:
Dom
ragr
18th-level
Playing: Blades In The Dark.
Running: CoC (Curse Of Nineveh), Ashen Stars.
Planning: Cthulhu Confidential, Esoterrorists, 13th Age. Yggdrasill.

Postby Dom » 9:11am on 23 Sep 17

Steely determination.

Or Zhodani mind control.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"We live in a nuclear powered universe. We're the oddballs by getting energy from burning carbon."
James Lovelock
Dom has received thanks from the following for this post:
ragr
Dom
8th-level

Postby nclarke » 10:42am on 23 Sep 17

I'm finding resisting buying stuff is a bit easier if I assess my opportunities to play/run the game. Lot's of the new stuff coming out on KS falls into the "nice but when will I run it?" box. I have material roughed out or planned for many of the cons I plan to attend next year, eg some Cthulhu for Contingency, PbtA games for Revelation etc. That way I can see what I have blocked out making it much easier to say I'm not buying that or that. The local clubs (Bournemouth and Southampton) have very different groups of players so I can run things at one that won't get any take up at the other thus always being able to be in my zone and never (well, hardly ever) tempted by shiny, new games.

I've come to realise that KS only works for me as a way of getting something special that is KS only as almost 90% of the games don't get released anywhere near the original estimated delivery date and very often the pdf's (which is what I normally go for) are usually available soon after completion as a Bundle of Holding, Humble Bundle or discounted on DTRPG for less than a KS pledge would have been.
Nigel
nclarke has received thanks from the following for this post:
j0rdi, ragr
nclarke
10th-level

Postby ragr » 11:18am on 23 Sep 17

Dom wrote:Steely determination.
Or Zhodani mind control.

I've just read your review - totally missed it up until now. I have a question over there.
"He's an okay GM sometimes" - Pebsie
ragr
18th-level
Playing: Blades In The Dark.
Running: CoC (Curse Of Nineveh), Ashen Stars.
Planning: Cthulhu Confidential, Esoterrorists, 13th Age. Yggdrasill.

Postby satbunny » 11:24am on 27 Sep 17

If a shiny KS comes along I tip them 10 KR or $1 and then walk away, the impulse to spend spend spend assuaged.
If I come back I remind myself it will be in the stores in 2 years, and I have no gaming slots anyway.
If I come back, I probably want it. So I have a word with myself.
If I come back, EFF IT, SPEND SPEND SPEND
Tom Zunder: tom at zunder.org.uk
satbunny has received thanks from the following for this post:
dr_mitch
satbunny
The Guvnor
Playing: M&M, Savage Worlds
Running: Nowt
Planning: Dolmenwood 5e or TBH

Previous

Return to The Tavern