What have you read recently?

FAQ | Search | Register | Login
View unanswered posts | View active topics | View your posts
The Gaming Tavern is a comfortable place for the discussion of fantasy, science fiction, visual, literary and in gaming. This forum is the successor to the much loved Gaming Tavern 2004-2016 RIP.

Moderator: satbunny

Re: What have you read recently?

Postby maddz » 1:30pm on 21 Jan 18

Don't forget to check out the Flavia Albia series as well - Falco's adopted daughter set in the reign of Domitian.
maddz has received thanks from the following for this post:
satbunny
maddz
7th-level

Postby dr_mitch » 1:36pm on 21 Jan 18

maddz wrote:Don't forget to check out the Flavia Albia series as well - Falco's adopted daughter set in the reign of Domitian.

Nice. Lots for me to read!
dr_mitch has received thanks from the following for this post:
satbunny
dr_mitch
dr_mitch
Playing: Esoterrorists, Unknown Armies, Cthulhu Invictus
Running: D&D 5e, The One Ring
Planning: Lots. Always.

Postby Dom » 4:39pm on 21 Jan 18

I enjoyed the first Witcher book. I need to get my Kindle back from the eldest lad to read some more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"We live in a nuclear powered universe. We're the oddballs by getting energy from burning carbon."
James Lovelock
Dom
9th-level

Postby satbunny » 6:00pm on 21 Jan 18

Read the short stories first
Tom Zunder: tom at zunder.org.uk
satbunny has received thanks from the following for this post:
Dom
satbunny
The Guvnor
Playing: Symbaroum
Running: Nowt
Planning: Dolmenwood and Science Fiction

Postby Dom » 7:11pm on 21 Jan 18

I did.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"We live in a nuclear powered universe. We're the oddballs by getting energy from burning carbon."
James Lovelock
Dom
9th-level

Postby maddz » 9:02pm on 26 Jan 18

Hrolf Kraki’s Saga, by Poul Anderson (originally published in 1973)

Another from the Gateway sale, the paperback has long been in my library. This is Anderson’s take on the varied sources for the story. Similar to many other sagas (I saw similarities to Njal’s Saga at the end), this is a story about the fortunes and misfortunes of the Danish Scylding dynasty. Well-written, but it’s more of a novel than a saga so it might not be to everyone’s taste.

Recommended.
satbunny
maddz
7th-level

Postby satbunny » 10:40pm on 26 Jan 18

maddz wrote:Hrolf Kraki’s Saga, by Poul Anderson (originally published in 1973)

Another from the Gateway sale, the paperback has long been in my library. This is Anderson’s take on the varied sources for the story. Similar to many other sagas (I saw similarities to Njal’s Saga at the end), this is a story about the fortunes and misfortunes of the Danish Scylding dynasty. Well-written, but it’s more of a novel than a saga so it might not be to everyone’s taste.

Recommended.
I do like Poul Anderson's style

Sent from my SM-G901F using Tapatalk
satbunny
The Guvnor

Postby maddz » 12:46pm on 27 Jan 18

satbunny wrote:I do like Poul Anderson's style

Still got Three Hearts and Three Lions to be read, but probably not for a while as it’s on the Icarus having been sourced from Humblebundle (IIRC) not Amazon. I’m currently reading the first Inspector Montalban and a romance novel.
Dom, satbunny
maddz
7th-level

Postby maddz » 10:10pm on 30 Jan 18

The Tenant of Chesdene Manor, by Alice Chetwynd Ley

A Regency romance I’ve owned in paperback for many years finally released as an ebook.

Miss Diana Chalfont lives in the country at the family seat with her widowed mother. Their cousin has inherited the title, but because the family passion for gaming the entire family are in straitened circumstances. Sir Sidney has permitted Diana and her mother to remain at the Manor, and even to let out the rest and keep the income. A single gentleman takes the tenancy, and after various twists turns out to be the long-lost heir to the baronetcy, and, more importantly is wealthy.

Not quite as deft as Georgette Heyer, but an enjoyable read with no glaring anachronisms.

The Shape of Water, by Andrea Camilleri (Inspector Montalban 1)

I got the first 8 Montalban books as a recent Amazon Big Deal.

An interesting read, my only reservation is the staccato writing style - which may be down to the translation (I had the same problem with Valerio Massimo Manfredi). Not so much a whodunnit but more was this a murder? I’ll push on with the series, but I suspect it will pall.
satbunny
maddz
7th-level

Postby satbunny » 8:33pm on 31 Jan 18

That Chesdene book has resonances with Downtown, n'est Pas?

Nice to hear that gaming was as expensive in those days. Did they buy all of Vampire from White Wolf?

satbunny
The Guvnor

Postby maddz » 9:02pm on 31 Jan 18

More like the other way round. My original paperback was published in 1980! I think I must have acquired it some time in the early 80s when I was living in London judging by the store stamp inside. I'm not sure a passion for extravagant gambling counts as gaming in the modern sense! Sorry, no mention of vampires in this one (too early for Stoker) but I suppose someone who made their fortune in India could count as a prototype for The Moonstone...

Anyway, next up is The Avram Davidson Treasury. Started reading it on the train today, and now I'm jobless I'll have a bit more time - although I've just downloaded Avernum 3 and will be playing a lot in the near future.
satbunny
maddz
7th-level

Postby satbunny » 5:20pm on 01 Feb 18

Resonances work both ways

satbunny
The Guvnor

Postby LTD » 8:50am on 04 Feb 18

Currently reading William Gibson's "Sprawl" trilogy. I have read it before but I'm doing it in a concentrated burst, one after the other, which I think might be the best way to get the full effect. 50% of the way through Count Zero, so pretty much at the half way point of the series.
LTD has received thanks from the following for this post:
satbunny
LTD
4th-level
Playing: boardgames
Running: 2300AD, 3:16
Planning: 1940s Call of Cthulhu, Remember Tomorrow

Postby satbunny » 12:19pm on 04 Feb 18

LTD wrote:Currently reading William Gibson's "Sprawl" trilogy. I have read it before but I'm doing it in a concentrated burst, one after the other, which I think might be the best way to get the full effect. 50% of the way through Count Zero, so pretty much at the half way point of the series.
Still good?

satbunny
The Guvnor

Postby maddz » 1:04pm on 04 Feb 18

Well, it took longer than expected but finished The Avram Davidson Treasury.

This is a collection of nearly 40 short stories that span Davidson’s career from the 50s to the 90s. He wrote widely across the pulp markets, but most of this collection come from either the SFF or the mystery markets. Even so, his erudition can make categorising his fiction difficult - there’s an element of the fantastic in what seems to be a straight-forward hard-boiled mystery, and his science fiction and fantasy often use mystery tropes. I hesitate to use the term ‘magical realism’ because more often than not the magic lies in Davidson’s writing talent and eye for details of language and setting.

This is a collection best sipped in small quantities; I started reading it on the commute and finished while laid up with flu. Some of the stories are collected elsewhere; but there were many that were new to me, especially ones from the mystery markets. There was only one I didn’t like - Selectra Six-Ten, mostly because I didn’t like the style. Others well what can I say but buy this, read it, and enjoy it?

I can’t recommend Davidson enough as a writer; this collection is a well-deserved tribute to an unacknowledged grandmaster.
satbunny
maddz
7th-level

PreviousNext

Return to The Tavern