What have you read recently?

FAQ | Search | Register | Login
View unanswered posts | View active topics | View your posts
The Gaming Tavern is a comfortable place for the discussion of fantasy, science fiction, visual, literary and in gaming. This forum is the successor to the much loved Gaming Tavern 2004-2016 RIP.

Moderator: satbunny

Re: What have you read recently?

Postby satbunny » 10:08am on 21 Nov 16

Dom wrote:We always used to make suggestions and comments back when the Tavern wasn't the snug for UKRP. ;-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And I am sure we shall continue to do so in a friendly fashion.
Tom Zunder: tom at zunder.org.uk
satbunny has received thanks from the following for this post:
Dom
satbunny
The Guvnor
Playing: M&M, Savage Worlds
Running: Nowt
Planning: Dolmenwood 5e or TBH

Postby GB Steve » 8:22pm on 22 Nov 16

satbunny wrote:China appears as a character?

Sort of. It's philosophy but told in a mythical way, China's brand of realism is counterposed to Harman's when they are abandoned together on a oil rig.
GB Steve has received thanks from the following for this post:
satbunny
GB Steve
Dice Funder

Postby Dom » 8:58pm on 19 Dec 16

# Books in October and November 2016
I didn’t manage any books in October; a mixture of work and gaming conventions got in the way. November wasn’t too bad though.

## *On Stranger Tides* (Tim Powers)
Apparently this was some influence on the fourth *Pirates of the Carribean* film, and I can believe that. It’s a glorious voodoo zombie pirate chaotic mess with magic, battles, love and rivalry. I enjoyed it, although it has to be said that Tim Powers is one of those authors I can’t read a lot of in a row; there’s something in his style that means that it’s a rare treat for me.

## *Everything Belongs to the Future* (Laurie Penny)
I don’t always agree with the point of view that she has, but Laurie Penny always produces interesting journalism. This novella is her first SF story and quite enjoyable; set in a climate changed dystopian future, where drugs exist that prolong life potentially indefinitely but are only available to the elite, the tale focuses on a group of activists opposed to the gerontocracy that has come into existence. It also draws upon the ethics of infiltration and surveillance of such groups. The book is well written and worth the time, and I am looking forward to future stories from the author.

## *Pawn of Prophecy* (David Eddings)
I’m not sure why[^1], but I suddenly had an urge to re-read the Belgariad, something that I haven’t done in perhaps two decades. I remember reading the first two books all too well when I had just started secondary school, and then reading them again, and again as the next parts came out. I downloaded the first part on my Kindle and found myself hooked. I was surprised how easy the book was to read; the characters may all sound the same, but the plot and energy draw you through.

The first book covers the adventures of the boy Garion, with his Aunt Pol, as they are forced to leave the farm where he grew up. Very soon it becomes apparent that the assumptions that Garion has grown up with are untrue, and he has become a ‘pawn of prophecy’.

## *Queen of Sorcery* (David Eddings)
Second book of the Belgariad. This one sees Garion and his companions head south, into lands full of romantic Knights opposed by noble archers, an Imperial capital and, finally, a kingdom of snake worshippers led by the Queen in the book’s title. Garion becomes more aware of his inheritance and powers, and the group of companions around him grows to align more with the prophecy. The story riffs on stereotypes and analogies to the history of our world, but continues at a pace that draws you on.

## *Dr Pretorius and the Lost Temple* (Paul McAuley)
An older short story by Paul McAuley, set in Victorian London. Mr Caryle is an expert in the dead and ghosts, who meets Isambard Kingdom Brunel at a seance and ends up pitted in a desperate struggle with the evil Dr Pretorius. Steampunk fun.

## *Prisoners of the Action* (Paul McAuley & Kim Newman)
Another short story. The aliens came and tried to conquer Earth, but they were defeated. The survivors, prisoners-of-war, have been incarcerated on a British island with an American airbase. Captain Franklin Dice arrives, in conjunction with a Senator on a mission, with the intent on interrogating the POWs but soon finds that all is not what it seems. A little tongue in cheek and amusing, and really quite fun.

[^1]: I think it may be because of all the OSR gaming material that I have been reading recently; that and commenting on Graham Spearing’s new fantasy RPG draft.
"We live in a nuclear powered universe. We're the oddballs by getting energy from burning carbon."
James Lovelock
Dom has received thanks from the following for this post:
satbunny, The Crypt Keeper
Dom
8th-level

Postby Peanut » 2:08pm on 20 Dec 16

Due to a charity shop find of seven Dresden Files books and a quick visit to Abe Books on t'web to complete the collection I've just started book 1. Something I've been meaning to do for a long time.
Peanut has received thanks from the following for this post:
dr_mitch, satbunny
Peanut
11th-level
Playing: Pathfinder
Running: Nothing, zilch, nada
Planning: Star Wars Edge of the Empire

Postby Shane » 7:47pm on 20 Dec 16

Peanut wrote:Due to a charity shop find of seven Dresden Files books and a quick visit to Abe Books on t'web to complete the collection I've just started book 1. Something I've been meaning to do for a long time.

Book 4 is where it really finds its stride, but it's a good series.

Shane
Shane has received thanks from the following for this post:
Peanut, satbunny
Shane
Dice Funder
Playing: D&D 5e (quarterly-ish)
Running: D&D 5e (online weekly), Unknown Armies (F2F weekly)
Planning: Nothing specific

Postby maddz » 5:31am on 21 Dec 16

I got the first 2 in a Kindle deal earlier this year and wasn't that impressed. However, I'm told the series improves with later books so if others turn up in a deal I may continue reading. Personally, I preferred the Garrett PI series by Glen Cook.
maddz has received thanks from the following for this post:
satbunny
maddz
6th-level

Postby satbunny » 9:27pm on 04 Jan 17

Great bargain in FP sale

Sadly volume 2 had gone

Posted by C4-D4RS on the MetroLiberal HoloNet
Tom Zunder: tom at zunder.org.uk
satbunny
The Guvnor
Playing: M&M, Savage Worlds
Running: Nowt
Planning: Dolmenwood 5e or TBH

Postby maddz » 10:29pm on 08 Jan 17

Got a free copy of Samarkand by Graham Diamond recently and tried to read it. Gave up in digust for the following reasons:

The main female lead was called Princess Sharon. I kept expecting her to be wearing skin-tight jeans and white stilettos...
    Male characters had more-or-less middle eastern names. Females, on the other hand - well, Princess Sharon, somebody's deceased sister called Iona, and I gave up when Carolyn put in an appearance...
    Did Huns actually practice siege warfare? And did they actually meet a flourishing Islamic state at Samarkhand?
    The Steppes appeared to be a mountainous region...
    The Islamic priest character was alternately referred to as a mullah or a mad monk... (Rah, rah, Rasputin!)
    The over-blown writing style. Tolerable in a Robert E Howard Conan short story, but unacceptable in a long novel.

I know it's meant to be a fantasy, but there were far too many breaks in immersion for me, so I gave up.

The other freebie I picked up was Vera Nazerian's Cobweb Bride (https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cobweb-Bride-T ... players-21). Very good, set in a pseudo-mittel European world, it tells the story of what happens when Death no longer takes lives (and this includes plants and animals). On the strength of this first book, I've got the omnibus (https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cobweb-Bride-C ... players-21). (The omnibus is cheaper than buying the 3 volumes separately, even with the first book still being free.)
dr_mitch, satbunny
maddz
6th-level

Postby maddz » 11:27am on 12 Jan 17

Finished The Quintaglio Ascension trilogy by Robert J Sawyer after picking up the Kobo freebie for book 1 (Far-Seer, Fossil Hunter and Foreigner). A great read. Basically, the premise is intelligent dinosaurs going through their version of the Age of Enlightenment with the added complication that they have to get off-world before the world is destroyed.

Far-Seer riffs off Galileo
    Fossil Hunter riffs off Darwin
    Foreigner riffs off Columbus and Captain Cook

I'd love to see more of the Quintaglios' story.
satbunny
maddz
6th-level

Postby maddz » 9:33pm on 14 Jan 17

Diana Pharoah Francis: Trace of Magic. First of a series it seems. Basically a paranormal romance without vampires, elves or shapeshifters, just magic. Not bad for what I paid for it (99p); if any sequel is the same price (or less), I might go for it.

Vera Nazerian: the Cobweb Bride trilogy. The first was a freebie; the others were a bit more. An interesting read although the quality slipped somewhat in the second and third volumes. Sort of a historical urban fantasy but started sliding into a paranormal romance (without the smutty bits). Also, some of the writing was a little uneven; this may be because English was not originally her mother tongue.
satbunny
maddz
6th-level

Postby maddz » 9:55pm on 16 Jan 17

Lee Killough: the Garreth Mikalian trilogy (Blood Walk, Blood Links and Blood Hunt), and Wilding Nights. All are paranormal police procedurals, the Garreth Mikalians featuring a lone vampire cop, Wilding Nights a werewolf cop and her pack, many of whom are cops too. I felt the Garreth Mikalians worked better (and were more believable) than Wilding Nights (probably why there's only been the one).

Effectively they're all hunts for serial killers with the added complication of keeping the paranormal secret. Blood Walk is the hunt for the vampire that turned Garreth Mikalian, Blood Links is the hunt for a killer who believes that the vampire is around still, and Blood Links is the hunt for a wanna-be vampire, Wilding Nights is the hunt for a killer that turns out to be a rogue werewolf (without revealing the existence of werewolves). All are set in the US - the Garreth Mikalians are set in San Francisco and Kansas, Wilding Nights in a Texas Gulf Coast town.

Enjoyable if you like that kind of genre cross-over. I assume the procedural bits are relatively accurate! They seemed to hang together but I'm not an expert on US police procedure.
satbunny
maddz
6th-level

Postby maddz » 9:05am on 24 Jan 17

Just finished Lest Darkness Fall & Related Stories by L Sprague de Camp and others. This is the ebook published by Arc Manor (http://www.phoenixpick.com) which includes some related short stories written by others. Effectively it's A Connecticut Yankee in the Court of King Arthur but written as time travel science fiction. Stylistically, it's very much of it's day, so female characters are walk-on only and are limited to the tart with a heart, the girl next door and Lady Macbeth.

Basically, the hero (an archaologist) is struck by a bolt of lightning by The Pantheon in 1936 and transported back in time to around 530 AD. Here he introduces various modern inventions - distillation, double-entry bookkeeping and Arabic numerals, the printing press and the semaphore telegraph - to the Gothic kingdom, defeats Belisarius, and generally keeps the Roman Empire from collapse thereby turning the story from time travel to alternate history.

In some ways I found this story to be more believable than 1632 in that the hero is not very heroic, but less believable in that he had the technical knowledge to create a working printing press and just happened to know double entry bookkeeping. I'll grant distillation, spyglasses and Arabic numerals and the germ theory...
satbunny
maddz
6th-level

Postby maddz » 9:21am on 01 Feb 17

Re-read the Chronicles of the Kencyrath series by P C Hodgell. Books 1-3 were published back in the 90s, along with the collection of short stories, books 4-7 have been published more recently (Pat had problems with publishers - she was one of the Meisha Merlin authors, and she only went back to writing when Baen picked her up and she retired). The series comprises:

1 Godstalk
2 Dark of the Moon
3 Seeker's Mask
4 To Ride a Rathorn
5 Bound in Blood
6 Honor's Paradox
7 Sea of Time
8 The Gates of Tagmeth forthcoming
Blood and Ivory: A Collection

I can't rate these highly enough; the world-building is top-notch and I love the heroine and her (mis-)adventures. (I keep thinking there's enough detail to use the books as a RPG setting, but I think you'd run into the usual Mary-Sue problems of literary adaptations.) Everytime I re-read these, I keep finding new details to savour. I suspect had Godstalk been first published in the past few years, the series would have been branded as YA given it's something of a bildungsroman, but to my mind that would do little justice to the quality of the writing and the complexity of the moral choices.

Oh, and ignore the Clyde Caldwell covers on the later ones - for a heroine who is frequently mistaken for a boy, the model has way too obvious a balcon...

Roughly, the story is about the Kencyrath, 3 races forged into a weapon by the 3-faced god some 30,000 years ago to combat an evil entity from outside the 'Chain of Creation' and promptly (apparently) abandoned by said god... The Kencyrath have been fighting a rear-guard action ever since, retreating from each world in turn. They arrived in the current world, Rathillien, about 3,000 years ago. The story starts with the heroine arriving back on Rathillien after spending time on the previous world after being driven out by her father when she was 7. She is trying to rejoin her twin brother (now some 10 years older due to time differences) and the rest of the Kencyrath. Once she does so, she's trying to fit in; given she may be the Nemesis (she's certainly a Nemesis), this causes problems. (The evil entity can only be defeated by 3 individuals each embodying one aspect of their god - Destruction, Preservation and Creation.)
satbunny
maddz
6th-level

Postby maddz » 8:52pm on 01 Feb 17

L Sprague de Camp The Arrows of Hercules.

One of the historical novels in the ebook bundle published by Phoenix Picks. It seems to be a sequel of sorts to The Dragon of the Ishtar Gate; characters in the latter are mentioned in the former. Like Lest Darkness Fall, the writing is very much of it's time, with female characters being relegated to supporting roles; however, I can accept that given the historical setting of the novel - the Greek cities of Classical Sicily, specifically at the time of Dionysos I of Syracuse at the time of his war with Carthage (397-392 BC). (When I get home, I shall have to dig out Gillian Bradshaw's The Sand Reckoner and compare the two.)

The main character is a Greek engineer who takes a position working in Dionysos' inventors workshop, and builds the first catapult. A well-written, workman-like novel. On the strength of that, I've ordered a copy of Ancient Engineers as Harry Turtledove in the introduction recommends it as a useful reference book.
satbunny
maddz
6th-level

Postby maddz » 2:15pm on 03 Feb 17

Michaela Roessner Vanishing Point

I got the ebook in an Amazon deal last year, thinking I hadn't read it. When I started reading it, I realised I had; but whether I formerly owned it or borrowed it from the library I can't remember. It's currently in an Amazon deal at the moment.

The story is set in the Winchester Mystery House 30 years after 90% of humanity has inexplicably vanished, and follows a group of survivors and their offspring resident in the House. It's a bit of an odd story - you start out thinking it's a standard post-apocalyptic survivor story but it soon veers into a time slip / parallel universe story as one of the threads deals with trying to find out exactly what happened. To me, it's a bit Primeval meets Time Storm (Gordon R Dickson). Others may see it as being more like S M Stirling's Dies The Fire series (but without the SCA involved and electricity still works).

I still can't decide whether I like the story or not; it's not hard SF by any means and I didn't find it very compelling. At least as an ebook it doesn't take up space on my overloaded shelves.
satbunny
maddz
6th-level

PreviousNext

Return to The Tavern