What RPG have you read recently?

FAQ | Search | Register | Login
View unanswered posts | View active topics | View your posts
The Gaming Tavern is a comfortable place for the discussion of fantasy, science fiction, visual, literary and in gaming. This forum is the successor to the much loved Gaming Tavern 2004-2016 RIP.

Moderator: satbunny

Postby Dom » 9:58pm on 29 Mar 17

Just finished reading Crypts of Indormancy, which definitely has potential. OSR scenario set in a Tomb up on a glacier. Moorcockian echoes; reminds me of the Hydra Collective material.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by Dom on 12:04am on 30 Mar 17, edited 1 time in total.
"We live in a nuclear powered universe. We're the oddballs by getting energy from burning carbon."
James Lovelock
Dom
8th-level

Re: What RPG have you read recently?

Postby Dom » 12:04am on 30 Mar 17

Just finished reading Ruins of the Undercity, another OSR book. Really nice solo campaign generator with a decent bestiary and interesting items. There's also good stuff for downtime and shopping in the city. Labyrinth Lord flavour OSR.

//qThe only defense is to cease all communications. Shut all systems down, receive no messages. Further rep p p sqdr ....................//
"We live in a nuclear powered universe. We're the oddballs by getting energy from burning carbon."
James Lovelock
Dom
8th-level

Postby satbunny » 11:24am on 30 Mar 17

Solo as in me myself I alone, or one player campaign?
Tom Zunder: tom at zunder.org.uk
satbunny
The Guvnor
Playing: M&M, Savage Worlds
Running: Nowt
Planning: Dolmenwood 5e or TBH

Postby dr_mitch » 2:33pm on 30 Mar 17

I've just started reading Eclipse Phase. Holy cow, what a fictional setting! I'm not sure how successful I'd be likely to be in bringing it to the table and getting everyone on board, though it did well and hit the high concepts in some convention games I've played in.

So it's possible. But whether I'm able to bring it out or not, it's a great read.
dr_mitch has received thanks from the following for this post:
Dom, lost barbarian, satbunny
dr_mitch
dr_mitch
Playing: Ashen Stars
Running: The One Ring
Planning: Lots. Always.

Postby Dom » 2:40pm on 30 Mar 17

satbunny wrote:Solo as in me myself I alone, or one player campaign?

Myself alone.

Procedurally generated dungeon, like the old ones in the DMG. Most monsters have tactics listed, and it's designed for a single player/GM. The kind of thing you could take on a business trip to spin some characters through some levels to get background and experience.

//qThe only defense is to cease all communications. Shut all systems down, receive no messages. Further rep p p sqdr ....................//
James Lovelock
Dom has received thanks from the following for this post:
satbunny
Dom
8th-level

Postby Dom » 2:46pm on 30 Mar 17

As the youngest is ill, have had the chance to read a few more PDFs:

The Price of Evil - card based quick generation of a haunted house by the same guy who designed Scenic Dunnsmouth. OSR again, the kind of thing you could mine for ideas or just as a low prep scenario.

Rampaging Monsters - again by the same author and OSR. Part of GM's emergency kit; quick generation for a monster, its motivations and the places that it threatens to give an evening of fun...

James Lovelock
satbunny
Dom
8th-level

Postby lost barbarian » 11:03pm on 30 Mar 17

dr_mitch wrote:I've just started reading Eclipse Phase. Holy cow, what a fictional setting! I'm not sure how successful I'd be likely to be in bringing it to the table and getting everyone on board, though it did well and hit the high concepts in some convention games I've played in.

So it's possible. But whether I'm able to bring it out or not, it's a great read.

You missed Arkat's earlier campaign! :-)
We only scratched the surface of the setting, and a lot more scenarios have been published since then.
I'm keen that this gets another outing, unfortunately that's probably four games away. :o
lost barbarian has received thanks from the following for this post:
dr_mitch
lost barbarian
2nd-level
Playing: The Laundry
Running: Nothing
Planning: Barbarians of Lemuria

Postby First Age » 10:17pm on 31 Mar 17

I'm reading The Veil, the mesmerising PbtA cyberpunk game.

Picking up the lost barbarian's theme, I'd like to run it, but will need to be an online game (oh, the irony) or at a convention. Revelation 2018 can't come quickly enough.
First Age

Come to our Sheffield RPG Convention
Furnace: http://furnace.org.uk/
I write games: http://wordplaygames.co.uk
First Age has received thanks from the following for this post:
satbunny
First Age
First Age
Planning: Heroic Fantasy

Postby Dom » 10:20pm on 31 Mar 17

Jack in , boot up and run against that ice...

James Lovelock
satbunny
Dom
8th-level

Postby Dom » 9:02pm on 01 May 17

Just finished reading this; nasty little OSR scenario that fits the LotFP horror theme nicely. Good for a one shot I think, or as a throw in for an ongoing campaign.

Should #cuisplay this with a cheeseboard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
James Lovelock
Dom
8th-level

Postby dr_mitch » 3:33pm on 13 May 17

I got hold of the Dark Matter setting again. It's 1990s tastic (yeah, I know it came out around 2001, but still); I'd have to run the as a period piece rather than in the modern day. And I'd almost certainly use GUMSHOE to do it. It's also very US centric, which I didn't remember. It's still fun, but not as fresh as I remember, but could produce some fun weirdness, though it's far less coherent than something like Delta Green or Esoterrorists.

It's a grab bag of stuff, and some of it's still cool. Though I wonder if I'm a bit put off modernish conspiracy stuff by the internet and coming across people who genuinely believe that sort of nonsense.

On a completely different note, I've also bought and largely read Icons Assembled edition. It's an amazingly good game, looking to be fun to set up and run, and it tempts me. But it's also for a genre (cartoon super heroes) that doesn't much interest me. And many of the cool bits are quite strongly tied to that genre. But I'm still torn because it looks really good, and pretty easy to get up and going.
dr_mitch has received thanks from the following for this post:
dpmcalister
dr_mitch
dr_mitch
Playing: Ashen Stars
Running: The One Ring
Planning: Lots. Always.

Postby dpmcalister » 3:53pm on 13 May 17

I've pulled out the D&D 5e Starter Set as I'm running it for my co-workers (only one of whom has ever role played before). Should be fun. Certainly, it'll be interesting to see how they approach certain things in the adventure.

dr_mitch wrote:On a completely different note, I've also bought and largely read Icons Assembled edition. It's an amazingly good game, looking to be fun to set up and run, and it tempts me. But it's also for a genre (cartoon super heroes) that doesn't much interest me. And many of the cool bits are quite strongly tied to that genre. But I'm still torn because it looks really good, and pretty easy to get up and going.

Like you, I'm not a super hero RPG fan (sorry Simon), but one of my group used this rules set to GM her first ever game and I really liked it. We only played two sessions but I'm really hopeful that she'll run some more in the future.
My administrator/moderator voice is RED.

UK Role Players Affiliate Schemes: Amazon :: CafePress :: DriveThruRPG :: D&D Classics :: ProFantasy :: RPGNow
Personal Links: Blog :: Flickr :: LinkedIn :: Twitter
dpmcalister has received thanks from the following for this post:
dr_mitch
dpmcalister
Administrator
Playing: Angel (home), Night's Black Agents (online)
Running: D&D (home and work)
Planning: Pirates of the Spanish Main (work)

Postby Dom » 4:28pm on 13 May 17

I finished reading "Veins of the Earth" this week, which was superb.

I described it elsewhere as "A fantastic book with lots to steal. Makes you think a little differently. More like the underground adventures in RQ2/3 than D&D. Terrifying and beautiful. Book is gorgeous too. Great art and layout and very high quality."

I then went in a more gonzo direction by reading the PDF of "MORTZENGERSTURM", a scenario about a manticore wizard and his lair at the top of the prismatic peak. It looks like a fun scenario for a one shot. It's has 5e stats but, as Dr Mitch would put it, D&D is a language, yes? It reminded me in some ways of "Blood in the Chocolate", although that treats itself a little more seriously.

James Lovelock
dr_mitch
Dom
8th-level

Postby Dom » 11:30am on 26 Jul 17

Just finished reading "Beyond the Wall", which is a low fantasy D&D clone that claims to focus on the kind of stories that Ursula K Le Guin and Susan Cooper write. That coloured me interested straight away. I'd seen a reference to it on a blog somewhere, and picked up the PDF packages. I didn't go with the book in hardcover, as it was £28 before postage and that was on the high side to jump straight in. There's a Fictoplasm podcast episode on this, interesting & entertaining but didn't give me enough to make a buying decision.

The system is a simple retro-clone. Core book has Warrior/Rogue/Mage as classes. These are nuanced in playbooks. The playbooks are great - they have the USP that you create an background and - what Dungeon World would call bonds - relationships with the other players and your village. Magic is significantly different. Splits into Cantrips, Spells and Rituals. Cantrips need a check - if you fail you cannot cast any other magic until you rest. Spells are very like D&D but not level limited. You are purely limited by the number you can cast. Rituals are powerful magicks. They take time and preparation, and usually need components and more to work. They always work, but will go bad in some way if you fail your check. They have levels and you cannot cast until you are at the right level. Book contains a scenario pack for semi-improvised play. Feels appropriate. Definitely built so you can start and run a game on the fly.

Overall impressions: Simple system (but the range of modifiers make it more fussy than advantage/disadvantage mechanic) which will be easy to teach or for anyone that has played D&D to pick up. Magic has a unique feel. Playbooks are great. Some good expansions available. Worth it. Hits the style that it aims for. Need to play this.

tl;dr low fantasy D&D retro-clone built for improvisational play with starting characters in a world of unknowns. I liked it enough that I bought the hardcover after I'd read the PDF.
James Lovelock
First Age, ragr
Dom
8th-level

Previous

Return to The Tavern