What RPG have you read recently?

FAQ | Search | Register | Login
View unanswered posts | View active topics | View your posts
The Gaming Tavern is a comfortable place for the discussion of fantasy, science fiction, visual, literary and in gaming. This forum is the successor to the much loved Gaming Tavern 2004-2016 RIP.

Moderator: satbunny

Postby satbunny » 10:38pm on 17 Nov 16

As it says, not what you just bought or ran, but read... So kind of pre play thumbnail reviews.

Sent from my SM-G901F using Tapatalk
Tom Zunder: tom at zunder.org.uk
satbunny
The Guvnor
Playing: Symbaroum
Running: Nowt
Planning: Dolmenwood and Science Fiction

Re: What RPG have you read recently?

Postby nclarke » 10:19am on 18 Nov 16

I've been reading through Cubicle 7's World War Cthulhu - Cold War. I had the pdf some months back and read it through and even ran a game at Expo last year but now that I have teh actual book in my hands I'm reading through it again.

It's quite a thick book, 240 pages between hard covers and the layout and style are similar to that of Darkest Hour giving a corporate look to their World War Cthulhu range. The book is split into four parts, an Introduction covering a brief history of the Cold war,various Intelligence agencies and Section 46 the part of British Intelligence run by our old friend 'N' who headed up the SOE section for the occult in WW2.

The second section covers changes to character generation for this new period and follows the WW2 book and Call of Cthulhu 7e in providing background options for the PC's as well as conversion details for Darkest Hour investigators and 6e Call of Cthulhu Investigators. The third section is information for the Keeper providing details on various theatres and also covering the Mythos plus plenty of useful advice and help in dealing with things like Covert Actions as well as short biographies on notable allies and enemies and ending with a short breakdown of weapons and equipment.

Part Four is the campaign that seems to be a necessary inclusion in every core rulebook nowadays and is set in Istanbul and involves a defection of a Soviet agent. This is sixty pages of very informative and entertaining writing by Matt Sanderson and gives an excellent primer to a World War Cthulhu - Cold War game.

There is a separate players book also available that I'm just starting, Section 46 and that is a 128 page softback. It covers everything that an intelligence operative should have picked up during training and deals with Communications, Networks, Field Ops, Surveillance, Covert Ops and Personal Violence. There are four pregenerated characters and a section covering special weapons to round out the 128 pages.

Parts of the Kickstarter that I have yet to receive is a campaign, Yesterday's Men, the US agent's book, Our American Cousins, and a supplement, Covert Actions, with campaign hooks, missions and details of allies and other things likely to contribute to paranoia on the part of players.
Nigel
nclarke has received thanks from the following for this post:
BenQ, Dom, ragr, satbunny
nclarke
10th-level

Postby ragr » 2:20pm on 18 Nov 16

Uppsala for Yggdrasill. It, quite naturally, covers the "city" in some minor detail but doesn't devote too many pages to this; which is a good thing as Uppsala is as much a stage upon which the campaign plays out as it is a setting requiring intense and minute coverage. The majority of the book is taken up by an independent adventure, which I didn't really rate straight off the page, and the continuation of the Yggdrasill campaign. This campaign section of the book is excellent and, as the penultimate episode of the campaign, is potentially explosive for the characters. It is nicely designed to give the characters a choice of actions that will affect the setting at a critical time in its history; my brain was buzzing with the possibilities in this section. Once again, fate plays a big part in what happens to the pcs and some of the hands that are dealt to them are potentially cruel, but players committed to the game and setting will, I suspect, have a ball playing up to it.

The Yggdrasill campaign is high on my list of "to runs."
"He's an okay GM sometimes" - Pebsie
ragr has received thanks from the following for this post:
First Age, satbunny
ragr
18th-level
Playing: Trail Of Cthulhu.
Running: CoC (Curse Of Nineveh), Esoterrorists
Planning: Cthulhu Confidential, 13th Age. Yggdrasill.

Postby chingerspy » 3:25pm on 19 Nov 16

I'm currently reading through WWII: Operation Whitebox. I'm finding it a good system, well it follows the rules in the Swords & Wizardry Whitebox RPG which are tried and tested and quite easily modified should you no agree with them. It is nice to have an OSR WWII set of rules, even if to bring some more material into the world for modern day roleplaying using an OSR system.

It looks like they've put a lot of work into the book and there are a few supplements too which I also picked up. Maybe I'll nip back in here once I've gone through them fully.
chingerspy has received thanks from the following for this post:
satbunny
chingerspy
3rd-level
Playing: Star Wars RPG (FFG)
Planning: 5E and Piecing together a campaign setting

Postby Dom » 4:07pm on 20 Nov 16

Last night, prompted by another thread here, I bought a copy of 'The Final voyage of the Selene' which was interesting reading. The package comes in four parts; the core script, a guidance document on using it, and two sets of characters (the original ones and some extras) with details of their agendas and authorities.

Nominally, this is a GM-less game, but could easily be facilitated by someone to help things move along (something that I've done before for conventions). It's set on a starship which, by implication, doesn't get home. However, it could be tweaked to fit other plot lines. Reading it reminded me of Greg Bear's 'Hull Zero Three' and also Adrian Tchaikovsky's 'Children of Earth. It's a structured story with narrative resolution.

I also picked up 'Codenames', which seems to do something similar for the spy genre. On an initial read through, I'm not 100% certain how this would work. Unlike Wick's 'Wilderness of Mirrors' (and, indeed, 'The Final Voyage of the Selene'), the way that it's presented doesn't scream out 'Play me'.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
"We live in a nuclear powered universe. We're the oddballs by getting energy from burning carbon."
James Lovelock
Dom
9th-level

Postby satbunny » 7:48pm on 14 Dec 16

I got and read "Troika", essentially a clone of Advanced Fighting Fantasy. 56 pages. The simple system we know, a roll your background and wow they are weirdly fun, fun initiative, whacky spells and, of course, loads of source stuff. A very nice read that I feel would play well at the table. Melsonian Art Council, Troika, Google it.

satbunny
The Guvnor

Postby Newt » 9:53pm on 14 Dec 16

Currently reading Mythras and having a jolly good time :)

A familiar favourite of mine done right :)
Regards

;O)Newt
Monkey! OpenQuest! Hearts in Glorantha! oh my! All at D101 Games
Iron GM get in early and ride the ConKrieg to VICTORY! :D
Newt has received thanks from the following for this post:
satbunny
Newt
D101 Games
Running: FATE / Crypts & Things Remastered
Planning: Wordplay Cyberpunk, Old School D&D, Monkey & 101 other things

Postby Newt » 9:55pm on 14 Dec 16

Oh and Tenra Bansho Zero, which is just batshit crazy in a good way :)
Regards

;O)Newt
Newt has received thanks from the following for this post:
satbunny
Newt
D101 Games

Postby satbunny » 11:22pm on 14 Dec 16

Newt wrote:Oh and Tenra Bansho Zero, which is just batshit crazy in a good way :)

Troika is right up your street, Newt

satbunny
The Guvnor

Postby Newt » 1:15am on 15 Dec 16

Already got my Fighting Fantasy Fix via Albion Games's Advanced Fighting Fantasy* which gives me much more bang for my buck and loads of Russ Nicholson art to gawp at to boot.....phoaarrrr :)

I downloaded the artless version of Troika months and thought it was a nice quirky cute variant but wasn't highly impressed.

*and Port Blacksand, Beyond the Pit (sequel to Out of the Pit, with the remaining monsters from the official FF game books) and the upcoming sci-fi variant Stellar Adventures.
Regards

;O)Newt
Newt
D101 Games

Postby nclarke » 10:36am on 15 Dec 16

On my second read through of TDM's Rome and even more enthused by it. The amount of information in the book beggars belief. I've made 6 NPC's for my game for Seven Hills and it's incredibly easy to set up the non-player characters. As they are all currently people who will be helping to elect a Plebian Aedile they all come from the senator career path so the way things work means that they all have a set of about a dozen core and professional skills with a choice of one of four professional skills as the final choice. That means I know the actual skill point totals very quickly and they only vary by the base stat scores. So I only have to generate three stat scores (INT, CHA and POW) as the skills I need (non-physical/interpersonal mostly) are all based off these. I added Age get an idea of the skill points allowable for an older character and that was about it. The whole thing for 6 NPC's only took about 4 hours. I'll need to provide some Passions to bring each of the characters to life but that's the NPC's done unless I tweak them.
Nigel
nclarke has received thanks from the following for this post:
Newt
nclarke
10th-level

Postby satbunny » 11:56am on 15 Dec 16

Newt wrote:Already got my Fighting Fantasy Fix via Albion Games's Advanced Fighting Fantasy* which gives me much more bang for my buck and loads of Russ Nicholson art to gawp at to boot.....phoaarrrr :)

Excellent, thanks for that reminder.
satbunny has received thanks from the following for this post:
Newt
satbunny
The Guvnor

Postby PaulBaldowski » 12:43pm on 15 Dec 16

Newt wrote:Albion Games

Arion Games, Newt.

Oddly enough, there doesn't seem to be a company called Albion Games around at the moment in tabletop. Sounds like there should be...
Paul B
"The Cthulhu Hack hit my doorstep today and it's bloody good!" - Simon Burley
"If you want at least a little bit of butt-kicking, or if you like tossing dice, The Cthulhu Hack is the clear choice." - Steve Roberts, RPG Geek
Ready to game with an All Rolled Up dice bag
PaulBaldowski has received thanks from the following for this post:
Newt, satbunny
PaulBaldowski
9th-level
Playing: Nothing
Running: Tales From The Loop
Planning: Symbaroum, Cthulhu Hack, Star Trek, Predation, Dragon Quest

Postby ragr » 12:57pm on 15 Dec 16

nclarke wrote: The whole thing for 6 NPC's only took about 4 hours.

It might be the type of games I run but that seems like quite a lot of time to me. Does that include a detailed write up for each?

Not being pokey or meant as a criticism by the way. :)
"He's an okay GM sometimes" - Pebsie
ragr
18th-level
Playing: Trail Of Cthulhu.
Running: CoC (Curse Of Nineveh), Esoterrorists
Planning: Cthulhu Confidential, 13th Age. Yggdrasill.

Postby dr_mitch » 1:08pm on 15 Dec 16

I've been rereading Bookhounds of London for Trail of Cthulhu. For some reason it didn't excite me first time through, but this time round it's really grabbed me. It came together for me when I read the sample adventure. I think when I run it though it won't be particularly based on the "Standard" Mythos; I have other ideas.
dr_mitch
dr_mitch
Playing: Esoterrorists, Unknown Armies, Cthulhu Invictus
Running: D&D 5e, The One Ring
Planning: Lots. Always.

Next

Return to The Tavern