What RPG have you read recently?

FAQ | Search | Register | Login
View unanswered posts | View active topics | View your posts
The Gaming Tavern is a comfortable place for the discussion of fantasy, science fiction, visual, literary and in gaming. This forum is the successor to the much loved Gaming Tavern 2004-2016 RIP.

Moderator: satbunny

Re: What RPG have you read recently?

Postby dr_mitch » 5:31pm on 28 Oct 17

I'm reading lots of Unknown Armies sourcebooks (thanks Dom). As expected for Unknown Armies, there's some amazingly good stuff (especially all sorts of NPCs to tweak and steal for any "weird modern" type games), alongside stuff which makes me scratch my head or even wince (for example, some of the magic schools in Postmodern Magick, though other schools in the same book make the imagination flow).
dr_mitch has received thanks from the following for this post:
ajevans, Dom, j0rdi, satbunny
dr_mitch
dr_mitch
Playing: Esoterrorists, Unknown Armies, Cthulhu Invictus
Running: D&D 5e, The One Ring
Planning: Lots. Always.

Postby ajevans » 10:25am on 30 Oct 17

dr_mitch wrote:I'm reading lots of Unknown Armies sourcebooks (thanks Dom). As expected for Unknown Armies, there's some amazingly good stuff (especially all sorts of NPCs to tweak and steal for any "weird modern" type games), alongside stuff which makes me scratch my head or even wince (for example, some of the magic schools in Postmodern Magick, though other schools in the same book make the imagination flow).

I've recently read the 3 core books of the new edition. Some fascinating stuff in there but find the books really hard work. Some good writing, but not great editing, and feel 1 well-edited core book would've worked a lot better for me. That said it's on my list of games I really want to play, but not sure quite how to.

Another book I've read recently is Chill 3rd edition. Again a bit too much fluff in the book for my tastes (25% of the book is on SAVE the organisation PC's represent), but the underlying game looks solid and can't wait to give it a whirl tomorrow evening.
ajevans has received thanks from the following for this post:
Baz King, satbunny
ajevans
6th-level
Playing: Call of Cthulhu
Planning: Symbaroum

Postby satbunny » 6:25pm on 31 Oct 17

ajevans wrote:
dr_mitch wrote:I'm reading lots of Unknown Armies sourcebooks (thanks Dom). As expected for Unknown Armies, there's some amazingly good stuff (especially all sorts of NPCs to tweak and steal for any "weird modern" type games), alongside stuff which makes me scratch my head or even wince (for example, some of the magic schools in Postmodern Magick, though other schools in the same book make the imagination flow).

I've recently read the 3 core books of the new edition. Some fascinating stuff in there but find the books really hard work. Some good writing, but not great editing, and feel 1 well-edited core book would've worked a lot better for me. That said it's on my list of games I really want to play, but not sure quite how to.

Another book I've read recently is Chill 3rd edition. Again a bit too much fluff in the book for my tastes (25% of the book is on SAVE the organisation PC's represent), but the underlying game looks solid and can't wait to give it a whirl tomorrow evening.
Love to play Chill one day

Sent from my SM-G901F using Tapatalk
Tom Zunder: tom at zunder.org.uk
satbunny
The Guvnor
Playing: Symbaroum
Running: Nowt
Planning: Dolmenwood and Science Fiction

Postby dr_mitch » 6:56pm on 31 Oct 17

I got to play Chill 3e a couple of weeks ago. I'm thoroughly taken with it, and plan to pick up the book.

I'm also playing Unknown Armies 3e at the moment, and having a grand old time. I prefer it mechanically to Second Edition, though I don't think the three book set is necessary or that well put together despite it having some good material. I don't think it would work by itself without knowledge of the old edition (for instance the new schools of magic aren't as good).

But to emphasise again, despite having doubts about the written text, it's become a really good game to play in. I like the game much more than the books.
dr_mitch has received thanks from the following for this post:
ajevans
dr_mitch
dr_mitch
Playing: Esoterrorists, Unknown Armies, Cthulhu Invictus
Running: D&D 5e, The One Ring
Planning: Lots. Always.

Postby First Age » 9:41pm on 01 Nov 17

I have had a mini splurge on a few Drivethru treats with some publisher credit. More to the point I've had some time to read them recently.

The Veil - a treasured and quite beautiful book, this PbtA classic is set in a dystopian future of augmented reality, where the digiscape and landscape combine to become something more but somehow less. The protagonists are those that have looked through The Veil and appreciate that something is not right. Stats are emotions that can spike and dominate as they are used. The playbooks are well put together and have their own economies and perspectives. I'm not sure I will do the game full justice, but look forward to running it at Revelation 2018. Bit of a classic.

ATLANTIS: Adventure Anthology - a nice adventure anthology for Atlantis: The Second Age. "Four pulse-pounding adventures set in the time of savage swords and sorcery! A unique anthology that brings to life vivid tales of brutality, treachery, and brutal mayhem by several elite writers in the roleplaying industry." The scenarios look good and are well laid out in an accessible style. Really have no excuse but to bring out this game which has sat on my shelves for too long. I peaked and the line has grown with more full length adventures.

66 Suns - is a marvellous space opera setting of intergalactic proportions, yet honed in to The Cloud Worlds of the Magellanic Clouds orbiting the milky Way at 160K LYs. No dominant species, uploading of sentience into storage, Ultra Drives that fold space and enable instantaneous travel to very distant stars, FTL comms, inter-dimensional psionics, very far future setting with humanity adapted and changed to contact with a mix of powerful aliens. Highly inventive setting. Mostly text. The only game element is an adaptation of the Cepheus Engine for the planetary generation. So, you could run this with your favourite game engine of choice, and I've rather fallen in love with it. Perhaps one for Genesys?
First Age

Come to our Sheffield RPG Convention
Furnace: http://furnace.org.uk/
I write games: http://wordplaygames.co.uk
First Age has received thanks from the following for this post:
satbunny
First Age
First Age
Planning: Heroic Fantasy

Postby Peanut » 2:29pm on 09 Nov 17

Alas for the Awful Sea I don't do pdfs but as it'll be a while before I get the books. Am actually keen to give this a run out at a con (if I can find a con to attend) as I loved the setting and the game and was impressed with the background information provided in the book.

As the pdf wasn't too bad a read on my hudl2 on the train I might even take the plunge and start reading City of Mist
Peanut has received thanks from the following for this post:
satbunny
Peanut
11th-level
Playing: Pathfinder
Running: Nothing, zilch, nada
Planning: Star Wars Edge of the Empire

Postby nclarke » 4:53pm on 09 Nov 17

I'm running AftAS for Revelation at the Garrison in February.
Nigel
nclarke has received thanks from the following for this post:
Peanut, satbunny
nclarke
10th-level

Postby Peanut » 1:58pm on 10 Nov 17

Ooh, I was not aware of Revelation. It has piqued my interest, especially as I am also awaiting City of Mist.
Peanut has received thanks from the following for this post:
satbunny
Peanut
11th-level
Playing: Pathfinder
Running: Nothing, zilch, nada
Planning: Star Wars Edge of the Empire

Previous

Return to The Tavern