What RPG have you read recently?

FAQ | Search | Register | Login
View unanswered posts | View active topics | View your posts
The Gaming Tavern is a comfortable place for the discussion of fantasy, science fiction, visual, literary and in gaming. This forum is the successor to the much loved Gaming Tavern 2004-2016 RIP.

Moderator: satbunny

Re: What RPG have you read recently?

Postby nclarke » 1:53pm on 15 Dec 16

ragr wrote:
nclarke wrote: The whole thing for 6 NPC's only took about 4 hours.

It might be the type of games I run but that seems like quite a lot of time to me. Does that include a detailed write up for each?

Not being pokey or meant as a criticism by the way. :)

Well the 4 hours included reading the section on characters in the Rome book again, reading the section in Mythras on creating characters (as it's slightly different from RQ6), then deciding how I wanted to deal with the major-ish NPC's in the game I want to run. I then went over the two sections again working out the numbers for skills so that I could apply them as a bulk update for all the characters and then dealt with the effects of Age on the skill numbers before rolling for attributes. I had to read the section on p12 of Rome covering Political games to decide how I would position each of the NPC's regarding Status and Politics and randomly assess the variation in those skills for each of the NPC's from their base values. Having gathered all that information I laid out each character and allocated skillpoints in bulk to the standard and professional skills I'd picked for each. I'll add the Passions and some background later as the con draws closer and I've bulked out the outline of the scenario. Each of those NPC's will need some traits and background that players can uncover to allow the players to use their Rhetoric in the Forum to denounce those other candidates as unfit for office and to 'prove' why their man should be elected.
Last edited by nclarke on 5:56pm on 15 Dec 16, edited 1 time in total.
Nigel
nclarke has received thanks from the following for this post:
ragr
nclarke
10th-level

Postby ragr » 4:07pm on 15 Dec 16

Yep, I see all that. Not sure Mythras is for me; if it takes me more than 10 minutes to scribe an npc I get grumpy.
"He's an okay GM sometimes" - Pebsie
ragr
18th-level
Playing: Trail Of Cthulhu.
Running: CoC (Curse Of Nineveh), Esoterrorists
Planning: Cthulhu Confidential, 13th Age. Yggdrasill.

Postby satbunny » 4:39pm on 15 Dec 16

I can do you a Mythras NPC in 1 minute.
Tom Zunder: tom at zunder.org.uk
satbunny
The Guvnor
Playing: Symbaroum
Running: Nowt
Planning: Dolmenwood and Science Fiction

Postby ragr » 4:54pm on 15 Dec 16

satbunny wrote:I can do you a Mythras NPC in 1 minute.

Go! 60, 59, 58, 57..............
"He's an okay GM sometimes" - Pebsie
ragr has received thanks from the following for this post:
satbunny
ragr
18th-level
Playing: Trail Of Cthulhu.
Running: CoC (Curse Of Nineveh), Esoterrorists
Planning: Cthulhu Confidential, 13th Age. Yggdrasill.

Postby nclarke » 5:55pm on 15 Dec 16

I too can do an NPC for most D100 games in a fairly short period of time, but it was more a matter of exploring the system and generating 6 fairly complex characters that will form the basis for the protagonists in a game specifically designed for political shenanigans, a format I haven't previously explored.

While it's easy enough to come up with a name and a few skills with random numbers determined by what the NPCs actually need to do i.e. a sorcerer, a mercenary, or a rogue, major non-player characters or enemies normally need, as far as I'm concerned, a bit more effort to give them form and function within the framework of the game system and cater for the sandboxy game that allows the players to take the game in any direction which this is going to be.
Nigel
nclarke has received thanks from the following for this post:
satbunny
nclarke
10th-level

Postby satbunny » 12:24am on 18 Dec 16

satbunny wrote:
Newt wrote:Already got my Fighting Fantasy Fix via Albion Games's Advanced Fighting Fantasy* which gives me much more bang for my buck and loads of Russ Nicholson art to gawp at to boot.....phoaarrrr :)

Excellent, thanks for that reminder.

My copy of Troika just arrived. Comes with a lovely dice bag and some sweet 6-7mm for the initiative system. Love the small press craft RPG circuit.

Sent from my SM-G901F using Tapatalk
satbunny has received thanks from the following for this post:
First Age
satbunny
The Guvnor

Postby First Age » 6:17pm on 18 Dec 16

I have just skim re-read Barbarians of Lemuria Mythic Edition to flash prepare to run a wee game with some mates.

It is the very epitome of elegant design, with a svelte fun core engine and fun evocative descriptions. I always feel warm and happy when I pick it up and covered in sweat, bone fragments and dripping ichor when the session is over.

The other BoL powered games are universally very good indeed. Hmm, they're very me. I don't feel the need for too much more mechanical heft and the mix of rules lands about on my optimum level.

So it is that I leave sprawling Parsool until the next time. Perhaps I will return via Hellas, or hurtle by Barnsdead on the EmOne dueling corridor in a turbocharged pursuit vehicle. Fun times.
First Age

Come to our Sheffield RPG Convention
Furnace: http://furnace.org.uk/
I write games: http://wordplaygames.co.uk
First Age has received thanks from the following for this post:
dr_mitch, pedr, satbunny
First Age
First Age
Planning: Heroic Fantasy

Postby satbunny » 9:24pm on 18 Dec 16

The game was fun and light. It's up there as a potential online engine.

Sent from my SM-G901F using Tapatalk
satbunny has received thanks from the following for this post:
First Age
satbunny
The Guvnor

Postby Dom » 12:08am on 19 Dec 16

Just read the 'Kaigaku' Alpha and very nice it is too (one format and one typo that leapt out at me but nothing bad).

Just enough setting to be interesting, and a slick take on the armour rules from the Black Hack. Nicely evocative - I'm looking forward to getting this in print.
"We live in a nuclear powered universe. We're the oddballs by getting energy from burning carbon."
James Lovelock
Dom has received thanks from the following for this post:
First Age, satbunny
Dom
9th-level

Postby dr_mitch » 12:34am on 19 Dec 16

I've just been reading The Final Revelation for Trail of Cthulhu and my mind is blown. It's all about uncovering inescapable doom without a whiff of heroism or being able to do one tiny thing to hold it back. There's little of the investigation procedural about it.

It's something genuinely different to other Cthulhu scenarios I've read which all have a hint of pulp and being able to do something to hold back the darkness. It's about staring oblivion in the face and losing everything. It's about characterisation and theatre in the face of that.

I've no idea if I'll ever be able to run it; it needs a group willing to play through four or so sessions with five groups of characters all losing everything. But with the right players it would genuinely offer something special, and, dare I say it again, different. Just don't expect a "typical" RPG experience.
dr_mitch has received thanks from the following for this post:
Dom, ragr, satbunny
dr_mitch
dr_mitch
Playing: Esoterrorists, Unknown Armies, Cthulhu Invictus
Running: D&D 5e, The One Ring
Planning: Lots. Always.

Postby First Age » 11:40am on 22 Dec 16

So, here we are. It's a whopper with lots of colour illustrations and a wall of meaty background text that I glazed over to get to the core rules to see how the game actually worked.
Era: The Consortium

We are in World of Darkness territory. Stat + Skill gives a starting pool of d10. These are modified by some other circumstances. You roll with 10s exploding. Target number for each d10 depends on difficulty with a base of 7+ needed to score a success on each die. Numbers of successes are also required depending on what you are trying to achieve.

Combat involves two main rolls for hit and then a damage check with an instant spatter threshold.

Vehicles and starships are covered with a scaling mechanic to determine if one level can damage the other.

It clearly needs to be played to see how the numerous flowcharts deliver a game. I'm wary. It looks playable, but perhaps clunky, much like its inspirational parent. Coriolis achieves all this with a similar sized book, but with a much more intuitive and elegant system.

In terms of setting, then I glazed as a lot of it is delivered as fiction, which I found slightly impenetrable. I'd have preferred an elevator pitch, clarity about what you do as a player in the setting and some tasty detail to get me started. Perhaps just not my style. There's doubtless a good setting in there.
First Age

pedr, satbunny
First Age
First Age

Postby First Age » 10:49am on 23 Dec 16

Holy arse of the blighted Davokar faeries, the 'Advanced Players Guide' for Symbaroum is fantastic. Full of abilities, magics, races, items and options, the book provides for a measured and wide ranging expansion of the player options.

There's lots more to come from this favourite of mine and hugely recommended.
First Age

dr_mitch, satbunny
First Age
First Age

Postby dr_mitch » 1:47pm on 23 Dec 16

First Age wrote:Holy arse of the blighted Davokar faeries, the 'Advanced Players Guide' for Symbaroum is fantastic. Full of abilities, magics, races, items and options, the book provides for a measured and wide ranging expansion of the player options.

I *wants* it...
dr_mitch has received thanks from the following for this post:
satbunny
dr_mitch
dr_mitch
Playing: Esoterrorists, Unknown Armies, Cthulhu Invictus
Running: D&D 5e, The One Ring
Planning: Lots. Always.

Postby Shane » 5:33pm on 23 Dec 16

I've just read through the latest version of the PDF of Modiphius Conan and I am really liking what I see. It's probably a little more rules-heavy than I normally go for these days, but the added stuff seems to be quite intuitive, so I'll be giving it a run-out when I get it in hardcopy.
Shane has received thanks from the following for this post:
First Age, satbunny
Shane
Dice Funder
Playing: D&D 5e (quarterly-ish)
Running: D&D 5e (online weekly), Family D&D 5e (weekly-ish)
Planning: Conan 2d20 or The One Ring, mood dependant

Postby First Age » 5:40pm on 27 Dec 16

Shane wrote:I've just read through the latest version of the PDF of Modiphius Conan and I am really liking what I see. It's probably a little more rules-heavy than I normally go for these days, but the added stuff seems to be quite intuitive, so I'll be giving it a run-out when I get it in hardcopy.

My thoughts on the new Conan RPG are on my blog, here: https://farhavens.blogspot.co.uk/2016/12/conan-adventures-in-age-undreamed-of.html
First Age

pedr, satbunny
First Age
First Age

PreviousNext

Return to The Tavern