What are you backing?

FAQ | Search | Register | Login
View unanswered posts | View active topics | View your posts
The Gaming Tavern is a comfortable place for the discussion of fantasy, science fiction, visual, literary and in gaming. This forum is the successor to the much loved Gaming Tavern 2004-2016 RIP.

Moderator: satbunny

Re: What are you backing?

Postby Dom » 2:52pm on 30 Mar 17

Backed "Long Live the Queen", which is in the last 12 hours or so. It's a two player card and dice game of rival factions struggling after the death of the monarch. Some clever elements - you can win by assassination or by developing enough influence. Overplaying your hand in an area of influence can backfire. Takes about 30 mins.

2 versions available - one with the anime art from the Japanese version and one with a dieselpunk version. I've backed the latter and theme is slightly amended as rival crime family factions. Play is the same.

Ludicreations have very little in distribution as they're a small player but they always make fun, high quality games. This one will be limited run and only from their website otherwise.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/lu ... -the-queen

//qThe only defense is to cease all communications. Shut all systems down, receive no messages. Further rep p p sqdr ....................//
"We live in a nuclear powered universe. We're the oddballs by getting energy from burning carbon."
James Lovelock
Dom has received thanks from the following for this post:
satbunny
Dom
8th-level

Postby First Age » 8:57am on 01 Apr 17

Thanks to Steve and Dom, I'm now backing another PbtA dark fantasy game of power and politics.

"The Sword, The Crown, and The Unspeakable Power (SCUP) is a tabletop roleplaying game from Wheel Tree Press designed by Todd Nicholas and Thomas J. Using the Powered by the Apocalypse system, SCUP focuses on power, intrigue, and shifting alliances in a dark fantasy setting. Inspired by political science-fiction and fantasy such as A Song of Ice and Fire by George R.R. Martin, The First Law by Joe Abercrombie, Imperial Radch by Ann Leckie, and the TV show Vikings, SCUP provides players with an immersive role-playing experience, where they can get their hands dirty in the bloody machinations of power. "

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/wheeltreepress/the-sword-the-crown-and-the-unspeakable-power
First Age

Come to our Sheffield RPG Convention
Furnace: http://furnace.org.uk/
I write games: http://wordplaygames.co.uk
First Age has received thanks from the following for this post:
satbunny
First Age
First Age
Planning: Heroic Fantasy

Postby satbunny » 9:59am on 01 Apr 17

I look forward to playing this online with you and Gowbear

Sent from my SM-G901F using Tapatalk
Tom Zunder: tom at zunder.org.uk
satbunny has received thanks from the following for this post:
First Age
satbunny
The Guvnor
Playing: Symbaroum
Running: Nowt
Planning: Dolmenwood and Science Fiction

Postby lost barbarian » 10:13pm on 04 Apr 17

Back in 1979 I decided that I needed to run a (war)game where only one person (me) needed to know the background and rules. This was after a few failed attempts to introduce friends to WRG 5 Ancients and / or Quarry's Napoleon's Campaigns in Miniature! The game I bought was Basic D&D by J.Eric Holmes in a boxed set with B1 Into the Unknown.

I recognition of the change in the direction of my gaming over the succeeding 38 years it only seems reasonable for me to back:

BLUEHOLME™ Journeymanne Rules
lost barbarian has received thanks from the following for this post:
satbunny, The Crypt Keeper, Vile
lost barbarian
2nd-level
Playing: The Laundry
Running: Nothing
Planning: Barbarians of Lemuria

Postby satbunny » 7:07pm on 05 Apr 17

I just backed STAR EAGLES on @Kickstarter https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/28 ... tar-eagles

Star Eagles is a science fiction action game of futuristic space fighter combat that allows you to play out the battles from your favorite books, movies, and TV shows. In a standard game, each player controls a squadron of 4-12 ships competing in exciting, objective-based missions in space, on moons, and in the atmosphere of planets.

It's another one of the Ganesha games that I love.

Sent from my SM-G901F using Tapatalk
Tom Zunder: tom at zunder.org.uk
satbunny has received thanks from the following for this post:
lost barbarian
satbunny
The Guvnor
Playing: Symbaroum
Running: Nowt
Planning: Dolmenwood and Science Fiction

Postby Herne's Son » 10:01pm on 05 Apr 17

lost barbarian wrote:Back in 1979 I decided that I needed to run a (war)game where only one person (me) needed to know the background and rules. This was after a few failed attempts to introduce friends to WRG 5 Ancients and / or Quarry's Napoleon's Campaigns in Miniature! The game I bought was Basic D&D by J.Eric Holmes in a boxed set with B1 Into the Unknown.

I recognition of the change in the direction of my gaming over the succeeding 38 years it only seems reasonable for me to back:

BLUEHOLME™ Journeymanne Rules

I just backed BLUEHOLME at the hardcover level. I've enjoyed the "Prentice" edition (lvl 1-3), and look forward to the full game. Been playing some old school D&D-like stuff with my kids, and having a blast. Hoping they'll enjoy this one, too.
The Hooded Man will come to the forest, there to meet with Herne the Hunter, to be his son and do his bidding.
Herne's Son has received thanks from the following for this post:
lost barbarian, satbunny, Vile
Herne's Son
1st-level
Playing: Basic Fantasy Roleplaying Game, Revolution d100
Running: Basic Fantasy Roleplaying Game
Planning: Revolution d100, Other Worlds

Postby Vile » 10:14am on 09 Apr 17

Thanks, Lost Barbarian and Herne's Son! Well, I'm not backing - but I am running ... ;)
Vile has received thanks from the following for this post:
Dom, satbunny
Vile
3rd-level
Playing: Dungeon Inc.
Running: BLUEHACK™
Planning: AEON:engine™

Postby Shane » 12:45pm on 09 Apr 17

I jumped on the Talislanta one at the $10 PDF level.

These days I tend to only back what I am sure I will play, bur anything that looks even slightly interesting and has a $10 PDF level will probably get my support because $10 for a PDF setting I can mine for ideas is a bargain, and I'll back something I might not have otherwise.
Shane has received thanks from the following for this post:
dr_mitch, lost barbarian, satbunny
Shane
Dice Funder
Playing: D&D 5e (quarterly-ish)
Running: D&D 5e (online weekly), Family D&D 5e (weekly-ish)
Planning: Conan 2d20 or The One Ring, mood dependant

Postby Dom » 1:02pm on 09 Apr 17

I've gone hardback on Blueholme, and PDF for Swordfish Isles. There'll be an option to add physical copies once they have weights and costs after the KS.

I https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/pa ... -an-rpg-he

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"We live in a nuclear powered universe. We're the oddballs by getting energy from burning carbon."
James Lovelock
First Age, lost barbarian, satbunny, Vile
Dom
8th-level

Postby The Crypt Keeper » 7:44pm on 09 Apr 17

I'm currently in for a soft back of Blueholme, i dithered too long and missed a grab of the discounted hardback but its all about balancing the pennies as I'm also backing the DCC Lankhmar box set as a physical item plus scenarios, the DCC Umerican Survival Guide in POD and The Goon for Savage Worlds in PDF...frankly after that I'm hoping its very quiet and booring on Kickstarter for a long time to come
Cardinal Fangorn of the Proggish Inquisition and Keeper of the Comfy Chair

"I shall fetch the soft cushions, a copy of 2112 and a portfolio of Roger Dean album covers"
The Crypt Keeper has received thanks from the following for this post:
satbunny, Vile
The Crypt Keeper
Dice Funder

Postby Dom » 7:50pm on 09 Apr 17

I was tempted by the Lankhmar set but then remembered I've never ever used the setting in anger with previous versions.

James Lovelock
satbunny, The Crypt Keeper
Dom
8th-level

Postby negromaestro » 11:50pm on 09 Apr 17

pedr wrote:I was never going to be able to risk <edit: I meant to type "resist"!> a sci fi game using 5e D&D rules, was I? https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/23 ... escription

Will I ever run it? Who knows? But since I backed Aethera and don't play Pathfinder I can't Not back this one :-)

Kickstarter always throws something new and cool after you already backed something new and cool. I came across this thread today, Pete, with you mentioning DnD in Space in 2016 before the authoritative DnD5e in Space game was launched in 2017.

Esper Genesis (or DnD5e in Space)

By the way, I also found a piece of art on this Kickstarter that was lifted from Bruce Cordell's The Strange RPG (page 14).
Running 2d20 games before they turned cool
negromaestro has received thanks from the following for this post:
satbunny
negromaestro
9th-level
Playing: Warhammer 40K Dark Heresy
Running: Conan, Coriolis, Star Wars
Planning: Star Trek, Starfinder

Postby First Age » 10:17pm on 16 May 17

Bah, epic fail, backed another Kickstarter, this time a follow-up to the brilliant The Veil cyberpunk RPG.

The Veil: Cascade, a post-cyberpunk roleplaying game
Embody characters in a Cyberpunk future while playing to unravel the mysteries of your own making and your very sense of self.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/samjokopublishing/the-veil-cascade-a-post-cyberpunk-roleplaying-game

First Age

Come to our Sheffield RPG Convention
Furnace: http://furnace.org.uk/
I write games: http://wordplaygames.co.uk
First Age
First Age
Planning: Heroic Fantasy

Postby Dom » 11:31pm on 16 May 17

Can you tell me how The Veil compares to The Sprawl?

James Lovelock
Dom
8th-level

Postby nclarke » 8:46am on 17 May 17

The Sprawl (Disclosure; I get a mention for helping with support/techie stuff) is very much aimed at the cyberpunk world of Gibson. A list of stuff in the back of the book reveals the source of much of the book's material:

"If you’re not familiar with Cyberpunk as a genre, begin by reading William Gibson’s
Sprawl trilogy, Neuromancer (1984), Count Zero (1986), and Mona Lisa Overdrive
(1988). For a distilled hit of mission-focused cyberpunk, read the short stories in
Burning Chrome, especially ‘Johnny Mnemonic’, ‘Fragments of a Hologram Rose’,
‘New Rose Hotel’, and ‘Burning Chrome’ itself. For the tone and aesthetics of The
Sprawl, watch Ridley Scott’s Bladerunner (1982), preferably the 1992 Director’s Cut or
the 2007 Final Cut."

Reading Material is listed as:
"George Alec Effnger, When Gravity Fails (1986), A Fire in the Sun (1989) and The Exile Kiss (1991).
Tobias S. Buckell, Hurricane Fever (2014).
William Gibson, Neuromancer (1984), Count Zero (1986), Burning Chrome (1986),
and Mona Lisa Overdrive (1988). The Bridge Trilogy (Virtual Light (1993), Idoru (1996),
and All Tomorrow’s Parties (1999)) is also relevant, and has an interesting near future
representation of New Zealand.
Richard K. Morgan, Altered Carbon (2002), Broken Angels (2003), and Woken Furies
(2005), Black Man (Published as Thirteen in the US) (2007).
Kieran Shea, Koko Takes A Holiday (2014).
Neal Stephenson, Snow Crash (1992).
Bruce Sterling (ed.), Mirrorshades: The Cyberpunk Anthology (1986), Islands in the
Net (1988).
Daniel Suarez, Daemon (2006) and FreedomTM (2010).
Walter Jon Williams, Hardwired (1986)"

and suggested films are:
Robocop (1987)
Max Headroom (1987)
Total Recall (1990)
Johnny Mnemonic (1995)
Strange Days (1995)
Any of the Ghost in the Shell anime franchise.
Dredd (2012)
Elysium (2013)
Robocop (2014)

So basically "mission-focused cyberpunk".

The Veil is very much "playing to find out " about important philosophical ideas and concepts like what has a soul or how has the human race evolved.
Nigel
nclarke has received thanks from the following for this post:
Dom, dpmcalister, jonnygray
nclarke
10th-level

PreviousNext

Return to The Tavern