Imagined Games

FAQ | Search | Register | Login
View unanswered posts | View active topics | View your posts
The Gaming Tavern is a comfortable place for the discussion of fantasy, science fiction, visual, literary and in gaming. This forum is the successor to the much loved Gaming Tavern 2004-2016 RIP.

Moderator: satbunny

Imagined Games

Postby satbunny » 1:41pm on 28 Jan 17

What games are you imagining running? You know, the half day dreaming campaigns you plan in your head as you idly look at TV, game shelves, read books or look through your minis.

Posted by C4-D4RS on the MetroLiberal HoloNet
Tom Zunder: tom at zunder.org.uk
satbunny
The Guvnor
Playing: M&M, Savage Worlds
Running: Nowt
Planning: Dolmenwood 5e or TBH

Re: Imagined Games

Postby pedr » 1:46pm on 28 Jan 17

A 4e D&D game, possibly Paragon tier, which unambiguously positions the PCs as fantasy superheroes and emphasises the separation between their powers and abilities and the everyday world.

About 7 different sci-fi campaigns inspired by Killjoys and Dark Matter and realising how different all the sci fi games I have on my shelves (or about to arrive via Kickstarters) actually are.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
pedr has received thanks from the following for this post:
dr_mitch, First Age, satbunny
pedr
Dice Funder
Playing: D&D Next, Star Wars: Saga
Running: D&D Encounters

Postby dr_mitch » 2:39pm on 28 Jan 17

Epic space opera! Not Star Wars, but Hellas or maybe the Elysium Flare playtest. Or a large scale Mindjammer campaign.

Hardish space science fiction! Something like the Expanse, with maybe some horror notes.

A campaign rather than one shot of Symbaroum, but something of my own devising rather than the pre-written scenarios.

Dungeons and Dragons 5th edition or Fantasy AGE in my eastern-Europe tinged Mindflayers vs Beholders setting.

A return to late 1960s Night's Black Agents.

Wordplay: Dramaguhl, City on the Edge of Nowhere, with its baroque fantasy city full of rituals and mysterious desert.

Trail of Cthulhu with the Mythos replaced by something else, but still meeting the themes of cosmic horror.

Some sort of ancient China wuxia game.
dr_mitch has received thanks from the following for this post:
pedr, satbunny
dr_mitch
dr_mitch
Playing: Ashen Stars
Running: The One Ring
Planning: Lots. Always.

Postby First Age » 2:45pm on 28 Jan 17

I find a group who like the simplicity of PbtA games and we fly off to explore the rough and ready worlds of an Impulse Drive game, out in the fringe where the Fomalhaut Pact's grip isn't so tight that a crew can't find a line of credit.

A Heroic Fantasy game, where we create our own Saga of the Northlands, recognised by the gods, lauded by the Jarls, feared by the monsters.

In the far Western Province, unlikely heroes are the villagers only hope as the bandit lords unite under Restless Dragon. Tianxia.

Damn I have so many swirling about. Some of them find expression as con games, otherwise they will remain phantasms in my mind.
First Age

Come to our Sheffield RPG Convention
Furnace: http://furnace.org.uk/
I write games: http://wordplaygames.co.uk
First Age has received thanks from the following for this post:
pedr, satbunny
First Age
First Age
Planning: Heroic Fantasy

Postby ragr » 4:25pm on 28 Jan 17

Yggdrasill is holding a pre-eminent place in the whirling maelstrom that are my gaming thoughts. It may be that I'm watching Season 402 (their numbering not mine) of Vikings and have come over all Scandic but, whatever the cause, it's the one at the front right this moment.

It sounds like this:

Last edited by ragr on 4:29pm on 28 Jan 17, edited 1 time in total.
"He's an okay GM sometimes" - Pebsie
ragr has received thanks from the following for this post:
dr_mitch, satbunny
ragr
18th-level
Playing: The One Ring
Running: Nights Black Agents. CoC (Curse Of Nineveh), Ashen Stars.

Postby dr_mitch » 4:28pm on 28 Jan 17

ragr wrote:Yggdrasill is holding a pre-eminent place in the whirling maelstrom that are my gaming thoughts. It may be that I'm watching Season 402 (their numbering not mine) of Vikings and have come over all Scandic but, whatever the cause, it's the one at the front right this moment.

I forgot that one. I do fancy a game of old Norse/Germanic power politics with myth at the fringes. Has my Saxons game last year fully scratched the itch as GM? I'd certainly play!
ragr, satbunny
dr_mitch
dr_mitch

Postby nclarke » 4:29pm on 28 Jan 17

A game of 70's spies where the players are up to speed with the history of the period and have some understanding of spy culture or methods.

A game of interstellar adventure with exciting space combat as well as planetary settings that make sense in my head.

An epic sword and sorcery campaign set in Lankmar or Nehwon.

A down and dirty Dark Ages game set around the 5th and 6th centuries CE with heroic Britons holding out against marauding Saxons in the area of the Severn Valley/Forest of Dean.

A Gaslight period horror game that avoids the usual tropes of Holmes and the Ripper.

There's loads more but almost all of them need the right players which I tend to find only in online games nowadays.
Nigel
nclarke has received thanks from the following for this post:
Dom, dr_mitch, ragr, satbunny
nclarke
9th-level

Postby dr_mitch » 4:48pm on 28 Jan 17

nclarke wrote:A game of 70's spies where the players are up to speed with the history of the period and have some understanding of spy culture or methods.

A game of interstellar adventure with exciting space combat as well as planetary settings that make sense in my head.

An epic sword and sorcery campaign set in Lankmar or Nehwon.

A down and dirty Dark Ages game set around the 5th and 6th centuries CE with heroic Britons holding out against marauding Saxons in the area of the Severn Valley/Forest of Dean.

A Gaslight period horror game that avoids the usual tropes of Holmes and the Ripper.

There's loads more but almost all of them need the right players which I tend to find only in online games nowadays.

Another list where I'd love to play any of them!
satbunny
dr_mitch
dr_mitch

Postby satbunny » 5:11pm on 28 Jan 17

It's the game phantasms that fascinate me, we must catch them.

satbunny
The Guvnor

Postby simonpaulburley » 8:09pm on 28 Jan 17

By a circuitous route and for obscure reasons - Blake's Seven.
"People don't stop playing because they get old. They get old because they stop playing."

Been around since original D&D
Author of Golden Heroes, Squadron UK, The Comics Code,The Code of the Spacelanes and The Code of Steam and Steel.
simonpaulburley has received thanks from the following for this post:
satbunny
simonpaulburley
Shadow Con
Playing: The odd game at Conventions
Running: Squadron UK, "Code" books - Comics, SciFi, SteamPunk
Planning: More "code" books (Anime next) Manifold multi-genre RPG.

Postby satbunny » 1:49pm on 29 Jan 17

Galactic space opera mashing up old skool space opera with modern Banksian post singularity, toss in several Vancian touches, decaying stars from Fading Suns, space whale spaceships from Farscape, sentient music and ALL my miniatures. Chuck in memes from Far Havens, Traveller, Eclipse Phase and rules from Stars Without Numbers, d6, Savage Last Parsec.

Slow cook for 3 billenia in a binary black hole nebula and serve with Spice

satbunny has received thanks from the following for this post:
dr_mitch, pedr
satbunny
The Guvnor

Postby NickMiddleton » 2:11pm on 29 Jan 17

Something frontier-ish: in one of those bone dry, dirt poor, dead end towns as far way from civilisation as it's possible to get, where a bunch of losers, loners, refugees and exiles end up and are thrust together against a common threat. It's PROBABLY on early colonial Mars blended from the Expanse, Orbital: 2100 and Jovian Chronicles; but it MIGHT be in the Terra Novan badlands and it could be in a steam punk pseudo wild west purpose created for it... Nothing is EXACTLY in focus about it yet, its the tentative outlines of a backdrop, some major NPC's and their conflicting agendas. It's not even coalesced to the point of scribbled notes yet...

More substantial, but still a little elusive and not firmly plotted or statted:

"Alley of the Damned" - a "re-imagining" of Damnation Alley influenced by Defiance and some other sources (I had a moment of nostalgia and bought a Hawkwind compilation over Christmas).

The Restoration Quartet - a sequence of "pseudo-historical" adventures set in something close to our history in England and the New World between the early 1680's and 1690's - "Frost Giant's Fair", "Restoration, Revolution or Rebellion", "Death of a Pirate" and "Vile Trades".

"Tales of the Blessed Isle" - fantasy East Yorkshire - I have a tentative campaign outline for this too (currently 5/6 discrete scenarios within the larger framework).

"Forged on the Wall" is my fantasy alternate Rokugan, which is mostly a backdrop and a premise rather than specific ideas at present. Rigid military aristocracies, a centuries long maintained watch on the border of the gates to the underworld, that sort of thing.

Could really do with settling down on one of them and actually turning it in to something substantial! It would help if I wasn't feeling so discontented with RPG's in general at present: events over the last couple of years have rather tainted my engagement with BRP systems; I've looked at a number of new system / setting combo's and keep finding interesting settings with systems that don't inspire and the only older systems I find remotely interesting are OOP and not particularly fashionable... :/ the only thing I've genuinely enjoyed running over the last year or so is the occasional Fantasy AGE / Valkana game, and that's stymied until GR get the world book out as I feel I've gone as far as I can speculating; anymore, and it will just be MY home-brew setting. Plus I want more AGE materials to support the game going forward.

Plus, I'm also wondering about ideas for a one off game for Table Top day...

Nick
NickMiddleton has received thanks from the following for this post:
dr_mitch, satbunny
NickMiddleton
2nd-level

Postby Peanut » 8:45pm on 31 Jan 17

Yes to a Killjoys game. Also one based on Alphas.
Peanut
11th-level
Playing: Pathfinder
Running: Nothing, zilch, nada
Planning: Star Wars Edge of the Empire

Return to The Tavern