Podcasts wot I like, add yours

FAQ | Search | Register | Login
View unanswered posts | View active topics | View your posts
The Gaming Tavern is a comfortable place for the discussion of fantasy, science fiction, visual, literary and in gaming. This forum is the successor to the much loved Gaming Tavern 2004-2016 RIP.

Moderator: satbunny

Podcasts wot I like, add yours

Postby satbunny » 3:31pm on 15 Apr 17

The Grognard Files.

A very nice grognard podcast with a strongly British, White Dwarf, Imagine, RuneQuest, D&D, slant. Feels like 6Music for rpgs:
[url]
http://www.podbean.com/podcast-detail/2 ... NARD+Files[/url]
Tom Zunder: tom at zunder.org.uk
satbunny has received thanks from the following for this post:
Dom, The Crypt Keeper
satbunny
The Guvnor
Playing: Symbaroum
Running: Nowt
Planning: Dolmenwood and Science Fiction

Re: Podcasts wot I like, add yours

Postby Dom » 4:07pm on 15 Apr 17

The History of Rome

Exactly what it says on the tin. 179 (!) episode journey the history of the eternal city from its founding to the collapse of the Empire. Most episodes around 20-25 mins. I'm close to the end now.

Limetown

X-Files like audio drama about the disappearance of 300 people in a small town in Tennessee a decade ago.

The Message
A drama about the attempt to decode an alien message.

Life/After

Related to the Message, a story about a widower coming to terms with the death of his wife and trying to maintain contact via Voicetree, a social network that uses the spoken word. Took me about 3 episodes to enjoy this, at first it was hard going.

Unexplained

Each week, the host picks another unexplained mystery to discuss. Some interesting stories and potential ideas for games.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"We live in a nuclear powered universe. We're the oddballs by getting energy from burning carbon."
James Lovelock
Dom has received thanks from the following for this post:
satbunny
Dom
9th-level

Postby SJE » 5:18pm on 15 Apr 17

Crimetown - the criminal history of Providence, Rhode Island. Worth listening to for any Mafia or politcally corrupt game. Also one of the ex-gangsters is now a Pathfinder player- I wonder what playing at his table is like?

Revolutions - After the History of Rome, the same history podcaster went into the English Civil War, American War of Independence, French Revolution, Haiti, and how South America freed itself from Spain.
"Forth, and fear no darkness! Arise. Arise, Riders of Theoden. Spears shall be shaken, shields shall be splintered! A sword day... a red day... ere the sun rises. Ride now!... Ride now!... Ride! Ride for ruin and the world's ending!"

Exalted Actual Play: Gem City Watch! || Dark Heresy- Silver Dawn/The Castermere Look/The Beiderbeck Investigation || ASOI&F - A Knights Tale || Cold City: BSG || Rogue Trader: Eastern Fringes Trading Co. || Elric: Inception in the Dreaming City || Masks of Nyarlathotep-7e||Super(Mad)men from the Stars||V20: The Red List|| Dracula Dossier @LongCon2016
SJE has received thanks from the following for this post:
Dom, satbunny
SJE
17th-level

Postby Neil Gow » 7:58pm on 15 Apr 17

Of gaming relevance, I'm going to assume Ken and Robin Talk About Stuff and our very own What Would the Smart Party Do? - and I also second Unexplained

Of less gaming and more random nature....

Talk is Jericho - wrestler Chris Jericho's podcast that alternates between wrestling and metal interviews.

Common Sense and Hardcore History with Dan Carlin. The history casts are looooong and detailed but so worth it. Common Sense is his political views. He's neither left, or right but just thinks through problems. Good, thought provoking stuff.

Left, Right and Centre - the US politics cast of an NPR station KCRW that specifically mixes left and right wing commentators in a purposefully calm 30 minute debate. Very good

Real Time with Bill Maher - liberal demagogue, funny in small doses

The Bugle - the organ that launched John Oliver. Not 100% sold on the solo Andy Zaltzman version, but I will happily listen to Nish Kumar laughing his tits off whenever he's on.

White Rocket Podcast - My mate Van's genre podcast. He can be doing a B5 watch-through one episode and then a 'All the Bond Themes Ranked' one next. Decent.
Omnihedron Games - Publisher of Duty & Honour and Beat to Quarters
Keep up-to-date with Omnihedron on Facebook or Google+
ZackSpacks - "I get highly amused by Neil Gow’s constant slagging of Call of Cthulhu"
Jonny Gray - "Ron Edwards is no way as passionate as The Gow"
Nick Reynolds - "Suffice to say no Gon was left Un-zoed in this tour-de-force of Gow cod-British tourism-tat-driven madness."
Neil Gow has received thanks from the following for this post:
Baz King, Dom, satbunny
Neil Gow
Gow Bear
Playing: Dresden Files Accelerated
Running: Monsterhearts 2, Symbaroum
Planning: Unliving, Dead of Night

Postby Shane » 12:32pm on 16 Apr 17

Gaming-wise, Ken and Robin, The Good Friends of Jackson Elias, and The Smart Party get my regular listenage.

Non-gaming stuff: I'm a fan of the Friday Night Comedy podcast from BBC Radio 4, the Infinite Monkey Cage extended podcast (also Radio 4), and the Myths and Legends podcast.

Regards,

Shane
Shane has received thanks from the following for this post:
Dom, Elina, satbunny
Shane
Dice Funder
Playing: D&D 5e (quarterly-ish)
Running: D&D 5e (online weekly), Family D&D 5e (weekly-ish)
Planning: Conan 2d20 or The One Ring, mood dependant

Postby dpmcalister » 2:19pm on 16 Apr 17

I've never really gotten into podcasts. I've tried a few (including our own contribution from the Smart Party) but they never really hold my attention for long. That and I don't have the time to sit and listen to them: my commute to work is a 5 minute cycle (10 if I'm cycling into the wind ;)) and I barely have enough time in the evenings to keep up to date with the TV shows I watch and my game prep!

I'm excellent at time management at work but I can't seem to extend that to my gaming life :oops:
My administrator/moderator voice is RED.

UK Role Players Affiliate Schemes: Amazon :: CafePress :: DriveThruRPG :: D&D Classics :: ProFantasy :: RPGNow
Personal Links: Blog :: Flickr :: LinkedIn :: Twitter
dpmcalister has received thanks from the following for this post:
satbunny
dpmcalister
Administrator
Running: D&D 5e: Under Illefarn; Lost Mines of Phandelver; Storm King's Thunder

Postby Dom » 2:31pm on 16 Apr 17

25 min drive to and from work helps me. Otherwise I suspect I'd not be listening much.

"We live in a nuclear powered universe. We're the oddballs by getting energy from burning carbon."
James Lovelock
Dom has received thanks from the following for this post:
dpmcalister, satbunny
Dom
9th-level

Postby dr_mitch » 5:12pm on 16 Apr 17

I'm a fan of the Fictoplasm Podcast: http://www.fictoplasm.net, which focuses on fantasy and science fiction novels, and RPGs connected with the ideas of the books.

I've been a guest a couple of times recently, but was a fan before that.
dr_mitch has received thanks from the following for this post:
Dom, satbunny
dr_mitch
dr_mitch
Playing: Esoterrorists, Unknown Armies, Cthulhu Invictus
Running: D&D 5e, The One Ring
Planning: Lots. Always.

Postby Shane » 8:44pm on 16 Apr 17

dpmcalister wrote:I don't have the time to sit and listen to them

I just fit them in where I can. My commute is even less than yours, Dave, so I tend to listen to podcasts whilst preparing dinner. Plus when I'm doing some housework.

Shane
Shane has received thanks from the following for this post:
dpmcalister, satbunny
Shane
Dice Funder
Playing: D&D 5e (quarterly-ish)
Running: D&D 5e (online weekly), Family D&D 5e (weekly-ish)
Planning: Conan 2d20 or The One Ring, mood dependant

Postby Dom » 12:08am on 04 May 17

Shout out for the BBC's 'Tumanbay'.

You can get it as a podcast or get the MP3s here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b08nwt5 ... /downloads

Their description: "Epic saga created by John Dryden and Mike Walker, inspired by the Mamluk slave dynasty of Egypt.Epic saga created by John Dryden and Mike Walker, inspired by the Mamluk slave dynasty of Egypt."

"Who were the Mamluks?
Rebellions, plagues and mysterious forces hide behind every corner of Tumanbay, a world inspired by the Mamluks. But, what do we know about the great civilisation that ruled Egypt from the 13th to the 16th century?

Nearly everyone started out as a slave
The Mamluks believed in using talent wherever they found it and slaves, sold in the markets of the great cities, could rise through the ranks of the army, the civil service, the arts and sciences, or trade to positions of wealth and power.

They were nearly wiped out by the plague
In 1347 slave traders from the Black Sea brought with them something far deadlier than a cargo of future Mamluk warriors: the Black Death. Plague infested the whole of the known world, but nowhere was it fiercer than in Cairo. Over two years it wiped out an estimated one-third of the population.

Saved by publicly funded hospitals
The cost of the plague might have been even higher had Cairo not had dozens of hospitals, maintained at the public expense and by grants from the wealthy. There were separate wards for men and women, asylums for the mentally ill and ‘rest homes’ for the recovering and weak.

If you were a doctor, you could be sued
Anticipating our modern world, there were ambulance chasing lawyers happy to sue doctors who didn’t deliver all the patient expected. The doctors, highly skilled and prized throughout the Mediterranean, responded by introducing contracts to be signed before treatment.

Mamluk mortgages
When hospital treatment wasn’t free it could be paid for in instalments, as could a variety of other goods including slaves. Bankers offered mortgages to house buyers and there was even an efficient postal service.

Camels had to pass on the left
In the bustling cities there were problems with pollution, traffic (camels had to pass on the left, but the streets were frequently too narrow to allow this) and combustible loads like wood and straw were banned from built up areas. Zoning officials frequently had to demolish properties which were built beyond the designated boundary lines.

Instead of dolls, they played with live babies
In Islam the representation of a living being is forbidden, so there were no dolls or stuffed toys for the princesses of the palace. Instead, they played with live babies. The young princesses would comb and plait their hair and dress them in clothing they had sewn themselves. They would teach them about cleanliness and deportment, and in spite of being children themselves, would play mother to the little girls, giving them their first lessons. If they survived this upbringing, slave girls often became ladies in waiting or went on to marry into notable families.

Ruthless and filthy rich
The Mamluk empire was at the apex of its power in the 14th century under Sultan al-Nasir Muhammad ibn Qalawun. He ruled for 41 years, a record never surpassed by any Mamluk sovereign. Cairo was one of the wealthiest cities in the world – Christian Europe sent merchants to the Mamluk capital, which reaped huge profits from being the gateway to the Orient. When al-Nasir died his fourteen sons were the wealthiest fourteen individuals on the planet.

Too chivalrous for their own good
Mamluk soldiers developed a code of chivalry similar to that of the knights of the Western world and, as the Empire declined and the power of Ottoman Turkey grew, they often found themselves at a disadvantage because they would not use unchivalrous tactics against their enemies.

Outfought by the Ottomans
In 1516 Sultan al-Ghuri, whose passions were perfume and flowers, led his army out of the city to fight the Ottoman Turks who were commanded by the brutal sultan Selim I “The Grim” but the Mamluks had not had to fight in earnest for eighty years and their chivalrous tactics were no match for the ruthless Ottomans. It was to signal the end of the Mamluk dynasty and the rise of the Ottomans as the dominant force in the Middle East."

The story focuses around an insurrection in an occupied province and how it escalates. Second Series has just started...
James Lovelock
Dom
9th-level

Postby pedr » 1:14pm on 04 May 17

I'm a fan of actual play podcasts particularly Campaign (Star Wars EotE played by very creative improv actors) and One Shot (similar stable of actors play various games for a few episodes each). The same network has three great interview shows (Backstory, Modifier, and Talking Tabletop) which I listen to a bit less frequently.

I'm re-watching The West Wing and listening to West Wing Weekly as I do.

pedr
Dice Funder
Playing: D&D Next, Star Wars: Saga
Running: D&D Encounters

Return to The Tavern