Gateways into gaming.

FAQ | Search | Register | Login
View unanswered posts | View active topics | View your posts
The Gaming Tavern is a comfortable place for the discussion of fantasy, science fiction, visual, literary and in gaming. This forum is the successor to the much loved Gaming Tavern 2004-2016 RIP.

Moderator: satbunny

Gateways into gaming.

Postby Dom » 8:39pm on 14 Jun 17

So, my interest in gaming was triggered by the first pilot issue of Space Voyager. There was a great article on gaming in it.

http://www.moviemags.com/main.php?title=SPACE%20VOYAGER

I then discovered the earlier version of "What is Dungeons and Dragons?" And the split page description of the raid on the Shrine of Kollchap hooked me. One page with rules, the other with narrative.

I was lucky because the library had this and I had it on loan for a long time!

And then the local gift shop got some RPGS and I ended up founding a club at my secondary school, supported by the trendy rocker RE teacher Miss Smith. The rest is history.

What was your gateway?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"We live in a nuclear powered universe. We're the oddballs by getting energy from burning carbon."
James Lovelock
Dom has received thanks from the following for this post:
dpmcalister, dr_mitch, Jagusti
Dom
9th-level

Re: Gateways into gaming.

Postby matakishi » 8:48pm on 14 Jun 17

Tangley Model Workshop in Guildford.
I saw a framed Barry Smith Conan print in the window and went in to have a look. The place was full of fantasy dioramas using 60mm or larger miniatures. Wonderful stuff.
I found a 25mm Frazetta Death Dealer by Ral Partha and so my lead addiction started.
After a few weeks of regular visits I was shown the Holmes D&D box with the dungeon geomorphs as a possible way to use the miniatures I was buying and I was intrigued.
When I found members of the bike club were also interested i was off and running.
That was in 1980.
I've kept going since then.
matakishi has received thanks from the following for this post:
Dom
matakishi
3rd-level
Playing: GMing The Black Hack
Running: The Black Hack: The latter days of Yarth.
Planning: The Latter Days of Yarth and The High Seas Hack campaign for after

Postby dpmcalister » 10:06pm on 14 Jun 17

The Warlock of Firetop Mountain. It was genius and I devoured it and every other Fighting Fantasy (and knock-off) book released. For my 13th birthday a couple of years later I had a massive £10 to spend and was looking at the shelves on my local Toymaster the red box edition of Basic D&D fell off the shelf above me and landed on my head. Picking it up I read the back and I was hooked. I started my own club in 1985, ran my first one-day "convention" (more a games day) in 1987 and haven't look back since (although there was a 5 year enforced hiatus when I joined the RAF).
My administrator/moderator voice is RED.

UK Role Players Affiliate Schemes: Amazon :: CafePress :: DriveThruRPG :: D&D Classics :: ProFantasy :: RPGNow
Personal Links: Blog :: Flickr :: LinkedIn :: Twitter
dpmcalister has received thanks from the following for this post:
Dom
dpmcalister
Administrator
Running: D&D 5e: Under Illefarn; Lost Mines of Phandelver; Storm King's Thunder

Postby thenovalord » 11:03pm on 14 Jun 17

14 at school. Saw a bunch of students huddled around a table with weird dice, metal minis and odd maps
My first gaming love, Dragonquest, was discovered
thenovalord has received thanks from the following for this post:
Dom
thenovalord
The Mighty Vest
Playing: Symbaroum, PFS
Running: Ironfang Invasion, Tomb Annihaltion, Starfinder
Planning: Kickstarter stuff

Postby Neil Gow » 11:42pm on 14 Jun 17

Adverts in DC comics.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Omnihedron Games - Publisher of Duty & Honour and Beat to Quarters
Keep up-to-date with Omnihedron on Facebook or Google+
ZackSpacks - "I get highly amused by Neil Gow’s constant slagging of Call of Cthulhu"
Jonny Gray - "Ron Edwards is no way as passionate as The Gow"
Nick Reynolds - "Suffice to say no Gon was left Un-zoed in this tour-de-force of Gow cod-British tourism-tat-driven madness."
Neil Gow has received thanks from the following for this post:
Dom
Neil Gow
Gow Bear
Playing: Dresden Files Accelerated
Running: Monsterhearts 2, Symbaroum
Planning: Unliving, Dead of Night

Postby simonpaulburley » 6:29am on 15 Jun 17

My dad was a board gamer. We were raised on Waddingtons games.

My dad started to buy "Games and Puzzles" magazine. Great magazine. Its reviews of games included two slider bars - random vs tactical, easy vs complex.

I was already reading fantasy books. You had to read a book a week as part of your English homework (you were tested on them) and The Hobbit and Stealer of Souls were two of the books you could choose to borrow to read.

Then in G&P there was an article by (UK) Steve Jackson about this new game in the US called "Dungeons and Dragons". A GOOD article. I was hooked.

My dad wouldn't buy the game so I had to wait a year until I got to university where I made a beeline for the games club.
"People don't stop playing because they get old. They get old because they stop playing."

Been around since original D&D
Author of Golden Heroes, Squadron UK, The Comics Code,The Code of the Spacelanes, The Code of Steam and Steel, The Code of Warrirors and Wizardry and The Super Hack.

I attend lots of RPG conventions in the UK. I Attend non-RPG "geek" conventions to promote The Hobby using my "Choose Your Adventure" set up. I blog about both of these things here: https://rpgs4all.blogspot.co.uk .
simonpaulburley has received thanks from the following for this post:
Dom
simonpaulburley
Spaghetti ConJunction
Playing: The odd game at Conventions
Running: "Code" books - Comics, SciFi, SteamPunk, Anime.The Black Hack.
Planning: Manifold multi-genre RPG. More Code Books - Fantasyand Horror next

Postby ajevans » 9:47am on 15 Jun 17

Hero Quest by Milton Bradley Games was the big catalyst for me, as I imagine it might be for a lot of people in the mid to late thirties.

But also I was close friends with my Godmother's son, whose father played D&D, had painted miniatures round the house and a lot similarly themed board games. Whilst I was never directly introduced to D&D through them, it certainly increased my awareness.
ajevans has received thanks from the following for this post:
Dom
ajevans
6th-level
Playing: Call of Cthulhu
Planning: Symbaroum

Postby nclarke » 10:58am on 15 Jun 17

I'd been playing war games since 69 or thereabouts (using rules by Charles Grant published in Meccano Magazine) plus lots of board games and when a friend brought a photocopy of the three book D&D set back from Cambridge at Xmas 1974 the wargames group was hooked.
Nigel
nclarke has received thanks from the following for this post:
Dom
nclarke
10th-level

Postby ragr » 11:20am on 15 Jun 17

1978. In my mum's living room playing some tank battle out with Airfix/Hummel models and a friend mentions they've heard about a fantasy game a bit like Lord Of The Rings. With little delay, and following some research that I can't remember conducting, I stuck some birthday money in my pocket, gave 10p to the driver on a 220 and popped off to the newly opened Games Workshop in Dalling Road and swapped my cash for a copy of D&D Blue Box.
"He's an okay GM sometimes" - Pebsie
ragr has received thanks from the following for this post:
Dom
ragr
18th-level
Playing: Trail Of Cthulhu.
Running: CoC (Curse Of Nineveh), Esoterrorists
Planning: Cthulhu Confidential, 13th Age. Yggdrasill.

Postby Dom » 1:58pm on 15 Jun 17

nclarke wrote:I'd been playing war games since 69 or thereabouts (using rules by Charles Grant published in Meccano Magazine).

His compiled version of that - "Practical Wargaming" - was also one of the things that led me into the hobby. I found the "What is Dungeons and Dragons?" book after I'd read that repeatedly as they were in the same reference section in Holmes Chapel Library.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"We live in a nuclear powered universe. We're the oddballs by getting energy from burning carbon."
James Lovelock
Dom
9th-level

Postby Vile » 3:21pm on 15 Jun 17

Dom wrote:So, my interest in gaming was triggered by the first pilot issue of Space Voyager. There was a great article on gaming in it.

I then discovered the earlier version of "What is Dungeons and Dragons?"

Wait, are you me? :shock:

I still have that magazine, though I had to buy another copy of What is Dungeons and Dragons because the one I read in 1982 wasn't mine.
Vile has received thanks from the following for this post:
Dom
Vile
3rd-level
Playing: Dungeon Inc.
Running: BLUEHACK™
Planning: AEON:engine™

Postby Darran » 6:25pm on 20 Jun 17

Back in 1981 I was introduced to role-playing games by my elder brother Russell and his friend.
At the time I was drawing maps of ancient Greece as I had been going on a Hellenic mythological binge, so I was well up for a good fantasy game.

The game was RuneQuest (Games Workshop 2nd edition box set) and the setting was Glorantha. First scenario was 'Rainbow Mounds' and my character was a Blackfang Assassin as I wasn't keen on Orlanth or Kygor Litor (the only other options for cults).
From that moment I was hooked!

Every Sunday afternoon was a RuneQuest afternoon. We explored Glorantha, making most of it up as we went along, and I went through a new character every other week as I had a habit of killing off my PCs. Russell at the time had his character, Barefoot Bulltamer, living on an epic nine years of real time gaming. Barefoot went everywhere. Tarsh, Sartar, Prax, Pavis, Sanctuary (Thieves World) then onto Pamatela where he discovered that Basmol the Lion was really the Deity trapped under the Block in Prax.

We also explored the Young Kingdoms with 'Stormbringer', Known Space with 'RingWorld', the Mythos with 'Call of Cthulhu', lead an Elf Tribe with 'ElfQuest', and were even knights of Camelot with 'Pendragon'. We always stuck to Chaosium games and we returned to RuneQuest and Glorantha.
Cheers,
Darran
-----------------------------
'A lack of planning on your part does not constitute an Emergency on my part'-http://darransims.livejournal.com/
Playing crappy characters on a whim for +35 years!
Darran has received thanks from the following for this post:
Dom, dpmcalister, ragr
Darran
Dice Funder
Playing: Nothing
Running: Firefly, Supernatural.
Planning: Wilderness Throne, Tales from the Loop.

Return to The Tavern