Long delayed RPG Kickstarters

FAQ | Search | Register | Login
View unanswered posts | View active topics | View your posts
The Gaming Tavern is a comfortable place for the discussion of fantasy, science fiction, visual, literary and in gaming. This forum is the successor to the much loved Gaming Tavern 2004-2016 RIP.

Moderator: satbunny

Long delayed RPG Kickstarters

Postby Dom » 8:33pm on 24 Jun 17

So, I went a bit mad when I backed Delta Green's kickstarter. I'm hoping that we'll see both the Fall of Delta Green and the Case Officer's Handbook this year, but my gut says we'll probably only get one. Starting to get nervous that Brexit will screw up shipping costs big style the longer that it takes to complete the work on the supplements. I hope that it arrives before the Stars are Right.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
"We live in a nuclear powered universe. We're the oddballs by getting energy from burning carbon."
James Lovelock
Dom has received thanks from the following for this post:
satbunny
Dom
8th-level

Re: Long delayed RPG Kickstarters

Postby Shane » 2:10am on 25 Jun 17

Yeah, I agree. I also went large into DG, so I am waiting with long baited breath.

I also backed Conan and Infinity; Conan is starting to appear in earnest, but Infinity not so much yet. Modiphius haven't let me down yet, though, so I have confidence. Far West is a write-off as far as I'm concerned. Shotguns and Sorcery the same, I reckon (the odd bit of line art isn't progress). Plus a handfull of other things I never expect to see.

Overall, though, at 203 kickstarters most have delivered. I'm really slowing down on what I back, though. I've backed a fraction of the stuff I would have backed in the past.

Regards,

Shane
Shane has received thanks from the following for this post:
Dom, satbunny
Shane
Dice Funder
Playing: D&D 5e (quarterly-ish)
Running: D&D 5e (online weekly), Family D&D 5e (weekly-ish)
Planning: Conan 2d20 or The One Ring, mood dependant

Postby ragr » 9:03am on 25 Jun 17

I'm also deep into DG and a couple of other previously backed campaigns although I've got to say I've no concerns over delivery at this stage. It's not anything I have control over in any case.

I have moved almost completely away from KS and will no longer back most things gaming related with the exception of those increasingly rare campaigns that still cleave to the original premise of the system and still might need my advance commitment in order to succeed. We seem to have gone from the happy lottery winner surprised and genuinely delighted with their much cherished (and deserved) success to Billy Big Nads grinning over how much they exceeded by.

Not for me anymore, although I'm as much to blame as anyone for turning things this way.
"He's an okay GM sometimes" - Pebsie
ragr has received thanks from the following for this post:
Dom, dpmcalister, satbunny
ragr
18th-level
Playing: Blades In The Dark.
Running: CoC (Curse Of Nineveh), Ashen Stars.
Planning: Cthulhu Confidential, Esoterrorists, 13th Age. Yggdrasill.

Postby satbunny » 10:53am on 25 Jun 17

I am at KS glut. The delay between backing and receiving is too long. It means I have often moved on or lost interest. Neil Gow's approach of only buying a game you run is too Puritan for me but KS is too hedonistic, it makes games a collectable like the decorated plates in the Radio Times with the same effect: piles of stuff and gigabytes of PDFs I'll never use.

Still awaiting Trudvang and Talislanta... Sigh

Sent from my SM-G901F using Tapatalk
Tom Zunder: tom at zunder.org.uk
satbunny has received thanks from the following for this post:
Dom
satbunny
The Guvnor
Playing: M&M, Savage Worlds
Running: Nowt
Planning: Dolmenwood 5e or TBH

Postby Neil Gow » 11:09am on 25 Jun 17

As Tom has mentioned, I am quite thrifty when it comes to my game spending and rarely do speculative spending. I am, however, balls deep into Lex Occultum but that is some time off fulfilment. Coming to a con near you in the future...

I do, however, have my own KS bugbear story. I backed Second Skins for Monsterhearts. Now, the skins have been delivered and are pretty mainstream now in the game but the stretch goals? Oh they have been mired in 'Real Life Issues' for ages now. These real life issues haven't stopped the author from taking part in other projects as a much-vaunted contributor though. **** sake, he delivered his town for MH2 faster than he delivered the stretch goals for his own **** product. What makes things worse is that the excuses are that the text is 'being worked on' - its only a bloody advisory text on running a skin in a game of Monsterhearts - not the bastard BREXIT negotiation document. Write it. Edit it. Send it. Done.

I wouldn't have the brass balls to do ANYTHING else but complete KS-related material if I ever ran a kickstarter. Mama Gow raised me to honour my debts and this sort of **** really REALLY gets under my skin. Delays in whole product I can understand and tolerate. Leaving work that has been paid for to do other work? Get the **** back to your desk and scribe your hipster ass off!
Omnihedron Games - Publisher of Duty & Honour and Beat to Quarters
Keep up-to-date with Omnihedron on Facebook or Google+
ZackSpacks - "I get highly amused by Neil Gow’s constant slagging of Call of Cthulhu"
Jonny Gray - "Ron Edwards is no way as passionate as The Gow"
Nick Reynolds - "Suffice to say no Gon was left Un-zoed in this tour-de-force of Gow cod-British tourism-tat-driven madness."
Neil Gow has received thanks from the following for this post:
Dom, dpmcalister, dr_mitch, satbunny
Neil Gow
Gow Bear
Playing: Dresden Files Accelerated
Running: Monsterhearts 2, Symbaroum
Planning: Unliving, Dead of Night

Postby SJE » 11:54am on 25 Jun 17

I'm still backing some stuff, but my backing has definitely declined since the exchange rate turned. I keep a spreadsheet and its heading to around 9 grand over the last 7 years or so - (though it'll be a bit less as that counts other peoples pledges when I've gone in with others to reduce shipping). There are some I'll never get - including my first KSer- e20, then things like Rosemont Bay, Apotheoisis Drive X, Into the Shadows, Pirate World. While thats been a result of sickness, mental breakdowns and bad fortune, for the first time I'm concerned with some previously on-track games like Pendragon/Aquellare and Hellywood being delayed due to the recent sudden and unexpected tragic death of Stewart Wieck.
"Forth, and fear no darkness! Arise. Arise, Riders of Theoden. Spears shall be shaken, shields shall be splintered! A sword day... a red day... ere the sun rises. Ride now!... Ride now!... Ride! Ride for ruin and the world's ending!"

Exalted Actual Play: Gem City Watch! || Dark Heresy- Silver Dawn/The Castermere Look/The Beiderbeck Investigation || ASOI&F - A Knights Tale || Cold City: BSG || Rogue Trader: Eastern Fringes Trading Co. || Elric: Inception in the Dreaming City || Masks of Nyarlathotep-7e||Super(Mad)men from the Stars||V20: The Red List|| Dracula Dossier @LongCon2016
SJE has received thanks from the following for this post:
Dom, satbunny
SJE
17th-level

Postby Kaiserjez » 1:54pm on 25 Jun 17

Project Dark. Dunno why I even backed it to be honest, I also backed Blades in the Dark, both fantasy stealth/theivery RPG's, both way overdue and I've now lost all enthusiasm for playing either of them. At least Blades has finally come out I suppose.
Apocalypse World 2 is taking its sweet time arriving as well, although the PDF came out a while ago.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
"And, when the doctor said I didn't have worms any more, that was the happiest day of my life."
Pompey Crew Achievements; Arse Like A Japanese Flag, Harry Redknapp'd, Pompey Social, Crash At Mick's, Spend a Penny, Safety in Numbers, Pass The Arse Gravy, The Jonny Gray's Brother Maneuver, Make Mine A Guinness, The Third Troll, Broken!, Gash Tats, Hello Sailor, Informed judgement, Dedication's what you need, The Fly, It's not trolling if..., Thundercats! Ho!
"Jez has champagne pockets and lemonade eyes." -Indie Pete
Kaiserjez has received thanks from the following for this post:
Dom, satbunny
Kaiserjez
Jonny Gray's Brother
Playing: Nothing
Running: Nothing
Planning: Loads of stuff that I will never finish

Postby Dom » 3:16pm on 25 Jun 17

Apocalypse World feels like the old style don't give a Damn about the rest of the world.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"We live in a nuclear powered universe. We're the oddballs by getting energy from burning carbon."
James Lovelock
Dom has received thanks from the following for this post:
satbunny
Dom
8th-level

Postby ajevans » 8:47pm on 29 Jun 17

Talk about not giving a damn about the rest of the world, I backed Red Markets in at $50 for a Hardback book, which was to be printed and fulfilled by DTRPG - so reasonable shipping, so I thought.

Well it's not being fulfilled by DTRPG, it's being shipped from the USA, shipping to USA addresses: $8, shipping to UK: $69! :evil:
ajevans has received thanks from the following for this post:
Dom, dr_mitch
ajevans
6th-level
Playing: Call of Cthulhu
Planning: Everything & nothing

Return to The Tavern