New shiny...

FAQ | Search | Register | Login
View unanswered posts | View active topics | View your posts
The Gaming Tavern is a comfortable place for the discussion of fantasy, science fiction, visual, literary and in gaming. This forum is the successor to the much loved Gaming Tavern 2004-2016 RIP.

Moderator: satbunny

New shiny...

Postby maddz » 8:04pm on 24 Dec 17

Was walking past the Corby Computer Exchange today and saw in the window - a spiffy new 13" MacBook Pro at a shade over a grand... Guess what I am typing this on now.

The iMac is on it's way out - I can't update any further than El Capitan, and we're waiting for a new model before upgrading. I do need a laptop for business purposes nowadays (there's nowhere I can set up the iMac in Corby, whereas I can work on a laptop), and if I end up doing overnight stays for work purposes, I'll need a reasonable machine to work on. I'm not trying to do Business Objects report development on an iPad Mini. I would have preferred a 15" (and was considering a 15" Chromebook), but the price difference was too much, and it can be problematic accessing iCloud accounts via the Android app.

It will also be good to work in the warm instead of in the (integral) garage conversion - there's no central heating, only what comes through the house door and from the towel rail in the downstairs loo, so I use a fan heater which dries the air drastically (there's no room for an oil-filled radiator until somebody clears up all his stuff...) I can sit on the sofa and work instead of huddling in several layers of clothing.
maddz has received thanks from the following for this post:
Darran, Dom, dpmcalister
maddz
7th-level

Re: New shiny...

Postby satbunny » 10:28pm on 24 Dec 17

Lovely.
I know I could go Chromebook if I wanted to, but I am very pleased someone else pays for my Macs.
Tom Zunder: tom at zunder.org.uk
satbunny has received thanks from the following for this post:
Darran, Dom
satbunny
The Guvnor
Playing: Symbaroum
Running: Nowt
Planning: Dolmenwood and Science Fiction

Postby maddz » 10:43pm on 24 Dec 17

My view is dropping a grand on something will last me at least 5 years is a better bargain than dropping 500 on something that's obsolete in 2.

My only worry is whether I can flog my copy of Office 2008 into working on this machine. It comes pre-installed with Office 2016, but wants me to sign in with a M$ account...which I sort of have because of Skype but I don't think my copy of Office 2008 is associated with it.

Still, that will wait until I get home in the New Year and drop a recent Time Machine back-up into iCloud (it normally lives on the external hard drive). My other issue is going to be peripherals - I don't much like typing on a laptop for extended periods, and I really loathe trackpads. This machine has 2 Thunderbolt ports and no USB 2 ports; CEX kindly gave me a USB 2 -> Thunderbolt converter, so I'll nip down to Tesco on Boxing Day and find a cheap mouse and see if it all works.
satbunny
maddz
7th-level

Postby Darran » 11:17pm on 24 Dec 17

I still use my iMac from early 2007 with very few problems. It’s a little bit slower on start up now but still quicker than my works PCs.
Cheers,
Darran
-----------------------------
'A lack of planning on your part does not constitute an Emergency on my part'-http://darransims.livejournal.com/
Playing crappy characters on a whim for +35 years!
Darran has received thanks from the following for this post:
Dom, satbunny
Darran
Dice Funder
Playing: Nothing
Running: Firefly, Supernatural.
Planning: Wilderness Throne, Tales from the Loop.

Postby maddz » 12:30am on 25 Dec 17

There's nothing wrong with the iMac - it's now on it's 3rd (or is it the 4th) hard drive but it's not as convenient to lug around if I'm away... But Apple won't support it hardware-wise, and it won't take anything past El Capitan so there's a limit to how long I can securely use it in terms of working from home. I'm lucky in that I know a good reseller who does hardware maintenance otherwise I would have had to replace it a couple of months back when the hard drive started to fail. They actually had a hard drive in stock and were able to replace it over a weekend.

I do notice it chugging a bit, especially when I have multiple programs and windows open, and apparently the trick for a slow start-up is to untick 'open windows at restart' (or do like I do and leave it running 24/7 - it only gets powered down if I'm going away for several nights).

We'll probably revert it to Snow Leopard when we upgrade, and I'll use it for legacy software - Hengband, various retro games, GURPs Character Sheet 3rd Edition (at least until I can print off all my characters/rebuild in GCS4). Annoyingly, there's no non-Rosetta version of GCS3.
Dom, satbunny
maddz
7th-level

Postby MartinP » 12:39am on 25 Dec 17

I replaced my 2007 windows laptop this summer, mostly because I wanted something lighter than the full metal 15" monster I inherited from my previous job. I put Linux on that a couple of years ago because IT at work threatened to cut off my VPN access if it stayed on XP.
MartinP has received thanks from the following for this post:
satbunny
MartinP
5th-level
Playing: Spirit of the Century
Running: Code of Steam and Steel - Victorian Mars
Planning: Code of Shojo and Shonen, Alas For The Awful Sea, GURPS Traveller

Postby dpmcalister » 1:19am on 25 Dec 17

Never had a Mac but hated supporting them in my old job.

I picked up a 6 month Surface Pro 4 in March and love it. 256GB SSD, 8GB RAM and an i5 processor. Still getting the hang of the pen, but the Bluetooth mouse combined with the Type Cover has me covered. Very rarely use my desktop PC now.

Sent from my G6
My administrator/moderator voice is RED.

UK Role Players Affiliate Schemes: Amazon :: CafePress :: DriveThruRPG :: D&D Classics :: ProFantasy :: RPGNow
Personal Links: Blog :: Flickr :: LinkedIn :: Twitter
dpmcalister has received thanks from the following for this post:
PaulBaldowski, satbunny
dpmcalister
Administrator
Running: D&D 5e: Under Illefarn; Lost Mines of Phandelver; Storm King's Thunder

Postby satbunny » 12:31pm on 25 Dec 17

maddz wrote:There's nothing wrong with the iMac - it's now on it's 3rd (or is it the 4th) hard drive but it's not as convenient to lug around if I'm away... .

I have very successfully upgraded Macs of that age by having the hard disk replaced with SSD.
I use a Mac mini at work that fair licks along with an SSD.
satbunny has received thanks from the following for this post:
Dom
satbunny
The Guvnor

Postby Dom » 3:50pm on 27 Dec 17

I had lovely 2008 iMac 24" until just over a year ago - 1 TB SSD and 6GB RAM (upgraded beyond limits) - which unfortunately expired as the GPU (NVDIA shite with a known issue) died a second time. Although it's socketed, the machine is obsolete and the part no longer available.

My day to day Mac is the original aluminium unibody MacBook, which has a 512 GB SSD and 8GB RAM (upgraded beyond limits) and it's still going strong, albeit on El Capitan. I know it can be hacked to at least Sierra but as it's the primary machine...

I'm also using a cheap Lenovo N22 Chromebook as a browser/google docs machine. I love it, but would swap for a Mac laptop in a jiffy.

I suspect I will buy a second hand Mac Mini as a stop gap; unfortunately, the money for that was eaten twice over by the alternator failing the week before last and some self inflicted car issues. Patience.

(It has to be said that the 20% hike in Apple prices from the pound/dollar shifts from Brexit are painful when considering a new machine.
"We live in a nuclear powered universe. We're the oddballs by getting energy from burning carbon."
James Lovelock
Dom has received thanks from the following for this post:
satbunny
Dom
9th-level

Postby Dom » 4:03pm on 27 Dec 17

satbunny wrote:Lovely.
I know I could go Chromebook if I wanted to, but I am very pleased someone else pays for my Macs.

To be honest (and First Age teases me about this), I could except for the need to use Affinity and InDesign. Day to Day, definitely.

The one that I'm pondering is whether I could take myself iPad Pro only for mobile rather than get a new laptop.
"We live in a nuclear powered universe. We're the oddballs by getting energy from burning carbon."
James Lovelock
Dom has received thanks from the following for this post:
satbunny
Dom
9th-level

Postby Darran » 7:15pm on 27 Dec 17

That’s what I am debating with myself. iPad Pro now, MacBook in a couple of months, or wait a little longer to get a new iMac?
Cheers,
Darran
'A lack of planning on your part does not constitute an Emergency on my part'-http://darransims.livejournal.com/
Dom, satbunny
Darran
Dice Funder

New shiny...

Postby decfeeney » 10:38pm on 27 Dec 17

Received an unexpected iPad Pro for Christmas . After being initially underwhelmed (I have an iPad 4, what is the real benefit of the Pro) I’m rapidly working my way to loving the device.

Two comments if you are thinking about an iPadPro.. if you plan to multitask (and it makes a huge difference - being able to keep a pdf reader and a notes app open in separate windows whilst prepping for a game, or RoboForm open whilst browsing the web), then the extra screen space if the larger Pro would be invaluable.

Also for marking up pdfs, and MS office docs, the Apple Pen is not a toy, it’s a really valuable tool. (Even for those of us who are art-handicapped).

I’d love to give you a full breakdown, but after just 48 hours I think that would be premature.

Oh.. and unfortunately the new Apple Keyboard which doubles as a case is not a good substitute for the proper Bluetooth keyboard Apple used to sell. The action is all wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Declan Feeney,

"Bang! Bang! Climax! Eat! Bang! Bang! Climax! Eat!" - Neil Gow
decfeeney has received thanks from the following for this post:
Darran, Dom, satbunny
decfeeney
Go Play Leeds
Playing: Beat to Quarters
Running: Smallville, Dresden Files
Planning: Apocalypse World, Nobilis

Postby Darran » 11:06pm on 27 Dec 17

Wow, an iPad Pro as a Christmas present. I was happy to get a bottle of aftershave. ;)

Thank you for that breakdown, I do like the idea of drawing straight into the iPad so it would be mostly for art for me.
Cheers,
Darran
Dom, satbunny
Darran
Dice Funder

Postby maddz » 3:45pm on 30 Dec 17

I was considering an iPad pro, but as I need to log into the VPN and work on Business Objects reports, the bigger screen and ability to add peripherals swung it for me (we’re talking 50+ columns and editing within cells). I picked up an iWant Bluetooth keyboard in PC World for £25 when I popped in to get a cheap mouse (I loathe trackpads). So far, so good. I’ll give the set-up a good work-out when I get home next week.
satbunny
maddz
7th-level

Postby satbunny » 12:49pm on 14 Jan 18

decfeeney wrote:Received an unexpected iPad Pro for Christmas . After being initially underwhelmed (I have an iPad 4, what is the real benefit of the Pro) I’m rapidly working my way to loving the device.

Two comments if you are thinking about an iPadPro.. if you plan to multitask (and it makes a huge difference - being able to keep a pdf reader and a notes app open in separate windows whilst prepping for a game, or RoboForm open whilst browsing the web), then the extra screen space if the larger Pro would be invaluable.

Also for marking up pdfs, and MS office docs, the Apple Pen is not a toy, it’s a really valuable tool. (Even for those of us who are art-handicapped).

I’d love to give you a full breakdown, but after just 48 hours I think that would be premature.

Oh.. and unfortunately the new Apple Keyboard which doubles as a case is not a good substitute for the proper Bluetooth keyboard Apple used to sell. The action is all wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I really want a 27" iMac with a touch screen and an iPad Pro pen.
But since I have a 27" iMac Retina, I can be smug and wait.

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk
satbunny
The Guvnor

Return to The Tavern