"Yes", "No", "Meh"

FAQ | Search | Register | Login
View unanswered posts | View active topics | View your posts
Want to talk, specifically, about RPGs? Then post it here. Questions, comments, and views are all welcomed.

Re: "Yes", "No", "Meh"

Postby ragr » 10:23am on 14 Sep 17

thenovalord wrote:And 0.0001% of the time falling out of the boat bags you the One Ring.......

Or me. It is my birthday after all.
"He's an okay GM sometimes" - Pebsie
ragr has received thanks from the following for this post:
dpmcalister, dr_mitch, jonnygray, old timer, satbunny, thenovalord
ragr
18th-level
Playing: Blades In The Dark.
Running: CoC (Curse Of Nineveh), Ashen Stars.
Planning: Esoterrorists, 13th Age. Yggdrasill.

Postby Neil Gow » 10:56am on 14 Sep 17

A party of adventurers approach the village. As they walk into the village square they are taken by three things. The first is the stench - a horrid, fetid miasma that hangs over the place. The undeniable smell of rotting flesh. The second are the mosquitos - fat and persistent. The third are the locals, all in black, mourning but without the anguish of the recently bereaved. More ... procedural.

Guntor, the fighter, walks forwards and grabs a man who is shuffling around them with his head down. The man doesn't shy away but instead looks at him with mournful eyes - like a loving dog owner does to his faithful companion at the end of his days.

"What ails this village!" Gunthor growls at the man.

"Turn back! You must all ... turn back..." He sobs, dry tears of played out sorrow.

"We will not turn back. We must cross yonder lake to seek the barrow beyond its furthest shore."

The man sighs. "They all say that. They all wanted to cross the lake. Why do you never learn? Why? Why?!" He sags in Gunthor's grip and gasps air as he tries to compose himself. "Walk around, traveller. Just walk around."

"Never! Walking would take three times as long and expose us to dangers untold."

"Untold you say ... then you have never heard of .... The Boat! Many have tried to mount it. Many have failed. Some get in, but they foolishly try to aid their less able companions. They think they can swim. Think. But not always. They forget - mid swim - and begin to drown and then... oh then, they try to get in the blasted cursed boat and it capsizes and they die. And then come the insects, the bloat and the stench."

Gunthor reels back at the revelation, letting the man fall to the ground. "What sort of foul sorcery bewitches this lake?"

Arthran the Mage steps forward and strokes his beard. "I have heard of this before ... the Wizards of the Marble Tower called it ... Compounded Percentile Skill Tests."

The group fell into silence for they knew that they were ****.
Omnihedron Games - Publisher of Duty & Honour and Beat to Quarters
Keep up-to-date with Omnihedron on Facebook or Google+
ZackSpacks - "I get highly amused by Neil Gow’s constant slagging of Call of Cthulhu"
Jonny Gray - "Ron Edwards is no way as passionate as The Gow"
Nick Reynolds - "Suffice to say no Gon was left Un-zoed in this tour-de-force of Gow cod-British tourism-tat-driven madness."
Neil Gow has received thanks from the following for this post:
decfeeney, dpmcalister, dr_mitch, Evilgaz, jonnygray, Kaiserjez, satbunny, Stronty Girl, The Crypt Keeper, Wizball and 3 more users
Neil Gow
Gow Bear
Playing: Dresden Files Accelerated
Running: Nothing!
Planning: Symbaroum, Monsterhearts 2, Bubblegumshoe, Unliving, Dead of Night...

Postby dr_mitch » 11:44am on 14 Sep 17

I think I still want binary results most of the time. BUT.... I want "no" and "yes, but" both to be options for failed rolls. The classic examples being:

"Can I climb the cliff?"
"Yes, but you take some damage on the way."

"Can I pick the lock."
"Yes, but you're slow and alert the guards."

Both of these work so much better for me than just "no". Though sometimes a simple "no" is natural and doesn't block.
Sometimes for me, I like a complication with a failed roll. For example.

"Do I manage to sweet talk my way past the guard?"
"No, and he's now suspicious and wants to arrest you."

"Do I manage to find the information you're looking for when gathering gossip?"
"No, and you run into a gang of street toughs. Still, if you get through this you can try again if you want to."

Like the OP, in practice there doesn't end up much difference between "yes, but" and "no, but".
dr_mitch has received thanks from the following for this post:
Darran, dpmcalister, Polar Blues, satbunny
dr_mitch
dr_mitch
Playing: Ashen Stars
Running: The One Ring
Planning: Lots. Always.

Postby SJE » 12:05pm on 14 Sep 17

ragr wrote:
thenovalord wrote:And 0.0001% of the time falling out of the boat bags you the One Ring.......

Happy Eleventy-First Ragr!
"Forth, and fear no darkness! Arise. Arise, Riders of Theoden. Spears shall be shaken, shields shall be splintered! A sword day... a red day... ere the sun rises. Ride now!... Ride now!... Ride! Ride for ruin and the world's ending!"

Exalted Actual Play: Gem City Watch! || Dark Heresy- Silver Dawn/The Castermere Look/The Beiderbeck Investigation || ASOI&F - A Knights Tale || Cold City: BSG || Rogue Trader: Eastern Fringes Trading Co. || Elric: Inception in the Dreaming City || Masks of Nyarlathotep-7e||Super(Mad)men from the Stars||V20: The Red List|| Dracula Dossier @LongCon2016
SJE has received thanks from the following for this post:
dr_mitch, satbunny
SJE
17th-level

Postby ragr » 12:13pm on 14 Sep 17

SJE wrote:
ragr wrote:

Happy Eleventy-First Ragr!

Whisper it, Cousin Faffy Underhillovergroundwomblingfree. I may be lying abouts its birthdays to gets my ringly.
dr_mitch, satbunny
ragr
18th-level

Postby DigitalMage » 12:23pm on 14 Sep 17

dr_mitch wrote:I think I still want binary results most of the time. BUT.... I want "no" and "yes, but" both to be options for failed rolls.

Effectively a Succeed at Cost option when a dice roll is failed. Fate allows for this option, as does Star Trek Adventures.
R Grant Erswell
Geek in wolf's clothing
DigitalMage has received thanks from the following for this post:
Darran, dr_mitch, satbunny
DigitalMage
Dice Funder
Playing: Nothing
Running: Nothing
Planning: M&M2e Freedom City campaign part 2

Postby dr_mitch » 1:44pm on 14 Sep 17

ragr wrote:Whisper it, Cousin Faffy Underhillovergroundwomblingfree. I may be lying abouts its birthdays to gets my ringly.

I don't recommend it. Those things will mess you up you, know... [gollum- sorry, something in my throat].
ragr
dr_mitch
dr_mitch

Postby dr_mitch » 1:45pm on 14 Sep 17

DigitalMage wrote:
dr_mitch wrote:I think I still want binary results most of the time. BUT.... I want "no" and "yes, but" both to be options for failed rolls.

Effectively a Succeed at Cost option when a dice roll is failed. Fate allows for this option, as does Star Trek Adventures.

Very true. I make no claims to be novel here.
Polar Blues, satbunny
dr_mitch
dr_mitch

Postby Darran » 2:23pm on 14 Sep 17

Polar Blues wrote:
Elina wrote:
As for the term "meh", I am not really sure I understand what this means. For me "meh" is something that I could take or leave, that I feel lukewarm about. In a question about whether the roll is a success or failure, I do not get how a "meh" result translates. Maybe there is a different use of the term "meh" that I do not get.

Yeah sorry, that was just me being flippant. "Meh" sounded funny to me as I figured this to be a not entirely serious thread. Probably would have been clearer had I gone for "Yes", "No", "Something in Between."

The question is, what would you call that 'Something in Between'? :?:
Cheers,
Darran
-----------------------------
'A lack of planning on your part does not constitute an Emergency on my part'-http://darransims.livejournal.com/
Playing crappy characters on a whim for +35 years!
Darran has received thanks from the following for this post:
Polar Blues, satbunny
Darran
Dice Funder
Playing: Nothing
Running: Firefly, Supernatural.
Planning: Wilderness Throne, Tales from the Loop.

Postby simonpaulburley » 3:50pm on 14 Sep 17

I think a poll would be interesting. If I was asked to rank rolls in the order I'd prefer them to come up, I'd go:

Yes and
Yes but
No but
No and
Yes
No
Meh

In other words I'm contrary and would rather fail with "story" than have a bland "success". I suspect I'm not alone.....
"People don't stop playing because they get old. They get old because they stop playing."

Been around since original D&D
Author of Golden Heroes, Squadron UK, The Comics Code,The Code of the Spacelanes, The Code of Steam and Steel, The Code of Warrirors and Wizardry and The Super Hack.

I attend lots of RPG conventions in the UK. I Attend non-RPG "geek" conventions to promote The Hobby using my "Choose Your Adventure" set up. I blog about both of these things here: https://rpgs4all.blogspot.co.uk .
simonpaulburley has received thanks from the following for this post:
Darran, satbunny
simonpaulburley
Spaghetti ConJunction
Playing: The odd game at Conventions
Running: "Code" books - Comics, SciFi, SteamPunk, Anime.The Black Hack.
Planning: Manifold multi-genre RPG. More Code Books - Fantasyand Horror next

Postby ragr » 4:06pm on 14 Sep 17

dr_mitch wrote:"Do I manage to sweet talk my way past the guard?"
"No, and he's now suspicious and wants to arrest you."

"Do I manage to find the information you're looking for when gathering gossip?"
"No, and you run into a gang of street toughs. Still, if you get through this you can try again if you want to."

For me the first example is actually just a plain old no. You've tried to sweet talk a way through and it failed to work so there is going to be a repercussion and the suspicion element is pretty much set as the obvious cost of failure; there is effectively no plain old no result here as what does he do with that result? Stand and blink at you? I think the "and" result would be that he's suspicious and he calls two of his mates over so you now have to deal with a group of suspicious hombres.

The second one fits my understanding a treat, however.
dr_mitch, satbunny
ragr
18th-level

Postby Polar Blues » 7:05pm on 14 Sep 17

Darran wrote:The question is, what would you call that 'Something in Between'? :?:

SiB?
Bounty Hunters of the Atomic Wastelands A post-apocalyptic western game based on Fate. It's simple, it's free and it's in colour! http://ukrpdc.wordpress.com/2014/01/05/bounty-hunters-of-the-atomic-wastelands/
Cyberblues City Cyberblues is a bit like cyberpunk, only more mellow. https://ukrpdc.wordpress.com/2015/10/04/cyberblues-city/
Polar Blues has received thanks from the following for this post:
Darran, satbunny
Polar Blues
11th-level

Postby thenovalord » 7:28pm on 14 Sep 17

Yes, and then some! Would be my top banana!
thenovalord has received thanks from the following for this post:
Darran, satbunny
thenovalord
The Mighty Vest
Playing: Mummys Mask, The Sprawl
Running: Ironfang Invasion
Planning: D&D 5th, Some Kickstarters

Postby Grinnen Baeritt » 8:05pm on 14 Sep 17

Ahhh. so it was a Hackmaster game! That explains everything... the boat was in fact not a boat... but an Aquatic Time-eating Mimic.

It obviously feasted well that day.

(Personally, I'd be more worried about PC's that develop a Sado- masochistic desire to throw themselves in front of chimeric beasts.... the desire not to get into boats in-case they turn into temporal carnivores is quite understandable.)
Grinnen Baeritt has received thanks from the following for this post:
Darran, Elina, satbunny
Grinnen Baeritt
ConTingency
Playing: Ahem (World of Tanks)...and Warhammer 3rd! .
Running: Blue Planet
Planning: Global Recovery and a way to organise my RPG collection

Postby thenovalord » 10:26pm on 15 Sep 17

Desperately trying not to waste my weekend creating

Boat: A Hack for Witch
thenovalord has received thanks from the following for this post:
dr_mitch, Kaiserjez
thenovalord
The Mighty Vest
Playing: Mummys Mask, The Sprawl
Running: Ironfang Invasion