What makes your fantasy, fantastic?

FAQ | Search | Register | Login
View unanswered posts | View active topics | View your posts
Want to talk, specifically, about RPGs? Then post it here. Questions, comments, and views are all welcomed.

What makes your fantasy, fantastic?

Postby jonnygray » 7:15pm on 31 Mar 11

What do you need in your fantasy game?

My usual favourite is dark-ages, but I like a medieval flavour as well. A little bit of magic and lots of fighting, violence, adventure and gold!....oh and a little bit of roleplaying.

Sword and Sorcery I'm not sure qualifies, but I'll hold judgement.

I hate T'Skrang and Duckmen.

What's your desired weapon, armour, spell?

Elves with thorns in their skin are proper ****!

I like flying ships :oops:
jonnygray
50 Shades...
Playing: The Sprawl
Running: Nowt
Planning: To read through my copy of BitD

Re: What makes your fantasy, fantastic?

Postby jonnygray » 7:29pm on 31 Mar 11

Marsten wrote:But more than that, I'll also settle for something that will happily let me ride into battle on the back of a dragon, while waving a blackrock sword above my head in one hand while throwing magic missiles with the other.

Cool :D Just out of curiousity, when was the last time you did that? Not picking or anything. It's just, I wouldn't mind doing stuff like that, but i realise I never have :cry:
jonnygray
50 Shades...

Postby dpmcalister » 7:38pm on 31 Mar 11

It depends on the mood I'm in to be honest. I have three favourite settings and each is different from the others:

With that in mind, it's hard for me to put into words why I like each :?
My administrator/moderator voice is RED.

UK Role Players Affiliate Schemes: Amazon :: CafePress :: DriveThruRPG :: D&D Classics :: ProFantasy :: RPGNow
Personal Links: Blog :: Flickr :: LinkedIn :: Twitter
dpmcalister has received thanks from the following for this post:
jonnygray
dpmcalister
Administrator
Running: D&D 5e: Under Illefarn; Lost Mines of Phandelver; Storm King's Thunder

Postby jonnygray » 7:49pm on 31 Mar 11

dpmcalister wrote:It depends on the mood I'm in to be honest. I have three favourite settings and each is different from the others:

But is there a common default in those three settings? Obviously there are elves, dwarves, goblins, orks etc. So are these the examples you want in your fantasy?
jonnygray
50 Shades...

Postby dpmcalister » 8:17pm on 31 Mar 11

Quite possibly - I do enjoy the "standard" tropes (with various amendments as necessary for campaign flavour of course).
My administrator/moderator voice is RED.

UK Role Players Affiliate Schemes: Amazon :: CafePress :: DriveThruRPG :: D&D Classics :: ProFantasy :: RPGNow
Personal Links: Blog :: Flickr :: LinkedIn :: Twitter
dpmcalister
Administrator
Running: D&D 5e: Under Illefarn; Lost Mines of Phandelver; Storm King's Thunder

Postby thenovalord » 9:06pm on 31 Mar 11

Yeah, something i can finally write an essay......OK
my gaming has probably 85% been fantasy over the 28 years
28 years x 10 hours a week......its an awful lot of rolled 1’s, slain orcs, gold pieces, forging alliances and building castles.

I have played a lot, and some really big long run campaigns....all over the Frontiers of Alusia, up to masters set in D&D, Just everywhere and age in middle earth, and now quite a bit of Golarion

D&D, runequest, dragonquest, BoL, RM, MERP, and a very large number of home written systems and settings.

I like spells.
Lots of spells
Whether its
-BoL mould it to what you wish,
-Pathfinder simple fire and forget or
-complicated with good use of colleges, themes, trappings like the mighty Dragonquest (which is my fave magic system)
I really like ‘summoning and binding’ type things to do your bidding style of magic

I like magic items
OR rather items with power, legacy, heritage, enchantments
I like characters to have 2,3,4 of these things...
I like the system and setting to see these things forged, but often at great cost of time, effort, ingredient etc.
I love the image of the forging of the ring and that sort of stuff. Masters-of-the-five-magics novel.
Putting your essence into what you create.
Again the mighty Dragonquest fits the bill for me,
but id liked Deciphers: LOTR lineage/legacy thing with items (the more heroic deeds you do the better)
Even early AD&D made the fabrication a tricky thing with good wordsmithery.
Rolemaster too did this quite well

One thing 3.5 and 4th did was kill this stone cold with cleanliness and dettol and sterile

Dungeons
Never a great fan of mega dungeons.....if you don’t get the feel and purpose of it in 12-15 ‘encounters/areas/rooms’ etc then i lose interest. I like them to make sense with regard ecosystem and geology!!

Maps
oooohhhhh, I love a good map. Its makes me ooze ideas

the populace are aware....
If its a land of trolls and goblins and unicorns and dark things in the night, then the population are aware of it, they may not be able to do much about it but the head-in-the-sands WHFRP makes me vomit!

I like small beginnings
In the 1790 we built up a nice co-op setting with many GMS, in our DPM days....
e.g I really like the way Basic/expert/companion built up from the
-go to the local dungeon
-something wrong in the next town, explore it, the dungeon is in the wilderness
-simple dungeon bashers become important, politics, seeking allies etc
Dragonquest again does this quite well, by starting with barley competent characters, but not full of fail like some grim-n-gritty

-you become a lord baron ,duke ruler as the campaign goes on...which leads me too
CAMPAIGNS: The Long Game
if it lasts for years and stays fresh, excellent. This week I’ve run Session 32 of the weekly Pathfinder Kingmaker campaign. About 60% way through. Its six modules that I’ve sometimes changed bits of to make them more chatty than combat, and both me and players have had lots input into.
-ive been in up to 27th level over a good year and a bit of intense D&D when i was pre-alcohol
-10 year on and off MERP thing
- a number of year long weekely sessions things with the 1790

Campaigning has got harder to sustain as ive got older. I still have as much time, too many other distractions maybe way too many games out there

Races
Yeah don’t mind as long as they don’t look too silly or are a power-munchkins wet dream

Theme
Big variety......my personal shtick is ‘the past coming full circle / heroes repeating-revisiting heroes and legends of the past, with lots twist and revelation, and the party really feeling connected to it, and players buying in and making contribution of all sorts, and do they do what their forebears could not.
not too much 'tech' or misng in with blackpowder and such

No too quirky
I can sometimes get ‘judge-book-by-cover’ and the first few pages and be put off by too much quirkiness or if the imagery just doesn’t appeal or if the base premise is sh'ite.
So standardish tropes for me. elves are tall and aloof and with much innate and unbalancing power.

Its not Savage Worlds
Much as I was blown away by the delicious of SW, and think it awesome for ‘pulp-pirate-pokes’ and have played lots in the 3 or 4 years since, it just doesn’t do fantasy for me this is a whole separate essay

Low Fantasy is good too
Not a massive reader of fantasy novels they never go as id like i did read lots elric, fahrd, Micheal Scotts Magicians et al Law, and there somewhat lower key appeals for me to play in.

Dragons
Yep and they better be bloody terrifying and overawing and not be beaten in a straight fight...so Dragonquest and RM do this from my past times.
thenovalord has received thanks from the following for this post:
jonnygray, w00hoo
thenovalord
The Mighty Vest
Playing: Symbaroum, PFS
Running: Ironfang Invasion, Tomb Annihaltion, Starfinder
Planning: Kickstarter stuff

Postby jonnygray » 10:43pm on 31 Mar 11

thenovalord wrote:I like spells.

I like spells too :D

thenovalord wrote:I like magic items

I do. But more as something special to the adventure. Don't like it when everyone has a sack full, it makes magic less special.

thenovalord wrote:Dungeons

I actually quite like dungeons. Especially if someone has taken the time to draw it out.

thenovalord wrote:Maps
oooohhhhh, I love a good map. Its makes me ooze ideas

I know matey.....I know :wink:

thenovalord wrote:the populace are aware....

Amen to that brother :D

thenovalord wrote:I like small beginnings

No you don't.

thenovalord wrote:CAMPAIGNS: The Long Game

Looking forward to it :wink:
Last edited by jonnygray on 10:51pm on 31 Mar 11, edited 1 time in total.
jonnygray
50 Shades...

Postby jonnygray » 10:50pm on 31 Mar 11

thenovalord wrote:Races
Yeah don’t mind as long as they don’t look too silly or are a power-munchkins wet dream

I hear you!

thenovalord wrote:Theme
Big variety......my personal shtick is ‘the past coming full circle / heroes repeating-revisiting heroes and legends of the past, with lots twist and revelation, and the party really feeling connected to it, and players buying in and making contribution of all sorts, and do they do what their forebears could not.
not too much 'tech' or misng in with blackpowder and such

Yep. You've got to have a 'buy in'. Something to grab your interest as a player too. Didn't understand you about this at first, but I get it now :D

thenovalord wrote:No too quirky
I can sometimes get ‘judge-book-by-cover’ and the first few pages and be put off by too much quirkiness or if the imagery just doesn’t appeal or if the base premise is sh'ite.
So standardish tropes for me.

Seems to be happening a lot if you ask me.

thenovalord wrote:elves are tall and aloof and with much innate and unbalancing power.

You are dead to me.

thenovalord wrote:Its not Savage Worlds
Much as I was blown away by the delicious of SW, and think it awesome for ‘pulp-pirate-pokes’ and have played lots in the 3 or 4 years since, it just doesn’t do fantasy for me this is a whole separate essay

See you in court.

thenovalord wrote:Low Fantasy is good too

Come back. All is forgiven.

thenovalord wrote:Dragons
Yep and they better be bloody terrifying and overawing and not be beaten in a straight fight...so Dragonquest and RM do this from my past times.

You and me could make some beautiful babies.
jonnygray
50 Shades...

Postby dr_mitch » 11:27pm on 31 Mar 11

I've strong thoughts here...as usual, I'll probably get round to formulating them when the discussion's over.

Marsten wrote:I suppose because the class system is so inherent to game balance in most fantasy RPGs, the ones that are mostly 'classless' tend to be more hippie indie stuff.

Really? I disagree. I accept that the two biggest fantasy RPGs are D&D and Pathfinder, both of which are class-based, but I'd still judge class-based systems to be in a minority, even for fantasy. Unless you're counting something like Runequest to be hippie indie.

thenovalord wrote:Dragons

Agreed- dragons rock. Actually, there's several of your points I agree with. But not all...that would be too easy. :wink:
dr_mitch has received thanks from the following for this post:
jonnygray
dr_mitch
dr_mitch
Playing: Esoterrorists, Unknown Armies, Cthulhu Invictus
Running: D&D 5e, The One Ring
Planning: Lots. Always.

Postby thenovalord » 11:32pm on 31 Mar 11

I think level based is more the issue than classed base

forex is whfrp class based (i think so), but not quite level based, though pretty close??

Palladium and Rolemaster/MERP both have class and level
thenovalord
The Mighty Vest

Postby jonnygray » 7:43am on 01 Apr 11

I kinda still stick to the class/carreer idea when generating a character, even when the game doesn't really cater for it, as I'm sure most people do. I guess they are more of a template to work from.
jonnygray
50 Shades...

Postby Kaiserjez » 8:48am on 01 Apr 11

thenovalord wrote:Yeah, something i can finally write an essay......OK
{SNIP}

Dude, I reckon you would totally love Artesia.

I've got a copy if you want it adding to Jonny's bookshelf?

It doesn't have any elves (or dwarfs, or halflings, or lizard men) in it though. Which makes it even better IMNSHO.
"And, when the doctor said I didn't have worms any more, that was the happiest day of my life."
Pompey Crew Achievements; Arse Like A Japanese Flag, Harry Redknapp'd, Pompey Social, Crash At Mick's, Spend a Penny, Safety in Numbers, Pass The Arse Gravy, The Jonny Gray's Brother Maneuver, Make Mine A Guinness, The Third Troll, Broken!, Gash Tats, Hello Sailor, Informed judgement, Dedication's what you need, The Fly, It's not trolling if..., Thundercats! Ho!
"Jez has champagne pockets and lemonade eyes." -Indie Pete
Kaiserjez
Jonny Gray's Brother
Playing: Nothing
Running: Nothing
Planning: Loads of stuff that I will never finish

Postby w00hoo » 10:44am on 01 Apr 11

thenovalord wrote:I like magic items
OR rather items with power, legacy, heritage, enchantments
I like characters to have 2,3,4 of these things...
I like the system and setting to see these things forged, but often at great cost of time, effort, ingredient etc.
<snip>
One thing 3.5 and 4th did was kill this stone cold with cleanliness and dettol and sterile

But I'm guessing you like the way Midnight handles its magic items? Unlocking extra bits as you find out more about them, having them 'grow' as you go along rather than just throwing away the +1 sword when a +2 comes along...
"I don't want to remember. But if I don't have the memories, nobody will, so I can't forget." - Samantha.
"I think on this one rare occasion the majority of the fault for the confusion probably lies with me." - Omnifray.
w00hoo
Dice Funder
Playing: Torchwood Victorian, Unisystem Post Apoc, G+ TOR
Planning: Always SFLRP

Postby w00hoo » 10:55am on 01 Apr 11

jonnygray wrote:What do you need in your fantasy game?

I've been really cold on fantasy settings for ages now. I'm not sure why but I think it's because I don't gel with a lot of what people want.

I like low fantasy and gritty. I want to play the struggling party who are doing what they do because it's how they make ends meet rather than because they want to be heroic and adored. I've never been interested in playing high level characters, I don't want my guy to become a lord with a castle and vassals, I'm happy for him to retire to run a bar and surprise random adventurers with his unexpected skill, presuming he doesn't just die in a dank dungeon sacrificing himself for his friends.

I don't like loads of different races, I don't want my party to look like a Benetton advert or the front cover of the Camden Council diversity booklet. If they are there I want them to have a point and a to feel radically different to the humans around them, not just supermodel thin aristocrats with funny stuck on ears.

I want my magic tough and dark and rare, where the mage is feared for just being different and they don't need to cast a spell to have the populance fear them. That or weak hedge magic accessible to all and integrated in to the world. If anyone can learn a healing spell and all it takes is a bit of rechargeable manna to cast I don't want my World populated by diseased cripples who die at 30. There's a freakin' free to use magical NHS right there, think about what it would mean.

And it needs to be vaguely European medieval-ish. Swords and sandles just makes me grumpy for some reason. I think it's all the bright sunshine.
"I don't want to remember. But if I don't have the memories, nobody will, so I can't forget." - Samantha.
"I think on this one rare occasion the majority of the fault for the confusion probably lies with me." - Omnifray.
w00hoo has received thanks from the following for this post:
jonnygray
w00hoo
Dice Funder
Playing: Torchwood Victorian, Unisystem Post Apoc, G+ TOR
Planning: Always SFLRP

Postby thenovalord » 11:21am on 01 Apr 11

Kaiserjez wrote:
thenovalord wrote:Yeah, something i can finally write an essay......OK
{SNIP}

Dude, I reckon you would totally love Artesia.

I've got a copy if you want it adding to YOUR* bookshelf?

It doesn't have any elves (or dwarfs, or halflings, or lizard men) in it though. Which makes it even better IMNSHO.

*fixed that!

will have internet search about it, ta

eidt: http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product_i ... 15815&it=1
looked at comic preview.....far too racy for me!!

i like the way the magic system sounds in the rpgnet review
thenovalord
The Mighty Vest

Next

Return to Open RPG Discussion