Call For Artists: Jonny Gray's Brother Colouring-In Book RPG

FAQ | Search | Register | Login
View unanswered posts | View active topics | View your posts
Want to talk, specifically, about RPGs? Then post it here. Questions, comments, and views are all welcomed.

Call For Artists: Jonny Gray's Brother Colouring-In Book RPG

Postby Pete » 7:51am on 08 Jun 11

Yo sisters

In 2010, the maverick design duo of Evilgaz and Indie Pete - "they are to RPGs what Trinny and Susannah are to home cookery shows" (MARIE CLAIRE) - brought you WALK OR DIE!, the critically acclaimed role-playing game of WWII ballroom dancing and conjoined twins.

Now in 2011, Indie Pete & The Magus bring you the next evolution in tabletop role-playing...

JONNY GRAY'S BROTHER ON A MOTHERF*KING TRAIN: THE COLOURING-IN BOOK & ROLE-PLAYING GAME is a game of searing drama about an ordinary nurse with a star-spawned destiny! It does for cosmic nursing and sentient chamber pots what WALK OR DIE! did for ballroom dancing and conjoined twins. The RPG also breaks new ground by making lots of fun activities central to the role-play: colouring-in-based conflict resolution, paper-dolly-based character generation, and origami-based scenario design are just some of the innovations in this fine game.

However, I NEED YOUR HELP if this game is to be ready for launch at IndieCon. The gameplay is rich with dramatic conflict - lance boils! race comets! anaesthetise living planets! woo three-breasted Martians! catheterise dinos! - and since the conflict resolution system is based on colouring-in drawings, it really needs a lot of drawings. If everyone on UKRP submitted just one drawing, that'd be plenty. Actual drawing skill is not necessary, so if you'd like to help out, just thumb this post and I will send you the art brief. Thnx!

The plan is to launch the JONNY GRAY'S BROTHER ON A MOTHERF*KING TRAIN: THE COLOURING-IN BOOK & ROLE-PLAYING GAME at IndieCon 2011, in a special limited edition that is sure to be a cherished and valuable collectable in years to come. (MSRP £7.99, perfect-bound, b&w, 59pp.) Talks are ongoing to have Jonny Gray's Brother at the Thursday night launch party, so bring along your sharpies and get him to sign your copies and watch him pop a few air babies too.

Excelsior!
Pete
London Indiemeet—Small Press Role-Playing in London
Pete has received thanks from the following for this post:
Avatar, ElaineM, Evilgaz, jonnygray, Kaiserjez, Magus, ncmreynolds, queenortart, w00hoo, Wizball and one more user
Pete
Reaaaally?!
Playing: The Witcher II
Running: Mouse Guard
Planning: Pig, War Stories For Boys

Re: Call For Artists: Jonny Gray's Brother Colouring-In Book

Postby Avatar » 8:46am on 08 Jun 11

So, do you have a list of stuff you want drawn, or shall we just send you random ****?

Any size/shape?
Lovecraftian Cartoons & Comic Strips By Matt Nixon & Sebastian Dietz.
Check out our Website or become a Fan on Facebook.
Never Knowingly Wrong

Postby Kaiserjez » 10:40am on 08 Jun 11

I call this one "Dinosaur Suppository"

And here'sa version that I coloured in myself
"And, when the doctor said I didn't have worms any more, that was the happiest day of my life."
Pompey Crew Achievements; Arse Like A Japanese Flag, Harry Redknapp'd, Pompey Social, Crash At Mick's, Spend a Penny, Safety in Numbers, Pass The Arse Gravy, The Jonny Gray's Brother Maneuver, Make Mine A Guinness, The Third Troll, Broken!, Gash Tats, Hello Sailor, Informed judgement, Dedication's what you need, The Fly, It's not trolling if..., Thundercats! Ho!
"Jez has champagne pockets and lemonade eyes." -Indie Pete
Kaiserjez has received thanks from the following for this post:
Magus, Pete, Scott Dorward
Kaiserjez
Jonny Gray's Brother
Playing: Nothing
Running: Nothing
Planning: Loads of stuff that I will never finish

Postby Avatar » 11:18am on 08 Jun 11

I Really hope that is supposed to be a beard in the coloured version! :P
Lovecraftian Cartoons & Comic Strips By Matt Nixon & Sebastian Dietz.
Check out our Website or become a Fan on Facebook.
Avatar has received thanks from the following for this post:
Darran, Kaiserjez, Pete, Scott Dorward
Never Knowingly Wrong

Postby Rich Stokes » 12:09pm on 08 Jun 11

Kaiserjez wrote:I call this one "Dinosaur Suppository"

Holy ****, thats the funniest thing ive seen for ages!!!
I also write a regular column here about roleplaying games and what we're really doing when we play them. It's kinda dry, but hopefully interesting to at least someone.
Rich Stokes has received thanks from the following for this post:
Kaiserjez
Rich Stokes
14th-level
Playing: D&D (Eladrin Swordmage/Bralani Wintersoul/Queen of the Winter Court)
Running: Swords & Wizardry, tons of other crap.
Planning: Stuff.

Postby Pete » 1:16pm on 08 Jun 11

Hiya

Thanks for the enthusiastic thumbing everyone. Working together, we can make this happen! Woot! :D

Avatar wrote:So, do you have a list of stuff you want drawn, or shall we just send you random ****? Any size/shape?

Excellent questions Avatar.

I don't have a specific list of things to draw - since JGB is an inter-galactic, inter-cosmic, extra-universal, extra-temporal nurse, his surgical visits can see him taken to all manner of crazy places in the universe, and all manner of crazy time periods too. I guess you could say that he's the nursing equivalent of Doctor Who... Nurse Who if you like. As such, anything and everything is up for being the topic of a drawing.

Take inspiration from Kirby! The rich body of Doctor Who material is also fruitful. Weird aliens, dying stars, exploding planets, strange verdant cities, cosmic terrors from beyond the stars, and suchlike. Remember also that Jonny Gray's Brother is a medical nurse who feels no pain, and so the rich tapestry of the medical profession is also relevant: syringes, bandaged faces, giant x-ray machines, doctors, other nurses, terrible war injuries, infected boils... the list is endless.

I do have some general artistic guidelines though:

• drawings must be black and white. Since this is a colouring-in book, the reason for this guideline is obvious enough.
  • no photos, drawings only please.
  • nice thick black lines that leave plenty of whitespace to colour-in.
  • detailed, intricate drawings are fine, but bold and chunky is better
  • no shading, hatching, or other such effects.
  • A4-sized drawings are best, with ~half-page drawings being the smallest size that I'll accept
  • if the words "inter-cosmically mathematical!" are the first to cross your lips when you behold your final drawing, you've cracked it
  • Final Submission Date: August 31st, 2011
  • Formats: lossless PNGs, TIFs, PhotoShop files are preferred, but I'll take JPEGs and other lossy formats in a pinch.
  • Submissions: attached as files in comments on this thread, or emailed to playdesignplay@gmail.com
Jonny Gray's Brother's contribution is an excellent example. It's in black and white, it features nice chunky areas that just scream for the application of crayon, it features a dino which is always popular, and it offers a compelling insight into the strange and crazy world of cosmic nursing. Seriously, in what other RPG are you going to find showing a suppository up a dinosaur's bottom sitting alongside the wooing of the fragrant RASHABAL, THREE-BOSOMED PRINCESS OF RIGEL IV?

Cheers
Pete
Kaiserjez, Magus
Pete
Reaaaally?!

Postby Kaiserjez » 9:42pm on 08 Jun 11

This one is called "Mick's face when I waxed his balls at Indiecon"
Last edited by Kaiserjez on 9:42am on 09 Jun 11, edited 1 time in total.
"And, when the doctor said I didn't have worms any more, that was the happiest day of my life."
Pompey Crew Achievements; Arse Like A Japanese Flag, Harry Redknapp'd, Pompey Social, Crash At Mick's, Spend a Penny, Safety in Numbers, Pass The Arse Gravy, The Jonny Gray's Brother Maneuver, Make Mine A Guinness, The Third Troll, Broken!, Gash Tats, Hello Sailor, Informed judgement, Dedication's what you need, The Fly, It's not trolling if..., Thundercats! Ho!
Pete
Kaiserjez
Jonny Gray's Brother

Postby Kaiserjez » 9:56pm on 08 Jun 11

And this one is "Mick and Toady get some quality time together"

I'm assuming it's ok to include characters other than Jonny Gray's brother, right? I mean, it's pretty hard to beleive, but perhaps not everybody wants to "be" Jonny Gray's brother?
mr toad, Pete
Kaiserjez
Jonny Gray's Brother

Postby Mick Red » 11:36pm on 08 Jun 11

ROFL
This cheered a totally **** week up....cheers guys.... and Jisim where are my tatts in the bath pic
Mick Red
Gibbering Mouther
Playing: Esoterrorists
Running: Into the Odd
Planning: Yoon-Suin

Postby Kaiserjez » 7:54am on 09 Jun 11

Mick Red wrote:where are my tatts in the bath pic

Dude, it's a colouring in book. I figured the kiddies might like to draw you with sparkly unicorns and fairy tatts instead of the crap you have got.
Kaiserjez
Jonny Gray's Brother

Postby Pete » 9:23am on 09 Jun 11

Oh Jez, those are sweet.

Kaiserjez wrote:I'm assuming it's ok to include characters other than Jonny Gray's brother, right? I mean, it's pretty hard to beleive, but perhaps not everybody wants to "be" Jonny Gray's brother?

Oh sure. I mean like, that is pretty hard to believe, but sure, go for it.

Cheers
P
Pete
Reaaaally?!

Postby Pete » 9:29am on 09 Jun 11

Oh!

I'm delighted to be able to share that I've just received a stellar submission of artwork by email! (Hopefully the first of many.) Let me tell you, the artwork attached to that email... well, it's something special. I'm going to hold the artwork back so that it can be a surprise to everyone when they get their copy of the game at IndieCon, but I will share the subject of just one of the drawings. (Yes, the artist submitted more than one drawing.)

BADDY. OCTO. PIRATE.

Pretty cool huh? My mind is suddenly filled with images of Jonny Gray's Brother riding a stellar space squid through clouds of gamma-irradiated cosmic ink released by the dreaded octo pirates of Antares VII. But wait! There's even more coolness, because the very next drawing in the email is one of a baddy octo pirate... ON FIRE!!!

Yeah! I know! Cosmically Mathematical! It will be a special joy to colour in this drawing, really.

I look forward to further stellar contributions, excelsior!
Pete
Pete
Reaaaally?!

Postby queenortart » 9:53am on 09 Jun 11

So we can draw anything we like right?

ANYTHING?
I shall be writing a strongly worded letter to the Times
queenortart
Dice Funder
Playing: Not anough
Running: Nowt
Planning: Once Upon a Fairytale, a weekend freeform for 2015

Postby Pete » 10:31am on 09 Jun 11

Hi QoT

Sure, ANYTHING goes.

It's probably best to keep the subject matter relatively above board, since children might be keen to colour-in the pages. Jez's "Mick & Toad Bath Fun" drawing is probably at the upper limit of saucy subject matter, while his anatomically interesting drawing of a dinosaur suppository procedure is awesome because it's a) got a dino in it, b) got Jez in it, and c) is an effective educational aid because it clearly demonstrates the correct procedure. Kid's love stuff to do with bodies, as this classic pop-up book demonstrates.

I hope that this means I can look forward to some cosmically mathematical pictures from your pen/brush/knitting needle. Interstellar space is cold, so cosmic nurses love a good knitted jumper or pair of lovingly knitted mittens. Cosmic Jez is also not averse to frockage.

Cheers
Pete
Kaiserjez
Pete
Reaaaally?!

Postby queenortart » 10:47am on 09 Jun 11