UKRP 2011 Gaming Awards - The Winners

FAQ | Search | Register | Login
View unanswered posts | View active topics | View your posts
Want to talk, specifically, about RPGs? Then post it here. Questions, comments, and views are all welcomed.

UKRP 2011 Gaming Awards - The Winners

Postby mr toad » 12:20pm on 01 Feb 12

Hi,

First of all I just wanted to say thank you to everyone who took the time to write a Citation.

I know as much as the next person, that sometimes you just want to game. Why spend time discussing theory or best practices or which style of gaming is the best? Why spend time telling people about your session if a. they were there or b. they weren't there and they may not care? Why spend time completing a review for people outside of your group who you will never game with?

Why? Because RP'ing is much more than just the game. It's spending time with like minded (most of the time) people. It's about sharing ideas to create something that everyone can enjoy. It's about talking nonsense that means something. It's about collaboration and cultivating this unique hobby so that it grows in a way we want it to grow and rewarding us with the games we want to see.

So thank you, you are the reason why this hobby is so much fun and you are the reason why I continue to be amazed, shocked, stunned and blown away by the quality and the thought behind the games out there today...I can't wait to see what tomorrow brings.

Thank you!

Toad
mr toad has received thanks from the following for this post:
Elina, Evilgaz, James Mullen, Pete, Scott Dorward
mr toad
Portsmouth

Re: UKRP 2011 Gaming Awards - The Winners

Postby mr toad » 12:22pm on 01 Feb 12

Just one more thing before I announce the winners...due to not receiving any (valid) nominations, the following categories will have no winner:

UKRP LARP designer of 2011
UKRP LARP of 2011
UKRP newcomer

With that done lets get on with the winners...
mr toad
Portsmouth

UKRP forum contributor of the year:

Postby mr toad » 12:38pm on 01 Feb 12

UKRP forum contributor of the year

A three way battle royale between the very best our hobby has to offer in the form of:

Pete (formally Indie)

Neil Gow

Evilgaz

Myself and the fellow judges had a difficult time with deciding a winner. We had to look at all the reasons why someone might want to visit this forum. Then decide which one of our shortlisted contributed most to people coming here, enjoying what they are reading and also, if possible, taking something away with them to enhance their own gaming.

And so the winner of UKRP forum contributor of the Year (2011) is...

Neil Gow
Last edited by mr toad on 12:47pm on 01 Feb 12, edited 1 time in total.
dpmcalister, Pete
mr toad
Portsmouth

UKRP topic of 2011

Postby mr toad » 12:47pm on 01 Feb 12

UKRP topic of 2011

There were 5 nominations for the judges consideration of UKRP topic of 2011 they were:

Casual racism Ok because it's in genre

Positive post per day

Colouring In Book

What makes your fantasy, fantastic?

Why aren't you playing D&D?

My favourite category to judge as I got to spend time looking at the best threads of 2011 and remember why I spend time on UK Roleplayers and why I enjoy it. A real mix of thought provoking to lightweight topics with everything in between. However it shows that one game is still making us talk after all these years.

The winner of the UKRP topic of 2011 is...

Why aren't you playing D&D?
dpmcalister, Pete
mr toad
Portsmouth

Best new rules design of 2011

Postby mr toad » 12:55pm on 01 Feb 12

Best new rules design of 2011

With each new year we see more and more rpg's with unique rules. Sometimes these rules seem gimmicky, a selling point or just something new for the sake of something new. But sometimes designers get it spot on and deliver us a rule that not only controls the game but enhances it too.

Although we only got one (valid) nomination for Best rules design of 2011 it seems that it has a lot of people excited and curious to try it.

The winner of best new rules design of 2011 is...

Fatigue/Exhaustion rule (The One Ring)
dpmcalister, Pete, thenovalord
mr toad
Portsmouth

Best artwork in an RPG of 2011

Postby mr toad » 1:09pm on 01 Feb 12

Best artwork in an RPG of 2011

We had two games go head to head for the title of Best artwork in an RPG of 2011 they were:

The One Ring RPG

Airship Pirates

I remember being a young whippersnapper back in the early 90's looking a huge array of dizzyingly colourful game books upon the shelves of my FLGS. I remember flicking through some of the books and being blown away by the artwork. I remember the inspiration, excitement and motivation the artwork gave me to play these games. Today I can still spend hours and hours flicking through a well produced game book and although my taste in rules have radically changed since I was a lad my appreciation and the inspiration I feel, because of the artwork, never has.

The winner of Best artwork in an RPG of 2011 is...

bart.png
bart.png (100.92 KiB) Viewed 1977 times
dpmcalister, Pete
mr toad
Portsmouth

UKRP RP retailer of 2011

Postby mr toad » 1:20pm on 01 Feb 12

UKRP RP retailer of 2011

The following retailers were considered for this award...

Leisure Games.

Games Keeper

Spirit Games

Paizo.com

Impact Games (sorry no link)

Patriot Games

It seems there are a lot of really good RP retailers out there. And although people have widely different tastes in the actual games we play. It was unanimous what constitutes as a great retailer. Are they accessible? Do they stock the games you are interested in? Do they strive to give excellent customer service? Are they knowledgeable of the products they sell? And would you recommend them to a friend? A few of the nominations hit some of these but only one hit them all.

The winner of the UKRP RP Retailer of 2011 is...

2011-shop-of-the-year.png
2011-shop-of-the-year.png (71.54 KiB) Viewed 1969 times
dpmcalister, Pete
mr toad
Portsmouth

UKRP Con GM of the Year

Postby mr toad » 1:33pm on 01 Feb 12

UKRP Con GM of the Year

Although some people aren't keen on this category I feel is important we recognise those in our hobby who are prepared to run games at cons. And recognise those people who have ensured that the majority of con goers have a great time gaming. Without these people are hobby just wouldn't exist. This list can in no way recognise all the GM's/DM's that run a great game as I'm certain there loads out there that just play the game without ever realising how much fun they are making it for other people.

The UKRP shortlist is made up by:

Scott Dorward

Lisa Platts

Evil Gaz

James Mullen

Indie Steph

Wow! If I saw any of those names on a con sheet I could guarantee two things...1. It would be a great game 2. The sign up sheet would be full. But we had to get it down to one person.

The winner of UKRP Con GM of the Year is...

Evilgaz
Baz King, dpmcalister, Evilgaz, Pete, Scott Dorward
mr toad
Portsmouth

UKRP Con Player of the Year

Postby mr toad » 1:45pm on 01 Feb 12

UKRP Con Player of the Year

The following people made the shortlist for UKRP Con Player of the Year:

Kelly Van Der Laan-Willemse

Scott Dorward

Jane. (3Jane on this board and elsewhere.)

Ben Cole & Helen Garvey

Elina

Mik Reed

Sometimes went I game I get to meet people who just blow my mind. They are able to come up with just the right input without hogging the game. They are inclusive and make you feel part of their narration. They don't hold back from enjoying themselves and get into character without any trepidation. These people make my hobby special and should be recognised for it. Like GM's there are a number of awesome players that most of us will never game with. So we do our best to recognise those who we have had the fortune to game with. As many predicted this category was the hardest to judge and collectively decide. Which is why we couldn't split two of our finalists and why we have decided to award...

The UKRP Con Player of the Year to...

Scott Dorward and Elina
3Jane, dpmcalister, Elina, Evilgaz, Pete, Scott Dorward, wraithben
mr toad
Portsmouth

UKRP Con of the Year (2011)

Postby mr toad » 1:53pm on 01 Feb 12

UKRP Con of the Year 2011

The following cons made the shortlist for UKRP Con of the Year:

Furnace

IndieCon

Dragonmeet

Concrete Cow

UKExpo

Essentially this came down to a two way tie between two very different but two very good cons. It was without a doubt the closest run decision and could have gone either way. It seems people want different things from their cons. From time away from RL to hardcore 24/7 gaming to spending money at trade stands. The winner of the UKRP Con of the Year manages to balance these three factors in a laid back and friendly atmosphere. If you haven't been its certainly one to put on the gaming calendar 2012.

The winner of UKRP Con of the year is...

2011-con-of-the-year.png
2011-con-of-the-year.png (80.74 KiB) Viewed 1919 times
Darran, dpmcalister, ElaineM, Evilgaz, Pete, Tim Gray
mr toad
Portsmouth

UKRP Game of the Year

Postby mr toad » 2:09pm on 01 Feb 12

UKRP Game of the Year

The following games have made the shortlist for UKRP Game of the Year:

Smallville

Microscope

Kerberos Club

Bulldogs

Mongoose Legend

Hit a Dude

Lamentations of the Flame Princess

Vampire: The Masquerade

Ashen Stars

Albion

Well you didn't make it easy for us! We spend time discussing why one game should win over the other and of course because the panel was diverse and wanting different thing from their gaming it was hard to agree on the arguments for and against. However there were a few names that were coming up over and over. One of them was...

Night's Black Agents

BUT! It's not been officially released yet meaning it was ruled out. And as Dave said:

dpmcalister wrote:On the plus side it means I have something I can nominate for the 2013 awards (assuming the Mayans aren't right ;))

So we were left with two games. One of them was Bulldogs...but it didn't win.

The winner of UKRP Game of the Year 2011 is...

2011-game-of-the-year.png
2011-game-of-the-year.png (73.77 KiB) Viewed 1903 times
dpmcalister, Pete, Tim Gray
mr toad
Portsmouth

Postby ElaineM » 2:09pm on 01 Feb 12

Absolutely thrilled that Furnace got Convention of the Year :)
http://www.furnace.org.uk
Furnace and Revelation Games Tsar
ElaineM has received thanks from the following for this post:
dpmcalister, mr toad, Pete
ElaineM
Furnace
Playing: -
Running: -
Planning: Con games.

EXTRA SEPCIAL THANKS

Postby mr toad » 2:30pm on 01 Feb 12

I wanted to say an extra special thanks to the following people for all your time and help...

w00hoo...A genuinely nice bloke who is more than happy to help out others. I also hear he runs an awesome game of 3:16. Hope your back gets better soon mate.

Kaiserjez...Jez has a special place in my heart and as such I will love him in unnatural ways. The best one line reviewer in the business and owner of most unplayed roleplaying games I know.

Neil Smith...Founder of Concrete Cow and by all accounts an outstanding roleplayer. Neil swooped in last minute and saved the day for the rest of us on a couple of decisions.

Shane...If there ever was a man who deserved UKRP Best Newcomer of 2011 it would be Shane. However it appears he joined the forum in December 2010. :oops: Really appreciate your honest and open opinions mate.

and of course:

Dave McAlister...Truly a god among us mortals, Dave unselfishly gives up his time (even though he has a family) to ensure the number 1 roleplaying forum in the world (not just the UK) continues to improve, grow and become my main reason to avoid work. Thank you so much Dave it is very much appriciated!

All the best and thank you once again,

Toad
dpmcalister, Evilgaz, Pete
mr toad
Portsmouth

Postby Neil Smith » 2:32pm on 01 Feb 12

Many congratulations to all the winners!

None of the decisions was easy, but it's great to see so much in the UK RPG scene that deserves recognition and celebration.

Keep it up, guys!
Milton Keynes RPG club. Tuesday evenings. Come join us!
Concrete Cow 17: A one-day con on 18 March 2017.
Neil Smith has received thanks from the following for this post:
Evilgaz, mr toad, Pete, Scott Dorward
Neil Smith
Concrete Cow
Playing: Monster of the Week, Tenra Bansho Zero
Planning: Freemarket, Blades in the Dark, Earthdawn/Cortex+ hack

Next

Return to Open RPG Discussion