17 (sessions) in 17

FAQ | Search | Register | Login
View unanswered posts | View active topics | View your posts
Want to talk, specifically, about RPGs? Then post it here. Questions, comments, and views are all welcomed.

17 (sessions) in 17

Postby Neil Gow » 9:04pm on 21 Dec 16

Its that time of year again isn't it? When people make gaming resolutions. I recall that one that has been popular over the last couple of years has been to play a shedload of games in the year - 51 in 15 or something like that? It twangs a dissonant chord in me, you know. One of the things that has always confused me about board games is that people spend an extraordinary amount on them and then play them once or twice. Similarly, I see RPGs given one single run out and it makes me sad. Many of these games need time to breathe and expand. They were never designed for a one-shot, leave it all on the table flash game. They were made for a campaign.

Maybe that's what should be the pledge for 2017? Pick a system and pledge to run a 17 session campaign of it! Be the champion of one game and let the community know whether it lasts the test of time?
Omnihedron Games - Publisher of Duty & Honour and Beat to Quarters
Keep up-to-date with Omnihedron on Facebook or Google+
ZackSpacks - "I get highly amused by Neil Gow’s constant slagging of Call of Cthulhu"
Jonny Gray - "Ron Edwards is no way as passionate as The Gow"
Nick Reynolds - "Suffice to say no Gon was left Un-zoed in this tour-de-force of Gow cod-British tourism-tat-driven madness."
Neil Gow has received thanks from the following for this post:
dpmcalister, dr_mitch, Magus, satbunny, Wizball
Neil Gow
Gow Bear
Playing: Dresden Files Accelerated
Running: Monsterhearts 2, Symbaroum
Planning: Unliving, Dead of Night

Re: 17 (sessions) in 17

Postby dpmcalister » 9:38pm on 21 Dec 16

This year, away from conventions, all I've played is long term campaigns: Judge Dredd, Night's Black Agents, and D&D. I don't mind one-offs but I prefer to play them at a convention.

Even my boardgames get a lot of use. Lords of Waterdeep and Carcassonne have been played a lot this year in our house.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge
My administrator/moderator voice is RED.

UK Role Players Affiliate Schemes: Amazon :: CafePress :: DriveThruRPG :: D&D Classics :: ProFantasy :: RPGNow
Personal Links: Blog :: Flickr :: LinkedIn :: Twitter
dpmcalister has received thanks from the following for this post:
dr_mitch, satbunny
dpmcalister
Administrator
Playing: Adventures in Middle Earth
Running: Hoard of the Dragon Queen
Planning: Pirates of the Fallen Stars

Postby ragr » 11:33pm on 21 Dec 16

I'm all over the campaign, multi-session thing like a bad rash. The maths of 17 sessions may warp my fragile mind though. That's 7 sessions of CoC planned, 8 Ashen stars and 12 NBA for 2017 which gets me through to around June time. After that, who knows?

Overall though? Totally behind the campaign thing and there's little better than a game with slow burn developments, twists, turns, and that easy, relaxed feel. I'd love to hear about people's experiences.
"He's an okay GM sometimes" - Pebsie
ragr has received thanks from the following for this post:
dr_mitch, satbunny
ragr
19th-level
Playing: Trail Of Cthulhu.
Running: Esoterrorists, 13th Age.
Planning: Cthulhu Confidential, Yggdrasill.

Postby Polar Blues » 11:48pm on 21 Dec 16

I don't see how this would work. Round here you couldn't arbitrarily commit everyone to 17 sessions. Games have their own minds, they tend to carry on this they either:
[list=][*]Naturally run out of steam
[*]Are interrupted/lose momentum by some external factor like holidays
[*]Or simply someone else in the group has a strong urge to run something else (I've pretty much always been in groups where a lot of the players are GMs too).[/list]

Sometimes that is more the 17 sessions, most of the time it's a lot less.

Still the following caught my attention:
Neil Gow wrote:Similarly, I see RPGs given one single run out and it makes me sad.

But I think it deserves it's own thread.
Bounty Hunters of the Atomic Wastelands A post-apocalyptic western game based on Fate. It's simple, it's free and it's in colour! http://ukrpdc.wordpress.com/2014/01/05/bounty-hunters-of-the-atomic-wastelands/
Cyberblues City Cyberblues is a bit like cyberpunk, only more mellow. https://ukrpdc.wordpress.com/2015/10/04/cyberblues-city/
Polar Blues has received thanks from the following for this post:
satbunny
Polar Blues
11th-level

Postby Magus » 12:19am on 22 Dec 16

Nice topic! I'm not sure that I will get to have 17 sessions total in 2017, given that I have got some important non-gaming commitments that will wind up in August. However, I could theoretically get 17 sessions in after then. Please note that this not any binding commitment on my part.

From the Indie World I'd love to play Sorcerer for an extended period. I played many sessions of it when I first got back into RPGs and while there is a significant risk of character death or loss of Humanity I just love all the agonizing moral decision that the characters face. I'd happily GM this for one or two players as I think this is the maximum you can play with (or three patient players).

Another choice would be The Clay That Woke. I love the mechanics in this game, a token-based oracle. This does slow the game a bit but there is a beauty to it. Also while I'm not a big fan of setting it reminds me a little of when I first played Runequest 2e. There was an incompleteness to Glorantha then which let you fill in the blanks. The Dégringolade is a bit like Pavis/Big Rubble. It's a game that intersperses philosophy with phantasmagoric violence. I'd love to slow play it. My first and only attempt was at Indiecon last year and the results were mixed.

I've also been researching the OSR and would like to try LotFP, Beyond The Wall or DCC. There's something about all of them that I'd like to mix together and I'm trying to write a small campaign setting at the moment in my spare time.

The thing I'm most likely to play though is Apocalypse World. I've got a group together in Ipswich and I'm keen to get more sessions in although we're a bit erratic.
Magus has received thanks from the following for this post:
ragr, satbunny
Magus
Dice Funder
Playing: D&D!!!
Running: D&D!!!
Planning: Sorcerer for the Smart Party - the fools!

Postby dr_mitch » 1:28am on 23 Dec 16

I'm a big fan of this idea in principle. I'm heading that way anyway with The One Ring, unless things go horribly wrong, but that feels like cheating. I was there in 2016, more or less, with Legend of the Five Rings.

I need to think what enthuses me the most at the moment. D&D 5e is a strong possibility. Bookhounds of London has grabbed me, but maybe for fewer sessions. Ditto a potential return to Night's Black Agents. Hellas: Worlds of Sun and Stone might be the one. Running a campaign for the Kerberos Club, for Wild Talents, rather than convention one shots would be interesting.Or could it finally be time for Ars Magica?

Or maybe drinking my own wine and running something I've written or written for? Say Mindjammer or Beyond Dread Portals. Decisions, decisions.
dr_mitch has received thanks from the following for this post:
satbunny
dr_mitch
dr_mitch
Playing: Esoterrorists, Unknown Armies, Cthulhu Invictus
Running: D&D 5e, The One Ring
Planning: Lots. Always.

Postby First Age » 7:49am on 23 Dec 16

dr_mitch wrote:I need to think what enthuses me the most at the moment. D&D 5e is a strong possibility. Bookhounds of London has grabbed me, but maybe for fewer sessions. Ditto a potential return to Night's Black Agents. Hellas: Worlds of Sun and Stone might be the one.

I could be a winner recipient to this debate. Quietly, I hope it might be Hellas.
First Age

Come to our Sheffield RPG Convention
Furnace: http://furnace.org.uk/
I write games: http://wordplaygames.co.uk
First Age has received thanks from the following for this post:
dr_mitch, satbunny
First Age
First Age
Planning: Heroic Fantasy

Postby satbunny » 1:39pm on 23 Dec 16

17 is effectively a year. I fully support this. I shall run 17 sessions of 13th Age. That's probably 1-5 levels, or perhaps 3-7.

Sent from my SM-G901F using Tapatalk
Tom Zunder: tom at zunder.org.uk
satbunny has received thanks from the following for this post:
dr_mitch
satbunny
The Guvnor
Playing: Symbaroum
Running: Nowt
Planning: Dolmenwood and Science Fiction

Postby Shane » 5:31pm on 23 Dec 16

I have a D&D 5e game that plays about 3 weeks out of 4, so I'll make 17 more sessions of that, I reckon. I'm 8 sessions in already, and I planned to run it for about 6 months with a suitable climax before we rotate games.

Regards,

Shane
Shane has received thanks from the following for this post:
satbunny
Shane
Dice Funder
Playing: D&D 5e (quarterly-ish)
Running: D&D 5e (online weekly), Family D&D 5e (weekly-ish)
Planning: Conan 2d20 or The One Ring, mood dependant

Postby thenovalord » 5:47pm on 23 Dec 16

Will easy make this for dnd5 and PF
Challenge for me is to start something new and see if I can get 17 sessions from it
thenovalord has received thanks from the following for this post:
satbunny
thenovalord
The Mighty Vest
Playing: Symbaroum, PFS
Running: Ironfang Invasion, Tomb Annihaltion, Starfinder
Planning: Kickstarter stuff

Postby thenovalord » 1:11pm on 24 Dec 16

Actually I think I'll "Aim to run Aime", over 17 sessions!
satbunny
thenovalord
The Mighty Vest

Postby thenovalord » 4:09pm on 24 May 17

thenovalord wrote:Actually I think I'll "Aim to run Aime", over 17 sessions!

Have done 6 so far and still motoring along!
satbunny, simonpaulburley
thenovalord
The Mighty Vest

Postby Neil Gow » 7:16pm on 08 Jun 17

I'll be wrapping up my Steampunk Mouse Guard game next week but sadly it will have been 12 sessions, rather than 17. Natural end to the campaign though.
Omnihedron Games - Publisher of Duty & Honour and Beat to Quarters
Keep up-to-date with Omnihedron on Facebook or Google+
ZackSpacks - "I get highly amused by Neil Gow’s constant slagging of Call of Cthulhu"
Jonny Gray - "Ron Edwards is no way as passionate as The Gow"
Nick Reynolds - "Suffice to say no Gon was left Un-zoed in this tour-de-force of Gow cod-British tourism-tat-driven madness."
Neil Gow has received thanks from the following for this post:
dr_mitch, satbunny, thenovalord
Neil Gow
Gow Bear
Playing: Dresden Files Accelerated
Running: Monsterhearts 2, Symbaroum
Planning: Unliving, Dead of Night

Return to Open RPG Discussion