Why aren't you playing D&D?

FAQ | Search | Register | Login
View unanswered posts | View active topics | View your posts
Want to talk, specifically, about RPGs? Then post it here. Questions, comments, and views are all welcomed.

Re: Why aren't you playing D&D?

Postby Clanger1968 » 10:58am on 30 Dec 10

D&D I would disagree is Genric Fantasy. Look at the different settings for it Eberon, Forgotten Realms, Dark Sun, Ravenloft etc. It is only generic in your mind, your imagination is your only downfall here.

Savage Worlds is a GENERIC rules system. So saying you hate D&D because it is Generic makes no sense. Do I like Savage Worlds ... yes, I play Deadlands, Savage SLA no probs. So I have no axe to grind with SW.

I think the snobbery and elitism on gaming systems does become a joke. A plays X game, B thinks because he play Z game he is superior to A, X game is therefore crap because B does not play X game. I remember all this BS when Vampire came out in the 90's.
Clanger1968
Dice Funder
User avatar
Location: Kettering, Northamptonshire
Thanks: 123 given/72 received
Playing: Earthdawn (1st Ed)
Planning: Acthung Cthulhu!, 5th ed D&D

Re: Why aren't you playing D&D?

Postby Scott Dorward » 11:31am on 30 Dec 10

I may be cheating slightly in responding, as I do play 4th ed. now, but I can explain why I didn't play for the best part of 25 years.

My previous experiences were all with original AD&D, and way too many games got bogged down in arguments about interpreting the all-too-ambiguous rules. When combined with the confrontational role it seemed to encourage in DMs, this led to many of the unhappiest gaming experiences I had. If I hadn't discovered more clearly-written games around the same time, I may have given up on RPGs.

Maybe later editions improved on this, but my perspective was that these power struggles between DMs and players, and attempts to get one over on each other, seemed to be part of the culture of the game. I've certainly had discussions with some 3rd ed. players which have done nothing to disabuse me of this notion.

A lot of people complain about 4th ed. being too simple, limiting or prescriptive, but for me it's the first edition I've seen that removes a lot of the scope for dickishness that drove me away from D&D in the first place.
Scott Dorward
Dice Funder
User avatar
Location: Milton Keynes
Thanks: 801 given/362 received
Playing: Call of Cthulhu, Lamentations of the Flame Princess
Running: Trail of Cthulhu
Planning: World War Cthulhu: Cold War, Call of Cthulhu, Pulp Cthulhu

Re: Why aren't you playing D&D?

Postby jonnygray » 11:45am on 30 Dec 10

With myself, I simply do not like rolling D20's. I could go into detail why, but that 's just boring.

I seem to have bad luck when playing DnD, just ask Novalord how my first two rolls went the last time I played.

I probably would enjoy it, if there were only 2 or 3 people playing, but it never seems to be the case when I get a game. Maybe this says more about how good the game is :?

I've not had a really good game of DnD. Don't get me wrong, I do want to enjoy it, but it appeals to the power gamer in me, rather than the roleplayer. If I play it, I want to kill the next opponent and move onto the next, just so I can get xp and move up a level.

I prefer games where you can pick disadvantages or hindrances for your character.

High-level games don't appeal. I like it when you are just starting off. As the D.O.G.s will confirm I like playing in the gutter :wink:

I just frown when looking through the rules. Too many! Although some of the pictures are nice :D
jonnygray
50 Shades...
User avatar
Location: Derby
Thanks: 2346 given/1488 received
Playing: The Sprawl
Running: Nowt
Planning: To read through my copy of BitD

Re: Why aren't you playing D&D?

Postby Baz King » 11:51am on 30 Dec 10

Just wanted to say a quick thanks for all the replies so far. There's some really interesting themes coming out that I want to pick up on, and perhaps even launch new topics on.

More to come later.
"Baz, I believe, is absolutely 100% right." Neil Gow

My RPG stuff for you to own http://www.drivethrurpg.com/browse/pub/5880/Grand-Scheme-Publishing

What Would the Smart Party Do? https://smartparty.wordpress.com/
Baz King
D&D&D
User avatar
Location: Essex
Thanks: 2446 given/3284 received
Playing: Star Wars
Running: 5e
Planning: The next Smart Party podcast

Re: Why aren't you playing D&D?

Postby old timer » 11:56am on 30 Dec 10

I think i am in a minority here, as i have never played D&D, and only played AD&D once, and i have been roleplaying since the 80s. I started roleplying using the RQ system, loved it, and never found any reason to play D&D since. Played many other games, but just dont like the way D&D works.
In RL known as Noel
Co writer of the WW2 vehicle supplements for Traveller.
Every years resolution, to post and damn the consequences.
old timer
9th-level
Location: Oxfordshire
Thanks: 511 given/357 received
Playing: Nothing at moment
Running: Savage worlds, Openquest 2
Planning: M space

Re: Why aren't you playing D&D?

Postby GRIM » 12:21pm on 30 Dec 10

I didn't start with D&D so it holds little to no nostalgia value for me. My irregular gaming opportunities are with people who would rather play something else.
See ... I can get you what you want, I can. I can get you anything, you just have to talk to me, you have to trust me. You can trust me, 'cause I'm your priest, I'm your shrink ... I am you main connection to the switchboard of he soul. I'm the magic man ... Santa Claus of the subconscious. You say it, you think it, you can have it.
http://www.postmort.demon.co.uk
Postmortem Studios - Roleplaying games to DIE for
GRIM
Postmortem Studios
User avatar
Location: Hampshire, UK
Thanks: 0 given/5 received
Playing: Nuffin' alas.
Running: Poll games and playtests.
Planning: Agents of SWING

Re: Why aren't you playing D&D?

Postby James Mullen » 12:25pm on 30 Dec 10

Clanger1968 wrote:...saying you hate D&D because it is Generic makes no sense.

I think the snobbery and elitism on gaming systems does become a joke. A plays X game, B thinks because he play Z game he is superior to A, X game is therefore crap because B does not play X game. I remember all this BS when Vampire came out in the 90's.


Another easy way to win arguments on the 'net is to put words in someone else's mouth and then argue against that point. :D

I said I disliked the generic fantasy of D&D, not generic mechanics; SW has generic mechanics but the settings for it are anything but. In my experience, most of the published settings for D&D are bland, generic, cookie cutter fantasy, but I don't hate it for that and I appreciate that a lot of people really enjoy those settings and get to have heroic adventures in them. It's just not for me and is one reason why, like the thread says, I'm not playing D&D. :D
Blood & Water is available now on DriveThru: "An awesome, awesome game of mundane nonsense" - Neil Gow

Keep up with new nano-games and other games in development at the Groundhoggoth blog.
James Mullen
Spaghetti ConJunction
User avatar
Location: Milton Keynes, Bucks
Thanks: 1615 given/1368 received
Playing: A Smorgasbord of Short Games
Planning: Spaghetti ConJunction 2a

Re: Why aren't you playing D&D?

Postby wraithben » 1:23pm on 30 Dec 10

Basically it just doesn't do it for me anymore.

I've played it on and off in various incarnations and various settings over the past 20 plus years, and have really enjoyed it at times.

In its latest incarnation it feels, to me, a bit like a MMORPG - the various 'once per' powers certainly fit that type of thing.

I seem generally to be moving away from the old school classic RPGs and getting more out of newer, Indie style games. That's not to say I wouldn't return to DnD in the future - but right now it's not for me.
wraithben
14th-level
User avatar
Location: Bristol
Thanks: 638 given/474 received
Playing: Depressingly little
Running: The One Ring - online
Planning: The House - Structure tabletop freeform Horror game

Re: Why aren't you playing D&D?

Postby thenovalord » 1:25pm on 30 Dec 10

I too am cheating cos i do play D&D in its Pathfinder guise.

I didnt start with it, but played a few years of BXCMI D&D, but found AD&D more complex without being 'better', so didnt play it or second (esp what they did with stats)

after 10 year gap played 3/3,5 alot and play Pathfinder as there modules are great, so i have no need to write my own!!

tried 4th for 7 month...see discussions elsewhere

There is nothing wrong with not playing it, and this counts for all games
thenovalord
The Mighty Vest
User avatar
Location: Derby
Thanks: 2342 given/2987 received
Playing: Symbaroum, PFS
Running: Ironfang Invasion, Tomb Annihaltion, Starfinder
Planning: Kickstarter stuff

Re: Why aren't you playing D&D?

Postby CharlesRyan » 2:53pm on 30 Dec 10

"Don't like generic fantasy" seems to be one theme in this thread. I'll go one step further and say that D&D is generic high fantasy. If that ain't your cup of tea, I can see how D&D wouldn't appeal.

Personally, D&D is my go-to game when I want something action-oriented and relatively light, but it doesn't satisfy all my gaming joneses by a long shot. And I think 4E is the best version yet for what D&D is good at, but it suffers by being less good at other things (unlike 3rd, which is very versatile).
Charles Ryan
An American gamer late of England
If you're on Twitter you can find me at CharlesMRyan

Are you a UK D&D player? Are you part of the D&D UK community?
Classic Chameleon Eclectic lines Millennium's End and Psychosis are now available at DriveThruRPG!
CharlesRyan
7th-level
User avatar
Location: Far southwest Virginia, USA
Thanks: 0 given/7 received

Re: Why aren't you playing D&D?

Postby Stronty Girl » 3:40pm on 30 Dec 10

Similar reasons to those who have posted already! I began RPGing with D&D as it was the only game in town and then defected off to do other stuff as soon as opportunities arose. In times of game-drought I've gone back to it in desperation for something to play, but it has never been an enjoyable experience.

I dislike D&D because:
1) I don't like fantasy of the sort filled with fireball casting wizards, elves, dwarves, evil necromancers with undead armies and such tropes. It just leaves me cold.
2) I don't like the Middle Ages and nearby historical periods as a setting for games (or fiction), so the pseudo-Middle Ages of most D&D campaigns is also a turn off.
3) I utterly loathe dungeon crawls. Or indeed any "you kill people and take their stuff" game, and D&D seems to encourage this game style.
4) I don't like the systems of 1st to 3.5 ed (not tried 4th), even when they are adapted to a setting that is more to my taste (e.g. D20 Modern, d20 Stargate). Too many irritating or constraining features. And fights take faaaaar toooooo looooooooooonnnng at mid to high levels - I want it punchy and exciting, not a 40 minute hackfest.
5) I want to be able to design my character with a lot more flexibilities and options than any of the D&D systems I've played have offered.
6) I want my character to get better at, say, archery because I've been twanging off arrows like there's no tomorrow and/or I've channeled xp into archery. Not because I've picked up a +5 Bow of Munchkinism. In fact I find all the magical gew gaws you are supposed to go chasing after in D&D really, really dull.
Stronty Girl a.k.a. Dr Bob.
In a game with 5 players and 1 GM, at any one time there are AT LEAST 6 different versions of the Cunning Plan being carried out...
Stronty Girl
Bristol Gamers
User avatar
Location: Bristol, UK
Thanks: 716 given/988 received
Playing: Only War, GURPS Space
Running: Cortex+ (Squaddies) & Dr Who
Planning: Various science fiction things

Re: Why aren't you playing D&D?

Postby Baz King » 3:51pm on 30 Dec 10

James Mullen wrote:
Baz King wrote:Would it be fair to say you prefer conflict resolution to task resolution? Might that be the reason?

It would be fair but it wouldn't exactly be the whole picture; I've played Savage Worlds many times and have run games using it, both as one offs and mini-campaigns. I was also a Deadlands GM every week for around 6 years and was even running it 2 nights a week at one point.


I still want to pull at this thread if that's ok. The notable system difference bewteen SW/Deadlands and D&D is the bennie mechanic (or fate chip or whatever). Is it that differentiator that allows you to feel more empowered as a PC?
"Baz, I believe, is absolutely 100% right." Neil Gow

My RPG stuff for you to own http://www.drivethrurpg.com/browse/pub/5880/Grand-Scheme-Publishing

What Would the Smart Party Do? https://smartparty.wordpress.com/
Baz King
D&D&D
User avatar
Location: Essex
Thanks: 2446 given/3284 received
Playing: Star Wars
Running: 5e
Planning: The next Smart Party podcast

Re: Why aren't you playing D&D?

Postby Baz King » 3:59pm on 30 Dec 10

andrewmorton1968 wrote:Well lets see... the first time I played was a game you run Mr King. I had a human Fighter who was killed by fire beetles - I was what... 12 years old at the time - and hooked from the first game.


Happy days. I remember it well.

I said I'd tell my tale of going away from D&D and why I returned, but this post really sums up what it was all about. I came to realise that the most fun I'd ever had gaming was when I was 12 or 13 years old. There have been great games since, but they were sporadic or fleeting at best. I wondered what would would happen if I went back to what I used to love, except with an actual budget and technology at my side, and see if it still had the same effect.

It did.

And I wasn't alone. My gaming group came with me on that journey of rediscovery and we all have better sustained gaming now than we've had in years. We have wildly diverging tastes individually, but we can all play D&D together and get our jollies without breaking anyone else's fun. That's huge.
"Baz, I believe, is absolutely 100% right." Neil Gow

My RPG stuff for you to own http://www.drivethrurpg.com/browse/pub/5880/Grand-Scheme-Publishing

What Would the Smart Party Do? https://smartparty.wordpress.com/
Baz King
D&D&D
User avatar
Location: Essex
Thanks: 2446 given/3284 received
Playing: Star Wars
Running: 5e
Planning: The next Smart Party podcast

Re: Why aren't you playing D&D?

Postby Baz King » 4:03pm on 30 Dec 10

How do you get from this:

old timer wrote: i have never played D&D, and only played AD&D once...


To this?

old timer wrote:... just dont like the way D&D works.


I'm genuinely interested.
Baz King
D&D&D
User avatar
Location: Essex
Thanks: 2446 given/3284 received
Playing: Star Wars
Running: 5e
Planning: The next Smart Party podcast

Re: Why aren't you playing D&D?

Postby Keith Fyans » 4:54pm on 30 Dec 10

Because nobody I game with runs it or wants to play it :wink:

Seriously, back in the day I started RPG'ing with Advanced Fighting Fantasy then played AD&D, TMNT and WFRP. AD&D didn't stand a chance. I played a little AD&D2nd and it was worse. I played some 3.x but mainly just because friends wanted to run it. I've tried to find a game of 4th ed but as far as I can tell nobody runs it in Glasgow*.


* here is where you can invite me along to your game and prove me wrong
Keith Fyans
4th-level
User avatar
Thanks: 0 given/0 received
Playing: Freemarket, Solipsist
Running: Lots of one-shots at Glasgow Indie Gamers
Planning: Tokyo Bitches (a HotB/KotE hack), Ribbon Drive

PreviousNext

Return to Open RPG Discussion



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

The team | Delete all board cookies | All times are UTC [ DST ]