Important Announcement: Conception 2016

FAQ | Search | Register | Login
View unanswered posts | View active topics | View your posts
The premier convention on the south coast of England. Held in February since 2000 in Christchurch, nr Bournemouth.

Important Announcement: Conception 2016

Postby dpmcalister » 10:00am on 22 Oct 15

On the 8th October, we (the conception committee) were contacted by Hoburne Holidays by telephone regarding our event.

We were informed that they would have to cancel our event booking entirely due to major building works in the club house.

After frantic discussion, they later stated that they would explore options to allow the event to continue, albeit with a change of venue.

They arranged a meeting the following Monday to discuss our options and clearly explain the situation.

Needless, to say, we were initially left in a state of stunned disbelief after receiving this news. Fellow committee members were informed almost immediately, but we felt unable to make any formal announcement before the aftermath of the meeting with Hoburne Holidays, scheduled for the following week. We also wanted a written declaration from them stating the reason for the cancellation and what means of redress were available.

The meeting went ahead as planned but unfortunately we have still yet to receive an official statement from their Head Office which we hoped would confirm the following details covered in the meeting and reassure those affected.

Basically, we were told that this was a relatively recent company-wide decision, made to engage in a major modernisation and renovation programme on the main club-houses during the Winter season (including Hoburne Naish). These works are optimistically predicted to complete late February-early March at the earliest. The exception was at Hoburne Park, which had already undergone similar works.

The works would therefore unlikely be completed in time for us to hold the event without serious disruption to both our activities and the travelling/holiday arrangements of our attendees.

Other similar bookings during that period have simply been cancelled.

However, it was suggested that we have exclusive use of Hoburne Park, to host the event, whilst retaining the accommodation at Hoburne Naish, both of which will remain unaffected by the building work.

They have verbally offered to provide free transportation between the two parks, which is, normally, about 10-15 minutes by car. The exact details of this are yet to be finalised or confirmed, though it has been suggested that a coach service to cover the mornings between 8.00 am till 9.00, last thing at midnight and a continuous mini-bus “shuttle service” for the remainder of the event.

Several members of the committee have made site visits to Hoburne Park and are confident that it does have sufficient capacity to host our normal gaming activities.

We also have been promised additional staff from two local parks affected by the building work including some Hoburne Naish staff that have considerable experience of our activities and expectations. This allows for higher staffing levels providing food and at the bar. There will also be waiter/ess service direct to the gaming tables should you wish it.

We understand many serious concerns may be raised about this news, but would ask you bear with us while we try and finalise details.

Our hope is that, although we know that there will undoubtedly be some disruption, particularly with transport between the two sites, we can work with our devoted volunteers, valued GMs and steadfast attendees during this event to minimise disruption to a point where the event can still be as successful as previous years. There is adequate parking for those who wish to make their own way between sites, though we hope that the transportation coverage supplied will make this unnecessary.

Of course, should you wish to cancel your accommodation reservation we understand perfectly and will endeavour to refund payments as soon as possible.
If you wish to cancel, please do so before December 2015, this enables us to offer your reservation to others on the waiting list. In such cases, we will make a full repayment.

We, the committee, apologise for the situation forced upon us all.

Conception Locations.jpg
My administrator/moderator voice is RED.

UK Role Players Affiliate Schemes: Amazon :: CafePress :: DriveThruRPG :: D&D Classics :: ProFantasy :: RPGNow
Personal Links: Blog :: Flickr :: LinkedIn :: Twitter
dpmcalister has received thanks from the following for this post:
Thermadore
dpmcalister
Administrator
Running: D&D 5e: Under Illefarn; Lost Mines of Phandelver; Storm King's Thunder

Re: Important Announcement: Conception 2016

Postby Evilgaz » 10:22am on 22 Oct 15

Silly buggers. Hope the Committee can pull it out the bag!
Evilgaz has received thanks from the following for this post:
cade_tosscobble
Evilgaz
Evil Alien Overlord
Playing: Iron Kingdoms
Running: Savage Worlds, Hot War
Planning: Deadlands, Lot5R

Postby w00hoo » 10:38am on 22 Oct 15

Evilgaz wrote:Silly buggers. Hope the Committee can pull it out the bag!

Indeed, I hope with two unrelated Naish cons coming up in November attendees can remind the staff how great it is to have us and make running a rejigged Conception easier.
"I don't want to remember. But if I don't have the memories, nobody will, so I can't forget." - Samantha.
"I think on this one rare occasion the majority of the fault for the confusion probably lies with me." - Omnifray.
w00hoo has received thanks from the following for this post:
cade_tosscobble, Grinnen Baeritt, kamawell, Lusus Naturae, The Crypt Keeper
w00hoo
Dice Funder
Playing: Torchwood Victorian, Unisystem Post Apoc, G+ TOR
Running: Nothing
Planning: Always SFLRP

Postby Kithran » 10:40am on 22 Oct 15

We've tried to make sure the announcement is posted to as many places as possible but if you happen to know people who don't regularly come here/follow facebook/twitter etc who are coming can you try to make sure they know.

With regards to the upcoming cons at Naish also remember its not a decision made by any of the staff at Naish so don't give them grief about it ;)
Kithran has received thanks from the following for this post:
cade_tosscobble, dpmcalister, Grinnen Baeritt, Lusus Naturae, Silhouette, The Crypt Keeper, Thermadore, w00hoo, wraithben
Kithran
Dice Funder

Postby Grinnen Baeritt » 12:43pm on 22 Oct 15

w00hoo wrote:
Evilgaz wrote:Silly buggers. Hope the Committee can pull it out the bag!

Indeed, I hope with two unrelated Naish cons coming up in November attendees can remind the staff how great it is to have us and make running a rejigged Conception easier.

If there is anything good to come out of this, it will be reassurance, support and enthusiasm already given to us by the Hoburne Park & Naish/Bar staff we've spoken to.

We have made many friends there over the past 15 years, they have gone out of their way on many occasions to be as accommodating as they can with our requests.
Grinnen Baeritt has received thanks from the following for this post:
darrell, Lusus Naturae, Silhouette, Thermadore, w00hoo
Grinnen Baeritt
ConTingency
Playing: Ahem (World of Tanks)...and Civ 5...
Running: Mythos Chronicles 2d20...
Planning: Global Recovery and a way to organise my RPG collection

Postby pitstop » 2:21pm on 22 Oct 15

Thanks for the update guys. If you can get it to work I will be there
Keep us posted . And keep up the good work
Archie
No boom today. Boom tomorrow. There's always a boom tomorrow.
pitstop has received thanks from the following for this post:
cade_tosscobble, dpmcalister
pitstop
2nd-level
Playing: whatever I can
Running: not much ....yet

Postby Weatherman » 3:32pm on 22 Oct 15

Any help we can give, just call, will be travelling in car to get there this year, so will have transport options available if need be, suspect a car pool might be a good thing to put together.
John Dodd
The Credible Hulk
Weatherman has received thanks from the following for this post:
cade_tosscobble, dpmcalister, The Crypt Keeper
Weatherman
UK Games Expo
Playing: At being a grown up
Running: Not very far
Planning: Untraceable Vengeance

Postby innishman2008 » 4:03pm on 22 Oct 15

This is a shock but knowing you guys on the Committee you will do the upmost you can to pull this through. Important we ALL work together to keep things working. Its stressful enough running Conception and now this on top !!!. To all the Committee many thanks as always for working bloody hard on all the Gamers behalf and with luck and co-operation from the attendees the event will be as good as it always has been. :brofist:
innishman2008 has received thanks from the following for this post:
cade_tosscobble, dpmcalister
innishman2008
4th-level
Planning: http://www.strawberrydragon.co.uk/

Postby SJE » 6:28pm on 22 Oct 15

So, we'll stay in the regular chalets and lodges at Naish, but the trade hall and some games will be at the new sites club house?

That's doable- but there will be a lot more pre-arranged chalet games next year I suspect.
"Forth, and fear no darkness! Arise. Arise, Riders of Theoden. Spears shall be shaken, shields shall be splintered! A sword day... a red day... ere the sun rises. Ride now!... Ride now!... Ride! Ride for ruin and the world's ending!"

Exalted Actual Play: Gem City Watch! || Dark Heresy- Silver Dawn/The Castermere Look/The Beiderbeck Investigation || ASOI&F - A Knights Tale || Cold City: BSG || Rogue Trader: Eastern Fringes Trading Co. || Elric: Inception in the Dreaming City || Masks of Nyarlathotep-7e||Super(Mad)men from the Stars||V20: The Red List|| Dracula Dossier @LongCon2016
SJE
17th-level

Postby Weatherman » 6:33pm on 22 Oct 15

SJE wrote:So, we'll stay in the regular chalets and lodges at Naish, but the trade hall and some games will be at the new sites club house?
That's doable- but there will be a lot more pre-arranged chalet games next year I suspect.

Yeah, that's my worry, still, I do need to network more :)
John Dodd
The Credible Hulk
Weatherman
UK Games Expo
Playing: At being a grown up
Running: Not very far
Planning: Untraceable Vengeance

Postby Peanut » 8:44pm on 22 Oct 15

Something that might be of use in your discussions is the effect on those of us with specific dietary requirements. I probably won't be able to eat food supplied at the gaming location and won't have time between slots to dash back and rustle myself something up. Not a problem per se - I'll just hire a Sherpa to carry my backpack of GF food :D But a thought if you're looking for points to make.
Peanut
11th-level
Playing: Pathfinder
Running: Nothing, zilch, nada
Planning: Star Wars Edge of the Empire

Postby Ytene » 8:50pm on 22 Oct 15

The committee realises that we cannot avoid "chalet-con" from happening and we will obviously have an issue with the sign-up, mustering and ticketing of those games.

The Con-Desk will be at Hoburne Park, Naish's reception will be a porta cabin/caravan in the car park from what we have been lead to believe but that will not be open out of office hours and not somewhere that we can set up a second desk in (other than for Wednesday for keys).

We will be reliant on the GMs good conscience to collect gaming tickets and return sign up sheets in order to obtain their discount tickets for use as they see fit in the future (and don't forget those are essential items for early accommodation booking for 2017).

Thank-you for reading
John
"Guardian of the Hoard" a.k.a. Conception bean counter

p.s. We have been advised that the swimming pool at Naish will still be available for those on site, but we will confirm this closer to the event (not sure if we will have access to the Hoburne Park pool).
Ytene has received thanks from the following for this post:
Thermadore
Ytene
8th-level

Postby Kithran » 8:59pm on 22 Oct 15

I am planning on doing my usual run round all the living games at both sites to collect tickets and hand out gm rewards. If (and its a big if) I know about it in advance I can do the same for non-living games running at Naish - this will basically be me turning up at some point taking tickets & sign up sheet and giving the gm his reward ticket. To do this I will need to know which lodge a game will be running in ahead of time and if I find too many cases where there is noone at the lodge I've been sent to I'll get annoyed ;)
Kithran has received thanks from the following for this post:
The Crypt Keeper
Kithran
Dice Funder

Postby Ytene » 9:01pm on 22 Oct 15

Here are some pictures of the interior of Hoburne Park. They are desceptive in the size/area they convey.

This area is envisaged for Living Games
04a.jpg

We had the idea to put MDF on the Pool tables and have the likes of Wings of War and Heroclix on top
05a.jpg

This is the main hall looking down to the stage, there are two substantial wings either side of the stage
10a.jpg

Looking back up the hall
11a.jpg

Duncan has digital dimensions of the layout of the building and will be formulating a table layout for the future, his time allowing.

Thank-you for taking notice
John
"Guardian of the Hoard" a.k.a Conception bean counter
Ytene has received thanks from the following for this post:
Thermadore
Ytene
8th-level

Postby Grinnen Baeritt » 9:08pm on 22 Oct 15

Peanut wrote:Something that might be of use in your discussions is the effect on those of us with specific dietary requirements. I probably won't be able to eat food supplied at the gaming location and won't have time between slots to dash back and rustle myself something up. Not a problem per se - I'll just hire a Sherpa to carry my backpack of GF food :D But a thought if you're looking for points to make.

This is perfectly ok, the staff at Hoburne Park were made aware that people may wish to prepare and bring their own cold food with them.

However, this only applies to FOOD/soft drinks/water...NOT type of drink purchased off-site that blatantly violates their Drinks Licence.
Grinnen Baeritt
ConTingency
Playing: Ahem (World of Tanks)...and Civ 5...
Running: Mythos Chronicles 2d20...
Planning: Global Recovery and a way to organise my RPG collection

Next

Return to Conception