Choose your adventure

FAQ | Search | Register | Login
View unanswered posts | View active topics | View your posts
Running a UK convention and want some free publicity? Then create a topic within this forum and let everyone know about it.

Choose your adventure

Postby simonpaulburley » 7:09pm on 24 Sep 17

Geek Retreat 24/9/17

I don't want to clog up UKRP with detailed reports of all of my "Choose Your Adventure" sessions. I'll put a more detailed report on my blog but:

Went to "Geek Retreat" in Birmingham as I do on the last Sunday of the month. Very busy because of an MtG tournament. Ran a D&D 5th version of my standard intro dungeon. I'm trying to get a "regular" who's been introduced to RPGs through these sessions to try her hand at GMing for the "regulars" to free me up to concentrate on newbies.

Then ran a Dr Who intro scenario with a couple of "regulars" and a young man whose mum convinced him to try. I got her to play too. They both loved it and her devious student Timelord was the last woman standing.

I met the daughter of Martin Hackett - designer of Magic and Monsters RPG. It's a small world.

I then ran the intro to D&D 5th again. (The regulars had left). Again a young man whose mum was going to watch and again inveigled her in. This is a hobby for everyone. This time, though, a TPK. The 5th Ed Bugbear is a beast. I'll have to adjust the scenario before I run it under 5th Ed again. Everyone enjoyed it though.

Rounded off with a steampunk intro. One of the players remembered me from running the Actual Cannibal Shia Lebeouf RPG at London Anime con. It's a small world.

Four games, ten new players including two mums. Successful day.
"People don't stop playing because they get old. They get old because they stop playing."

Been around since original D&D
Author of Golden Heroes, Squadron UK, The Comics Code,The Code of the Spacelanes, The Code of Steam and Steel, The Code of Warrirors and Wizardry and The Super Hack.

I attend lots of RPG conventions in the UK. I Attend non-RPG "geek" conventions to promote The Hobby using my "Choose Your Adventure" set up. I blog about both of these things here: https://rpgs4all.blogspot.co.uk .
simonpaulburley
Spaghetti ConJunction
Playing: The odd game at Conventions
Running: "Code" books - Comics, SciFi, SteamPunk, Anime.The Black Hack.
Planning: Manifold multi-genre RPG. More Code Books - Fantasyand Horror next

Return to Other Events