Games I will be running - Starguild playtest

FAQ | Search | Register | Login
View unanswered posts | View active topics | View your posts
A convention for independent RPG publishers.

Games I will be running - Starguild playtest

Postby Plane_Sailing » 12:51am on 31 Oct 15

As Indiecon is particularly aimed at new games by independent publishers, I'll be bringing along my new game, the Starguild: space opera noir RPG (which I'm planning to launch next year).

I'll be there on the Saturday, running the same game twice in Slot 4 and Slot 5

Secrets of the Empire

Some years ago, you guys were a crack team for Transtar, a powerful interstellar corporation. Together you used to handle all manner of jobs, from core world diplomacy to “wet work” in frontier planet war zones. Half a dozen years ago you separated, and used your reputation and skills to build new careers amongst the planets. New boring careers. For each of you, the offer to do one more job together for Transtar came at an opportune time, offering money and excitement just when you needed it. A chance to work with your old mates again too.

Someone has discovered an intact imperial research station, 600 years old. Most technological advances come from studying the advanced technology from those days, and an intact research station could hold anything – it could be worth up to a billion credits in the long run! There will probably be another team from the unscrupulous MERCAL guild who are also vying for the prize, and it can get pretty lawless and lethal out in the wilderness.

Track down the prospector. Get the location from him and beat the MERCAL guys to the location. Find out what the empire were researching and how to use it, and get the goods home. Pretty simple.

So here you are, in the starport arrivals lounge, looking around at your old friends. Waiting for your gear to pass customs. Who has stayed the same, who has changed? And in the last 6 years, which one of them has become a traitor for MERCAL?

Starguild is a d20 OGL game, which uses an variant of the Mutants and Masterminds 'damage save' mechanism to handle dramatic conflict and social conflict as well as all kinds of combat. Hidden agendas, intrigue and betrayals are often part of a game which deals with the seamy side of space opera.

(title edited for clarity)
Plane_Sailing has received thanks from the following for this post:
dr_mitch
Plane_Sailing
4th-level
Playing: indie games at conventions
Running: nothing right now
Planning: production and release of Starguild RPG

Re: Games I will be running - Starguild playtest

Postby MaxBantleman » 11:32am on 03 Nov 15

Sounds good :)

Indiecon is a great place to play-test stuff, I really hope you get a couple of full tables.

A question I hear asked a lot when a game has the 'noir' tag is: what makes it a 'noir game'?

I'd be interested to see how the PVP stuff works out :)

All the best.
MaxBantleman has received thanks from the following for this post:
Plane_Sailing
MaxBantleman
9th-level
Playing: Cursed Empire 3rd Edition Play-Test.
Running: Cursed Empire 3rd Edition Play-Test. Shadows of Esteren. Hidden Realms.
Planning: Hidden Realms release.

Postby dr_mitch » 1:33pm on 03 Nov 15

Having seen a draft of this, I have to say, Starguild looks *really good*. I won't be at Indiecon unfortunately, but I'm looking forward to Starguild!
dr_mitch has received thanks from the following for this post:
Plane_Sailing
dr_mitch
dr_mitch
Playing: Esoterrorists, Unknown Armies, Cthulhu Invictus
Running: D&D 5e, The One Ring
Planning: Lots. Always.

Postby Plane_Sailing » 1:16am on 04 Nov 15

MaxBantleman wrote:Sounds good :)

Indiecon is a great place to play-test stuff, I really hope you get a couple of full tables.

A question I hear asked a lot when a game has the 'noir' tag is: what makes it a 'noir game'?

I'd be interested to see how the PVP stuff works out :)

All the best.

Hi Max, thanks for that, I hope to run some fun games. I've used this scenario twice before and it has run well both times. The fact that the game covers social conflict means that any PVP that may come up can take place in the social conflict realm, with people attempting to dissemble, convince, swindle, sow distrust and such.

All the characters will have a 'secret' randomly assigned to them - I won't know which character has which secret, and it will be different for each game I run. It will be in each adventurers interest to find out what is going on with the other PCs, and may or may not find it advantageous to reveal their own secret... although it will almost certainly affect some aspects of their role-play!

Regarding the 'noir' tag, this is the way I describe it in the opening chapter of the game:

Starguild is Space Opera Noir. It is about futuristic weapons and faster than light travel. You could be brave naval officers or devious smugglers. You could be matching wits and passion in high society or creeping through the decayed noncit zones. You could be exploring dangerous jungles on the frontier worlds or engaged as high tech mercenaries on future battlefields.

The game setting has been influenced by the high action space opera of Star Wars, by the competing diplomatic regimes of Babylon 5, by the grittiness of Firefly frontier worlds and by the underlying horror of the Cthulhu mythos for those who wish to draw in genuinely alien aliens. It isn’t exactly like any of those, but the fingerprints are there, and it is easy to run adventures which are drawn from any of those settings within the world of Starguild.

All this is underlaid with the essential noir setting details – cynical, ambitious, cruel; with dark undertones of emotional blackmail, sex and betrayal. Conflicting agendas and fragile trust. Secret deals and complex intrigues. The good guys do not always win. The good guys do not always live. The good guys are not always good guys.

To support this atmosphere, the game treats social conflict - the ability to alter someones emotions and thinking - as a first class citizen alongside the more traditional kinds of conflict of fist and gun. There are many ways that adventurers can achieve their objectives, including manipulating their friends and allies should the need arise. But beware - lest your head be turned by seduction, poisoned by distrust, swindled out of something important or taunted into an irrational act!

Does that help capture the kind of games that I run with this ruleset and setting?

Cheers
Plane_Sailing has received thanks from the following for this post:
MaxBantleman
Plane_Sailing
4th-level

Postby Plane_Sailing » 1:16am on 04 Nov 15

dr_mitch wrote:Having seen a draft of this, I have to say, Starguild looks *really good*. I won't be at Indiecon unfortunately, but I'm looking forward to Starguild!

Thanks Dr Mitch!
Plane_Sailing
4th-level

Postby MaxBantleman » 10:09am on 04 Nov 15

Plane_Sailing wrote:Regarding the 'noir' tag, this is the way I describe it in the opening chapter of the game:
Starguild is Space Opera Noir. It is about futuristic weapons and faster than light travel. You could be brave naval officers or devious smugglers. You could be matching wits and passion in high society or creeping through the decayed noncit zones. You could be exploring dangerous jungles on the frontier worlds or engaged as high tech mercenaries on future battlefields.

The game setting has been influenced by the high action space opera of Star Wars, by the competing diplomatic regimes of Babylon 5, by the grittiness of Firefly frontier worlds and by the underlying horror of the Cthulhu mythos for those who wish to draw in genuinely alien aliens. It isn’t exactly like any of those, but the fingerprints are there, and it is easy to run adventures which are drawn from any of those settings within the world of Starguild.

All this is underlaid with the essential noir setting details – cynical, ambitious, cruel; with dark undertones of emotional blackmail, sex and betrayal. Conflicting agendas and fragile trust. Secret deals and complex intrigues. The good guys do not always win. The good guys do not always live. The good guys are not always good guys.

To support this atmosphere, the game treats social conflict - the ability to alter someones emotions and thinking - as a first class citizen alongside the more traditional kinds of conflict of fist and gun. There are many ways that adventurers can achieve their objectives, including manipulating their friends and allies should the need arise. But beware - lest your head be turned by seduction, poisoned by distrust, swindled out of something important or taunted into an irrational act!

Does that help capture the kind of games that I run with this ruleset and setting?
Cheers

Sounds good, I'm suitably intrigued! :)
Supporting atmosphere with game-play, encouraged by mechanics is always a tricky one, and it's always good to see how people pull it off.
Only free slot I have is Friday morning unfortunately, but hopefully we can bump in to each other for a quick chat and a pint...
MaxBantleman
9th-level
Playing: Cursed Empire 3rd Edition Play-Test.
Running: Cursed Empire 3rd Edition Play-Test. Shadows of Esteren. Hidden Realms.
Planning: Hidden Realms release.

Return to Indiecon