Indiecon 16 dates

FAQ | Search | Register | Login
View unanswered posts | View active topics | View your posts
A convention for independent RPG publishers.

Re: Indiecon 16 dates

Postby wraithben » 11:17pm on 26 Feb 16

That's one hell of an increase, especially for a time where if we're not there who else will be?

Can H and I afford it personally? Yes. Can all our friends, I'm not sure.

It seems almost designed to put people off, and certainly doesn't seem like good business sense to me.

Presumably this hike will hit Consequences and Conception as well?

Maybe it's time to seek a new venue. Anyone who runs a business like that will only be convinced to change their view when you hit them in the only place they care about - their bank balance.
wraithben has received thanks from the following for this post:
James Mullen
wraithben
14th-level
Playing: Depressingly little
Running: The One Ring - online
Planning: The House - Structure tabletop freeform Horror game

Postby Leonidas300 » 9:14pm on 28 Feb 16

These costs are inclusive of the passes that come with the accommodation so one per room plus a bonus pass if early bird. I agree that in absolute terms per night the price is comparable to other events but I am still annoyed that the fact we pull in around 300 people including day guests was not enough for them to play ball. In % increase terms this is significant. You are the guys who make the event work. Please let us know that this is ok.

We have warned them that this may impact on bookings but they are playing hardball. We are equally concerned that this pricing may impact other events there.

Chris
Creator of Cursed Empire FRPG
Leonidas300
12th-level

Postby SJE » 9:31pm on 28 Feb 16

I'd still attend. Compared to most cons the accomodation prices for Naish were always fairly negligible, and transport pretty cheap. I do agree with the sticker price shock and for those with tighter budgets then it may lose some attendees, but is there somewhere we are really going to find that is cheaper, that can also hold 400 odd gamers that isnt a tent in a field?
"Forth, and fear no darkness! Arise. Arise, Riders of Theoden. Spears shall be shaken, shields shall be splintered! A sword day... a red day... ere the sun rises. Ride now!... Ride now!... Ride! Ride for ruin and the world's ending!"

Exalted Actual Play: Gem City Watch! || Dark Heresy- Silver Dawn/The Castermere Look/The Beiderbeck Investigation || ASOI&F - A Knights Tale || Cold City: BSG || Rogue Trader: Eastern Fringes Trading Co. || Elric: Inception in the Dreaming City || Masks of Nyarlathotep-7e||Super(Mad)men from the Stars||V20: The Red List|| Dracula Dossier @LongCon2016
SJE has received thanks from the following for this post:
dpmcalister
SJE
17th-level

Postby thenovalord » 9:49pm on 28 Feb 16

What about the bar prices??
thenovalord has received thanks from the following for this post:
Wizball
thenovalord
The Mighty Vest
Playing: Mummys Mask, The Sprawl
Running: Ironfang Invasion
Planning: D&D 5th, Some Kickstarters

Postby Uber_Munchkin » 12:01pm on 01 Mar 16

I don't think the price increase will cause problems for our lot, but I will poll the group and see if anyone would be scuppered by them.
"If you stat it, they will kill it."
--Old GM's Proverb
Uber_Munchkin
4th-level
Playing: D6 Star Wars, Firefly, Shadowrun 5e
Running: Eclipse Phase, Dragon Age, D&D 5e, Shadowrun 5e
Planning: All of the Games

Postby nclarke » 12:24pm on 01 Mar 16

thenovalord wrote:What about the bar prices??

The bar prices at Conception were four pounds a pint and I don't expect they'll be any cheaper for any locations in the other holiday parks.
Nigel
nclarke
9th-level

Postby Rich » 12:24pm on 01 Mar 16

A price hike that big is a d*ck move :-(

If the choice this year is to pay it, or have no Indiecon, I would choose to pay it. But then perhaps we could look to move to a new venue next year?
Rich
1st-level

Postby Uber_Munchkin » 12:33pm on 01 Mar 16

Ok, so the quick response from my group is that the absolute cost is still a pretty damn good deal and we would be prepared to pay the extra costs to support Indiecon this year; however we would prefer it if other alternatives were investigated for next year as we feel that the new owners are being needlessly money grabbing here and don't really want to support or condone that style of business practice.
--Old GM's Proverb
Uber_Munchkin
4th-level

Postby Uber_Munchkin » 12:36pm on 01 Mar 16

nclarke wrote:The bar prices at Conception were four pounds a pint and I don't expect they'll be any cheaper for any locations in the other holiday parks.

That's optimistic of them. I have paid less for drinks in central London.
--Old GM's Proverb
Uber_Munchkin
4th-level

Postby dpmcalister » 12:50pm on 01 Mar 16

Uber_Munchkin wrote:
nclarke wrote:The bar prices at Conception were four pounds a pint and I don't expect they'll be any cheaper for any locations in the other holiday parks.

That's optimistic of them. I have paid less for drinks in central London.

It's simple supply and demand. They have the, only, supply, and we have the demand.
My administrator/moderator voice is RED.

UK Role Players Affiliate Schemes: Amazon :: CafePress :: DriveThruRPG :: D&D Classics :: ProFantasy :: RPGNow
Personal Links: Blog :: Flickr :: LinkedIn :: Twitter
dpmcalister
Administrator
Playing: Angel (home), Night's Black Agents (online)
Running: D&D (home and work)
Planning: Pirates of the Spanish Main (work)

Postby Uber_Munchkin » 1:03pm on 01 Mar 16

dpmcalister wrote:It's simple supply and demand. They have the, only, supply, and we have the demand.

Well, I'm not a big drinker anyway, so I'll just bring something with me to have in the lodge before we finish for an evening, no way I'm paying £4/Pint. :)
--Old GM's Proverb
Uber_Munchkin
4th-level

Postby jonnygray » 1:14pm on 01 Mar 16

I was only lucky enough to go last year because my bro, godbless'im, had payed for a room with two singles and said I could come along for free :D If that doesn't happen again this year, I don't think a struggling artist like myself will be able to afford these prices. :( A pity because I really enjoyed myself at my first Indiecon!
jonnygray has received thanks from the following for this post:
cade_tosscobble, Kaiserjez
jonnygray
50 Shades...
Playing: The Sprawl
Running: Nowt
Planning: To read through my copy of BitD

Postby Elina » 3:16pm on 01 Mar 16

I agree that the price hike is significant in percentage terms and that the Naish administration is banking on a captive market. Equally though, the Naish accommodation prices are still much cheaper than any hotel / convention centre would be and much cheaper than that of other conventions (for example Games Expo).

I agree that it is a good idea to have a look around for alternative venues. If anything, so that you have a view of what the market looks like. I do suspect however that you will not find anything suitable at a lower cost. You never know until you look though!

As for me, the hike in accommodation will not deter me from coming. But I do recognise that others might be more price sensitive.

Elina
Will travel for beer and games!
Elina has received thanks from the following for this post:
Uber_Munchkin
Elina
10th-level

Postby Mist77 » 7:08pm on 02 Mar 16

Inclined to agree with the general sentiment, will not stop me comming. Many other cons the basic accomodation/night is a lot more although if you are prepared to shop about and accept off site accommodation you can undercut the on site accommodation at the more expensive ones (probably getting to around Naish prices).

As to drinks, Conception soon taught them that the critical thing is 'don't let the gamers drink the bar dry' before Indiecon started, so yeah the cost/drink is high (The basic custom for the bar is site residents and holiday makers who are a 'captive' audience just like we become, lack of competition and all that). Undercut almost anything else by heading for the nearest Weatherspoons, which are cheap even in London. But that isn't a few convenient yards from your gaming table! (One of the boons to this years alternate venue for Conception was that Hoburne park has a bar in the main room, you could almost reach the bar from your seat on some tables!) and not everyone likes them.

If some folks can look at other venues ok but I suspect the answer is 'good luck'. This was discussed with regards to Conception many years ago when it became obvious that Con was going to burst the Naish sites ultimate capacity. There are lots of problems changing even in the unlikely case that you find a better deal (there are three different cons/year at the same site for a reason) that does not have major drawbacks or break some of the other critical logistics that make Indiecon work.

One thing that would help in future years is trying to restore the 2 week gap between Indiecon and Consequences, for those of us that do both. A more like month gap would be better (I suspect some people don't do both because they are too close together) but I suspect the interaction with the end of the Naish holiday season precludes that.
Mist77 has received thanks from the following for this post:
dpmcalister
Mist77
6th-level

Postby dpmcalister » 7:15pm on 02 Mar 16

Mist77 wrote:One thing that would help in future years is trying to restore the 2 week gap between Indiecon and Consequences, for those of us that do both. A more like month gap would be better (I suspect some people don't do both because they are too close together) but I suspect the interaction with the end of the Naish holiday season precludes that.

I can't do Consequences and Conception because they are too close together for me ;)
My administrator/moderator voice is RED.

UK Role Players Affiliate Schemes: Amazon :: CafePress :: DriveThruRPG :: D&D Classics :: ProFantasy :: RPGNow
Personal Links: Blog :: Flickr :: LinkedIn :: Twitter
dpmcalister
Administrator
Playing: Angel (home), Night's Black Agents (online)
Running: D&D (home and work)
Planning: Pirates of the Spanish Main (work)

PreviousNext

Return to Indiecon